Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2024 2:57:09 PM EDT
I dryfire quite a bit and one of the areas I'm regularly working on is my reloads. I would get some weird hang ups while doing reloads and eventually discovered my OEM magazine brakes were in terrible condition...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I replaced them with the CZ Custom stainless steel magazine brakes and had good results... for awhile.

I've recently noticed more hang ups during dryfire and last week I pulled the grips to find the brake had been bent back far enough that the magazines would catch on the studs for the grip screws.

I bent the magazine brake back out and everything seemed fine until today. During dryfire I had multiple hang ups. I've recreated the issue in the photo below
Attachment Attached File

I ordered some Springer Precision magazine brakes. They're made in a way that it shouldn't bend and cause hang ups... will let you all know how they work after I use them for awhile
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve never had that occur over SP01 Shadows/Tacticals, P01/PCR over more than ten years.

That magazine brake looks fucked, got a video of how you reload? Not trying to blame you but it might be that hardware solution to a software problem.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 7:55:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#2]
I dont have any just showing reloads... I doubt I've got any on here that even show that sort of hang up, but you can check my IG...
https://www.instagram.com/king_pews?igsh=OGQ5ZDc2ODk2ZA==

Those are mainly with my carry gun and match gun though, so the magazine brake has a lot less use and wear.

It isn't a regular hangup, but when it happens, it's usually after I've inserted the mag and I'm just contacting it with the butt of my palm... imagine someone trying to balance a pole on their hand, it looks kind of like that, but it's mainly me trying to push the mag the rest of the way into the gun.

My dryfire magazines are also the mecgar mags, so they have an extra lip on the front that can catch the front of the magwell... because of that, I tend to push the magazine into the back of the magwell, hence the riding on the magazine brake.

Edit: cut down a clip that shows a reload
https://youtube.com/shorts/cv6jq7eFvOw?si=33Qda5XPDr09Z8NC
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on Master!

Looking at that last video and reading your description - I reload higher and more towards the front strap. Do you feel a lot of tension/force in your mag changes? The mag brake is saying yes lol.

My dry fire mag usually is Mec Gar or ACT.

I think it was Gabe White that talked on how relaxed you have to be for a great mag changes - I try to avoid that scrunchy reload face you seen on some guys, and go for that “nothing but net” feel. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!
I usually have a small amount of resistance as the magazine is sliding against something...

Though, I'll occasionally get the buttery smooth perfect insert

The last few days I've been working on higher reload, but thats mainly been as a reminder to focus on the magwell
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:01:49 AM EDT
[#5]
New magazine breaks are installed and used in a dry fire session.

Attachment Attached File

Really happy with them so far. No "internal" hang ups... any bad reloads were firmly my fault!

One thing to note, these are kept from moving by a pin at the top, and the grip screws. My Lok grip screws were not long enough to hold the magazine break in place, so I grabbed a screw from the factory grip, and just one of those seems to be enough to hold it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:06:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BMSMB] [#6]
I was a bit surprised to discover the magazine brake in my competition gun was bent back enough to allow the hang ups as well... it has not been used anywhere near as much as my practice gun.
Attachment Attached File

The face of the CZ Custom stainless steel magazine brakes held up really well. The bottom one was my practice gun and has a bit more marring than the competition one.
Attachment Attached File

You can also see it isn't nearly as bent as the one from my practice gun, so I was pretty surprised to discover it was far enough back to allow the internal hangup.
Attachment Attached File

Edit: thinking on this some more, im curious if the CZ Custom magazine brake is also reliant on longer grip screws to keep it pushed forward...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top