Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2023 3:49:21 PM EDT
I picked up a new p322 today and took it to the range. I shot just over 350 rounds between CCI standard, Federal competition, and Winchester M-22. The CCI and Federal did great. But the Winchester had a ton of light strikes, like every 2-4 shots bad. Is this something SIG can address? I know this M-22 isn't great but it runs through my 22/45 mk 3 just fine.

Also, is this the leading issue I've heard about? There's definitely a lot more buildup on the one side.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I knew I was taking a chance with this thing. It seems like it might have to go back.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#1]
In all of my guns, but especially the rimfires, I experiment and find the ammo that it "likes" and shoots well (both reliability and accuracy) and feed it that.

The leading issue could be fixed with a bore plug and lapping compound, if you want to put in the effort.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SC4eyes:
In all of my guns, but especially the rimfires, I experiment and find the ammo that it "likes" and shoots well (both reliability and accuracy) and feed it that.

The leading issue could be fixed with a bore plug and lapping compound, if you want to put in the effort.
View Quote
I see some people have significantly reduced/eliminated the light strike issue with a spacer for the hammer spring.

What tools/products would I need to fix the barrel?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By c7aea15:
I see some people have significantly reduced/eliminated the light strike issue with a spacer for the hammer spring.

What tools/products would I need to fix the barrel?
View Quote

Yes, spacers should correct the light strike issue. It’s what I had to do with mine
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the light strike issue but not the leading issue.  I sent mine back to SIG.  It was a one week turnaround to repair.  I’d try that before doing home repairs.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 2:14:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RUT] [#5]
You know, I really wanted to like the P322, but after reading about countless niggling problems I've decided to give it a pass. Too late in the game for me to be messing with them. My two Buckmarks, my P-17, and even my old Neos run 100%. The jury's still out on my GSG 1911.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Gorby:
I had the light strike issue but not the leading issue.  I sent mine back to SIG.  It was a one week turnaround to repair.  I'd try that before doing home repairs.
View Quote
I got impatient and dropped in a small stainless screw. The head was like 1.6mm thick.

I shot another 200 rounds through it today.

No light strikes.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RUT:
You know, I really wanted to like the P322, but after reading about countless niggling problems I've decided to give it a pass. Too late in the game for me to be messing with them. My two Buckmarks, my P-17, and even my old Neos run 100%. The jury's still out on my GSG 1100.
View Quote
Yea. I knew there could be issues and I  really want to like it. It feels good, the trigger is nice, and I like I can mount an optic to the slide. I put a EPS carry on it.

I didn't care for the short grip on the FN 502, I didn't like the lower capacity of the TX22 compact, and I didn't like that I couldn't mount an optic on the full-size TX22, though there is an aftermarket slide.

This SIG really has everything (except QC) so I'm going to try and stick with it.

I think I fixed the light strike issue. And with running more CCI standard through it the barrel looks like it actually cleaned up.

So it doesn't like Winchester (leading) and it doesn't seem to like Federal champion (it gets a weird failure to chamber as the bullet below it nose dives in the magazine) maybe the federal wax is making them drag/stick in the magazine?

I've got plenty of CCI standard for now which is running 100%. But I'll pick up some other various bulk packs to see if it's reliable with them too.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Can you Contiune to update this with the leading or non leading issue..

I was looking at getting one but the leading has put me off some.. If its just win ammo giving you a problem that will be good to know.

thanks
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I returned my Sig P-322 to SIG for warranty work immediately after purchase because of light strikes and failure to ignite.  Send it back to SIG.  My 2x TX22's have been trouble free.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#10]
>>The jury's still out on my GSG 1911<<

Got rid of that one too! Just not a big 1911 fan I guess.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#11]
My P322 was such a POS that I gave it away for free to a friend that wanted it. I’ll stay with the TX22 because it’s dependable.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not sure what to think about the leading thing.  I bought an early P322.  I've shot maybe 500 rds or so through it of mixed ammo.  It's been pretty reliable.  I don't seem to have the leading issue and the bore has always looked great.  Never cleaned it.  I pulled a bore snake through it about half way through that 500 rds and that's it.  

Overall I'd have to say I'm satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#13]
FYI, Peg board hooks are the right diameter to use as a spacer under the hammer spring. i just clipped a few mms off of one and dropped it in.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't noticed any leading in my P322. I did have the light strike issue until I put the spacer in. Have not had a single light fire since then. Pistol has been VERY reliable and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:29:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I took my new p322 out today. Only put about 80 rounds of Winchester 333's thru it. 5 light strikes.

I watched all the bad you tube videos and noticed they were all a year old so I had hoped they had fixed all the issues.  Guess not.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I've never had a light strike issue with my P322, and it's one of the earlier ones. Steady diet of Fed Automatch and CCI SV.

I did have some feeding issues at the match on Sunday, and I think they were related to improper lubrication. I typically just lube those tiny little rails; however, I discovered that I also needed to lubricate the area around the barrel assembly that the slide doesn't ride on, but does touch. Once I did that, it was back to working great.

I'd still love for Sig to come out with a Legionized version of this gun. A little more weight and a fixed optic would turn this thing into a dominating rimfire handgun. It's such a great platform, it deserves to be developed further.
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Any updates on the barrel leading?
Was hoping SIG fixed it by now, looks like a fun suppressor host if they are reliable now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I sent mine back for light strikes and it was back in hands within a week, fixed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Yotehunter87:
I took my new p322 out today. Only put about 80 rounds of Winchester 333's thru it. 5 light strikes.

I watched all the bad you tube videos and noticed they were all a year old so I had hoped they had fixed all the issues.  Guess not.
View Quote

Did you try better ammo? I found that win333 ammo to be shit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Gorby:
I sent mine back for light strikes and it was back in hands within a week, fixed.
View Quote

Glad to hear. Did they include a report on what they fixed or replaced to resolve your issues?
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 8:37:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradleyswine] [#21]
I disliked my P322 enough that I gave it to a friend that wanted it. It had been returned to SIG and worked on and then returned to me and started having issues again so it was gone.  I will stick with my Taurus TX22s.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#22]
For those of you that inserted a spacer to fix the light strike issue, what did you use as a spacer?  I have heard that a 1911 grip screw will work.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I used a screw that had a head the right diameter and thickness and threads that were short enough that they didn’t interfere when the spring was compressed. Stopped all my light strikes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 226man:
For those of you that inserted a spacer to fix the light strike issue, what did you use as a spacer?  I have heard that a 1911 grip screw will work.
View Quote

these are the perfect diameter. just snip off a piece and drop it in

Link Posted: 1/4/2024 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Winchester has had some really bad lots. REALLY bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top