Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2023 1:06:12 PM EDT
I’ve been mainly buying Blazer Brass 124 gr for stacking since I already have the SD ammo stacked that I need.  I’ve never really paid much attention to sealed vs unsealed primers when deciding what to buy.  Should I be?

Should I only be buying sealed primer ammo to stack?

If so, any recommendations on good, sealed 124 gr 9mm?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Sealing primers or specifically buying sealed primers is 99.9% of the time a complete waste of resources and time imo.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sealing primers or specifically buying sealed primers is 99.9% of the time a complete waste of resources and time imo.
View Quote

100% agree. I have unsealed primer ammo I have shot or is still in my stash that dates back at least to the 1950’s. Works fine
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Not needed, unless you plan on maritime operations.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

100% agree. I have unsealed primer ammo I have shot or is still in my stash that dates back at least to the 1950’s. Works fine
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you, both, for that feedback!
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not needed, unless you plan on maritime operations.
View Quote

Good point…although, Oregon feels like it’s under water 8 months out of the year…LOL
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I pretty much only stack double sealed ammunition for long term storage and shtf use. Crossing a river, in a rain for three days etc. There is a reason why militaries around the world spec it, and it’s not just maritime operations.

Now if the ammo only has sealed primers, then it’s no different to me than non sealed primers.

Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#7]
By "Stacking" I assume you mean storing/hoarding/etc.? Assuming so, no, I don't worry about sealed primers at all. Especially not for something like 9mm FMJ's which is just range/blasting ammo anyway.

I worry more about how well does the ammo store as in... how well does it fit into something like a 50cal ammo can? CCI Blazers come in an overly large box for that so that's is not the ammo I like to store. Most of my long term storage 9mm is Remington UNC ammo (White box, green writing) because I can get 20 boxes (1K rds) in one 50cal ammo can. You can do that with some other brands like Fiocchi as well.

When I buy CCI, its for more immediate use. You can easily put 1000k loose rds in a 30cal ammo can and that's what I use for the range.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I pretty much only stack double sealed ammunition for long term storage and shtf use. Crossing a river, in a rain for three days etc. There is a reason why militaries around the world spec it, and it’s not just maritime operations.

Now if the ammo only has sealed primers, then it’s no different to me than non sealed primers.

View Quote

Good point, as well…mostly, I’ve only seen sealed primer 9mm, but maybe I’ve just missed the double sealed options.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
By "Stacking" I assume you mean storing/hoarding/etc.? Assuming so, no, I don't worry about sealed primers at all. Especially not for something like 9mm FMJ's which is just range/blasting ammo anyway.

I worry more about how well does the ammo store as in... how well does it fit into something like a 50cal ammo can? CCI Blazers come in an overly large box for that so that's is not the ammo I like to store. Most of my long term storage 9mm is Remington UNC ammo (White box, green writing) because I can get 20 boxes (1K rds) in one 50cal ammo can. You can do that with some other brands like Fiocchi as well.

When I buy CCI, its for more immediate use. You can easily put 1000k loose rds in a 30cal ammo can and that's what I use for the range.
View Quote

Yep, for storing to eventually shoot or for SHTF.  Great point about the size of the box.  The Blazer boxes are excessively ginormous.  That’s been the hardest part of trying to store them.  I’ve been using the Fat boy cans for them, but I’d rather be able to use a regular 50 cal can.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  Unless you're needing it to survive austere transport through war zones and poor storage conditions, it's pointless.

For stacking at the house, just put it in airtight cans.  You're already doing that, right?
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This.  Unless you're needing it to survive austere transport through war zones and poor storage conditions, it's pointless.

For stacking at the house, just put it in airtight cans.  You're already doing that, right?
View Quote

Yes sir!  Metal ammo cans with desiccant packs.  Most of my ammo cans are from a local store, so they are chinesium.  They look to have good seals, but I have noticed the military surplus ones I have seem to hold a better seal and the desiccant packs last longer, so that’s a bummer because I have way more of the non-surplus ones.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Good point, as well…mostly, I’ve only seen sealed primer 9mm, but maybe I’ve just missed the double sealed options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s difficult to find at times as far as 9mm goes.  Personally I own several cases of PPU 9mm 124gr nato that is double sealed. Earlier this year I bought a 1152rd  case of polish Mesko 9mm nato for about $275 shipped and it’s double sealed. Here is a thread on it.

Buffman just did a review video and post here on ppu range master 124gr that’s double  sealed.

I’ll also add it’s not just the storing of the ammo, it’s the possible shtf environment(this is way more of a concern).   There are plenty of reviews/tests done on unsealed ammunition in wet environments.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It’s difficult to find at times as far as 9mm goes.  Personally I own several cases of PPU 9mm 124gr nato that is double sealed. Earlier this year I bought a 1152rd  case of polish Mesko 9mm nato for about $275 shipped and it’s double sealed. Here is a thread on it.

Buffman just did a review video and post here on ppu range master 124gr that’s double  sealed.

I’ll also add it’s not just the storing of the ammo, it’s the possible shtf environment(this is way more of a concern).   There are plenty of reviews/tests done on unsealed ammunition in wet environments.
View Quote

Thank you!  I’ll check out that Mesko and the PPU.  Would be nice to stack a little of something else, too.

You know of a good place for the PPU Rangemaster?
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 12:29:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Natchez has PPU rangemaster.
It not very cheap.
.28cpr before tax or shipping.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thank you!  I’ll check out that Mesko and the PPU.  Would be nice to stack a little of something else, too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC  This stuff is double sealed as well and cheaper than the current ppu.

Buffman did a review on this ammo as well. Here is the YouTube link of the review.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

IIRC  This stuff is double sealed as well and cheaper than the current ppu.

Buffman did a review on this ammo as well. Here is the YouTube link of the review.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/26/2023 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Metallic cartridges without sealant are incredibly resistant to moisture.
In my duck hunting days, it was not uncommon to retrieve a shotgun shell ( MUCH less water resistant than a metallic cartridge) that had been submerged in the bottom of boat or blind for multiple days and still fire fine.

Conditions would have to get pretty extreme before it would matter.

To add to my previous post some of the  oldest ammo I have ever fired (and still went off no problem !) was made in the 90’s- the 1890’s!
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 1:53:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Metallic cartridges without sealant are incredibly resistant to moisture.
In my duck hunting days, it was not uncommon to retrieve a shotgun shell ( MUCH less water resistant than a metallic cartridge) that had been submerged in the bottom of boat or blind for multiple days and still fire fine.

Conditions would have to get pretty extreme before it would matter.

To add to my previous post some of the  oldest ammo I have ever fired (and still went off no problem !) was made in the 90’s- the 1890’s!
View Quote

That’s crazy, and awesome!  I’m not going to worry too much about it, but if I can find some sealed 9mm, of good quality, for about the same as the Blazer Brass then I’ll probably snag it.

I have to say it doesn’t seem easy to find sealed target/range ammo from the major ammo companies, unless I’m just missing it.

I took a look at the SAR ammo, and it sounds like it has pretty slow velocity for NATO 124 gr, but it is a nice price right now at $229.99/1000.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Throw it all in a good ammo can and it’s sealed.

I’ve pulled unsealed primer ammo out of the bottom of the washing machine many times and have always stick it in a pocket of my range bag to shoot separately, and have never had one not go bang.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 4:55:03 AM EDT
[#20]
5 gram silica gel packets are $20/200 on Amazon.  If you have ammo cans, loose ammo, anything that isn't sealed, toss one or two of them in just to help remove any surface moisture that may occur from temperature and humidity changes and call it good.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I’d be more concerned with avoiding lead free primers and ensuring it’s a true FMJ not plated bullet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’d be more concerned with avoiding lead free primers and ensuring it’s a true FMJ not plated bullet.
View Quote

I’m listening…got a list or recommendation?
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO the Winchester 9mm NATO 124gr FMJ is outstanding 'stack it deep' ammo.  (get the NATO version...)

it's not much more than cheap blasting FMJ but gets you some additional features

9mm NATO Win 124 gr
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

IMO the Winchester 9mm NATO 124gr FMJ is outstanding 'stack it deep' ammo.  (get the NATO version...)

it's not much more than cheap blasting FMJ but gets you some additional features

9mm NATO Win 124 gr
View Quote

I agree, that's the best that's currently available.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm NATO Win 124 gr

How about M1152?
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How about M1152?
View Quote

i've never personally shot any of that -- but i have read good stuff about it.  it is pretty spicy -- basically a +P cartridge.

the negative - to me anyway -- is that it is priced at a pretty high premium for fmj.

i don't think the value is there vs the 124gr NATO round

ymmv
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Win 124 gr NATO or the sealed PPU 124 gr?

I’m not sure why, but the PPU has my interest, lately.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Win 124 gr NATO or the sealed PPU 124 gr?

I’m not sure why, but the PPU has my interest, lately.
View Quote

For stacking I’d do the Double sealed PPU

Years ago the win nato was sealed. I can’t remember the last win nato I bought that even had sealed primers. They went from sealed to intermittently sealed to non sealed on the civilian market. I do still buy it for range fodder.

Does the US military still have a contract for Win 124gr 9mm nato?

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Years ago the win nato was sealed. I can’t remember the last win nato I bought that even had sealed primers. They went from sealed to intermittently sealed to non sealed on the civilian market. I do still buy it for range fodder.

View Quote

Before I order, does True Shot have any Arfcom codes?
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure on the arfcom codes. IIRC the last time I ordered from them I found a code by Google but not sure.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

that looks good

i'm a fan of PPU
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top