Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2024 6:46:58 PM EDT
Love the gun but it came with an unacceptable 6 pound trigger pull. I did a typical trigger on a 1911/2011 and got the trigger pull down to 4 pounds.

My problem is I am left handed an can’t get the right side safety to seat.

The safety has a tab that fits into a slot in the frame for retention. I can’t a get the safety to seat and get the tab to fit in the slot. I have tried with the cocked and uncocked.

Is this type of ambi safety retention typical of a 2011 frame? Any ideas on what can do?Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Don’t ask me how I got the right side safety out. I don’t know how I did it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Take the slide off?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Princeton:
Take the slide off?
View Quote

That wouldn’t do anything. The slot that the tab on the fits is in the frame. I just tried taking out the left side safety and trying to seat the right side safety. That accomplished nothing. The tab won’t go into the slot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I do have nuclear option. I can use a dremel to grind off that tab.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Remove the slide from the frame.  Disassemble the frame to the point where you need to remove the safety selector.  Wiggle out the left side selector; this will allow the right side to fully seat and rotate the tab back into position. Reinstall left selector, and reassemble the pistol.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:
Remove the slide from the frame.  Disassemble the frame to the point where you need to remove the safety selector.  Wiggle out the left side selector; this will allow the right side to fully seat and rotate the tab back into position. Reinstall left selector, and reassemble the pistol.
View Quote

I already tried removing the left side safety. The tab still wouldn’t go into the slot in the frame.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:39:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#7]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:
View Quote

This.

Make sure the slide is off.  raise up that lip on the right paddle so it's pointing towards the sky.  Insert the right paddle bar into the hole in the slide/beavertail.  Now rotate the paddle/lip down so that lip can fit into the cutout in the grip.

The right side is inserted before you install the left side.  Make sure the hammer is cocked.  And as you wiggle the left side past the plunger spring assembly, you line-up the right side paddle with the left paddle so the tongue and groove line-up in the middle of the grip safety.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dump1567:

This.

The right side is inserted before you install the left side.  Make sure the hammer is cocked.  And as you wiggle the left side past the plunger spring assembly, you line-up the right side paddle with the left paddle so the tongue and groove line-up in the middle of the grip safety.
View Quote

My problems is the tab on the right side won’t go into the slot in the frame. Look at the pics.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:45:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#9]
Originally Posted By Johhnyrotten:

My problems is the tab on the right side won’t go into the slot in the frame. Look at the pics.
View Quote

Make sure the slide is off.  raise up that lip (the leg that fits into the grip slot) so it's pointing towards the sky.  Insert the right paddle bar into the hole in the slide/beavertail.  Now rotate the paddle/lip down so that lip can fit into the cutout in the grip.

Your second pic shown below should let it fit in if the slide is off.  And make sure the left side isn't inserted yet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#10]

I already tried removing the left side safety. The tab still wouldn’t go into the slot in the frame.
View Quote

It will absolutely go back in.  It came out, so it will go back in.  You will need to rotate the safety starting at 12 o'clock, and rotate it clockwise to slide it into the slot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Make sure the slide is off.  raise up that lip (the leg that fits into the grip slot) so it's pointing towards the sky.  Insert the right paddle bar into the hole in the slide/beavertail.  Now rotate the paddle/lip down so that lip can fit into the cutout in the grip.

Your second pic shown below should let it fit in if the slide is off.  And make sure the left side isn't inserted yet.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496960/IMG_1799_jpeg-3214470.JPG
View Quote

After looking at the pics, taking the slide off might work. Back in a bit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#12]

After looking at the pics, taking the slide off might work. Back in a bit.
View Quote

Yes, taking the slide off is the answer.  I've done it countless times with 2011's.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Taking off the slide didn’t work. You can see the angle that I need to seat the right side safety. In the next pic it’s starting to engage the the left side safety but the frame prevents the right side from fully engaging. I’m thinking that judicious use of a dremel will work and still have retention of the right side in the slotAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:14:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#14]
Taking off the slide didn’t work. You can see the angle that I need to seat the right side safety. In the next pic it’s starting to engage the the left side safety but the frame prevents the right side from fully engaging. I’m thinking that judicious use of a dremel will work and still have retention of the right side in the slothttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496960/IMG_1802_jpeg-3214525.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496960/IMG_1801_jpeg-3214526.JPG
View Quote

Go back and read what I wrote.

REMOVE THE LEFT SIDE SAFETY BEFORE INSTALLING THE RIGHT SIDE.

The right side is installed before you put in the left side.  

I gave details how to do this in my prior post.

Leave the dremel alone.  If you can't figure it out, take it to a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:18:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#16]
Watch this from 5:28 and on.

Installing Atlas Gunworks Safeties in your Staccato, Prodigy or any other 1911DS/2011 style pistol
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Taking the frame off and installing the right safety first worked! Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:35:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AT-ST83] [#19]
Taking the frame off and installing the right safety first worked! Thanks guys!
View Quote

If only 3 different people had already told you that...glad you figured it out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Bookmark this post in case you ever take it apart again.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Princeton:
Bookmark this post in case you ever take it apart again.
View Quote

I think it’s indelible on my hippocampus!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:49:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#22]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Taking off the slide didn’t work. You can see the angle that I need to seat the right side safety. In the next pic it’s starting to engage the the left side safety but the frame prevents the right side from fully engaging. I’m thinking that judicious use of a dremel will work and still have retention of the right side in the slothttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496960/IMG_1802_jpeg-3214525.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496960/IMG_1801_jpeg-3214526.JPG

Oh at this stage, I'm about ready to pop some popcorn and suggest he livestream giving it a go with the dremel
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I do have nuclear option. I can use a dremel to grind off that tab.
View Quote

Dremel is always the option.

Just make sure to have a nice strong drink of liquor to steady your hands first.
Top Top