Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2024 10:01:36 PM EDT
need some help diagnosing a dead trigger
serial # 15,XXX

The issue is occuring almost every magazine, there is a stoppage with the 3rd or 5th round.  Sometimes this happens 1 time a mag....sometimes this happens 3 times a mag, typically after a 3 or 5 string.  I have tried to eliminate what may be an issue,  I used 3 different magazines (original springfield one and 2 other mec-gar magazines (13 rd, 15rd) with the same results.  I have loaded full mags, 10rds, 5 rds.  I have tried 4 different ammo brands, all 115 fmj (Winchester,  cci blazer, federal, S&B).....same results. 

The hammer is cocked and safety is off but the trigger is locked until the safety is very lightly touched/thumbed down (it is already off) then the trigger can be pulled to rear.  I have replaced the safety spring and detent with C&S part to give a crisp on/off, I did this after the 1st time I sent to Springfield and still had same issue.  

1st time to Springfield they turned the extractor (I didn't have extraction issues) and reamed/ polished the chamber

2nd time to Springfield they replaced the trigger,  trigger spring and trigger spring pin.

I am about 500 rds through this pistol now and maybe 6 mags full where there were no issues.

I have an old FEG hi power that do not have this issue.

Any thoughts?....3rd times the charm?....forget Springfield  and just order all internals of the frame and slide  to replace everything?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Potentially stupid question, but is it possible that you are inadvertently pushing the safety lever up enough to block movement of the action? Have you tried "riding" the safety lever like some folks do with 1911's?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought of that and should have included in my post that I used thumb over thumb hold as well as single hand to ensure I was not hitting the safety up.    I do not hit the safety on my other hi power or 1911....I thought under recoil the safety moved up slightly because the original was alot looser before I added the new spring and detent.  now the safety is tight (that's what she said) and doesn't move unless it is positively thumbed up and down.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:33:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Evintos] [#3]
Originally Posted By ericCL:
need some help diagnosing a dead trigger
serial # 15,XXX

The issue is occuring almost every magazine, there is a stoppage with the 3rd or 5th round.  Sometimes this happens 1 time a mag....sometimes this happens 3 times a mag, typically after a 3 or 5 string.  I have tried to eliminate what may be an issue,  I used 3 different magazines (original springfield one and 2 other mec-gar magazines (13 rd, 15rd) with the same results.  I have loaded full mags, 10rds, 5 rds.  I have tried 4 different ammo brands, all 115 fmj (Winchester,  cci blazer, federal, S&B).....same results. 

The hammer is cocked and safety is off but the trigger is locked until the safety is very lightly touched/thumbed down (it is already off) then the trigger can be pulled to rear.  I have replaced the safety spring and detent with C&S part to give a crisp on/off, I did this after the 1st time I sent to Springfield and still had same issue.  

1st time to Springfield they turned the extractor (I didn't have extraction issues) and reamed/ polished the chamber

2nd time to Springfield they replaced the trigger,  trigger spring and trigger spring pin.

I am about 500 rds through this pistol now and maybe 6 mags full where there were no issues.

I have an old FEG hi power that do not have this issue.

Any thoughts?....3rd times the charm?....forget Springfield  and just order all internals of the frame and slide  to replace everything?
View Quote

Not enough clearance at the sear and safety interface. It needs to be fitted better and from your description probably needs probably around the neighborhood of 0.001" of material removed (maybe a tiny bit more). If you file too much material off, you potentially have hammer follow or it drops to half cock notch when you disengage the safety. It may appear that the safety is off, but inside, the safety is still blocking the sear slightly, which is why applying thumb pressure is working.

This is really a hand fit type of thing requires slow filing and lots of test fitting. Send it back to Springfield letting them know the bolded part.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Evintos:

Not enough clearance at the sear and safety interface. It needs to be fitted better and from your description probably needs probably around the neighborhood of 0.001" of material removed (maybe a tiny bit more). If you file too much material off, you potentially have hammer follow or it drops to half cock notch when you disengage the safety. It may appear that the safety is off, but inside, the safety is still blocking the sear slightly, which is why applying thumb pressure is working.

This is really a hand fit type of thing requires slow filing and lots of test fitting. Send it back to Springfield letting them know the bolded part.
View Quote

Well Said
Send it back tell the fix it or replace it with one that works.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the info, I contacted Springfield again letting them know the issue continues.  I'm going to put another 100rds through it and try to record what happens to send to them to review.   I've thought about just replacing the sear and see if that corrected the issue.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ericCL:
thanks for the info, I contacted Springfield again letting them know the issue continues.  I'm going to put another 100rds through it and try to record what happens to send to them to review.   I've thought about just replacing the sear and see if that corrected the issue.
View Quote

Will they sell you "just a sear?"

Do the fire-control parts in this "version" of the BHP interchange with BHP parts?
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're up for it, I found fitting a Hi-Power safety to be pretty easy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought about trying to fit the safety/sear or order a new sear to try out....but given the $$$ I think I want Springfield to make it right by spending the time fixing this one or sending me a replacement.   The thing is accurate and feels/looks great....just want it to function everytime like my others.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 1:03:29 AM EDT
[#9]
There's an article in the Springfield quarterly magazine about the Apex fire control replacement kit. Might be worth a look, see if it's worth your while to score a better trigger?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:26:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1NAVYCHIEF-RET] [#10]
Originally Posted by USPguy:
There's an article in the Springfield quarterly magazine about the Apex fire control replacement kit. Might be worth a look, see if it's worth your while to score a better trigger?
View Quote

You could also try the BH Springs Solutions SFS Kit.

It's parts replace everything in the rear of the Frame except the Ejector.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/index.php/product/fast-safety-sfs-v2-0-essential-for-hi-power/

Apex Tactical Action Enhancement Trigger Kit for Springfield SA-35

https://www.apextactical.com/action-enhancement-kit-for-springfield-sa-35-browning-hi-power

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I read about issues with the sa35 sear. I tried finding it cause I forget who was selling a reliability package for the sa35 to make it bulletproof. Sucks having to spend money on a new gun but it is pretty sweet and I wanna keep it. I haven’t had issues but just want piece of mind.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Doesn't C&S do a bunch of custom hi power parts as well as the 1911 parts?
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By NN300BLK:
Doesn't C&S do a bunch of custom hi power parts as well as the 1911 parts?
View Quote
They went out of business
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I replaced the sear and put in a bh spring solutions tactical trigger spring (2 coil)....now the trigger has a more positive and audible reset.  This is how it should be, it's so much better

solved my issues
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:15:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chemcmndr] [#15]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
View Quote

C&S Metall-Werkes?
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By chemcmndr:

C&S Metall-Werkes?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

C&S Metall-Werkes?
Cylinder & Slide
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:03:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NN300BLK] [#17]
Cylinder & Slide
View All Quotes

C&S Metall-Werkes?
Cylinder & Slide

Looks like Cylinder & Slide has new owners (Bill Laughridge retired but sold it instead of closing it) and did not actually close after all per this Shooting Illustrated article.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Looks like Cylinder & Slide has new owners (Bill Laughridge retired but sold it instead of closing it) and did not actually close after all per this Shooting Illustrated article.
View All Quotes

C&S Metall-Werkes?
Cylinder & Slide

Had t heard that. That's good news.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top