Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2023 10:30:51 PM EDT
I want something nice, either a SW 41 or a nice wheel gun like a 6" 617.

Since the 617 is a 10 shot, it would be fine for shooting a match, but is a 41 a much better target gun?

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The MKIV 22/45 is a great gun that a lot of folks use for steel plate matches.

Not a revolver, but an option to look into.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By This_Is_Necessary:
The MKIV 22/45 is a great gun that a lot of folks use for steel plate matches.

Not a revolver, but an option to look into.
View Quote

I own that, been using it since they first released it.
 Want something nice,
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 11:16:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#3]
Get a Volquartsen Scorpion.

IMO, it doesn't get nicer than that.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Get a Volquartsen Scorpion.

IMO, it doesn't get nicer than that.

https://assets.volquartsen.com/pictures/800x600-e/3256-1669065384-battleworn-scorpion-1911-4-5-left.jpg
View Quote

That does look neat, but I'm an old man, I want wood and steel.  If I wasn't on a fixed income I'd get "both" as per arfcom however I can only afford either the SW617 or something similar, OR the SW41.  Looking for input from someone who has both, or something similar.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:28:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I shot traditional bullseye competition for decades. I used both a 41 and an older model 17 six shot with equal results. My average on the 30 shot national match course was right around “ expert territory “ at high 260’s to low 270’s.
I just like old school revolvers, so stuck with the 17.
Since bullseye matches are strings of five rounds each, with essentially unlimited time to reload between strings, a six shot is fine. And old blue always looks better than stainless.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:30:37 AM EDT
[#6]
617 is my favorite gun in 40yrs of shooting. Ive shot my friends 41’s and they are fabulous but the 617 does it for me. Shooting double action for groups at 25y is a humbling challenge after banging steel in defensive drills all day. It forces you to focus on fundamentals and rewards mastery of basic skills.

I can confidently assert that you won’t regret buying a 617.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:54:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve owned and used both. Never shot formal matches tho.
They’re both heavy as a brick.
My 41 outshot my 617.
The 41 has a better trigger.
Spare mags are easy to find but are a bit pricey.
The 41 doesn’t have many aftermarket goodies. Holsters for example.
There are a few out there but you have to hunt for them.
The 41 can be very picky on ammo. You’ll need to spring it properly if you use HV ammo. Wolff has springs.
I pretty much used standard velocity CCI in mine.
The factory grips on my 41 were too large for my hand. I hand to swap to a more narrow set. Herrett makes some.

The 617 being a K frame has tons of grips and holsters available.
Being a revolver you can use any and all brands and types of .22 ammo with no issues.
SpeedBeez makes a nifty speedloader and ammo case that works great.
Some brands of ammo stuck in the cylinder on firing. Aquila was really bad. It was a PITA to have to whack the extractor rod to break them loose.

The 41 comes apart easily. It’s easier to clean.
Spare barrels are around for the 41. You have the choice of the 7 or 5inch. There is a 5” lightweight field barrel out there but be prepared for nosebleed prices on them.
The modern currently produced 41 has the top rail for optics and such.
My 41 is circa 1970. It shoots lights out with irons. But my eyes are fading.
I sold the 617 as I have several other .22 revolvers

Another classic you might look at is the Colt Woodsman. Wonderful gun.

Good luck in your search.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 9:03:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lasnyder] [#8]
I've never shot a bullseye match, so not sure of the rules, especially a "casual" match.... if you can use a two handed grip, you might have a problem that I have shooting with both thumbs forward with my M41... I have a tendency to allow my left thumb to drag on the lower slide rail and cause problems.. I shoot Steel Challenge with a Ruger MKIV 22/45 with Volquartsen trigger upgrade, Striplin thumb rests TandemKross grip and a Holosun 510c sight.... completely different animals, so if you can school me on some of the rules....

all of the MKIV  barrels interchange, and Volquartsen has take off models on their clearance site for a reasonable price as well as bolts on their e-bay site... the ability to clean the chamber and remove the bolt to clean the bolt face makes a MKIV a good option for any ammunition intense competitions... Steel Challenge does not require an outstandingly accurate pistol, just a highly reliable one... TandemKross has a good video on youtube on how to modify the magazines, and I've upgraded to the green TK magazine springs... I run CCI Blazer,

Steel Challenge is really a fun sport, but beware of the12 year old little girls that like to embarrass 76 year old men... regards
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Find a nice used stock mk3 22/45 Lite….. get rid of the internal junk via Tandomkross goods, their Victory trig and enjoy…. $ saved for good ammo.  And do TK’s magazine tuning tricks…. Then go get E’m!!

H
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 10:18:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnRippert] [#10]
Find you a nice Model 17/K22 Masterpiece with some target stocks, find the ammo it likes and enjoy.

Damn flyers.

A older Ruger Target with Volquartzen accurizing kit is fairly inexpensive and effective.

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you ruled out European hardware? hammerli/Pardini/Walther used to make some very well-regarded equipment. Many years ago a BE shooter of my acquaintance switched from mod 41 to a Hammerli as a reward to himself for clearing the 2600 mark. Said it didn’t group any better than his custom barreled 41 but the handling characteristics made it easier to shoot those groups. Ymmv.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd go with some version of a VQ pistol. My favorite .22LR handgun is a VQed and polished Ruger MKIII Hunter 4.5". I love shooting my K framed .22s, but when it's time for cleaning, I prefer my pistols. The S&W 41 and some form of tricked out Ruger, in addition to the VQ of course, have been mentioned, but one that is less expensive, comes in black and wood, is reliable, is not ammo finnicky, and does not need an aftermarket trigger, is a Browning Buckmark.  Mine's an older Field Target (5.5" barrel), still offered, and the only thing I've had to do to it was reshape the upper, rear, portion of the grips to better suit my hand.

Happy shopping!

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a lot of 22s

My primary go-tos for serious target work are a S&W 41 with a 7 3/8-inch threaded bbl and a Model 17 (6-shot) with an 8 3/8-inch bbl.

Also like to run a Benelli MP-95E (22 lr and 32 S&W Long wadcutter) and a new 10-shot Colt King Cobra in 22lr at times.

I truly love classic Colt guns but could never get any Woodsman or Huntsman to run reliably. I do have an old Officer's Target Model match revolver in 22lr that's very accurate

Rugers are ok but my MK2 22/45 is integrally suppressed and I wouldn't run a match with it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2023 5:38:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Taipan01] [#14]
I have the 617 but in 4". I use it as a warm-up for my other 6XX's. Just curious but have you thought about upgrading your mark 4?

I've used mostly Tandemkross products and some Volquartsen on both my 22/45 Mark 4 & Tactical Mark 4. It'd make a difference especially by just changing out the trigger alone. Tandemkross provides step by step video instructions on their products. If I were to do it all over again, I would just go with: Trigger kit or just the trigger itself. You can change out the grips if you so desire. There's a bunch of other upgrades but some I've tried and had hit or miss results. It's fairly short money to at least give it a go.

Going with the above kit, you'll also eliminate the magazine disconnect and still fire it safely with the blast shield. The trigger will be between a 2-2.5 lbs. pull.

If you do go this route and follow the video, they will say to keep the lower vertical. What they don't mention is the reason why. If you tilt it, the sear pivot pin will fall out (number 11 in the chart), ask me how I know, and you'll get a bunch of parts in your hand. I wrote them about it. After I got it back together I put masking tape on both sides over the pin then I could flip it around. It's a mark 1 standard breakdown but the idea is illustrated.

Attachment Attached File

The below image is an after of the Tactical after and before upgrading the 22/45.

I removed the front fire-sight that I added as I had to bottom the rear sight out (see the differences in position between the two) to sight it in and put the original back on. I also removed the compensator. For whatever reason I would get 7 bulls eyes and three flyers. Without it I'd get 10 bullseyes. I tried it a few times with the same results. The trigger itself has a pre and post reset position so most of the creep is gone.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry bout my post… I did not read your likes and needs fully….. how bout a round hvy barreled Buck Mark?  There are match triggers out there… wood grips.  Open sights are real nice…

I do like the one poster bout the old S&W 22 revolver.

H
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I have shot UIT based rimfire pistol matches using a Colt OMM, FN International, Walther Gehmann GSP and a Hammerli International in 208 configuration. I have also owned or still own several S&W 41, S&W K-22s, Korths, Ruger MkIIs Beretta 76s etc.

For serious target work I settled for a Hammerli International and got score in the mid 90%. Nowadays used Hammerlis do not cost much more than a vintage S&W 41, or a tandemized Ruger.

Our still unbroken club record of 299/300 was shot with a club owned FN 150 International, those can be found used from $400 to $900, with used factory magazines as expensive as Hammerli mags. The finish of the FN 150 is great and it is as durable as the old Ruger MkII.

If I were on a budget and wanted only one target gun, this would be my choice:

Regular range days to give all guns a work out at least once a year:

Link Posted: 9/24/2023 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#17]
For casual Bullseye shooting the Ruger Mk I through IV target pistols have always been very common.

The MK II was probably the pinnacle with an automatic bolt hold open the MK I lacked, but without the unnecessary magazine safety and loaded chamber indicator on the MK III.

Below is my MK I 6 7/8” target, my Mk II 5 1/2” Target and my Mk II Government model.  The Government Model has a great factory trigger.  The rest benefit from a Volquartzen trigger.

The next step up historically was the S&W Model 41.  Owning both this 1971 model 41 and a more recent 2020 Model 41, I prefer the older pistols.  They both shoot fine, but the quality is better on the older pistols.

They are still available in a couple different barrel lengths, (top, compared to the Model 41 in the picture above),

Back in the day when they were available the Hi Standard 107 Victor was considered to be a slight step above the Model 41.  Like the 41 earlier guns display betrayer quality but they all shoot well.  I shoot a bit higher score with a Victor than a Model 41 on average.  It fits my hand better and has a superior trigger.  

Back when you could get a Mk I target for $110 and a Model 41 for $200, a 107 Victor cost around $240.  Now, a new or used Model 41 will run around $1200 while a Victor can be had for $700-$800, making them a very good value.

The S&W K frame .22 revolvers are an also suitable for Bullseye. I have both a 3rd model K-22 Outdoorsman (a pre Model 17) and a Model 17-3 3T with target grips, hammer and trigger.  I like them both for different reasons.

With the exception of Volquartzen triggers in two of the Rugers  and aftermarket grips on the Govt Model, all of the above are stock handguns.  Most are either collectible or have a good following and they all hold their value or appreciate.  That’s something to think about before you buy a Ruger pistol and then aftermarket the bejeezus out of it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 12:19:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a S&W 41 and I shoot it more than any other firearm I own period. The best firearm purchase I ever made. There is nothing you need to modify on it except buy mags, lots of mags. I will be getting a 617 pretty soon, just because you have to have a 22 revolver, right?
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#19]
For Casual target shooting/plinking Ruger Mk 1-4 Target or Govt Model.

For more serious target shooting like 22 winter postal league or bullseye/ precision etc S&W41, HS, Match prepped Ruger, Hammerlis, Walther,Benelli, Pardini etc.

Personally the S&W41 is way overpriced both old and esp new production. At the prices they sell for buy a used Hammerli 205/208 or a new Xesse instead and have a much better target pistol.

Link Posted: 10/7/2023 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By HBPredhunter:

Since the 617 is a 10 shot, it would be fine for shooting a match, but is a 41 a much better target gun?
View Quote

All I can tell you is at one point I had both...

And in my hands, the 41 was noticeably more accurate than the 617 but I've never really been that accurate with any revolver. Sold the 617 but still have the 41
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By JohnRippert:
A older Ruger Target with Volquartzen accurizing kit is fairly inexpensive and effective.

https://images2.imgbox.com/bf/d0/OKapVKKV_o.jpg
View Quote

This with metal grip and wood grips
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#22]
its 2023 get Volquartsen. S&W Quality and willingness to fix issues is a crapshoot.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Beretta 87 Target
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 2:10:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Could go with the standard manufacturing newly made clones
SG22
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#25]
617. Have owned one for years and put probably 14k thru it.  I like them so much I got a second one.  Once in a blue
Moon it won’t fire a crappy round (golden bullets) but federal, wolf, Eley all go just fine.  I got out of almost all my semi auto 22s.  To be honest they all had ignition, jamming, or other issues.  I think the internet vastly overplays the hype on semi 22s.   I’ve had volquartsen, and built out a lot of niche mk guns over the years.  They all had issues.   Also seemed like it was always chasing the “new shiny part” that was never actually quality tested but looked cool.   Can’t go wrong with a 617.  Sometimes boring is best.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#26]
My response 20 years ago would have been S&W m41.
Today? If you get a good one out of the box go buy a lottery ticket.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#27]
My response 20 years ago would have been S&W m41.
Today? If you get a good one out of the box go buy a lottery ticket.
View Quote

Quality has been hit and miss on them much longer than 20 years.  Once the problems are fixed (if they can be fixed), they can perform very well.  A good 41 is still better than a good Ruger, Buckmark, etc.  Most target 22s will mechanically be capable of holding the 10 ring.  The better pistols and highly modified cheaper pistols will be better.  I higher end pistol may shoot 1.5" at 50 and a basic ruger may shoot 2.5".  It seems the 2.5" may be "good enough" since it is capable of a "perfect" score, but the simple fact is, that extra inch will be a serious disadvantage for a novice or master shooter and scores will be less.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By HBPredhunter:

View Quote

Yes, the 41 will be a much better target gun than the 617, but so will most quality autoloading target 22LR's.  The 617 is a nice gun, but most revolvers just don't have the accuracy potential of a good automatic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top