User Panel

Springfeild's New Gun (Page 8 of 8)
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NN300BLK:

Any particular reason to be aware of or consider (too light, trigger reach, grip circumference, etc.)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
Try as I may, I just can't shoot the Echelon as well as any of my other pistols. I'm going to let it go.

Any particular reason to be aware of or consider (too light, trigger reach, grip circumference, etc.)?

Primary consideration is that it does not point at all naturally for me. I'm constantly pointing higher than I do with any of my Sigs, or even a Glock. I have to focus hard to bring it down on target for each shot. The weight doesn't bother me, nor the trigger or grip circumference. I do think it needs a more substantial thumb rest/gas pedal.

I really wanted to like it; it's a good design, and by all reports, including my own, very reliable. The U-sight is actually good for older eyes, though I put a red dot on it. But it just doesn't work, for me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Primary consideration is that it does not point at all naturally for me. I'm constantly pointing higher than I do with any of my Sigs, or even a Glock. I have to focus hard to bring it down on target for each shot. The weight doesn't bother me, nor the trigger or grip circumference. I do think it needs a more substantial thumb rest/gas pedal.

I really wanted to like it; it's a good design, and by all reports, including my own, very reliable. The U-sight is actually good for older eyes, though I put a red dot on it. But it just doesn't work, for me.
View All Quotes
Try as I may, I just can't shoot the Echelon as well as any of my other pistols. I'm going to let it go.

Ah, I see. Thank you for your detailed response.

Yeah, being naturally pointing is pretty important-- funny enough, the XD did that better for me which is why I chose the XD platform over Glock.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 6:04:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Melvin_Johnson] [#3]
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
Geneseo Police Department has adopted the Echelon for duty carry. Reportedly the guns will be outfitted with X300 lights and RMR dots.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/intel/press-releases/springfield-armory-announces-geneseo-police-departments-adoption-of-echelon-9mm-pistol/

And also Henry County, IL.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/intel/press-releases/springfield-armory-announces-henry-county-sheriffs-office-adoption-of-echelon-9mm-pistol/
View Quote

I'd like to see the financials of those deals

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By wganz:

Got one held in the LGS.  
View Quote

Got it home and it’s going with me to the farm this weekend to get broken in.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DavidY:

View All Quotes
Geneseo Police Department has adopted the Echelon for duty carry. Reportedly the guns will be outfitted with X300 lights and RMR dots.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/intel/press-releases/springfield-armory-announces-geneseo-police-departments-adoption-of-echelon-9mm-pistol/

https://www.springfield-armory.com/intel/press-releases/springfield-armory-announces-henry-county-sheriffs-office-adoption-of-echelon-9mm-pistol/

It was probably the return for selling us down the river.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

View All Quotes

I take your comment is in jest.

I don't think a small police department is going to reward a gun company for something like that.  I do expect the town that the company is based in to have gotten guns far below cost if not free. Free duty gear on top of that?  

The coincidence of location is hard to ignore.

I'm not saying it's not a good weapon, but when you're the first one to adopt it, you're making a bold step.  At least it's not a boring Glock 17 like everybody else

Plus waiting 4 years when these get traded in and hit the market
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder when we'll start to see aftermarket frames or slides.  I'd like to see a Flux style system, personally.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#9]

I don't think a small police department is going to reward a gun company for something like that.  I do expect the town that the company is based in to have gotten guns far below cost if not free. Free duty gear on top of that?  

I'm not saying it's not a good weapon, but when you're the first one to adopt it, you're making a bold step.  At least it's not a boring Glock 17 like everybody else

View All Quotes

They did sell us down the river, but I doubt the folks in those towns are actively a part of it. Maybe they received some "grants" to pay for the pistols from the state? I wouldn't doubt that for a second.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a tech forum, not GD. Shouldn't the discussion be more or less limited to the Echelon?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#11]
This is a tech forum, not GD. Shouldn't the discussion be more or less limited to the Echelon?
View Quote

It is.  

Springfield's hometown Police department is adopting the gun. For any agency of any reputation to adopt a Springfield Armory handgun is incredibly rare, there's discussion of how that came about.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:21:39 AM EDT
[#12]

It is.  

Springfield's hometown Police department is adopting the gun. For any agency of any reputation to adopt a Springfield Armory handgun is incredibly rare, there's discussion of how that came about.
View Quote

I was talking about the 2017 IFMA controversy references.

In terms of the police adoption, wasn't the XD approved for use by or adopted by multiple PD's?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:12:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidY] [#13]

In terms of the police adoption, wasn't the XD approved for use by or adopted by multiple PD's?
View Quote

In the United States?  No offense, but whiskey tango flapjacks

Unless it's some hole in the wall PD with five people, I just can't see any police department in the last 20 years adopting the XD or XDM.  Allowing? I've seen departments that allowed anything except single action revolvers.  I don't think that accounts for much.

Just on pricing alone, I can't see beating Glock pricing, plus literally having the pick of any duty gear made being available.

I know I've seen used XD's for sale that were listed as trade-ins, but I talked that up to either foreign sales or creative salesman selling guns from security companies.  

Getting back to the Echelon. It's essentially the same size as a Glock 17. It certainly has advantages in optics mounting and having modular grip frames if a department was open minded enough to allow people to choose from different versions (something I'm sure p320 users have to deal with in some agencies).

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#14]
This post is 50% bump and 50% update.

I've got 1712 rounds (mostly suppressed) with no functional issues. The only problem I've had was the optics cover plate coming off around 300 rounds.

really looking forward to/hoping for more 3rd party stuff and a compact version w/ kit to convert existing guns to.
Kinda disappointed that there wasn't any thing announced for it at shot.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:

I've got 1712 rounds (mostly suppressed) with no functional issues. The only problem I've had was the optics cover plate coming off around 300 rounds.

really looking forward to/hoping for more 3rd party stuff and a compact version w/ kit to convert existing guns to.
Kinda disappointed that there wasn't any thing announced for it at shot
View Quote

It does feel sort of like this platform isn't going to get the support/aftermarket that it deserves.  Hopefully I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 1:40:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Stonia:

It does feel sort of like this platform isn't going to get the support/aftermarket that it deserves.  Hopefully I'm wrong.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stonia:

Kinda disappointed that there wasn't any thing announced for it at shot

If I recall right, it took like a year or so to get manual safeties for the Hellcat and the Hellcat Pro, so the new variants of the Echelon might take a while to roll out for one reason or another.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I really want a FDE/Coyote flavor but I'll probably cave before it shows up.  As soon as I do, it'll come out the next week.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Findsman:
I really want a FDE/Coyote flavor but I'll probably cave before it shows up.  As soon as I do, it'll come out the next week.  
View Quote
I purchased a frame and sent it to a fellow arfcommer and had him Cerakote it for me.

I didn't do the slide because ultimately I want a compact version and that'll be a smaller/different slide so I went the cheap route
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#20]

New colors now available:

https://store.springfield-armory.com/echelon-grip-module/
View Quote

If I had just waited

really wish they would have the large frame with the normal texture. While I love the aggressive, it does get a little too rough on my back.

hope The compacts are on the way
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#21]

If I had just waited

really wish they would have the large frame with the normal texture. While I love the aggressive, it does get a little too rough on my back.

hope The compacts are on the way
View Quote

Would an under-shirt help? Or, in Texas does the humidity plus heat equal a no go?

Do you like the Echelon as a carry option otherwise?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Would an under-shirt help? Or, in Texas does the humidity plus heat equal a no go?

Do you like the Echelon as a carry option otherwise?
View Quote
An undershirt would help keep the rough texture off the skin. I mostly wear tshirts even in winter but having something better the skin and the grip would certainly help.

I like it as a carry gun. It's barely small enough to be carried in my opinion.. but carries nicely.
when/if they come out with a compact version that will be hard to beat.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#23]
An undershirt would help keep the rough texture off the skin. I mostly wear tshirts even in winter but having something better the skin and the grip would certainly help.

I like it as a carry gun. It's barely small enough to be carried in my opinion.. but carries nicely.
when/if they come out with a compact version that will be hard to beat.
View Quote

Yeah, full-size handguns are a bridge too far for me, but the weight seems really appealing. I'm going to assume that a compact version would be slightly lighter as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Thought I'd share what my nephew that works at a local gun store told me last night.

He said the Springfield rep paid them a visit last week and told them that a compact version was on the way but also different designs for the frames or grip modules.

we recently got colors but he said the Springfield rep said to expect different textures, colors shapes.. etc.

this could just be a rep blowing smoke or it could be legit and Springfield is about to get into Sigs game.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#25]
He said the Springfield rep paid them a visit last week and told them that a compact version was on the way but also different designs for the frames or grip modules.
View Quote

I really like the Echelon concept and design, but I’m not really looking for another full size pistol. I’d like to see a “Carry” version with a shorter slide but full length grip for the existing 17-round magazines, as well as a 15-round compact.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

I really like the Echelon concept and design, but I’m not really looking for another full size pistol. I’d like to see a “Carry” version with a shorter slide but full length grip for the existing 17-round magazines, as well as a 15-round compact.
View Quote

I'd like see a full-size slide on a compact frame like the Glock 49.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I wanna see a full range of slides and frames to allow mixing and matching of parts.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:43:33 AM EDT
[#28]

I'd like see a full-size slide on a compact frame like the Glock 49.
View Quote

I mean... a replacement grip frame is only $60-ish, since it's all plastic it's easy to trim down to size with woodworking tools. Just need to mix-and-match the 10-round and 15-round magazines to make a 'short' 10-rounder, and this is the result. I had changed to the 'large' frame so the original 'medium' was just sitting in a drawer, only took about 30-45 minutes total.

This is the real genius of the COG system, the grip frame itself is just boring plastic, it's harmless to carve it up and customize it for comfort or things like this since it's so cheap to get another grip frame.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Just bought another echelon to send off to Monsoon for a Lucky 7s job
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok  since i got the gun,  I put approx 900 rounds through it.  No malfunctions and only cleaned once.

Since then, I installed the Powder River Precision trigger.  Cleaned it up and put another 425 rounds through it.  No malfunctions and both the gun and trigger are breaking in nicely.  Plan to put another 700 rounds to hit the 2k mark.  Than I'll measure the trigger pull weight to see where it rest it.  I'm  impressed so far with this pistol
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Just ordered the Powder River trigger setup. Watched their install video. Looks easier than doing my P365's. How was it for you? Waiting for Patriot Precision to ship the Comp,mag-well and mag base plates.
Already did a modification to the back strap to get the red dot pointing naturally for me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Not to bad.  There is a part where you have to line up some tiny parts which can be challenging.  Initially I used their return spring but found it too light on the reset and swap it out for the OEM one.
That gave me a more positive reset.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I also used the Springer Precision base extension with mbx xdm spring and follower.  Gets me 23+1.
With the TTI base i only get 22+1.

Also the MBX xdm follower isn't a perfect match as you have to tweak the angle of the follower or it'll want to push through the top of the mag after feeding the last round.

If you're using the the Echelon for USPSA, the Springer pads fit the 140mm gauge.  The TTI ones also pass but is a couple millimeters shorter
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By kenndogg:
Ok  since i got the gun,  I put approx 900 rounds through it.  No malfunctions and only cleaned once.

Since then, I installed the Powder River Precision trigger.  Cleaned it up and put another 425 rounds through it.  No malfunctions and both the gun and trigger are breaking in nicely.  Plan to put another 700 rounds to hit the 2k mark.  Than I'll measure the trigger pull weight to see where it rest it.  I'm  impressed so far with this pistol
View Quote

Ill be waiting to see this
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Put another 725 rounds through it today.  Officially over 2k rounds total.   Over 1100 rounds with the PRP trigger.   Absolutely no malfunctions.
Digital trigger pull gauge shows it pulls at 3.75 lbs.  I swear it feels lighter.

My Echelon has the large aggressive grips with small backstrap.  Fits my hands perfectly and i tend to wear small/medium gloves.

Have Springer Precision guide rod with a 14 lb recoil spring.

Holosun 507Comp on slide.

Ammo used include Federal 115 & 124 gr fmj, S&B 115 gr fmj, Scorpio  115 gr fmj,
Handload ammo federal small pistol primers, Ginex small pistol primers and CCI small pistol primers.
Projectiles include Privi 115 gr JHP, Hotnady 124 fmj, Berry's plated 124 & 147 gr, Brass Monkey 137 gr coated

This is a great successor to the  XD/XDM line.
Hopefully many 3rd party manufacturers will produce parts and upgrades.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Put another 725 rounds through it today.  Officially over 2k rounds total.   Over 1100 rounds with the PRP trigger.   Absolutely no malfunctions.
Digital trigger pull gauge shows it pulls at 3.75 lbs.  I swear it feels lighter.

My Echelon has the large aggressive grips with small backstrap.  Fits my hands perfectly and i tend to wear small/medium gloves.

Have Springer Precision guide rod with a 14 lb recoil spring.

Holosun 507Comp on slide.

Ammo used include Federal 115 & 124 gr fmj, S&B 115 gr fmj, Scorpio  115 gr fmj,
Handload ammo federal small pistol primers, Ginex small pistol primers and CCI small pistol primers.
Projectiles include Privi 115 gr JHP, Hotnady 124 fmj, Berry's plated 124 & 147 gr, Brass Monkey 137 gr coated

This is a great successor to the  XD/XDM line.
Hopefully many 3rd party manufacturers will produce parts and upgrades.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:23:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Findsman] [#38]

I saw that and took a look at their products - nothing really jumped out at me that looked especially good.  I guess I’m happy for them and their fans, maybe others will jump in.

I finally picked mine mine today; went with the mall ninja threaded barrel version since it’s a full size combat/duty gun.  Swapped the grip for the green module and put a cam-lok adapter on the barrel since I’ve standardized on that as a universal silencer mount.  I have a Truglo XR24 that I’ll put on tomorrow to finish it out.

Initial non-shooting impression is pretty good.  I like the trigger over the stock Glock trigger.  That’s not a high bar but I also am very comfortable with the Glock so it’s like old sweatpants to me.

The default and green modules I tried are the medium standard texture ones and they are pretty spot-on.  Changing out the grip wasn’t horrible but that fucking take down lever sucks.  I may have been doing something wrong but it was excessively challenging to get it back together for whatever reason.

I’ll try to get a pic up tomorrow.  I like it though.  The FN 509CT I usually carry could be in danger if they make a comparable model.  

Edit - pic!  Found an old Olight PL-Mini in the closet that I threw on.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Findsman:

I saw that and took a look at their products - nothing really jumped out at me that looked especially good.  I guess I’m happy for them and their fans, maybe others will jump in.

I finally picked mine mine today; went with the mall ninja threaded barrel version since it’s a full size combat/duty gun.  Swapped the grip for the green module and put a cam-lok adapter on the barrel since I’ve standardized on that as a universal silencer mount.  I have a Truglo XR24 that I’ll put on tomorrow to finish it out.

Initial non-shooting impression is pretty good.  I like the trigger over the stock Glock trigger.  That’s not a high bar but I also am very comfortable with the Glock so it’s like old sweatpants to me.

The default and green modules I tried are the medium standard texture ones and they are pretty spot-on.  Changing out the grip wasn’t horrible but that fucking take down lever sucks.  I may have been doing something wrong but it was excessively challenging to get it back together for whatever reason.

I’ll try to get a pic up tomorrow.  I like it though.  The FN 509CT I usually carry could be in danger if they make a comparable model.  
View Quote

I don't have any Icarus stuff, but they're pretty popular. Doesn't say if they're doing metal or polymer.  Just happy to see the aftermarket picking up.  I have a cam lok adapter on mine too.  I wish the barrel was about 1/2" shorter.  The adapter feels like it sticks out a mile. It'd be nice if the threading started just past the slide.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:18:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:
Looks like a sword
View Quote

HA!!  Now that was funny!!  
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Springfeild's New Gun (Page 8 of 8)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top