Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2024 7:14:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586]
I have quite a few .22LR pistols and rifles. I saw one of these VZ61’s with the .22 upper on an NFA page and knew I needed to try one. I’ll just say it’s fun. And beyond that…it’s super reliable. I’m at 1160rnds suppressed without oiling or cleaning and only one stoppage…which was a dud round. And that’s rare…because this thing smacks the primer much harder than most .22’s. It eats cheap junk .22 ammo like candy. So most of that I’ve put through it are Remington Golden Bullet and Thunderbolts. Only “gripe” is the 20rnd mags are difficult to load. I have a mag loader on the way. I think they’ll loosen up over time but id still consider the mag loader a must. It will be even more fun as an SBR with the top fold stock.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I did not know those were not at 32acp! Pretty cool!
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
They are. I have an original .32 acp upper. They are also available in .380 and 9x18 mak. But the .22 upper is what makes these a special kind of fun. Super cheap to shoot, accurate, and reliable. I can keep a rapid fire 20rnd string onto a 12” diameter section of log at 25 yds. I’ll put it on paper one of these weekends.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:55:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mx5autoxer] [#3]
I have a vz61 that is a total blast in .32 but my God the price of that little round is insane.  I've considered a. 22 upper.  How do you get the front pivot pin out? It's just like an AR pin but won't travel the last little bit to release the upper,  at least on mine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:59:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#4]
There’s a pass through hole on the cross pin so you can depress the detent. I use a thumbtack. It’s easy enough with a little practice. Just don’t pull the pin all the way out or you’ll launch the detent and spring across the room. I can do a video if you can’t figure it out.

I can’t recommend the .22 conversion enough. It’s very high quality and thus far it’s the most reliable semi auto .22 I own. My Ruger MK3 won’t make it past about 1100 rnds suppressed before it starts to choke several times per mag. This thing just eats. Just get a mag loader and at least 3 additional mags (for 5 total).
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Actiondiver:
I did not know those were not at 32acp! Pretty cool!
View Quote

They are. I have the 32 and 380 pistols and the 22 upper like OP's. I've had them for a good bit and still haven't shot them.
Thanks, OP. Your video is going to make me finally take them out! I've been buying/hoarding ammo for them since before I bought them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:03:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raygixxer89] [#6]
Originally Posted By mx5autoxer:
I have a vz61 that is a total blast in .32 but my God the price of that little round is insane.  I've considered a. 22 upper.  How do you get the front pivot pin out? It's just like an AR pin but won't travel the last little bit to release the upper,  at least on mine.
View Quote

You need to take the locking pin out. It looks pretty easy to do if you watch some videos. Just don't lose the tiny, tiny pin!
The 22 upper is VERY high quality.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been tempted a couple times with those .22 uppers. I've got a ton of .22 firearms so I've never bit the bullet, but the ones I've seen in person the build quality is excellent.
Sweet pick up op
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Do it. Theyre obnoxiously fun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mx5autoxer:
View Quote

i paid $18.69 a box for 32 last week. not too bad
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been really trying hard to NOT buy one of these. This.did.not.help...
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#11]
You won’t do it…

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:08:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#12]
Finally starting to choke a bit. Had one stoppage right before the 2000 rnd mark and a second at about the 2360 rnd mark. I’m stopping the test at this point because that’s enough data for me to be comfortable with the reliability of the .22 conversion and mags. The bag, 12 loaded mags, and VZ with can wouldn’t make a bad bug out setup to accompany a AR. Reliable, quiet, and while .22 is nowhere near ideal I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of 20 rnds on tap. Time to clean this thing next weekend.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread has added Vz61 parts kits and receivers to my "pay attention to sales" watch list.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:03:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#14]
Originally Posted By Plumber576:
This thread has added Vz61 parts kits and receivers to my "pay attention to sales" watch list.
View Quote

@Plumber576

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/2009430

https://bowmanarms.com/shop-all/vz-61-bowman-battle-pack-free-barrel/

I just bought another Numrichs kit for the receiver stubs. Reweld is next on the agenda.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

@Plumber576

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/2009430

https://bowmanarms.com/shop-all/vz-61-bowman-battle-pack-free-barrel/

I just bought another Numrichs kit for the receiver stubs. Reweld is next on the agenda.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#16]
The Numrich kits are nice.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top