Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2023 11:13:58 PM EDT
Finally got mine out to the range today after 6-7 months sitting in the safe.  

Pistol ran 100%, no issues nor hiccups. Trigger was decent but not exceptional. Not unusual in this price range, IMO.

Groupings were in the 3-4" range at 12 yards or so. I haven't shot for score in over a year, so I can probably cut this in half with some practice, IMO. I do like the sights but would prefer an optic front sight over the all-black. Oh, well. I was shooting some affordable GA Arms ammo, decent but not match level, obviously. Springfield isn't known for their premium barrels on models priced well under $1K, IMO. I bet a Bar-Sto would makes things more lively, IMO.

In short, I really can't find much of a flaw in this gun. That's hard for me to do most times, IMO.

For the record, I would take this one over the new FN version eight days a week.

My .o2

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 4:41:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I got my SA35 last month but it didn’t take me 6 months to go out and shoot it!  First thing I did was to swap out the grips for original FN grips.  Not that the grips on the SA35 were bad, it was purely aesthetics and I wanted grips that were closer to the original look.  Those nice grips the SA35 came with found their way onto my Girsan MC P35PI model to replace the black plastic MKIII grips that one came with.
The trigger on the SA35 wasn’t bad as far as Hi-Power triggers go and are just a little nicer than my 1961 vintage FN pistol that had the mag disconnect removed.  I pulled the magazine safety out of the Girsan which got rid of the gravely, gritty pull and lightened it up a bit as well but their use of a MKIII style firing pin safety means it will never be as good as the SA35 or FN I have.
So far my SA35 has been an excellent performer and I’ve more-or-less retired my old FN to occasional use status due in no small part to the internal extractor.  Replacements aren’t as easy to come by anymore and are expensive when you do.  If I have any complaints, it would be that the tang is more squared off and sharper than my FN and Girsan so I feel it a bit more in my thumb knuckle.  However, being a steel framed 9mm, it’s not that big of a deal, just lets me know that I’m not shooting my old FN.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Went to clean the guns this evening that I shot yesterday.

Guess how far the guide rod can launch when removing it from the slide?????  
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USPguy:
Went to clean the guns this evening that I shot yesterday.

Guess how far the guide rod can launch when removing it from the slide?????  
View Quote

Somewhere between 3 ft and your eye...
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve thought about picking one up local gun shop has one. Have a MkIII I carry from time to time.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I was worried the matte finish was going to be a rust heaven, but it hasn’t been.  Love mine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to pick one up, but I like Fiber optic front sights. Wonder if Dawson will make one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck it. Sportsmans warehouse had them on sale $50 off. My locall ffl got close and gave me 2 free hours of range time.
Sucks they only give 1 mag. Guess ill be saving up for a few more.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By onibaba:

Somewhere between 3 ft and your eye...
View Quote

In a rare moment of common sense, I always stand perpendicular to the slide. I once launched a 1911 mainspring cap that's still under a water heater in a house I lived in around the early 1990s.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:
Fuck it. Sportsmans warehouse had them on sale $50 off. My locall ffl got close and gave me 2 free hours of range time.
View Quote

In another rare burst of common sense, I ordered the mags about the time the gun first appeared.    Not only got them easily, I got them at a decent price. I didn't get the gun until almost a year later.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#10]

In another rare burst of common sense, I ordered the mags about the time the gun first appeared.    Not only got them easily, I got them at a decent price. I didn't get the gun until almost a year later.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Whats a good price? SA has them on sale for 31. Midwest gun works is 29.99 and buds is like 32.99
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Whats a good price? SA has them on sale for 31. Midwest gun works is 29.99 and buds is like 32.99
View All Quotes

MecGar from Greg Cotes are $21.95
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

View All Quotes

Cool. Not sure I'm going to keep it though. Fondled it last night for an hour or so and it just doesn't click with me for some reason.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Cool. Not sure I'm going to keep it though. Fondled it last night for an hour or so and it just doesn't click with me for some reason.
View Quote

They’re a bit of an acquired taste.   Give some time.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Not for everyone the HP fell right in for me and was a natural feeling gun. I do prefer the hogue grips as there a little more rounded. Finding the right grip combination helped a buddy the standard grips didn’t feel right to him G10s fixed it though. I’m considering getting another and if I do it’ll likely be the Springfield.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I think the SA-35 is absolutely perfect aestheticly. The wood grips and parkerizing just looks perfect.

I love how they handle too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I did that too. Ordered a bunch of mags, grips, sights, and a holster thinking I'd be able to pick up one of the two I pre-ordered relatively quickly.
Almost exactly a year later I was about to post all of that on the EE when Arms Unlimited told me to update my payment and FFL info because my order came in at the initial price I paid for it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#17]
For inspiration:

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the opportunity to get one for a real good price.  My best friend has a NIB SA-35 that he will sell me for $475.  Are these good pistols as compared to the original HP's?

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:
I have the opportunity to get one for a real good price.  My best friend has a NIB SA-35 that he will sell me for $475.  Are these good pistols as compared to the original HP's?

View Quote

Yes.   When I got my Springfield I sold my Browning.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

I would have already bought it, yes, they are great.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

That is a hella good deal.
And yes they’re good.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I actually love my SA 35, more so than my Browning.
I shot the Browning once and it soured me on the design for the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Bought 1 today and ran 150 rounds through it. I like it, it'll go with the 2 FN HP's I've owned for years and I won't have to baby it like I've been doing my "shooter" HP the past couple of years
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:13:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yojimbo] [#24]
I am really wanting to get a SA-35.  Might be pulling the trigger soon.  I was going to wait and see how the SDS Inglis Hi-Powers turn out but I might not be able to hold off.  I might just have to get both...

Are there any major reasons not to get a SA-35?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Yojimbo:
I am really wanting to get a SA-35.  Might be pulling the trigger soon.  I was going to wait and see how the SDS Inglis Hi-Powers turn out but I might not be able to hold off.  I might just have to get both...

Are there any major reasons not to get a SA-35?
View Quote
There are no major reasons AFAIK.  The reliability issues from a couple years ago appear to have been solved.  I bought mine a couple months ago and am very happy with it.  Never shot a Hi-Power before and the design clicked with me right away.  I am also looking forward to the Inglis Hi-Powers.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By astronwolf:
There are no major reasons AFAIK.  The reliability issues from a couple years ago appear to have been solved.  I bought mine a couple months ago and am very happy with it.  Never shot a Hi-Power before and the design clicked with me right away.  I am also looking forward to the Inglis Hi-Powers.

View Quote

Thanks, I was somewhat concerned about the reliability issues the came up when they first came out and was hoping they were al resolved by now.  Good to know they are.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#27]
My very first pistol was a Belgian Browning HP, which spoiled me.

The SA-35 is the HP faithfully reborn with some notable improvements, most important to me being that it was designed with +P ammo in mind.

Still shoot the Browning slightly better, but the SA is right there and will no doubt improve with time. Most remarkable thing is how slim and elegant the design is compared to modern chunky pistols, even the compact 15 rd mags. 😍
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Thanks, I was somewhat concerned about the reliability issues the came up when they first came out and was hoping they were al resolved by now.  Good to know they are.
View Quote

Reading between the lines, there was a period where the SA35s were available on a limited basis, then increased, then disappeared, then started coming back. Some have guess that the period where they dropped off again may have been SA fixing the issues with the extractor/extractor channel on the slide as the extraction issues seemed to have disappeared after the pistols started coming back again. Just a guess, never saw anything from SA about it. Not sure exactly what the serial number range is, but mine has an S/N in the 11XXX range, about a year after the pistol was first release. No extraction/ejection issues with mine that were described in earlier production.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

Reading between the lines, there was a period where the SA35s were available on a limited basis, then increased, then disappeared, then started coming back. Some have guess that the period where they dropped off again may have been SA fixing the issues with the extractor/extractor channel on the slide as the extraction issues seemed to have disappeared after the pistols started coming back again. Just a guess, never saw anything from SA about it. Not sure exactly what the serial number range is, but mine has an S/N in the 11XXX range, about a year after the pistol was first release. No extraction/ejection issues with mine that were described in earlier production.
View Quote

That’s good to know, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:01:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yojimbo] [#30]
I got to handle one at a LGS today.  It looked really good and the the trigger felt pretty nice  I know some don't like the grips, but I really liked the classic look of the fully checkered walnut grips. It sucks that it only comes with one mag.  It didn't come home with me because they were asking $799.

Will probably end up getting one, I am just not in a rush and willing to pay top dollar for one.  

By the way, who has the best price on Mec-Gar 15 round Hi-Power mags?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I got to handle one at today.  It looked really good and the the trigger felt pretty nice  I know some don't like the grips, but I really liked the classic look of the fully checkered walnut grips. It sucks that it only comes with one mag.  It didn't come home with me because they were asking $799.

Will probably end up getting one, I am just not in a rush and willing to pay top dollar for one.  

By the way, who has the best price on Mec-Gar 15 round Hi-Power mags?
View Quote

Hi Power Mags
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 226man:

Hi Power Mags
View Quote

Thank you!  Nothing like buying mags ahead of time for a gun you don’t have to make sure you get one…
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:27:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yojimbo] [#33]
Family Firearms in Troy, AL had the SA-25 for $615.  I could not pass that up and pulled the trigger on one.  The lowest price I've seen it locally is $699.

I also ordered 4 more Mec-Gar 15 round mags from Greg Cotte, LLC. Thanks for the link @226man

It's the first non-Glock handgun I've gotten in the past decade.  LOL

ETA: Family Firearms must have one smooth operation.  My SA-35 has been packed and shipped.  They sent me a tracking number less than an hour after I placed the order!
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Family Firearms in Troy, AL had the SA-25 for $615.  I could not pass that up and pulled the trigger on one.  The lowest price I've seen it locally is $699.

I also ordered 4 more Mec-Gar 15 round mags from Greg Cotte, LLC. Thanks for the link @226man

It's the first non-Glock handgun I've gotten in the past decade.  LOL

ETA: Family Firearms must have one smooth operation.  My SA-35 has been packed and shipped.  They sent me a tracking number less than an hour after I placed the order!
View Quote

I have one if the first sa35’s in the country. Its a beautiful gun with nice machining and finish. I’m gonna get another extractor in case I start having problems like some people have. I also have a c&s trigger kit for it but I feel its not needed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#35]
@RogerRoger
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:16:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yojimbo] [#36]
Got my SA-35 to the range over the weekend.  It shoots really nice.  My trigger was a little stiff but had a nice crisp break but during the range session it's smoothed out really nicely. The curved trigger actually worked really well for me.  I also liked the ledged factory sights.  All in all it's exactly how I would want a basic Hi-Power to be setup.

As mentioned above, I did notice the sharp edges on the beaver tail since I use a high grip.  I did have one FTF on my first mag.  I was thinking here we go...but I never had another issue again after that.  Mine was in 38,xxx serial number range so it should have been manufactured after SA got the bugs fixed.

The 4 spare Mec-Gar 15 round mags I got had the same exact markings as the SA mag except for the Springfield logo.  All the mags worked flawlessly and dropped free.

I think I will be putting the SA-35 in the carry rotation.  I usually carry my G19 A-IWB but I am wondering how well the SA-35 would work for me.  It's quite bit thinner than my G19 but a bit longer and heavier too.

While I really like the walnut grips I also want to get some different ones to dress it up.  I do like the the VZ Gunner grips.  I have a set on a 1911 and I like them a lot.  Some nice Ivory or bone grips would be nice too.

The Hi-Power truly is an elegant weapon for a more civilized age...LOL

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Got my SA-35 to the range over the weekend.  It shoots really nice.  My trigger was a little stiff but had a nice crisp break but during the range session it's smoothed out really nicely. The curved trigger actually worked really well for me.  I also liked the ledged factory sights.  All in all it's exactly how I would want a basic Hi-Power to be setup.

As mentioned above, I did notice the sharp edges on the beaver tail since I use a high grip.  I did have one FTF on my first mag.  I was thinking here we go...but I never had another issue again after that.  Mine was in 38,xxx serial number range so it should have been manufactured after SA got the bugs fixed.

The 4 spare Mec-Gar 15 round mags I got had the same exact marking as the SA mag except for the Springfield logo.  All the mags worked flawlessly and dropped free.

I think I will be putting the SA-35 rotation.  I usually carry A-IWB but I am wondering how well the SA-35 would work for me.  It's quite bit thinner than my G19 but a bit longer and heavier too.

While I really like the walnut grips I also want to get some different ones to dress it up.  I do like the the VZ Gunner grips.  I have a set on a 1911 and I like them a lot.  Some nice Ivory or bone grips would be nice too.

The Hi-Power truly is an elegant weapon for a more civilized age...LOL

https://i.imgur.com/Dqh1Z4x.jpg
View Quote

Bueno.
I put some VZ Gunner Recons on mine for a while, then I went back to the walnut grips after I put some Tung oil on them. No particular reason other than I just felt like it. The VZ grips are really nice.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

Bueno.
I put some VZ Gunner Recons on mine for a while, then I went back to the walnut grips after I put some Tung oil on them. No particular reason other than I just felt like it. The VZ grips are really nice.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/IMG_3175-2605208.jpg
View Quote

@m24shooter

Nice setup!  Is that a Galco holster?  I've also seen a lot of people use 1911 holsters for Hi-Powers I would think it would be a loose fit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#39]

@m24shooter

Nice setup!  Is that a Galco holster?  I've also seen a lot of people use 1911 holsters for Hi-Powers I would think it would be a loose fit.
View Quote

Thank you. Yes it is the Galco, which if you are looking for one they are (or at least were) cheaper and quicker ordering through Amazon. I just put it in the same model Galco for my Garrison and it will work yes but as you say it is loose in there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top