Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 9/2/2023 8:55:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aperdue]
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Best I can do is $50.00
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Contacting the Colt Archives would be a good step.

They can provide information as to the when & the
who ordered it, where it shipped to, etc.

Another resource would be Turnbull Restorations.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Z591ufwh23g

And, when in doubt, YouTube has many gun restoration
videos worthy of your time and attention.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheKinzlerBros
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally I wouldn’t do anything else with it. It’s actually in pretty decent shape, looks more like damage from poor storage than anything else. Oil it up, preserve it the best you can.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#4]
https://www.texasranger.org/
You might call the Texas Ranger Museum and ask to speak to the person in charge of historic firearms before altering it.  Knowing who you got it from and info from Colt regarding where it was originally shipped will be helpful especially if it's early Texas history.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Cleaning by soaking in something like Kroil or Ballistol then using something like brass chore boy to get rid of the rust is reasonable.

Once in functional condition go shoot it.

Someone like turnbull can do incredible work on these ( I toured his shop years ago - people had guns under microscopes restoring marking and such) and it will cost thousands of dollars, and you will still end up with a gun no more valuable than as it currently sits.

Avoid steel wool or heavy cleaning methods, just get the rust off and keep it oiled in the future
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Over at Coltforum.com there is a Single Action Army sub forum with some really knowledgeable members there .
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Id brush it a bit more, buy a belt and holster, a lot of ammo and shoot it.

Keep it and pass it down to my kids or grandkids
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aperdue:
Would it be ok to clean it with a brass brush to remove the surface rust or would that be too aggressive? I don’t want to go crazy with cleaning it, I just don’t want the corrosion to get any worse. The pictures are a little deceptive, a lot of the little corrosion dots are actually red rust dots
View Quote

Soak it in EvapoRust.  Check it often, like every 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I’d find a correct grip/set of grips for it.  

If the bore is in decent shape:

Send it Bill Fuchs for a tune-up and all new springs.

Shoot it.

In it’s condition it’s just a shooter.  

You’d spend at least $5-6K having Turnbull fix it up and it would be worth maybe $3-3500 afterwards.  

You could make it functional and reliable again for less than a grand.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're around Houston, Alan Horton does very good work on internals and such to make it a reliable shooter.  And will do it at a reasonable price with fast turnaround.

Condition, clean it up with oil and brass wool.

Broken grip, don't replace it, the 4 notches that line up with the frame are an important part of its history.

With the serial number, you can look up the year of manufacture pretty easily online.

Frontier six-shooter = 44-40.  For some insane reason, Colt didn't want to put 44 WCF on their pistols.  I don't understand why, 32 WCF and 38 WCF didn't seem to bother them very much.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top