Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2023 10:33:20 PM EDT
Can someone explain the idea they had when they designed the action P08s have?

I mean even back then most pistols look to have an action like a 1911, etc.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:50:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthyBlagga] [#1]
Derived from the Borchardt pistol (that Luger worked on) and before that the Maxim machine gun.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
The 1911 came later. The Mauser Broomhandle and Luger looked so weird because there was no standard yet. Obviously the 1911 freaking nailed it and everyone was like yes that's how a pistol should be.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GunDisaster:
The 1911 came later. The Mauser Broomhandle and Luger looked so weird because there was no standard yet. Obviously the 1911 freaking nailed it and everyone was like yes that's how a pistol should be.
View Quote

That maybe where I'm at. does the luger or Borchardt design offer any benefit? I mean out of everything they could have came up with they chose that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Handgun design went in numerous directions early in the game.  Like most mechanical devices it took a while to sort out what worked and what didn't.  Look at some of Browning's earlier efforts.  Designs continued to evolve over the decades.  The Walther/Beretta locking block, the H&K gas delayed blowback, the Benelli toggle  link, the Remington R51, etc.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#5]
As previously stated, Georg Luger took the Hugo Borchardt toggle system and streamlined it considerably. The knee-joint toggle on the Luger is much the same as the action on the Maxim machine gun. I have no clue whether the Maxim or the Borchardt came first.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]
The toggle mechanism on the P08 is very stout, functions strong and smooth. The aspect of the P08 that is really archaic though is the fire control mechanism. It's really stone ages compared to anything else, and when you see it you really wonder how it shoots well at all. They are really fascinating guns of a long gone era.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top