Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2024 1:30:15 AM EDT
I reviewed the original 40gr loading from Speer back in 2020, and felt that it was a decent upgrade over SS197SR. After launch they said the bullet was revised to better feed in the Ruger 57. It went from a 6 petal design to a 4 petal rifle like design. There are varying debates on the validity of clear gel, but I feel we went backwards with this 5.7 load. They pulled 100 fps from it. Overall this load is not something I'd recommend in 5.7 for any SD/LE/PP role unless all you could get otherwise was SS197SR..

5.7x28mm, 40gr JHP, Speer Gold Dot 2022+ (25728GD) by Buffman RANGE, on Flickr

5.7x28mm, 40gr JHP, Speer Gold Dot Revised

2020 Review:
5.7x28mm, Speer Gold Dot, 40gr JHP

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:04:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Good lord, they made it 100fps slower.

I guess it's SS197 for eternity then.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I get really tired of companies "revisions" and generations of loadings and bullets where it becomes hard to know what is what.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the bullet world of "shrinkfaltion"
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The watering down of the 5.7 will do what watering down of the 10mm did to it during the 90’s.
Folks will just see watered down ballistics and say who cares about this also run, round and popularity will decline.

Not to mention I bought some of this crap while unaware of the changes.  So I paid a premium for just some more crappy training ammo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't understand why they made the Gold Dot in 5.7 and then have a disclaimer saying not to use it in a PS-90 magazine.  

Why make a cartridge that doesn't feed in the most popular and well known firearm of that caliber?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't understand why they made the Gold Dot in 5.7 and then have a disclaimer saying not to use it in a PS-90 magazine.  

Why make a cartridge that doesn't feed in the most popular and well known firearm of that caliber?
View Quote
The P90 has no feed ramp. The open tip of the bullet and lack of collet crimp can spell doom for feeding in P90 magazine systems. Did they since remove that warning? I don't see it on their website.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top