Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 46
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy gift cards from zen gift cards. I got mine for 15% off. They delivered mine within 10seconds of submitting the order
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
WIP. RMR and cowitness height sights are on their way.

Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]

I shot my Glock 19 today for the first time since adding the KKM barrel and comp, so I thought I'd share a few notes and observations for others that may be considering adding a comp.  Here's the specs on my comped Glock:

Glock 19 Gen 4
All stock internals
RM06
RMR cut and enhanced front/rear serrations by ATEi
SureFire X300U-A
Homemade trigger guard undercut and front index point stipple

I shot the pictured gun side-by-side with two other Glocks for comparison:

Glock 19 Gen 3
All stock internals
SureFire X300U-A
Agency Arms magwell
Homemade trigger guard undercut, grip stipple, finger grooves removed, and accelerator cut

And

Glock 34 Gen 4
All stock internals
SureFire X300U-A
Homemade trigger guard undercut

Ammo used:

50 rounds - Speer Lawman 147 Grain TMJ
100 rounds - Winchester NATO 124 Grain FMJ
50 rounds - Freedom Munitions Remanufactured 147 Grain FMJ
35 rounds - Federal HST 147 Grain JHP

Observations:

The comp performed as advertised.  I held off for a while buying one because of the cost, but after seeing how quickly slightly used ones sell on the secondary market at a pretty high cost, I decided to go ahead and try it.  I'm not 100% sure I'm going to stick with it, but there's no doubt that recoil was reduced and the comped gun shot flatter than the other two.

Shooting in an indoor range, the effects of the blast from the comp were definitely noticeable and slightly uncomfortable.  I get annoyed at indoor ranges when people directly next to me shoot with their muzzles beyond the side barriers, so I always make a point to shoot within my barriers.  No doubt this added to my discomfort.  I definitely want to go to an outdoor range next and see the difference when not shooting in a confined space.

I had previously zeroed the gun with the stock barrel at 15 yards using Federal HST 147 grain ammo.  The new zero with the KKM barrel/comp at 15 yards was probably around 3 inches higher.

Malfunctions:

I had a few stovepipes with the comped Glock using a G19 15-round magazine, TTI +5 baseplate, and Freedom Munitions Remanufactured 147 grain ammo.  No issues using this mag with the non-comped Glock 19 or any of the other ammo in the comped Glock 19.

I had two failures to eject with the comped Gock.  Both occurred with no magazine inserted.  The first was with the Winchester NATO ammo.  The second was with the Federal HST ammo.  On both occasions, I was shooting for accuracy with my grip resting on a sandbag on the bench.  I was shooting five-round groups using fully loaded magazines, so after four rounds, I would remove the magazine then shoot the last round, then check my group so I didn't have to manually eject a chambered round.  I didn't take any pictures of the malfunction, so my best way to explain it would be an "upside down stovepipe".

To be clear, I had zero malfunctions using the comped Glock 19 with both Glock mags and ETS mags as long as they didn't have any extension baseplates no matter what ammo I used.

TL;DR:  There's definite benefits to the KKM comp, but I'm a little concerned with some of the trade-offs.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:05:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone done a Roland Special type configuration, but based on a G17? The G19 feels funny in my hands I don't like it. I am currently carrying an uncomped G17 with an RMR, TLR1HL, and a stippled frame. In the next month I will be buying another G17 to soup up so I have a backup/competition gun. I'm curious if anyone has such a setup, and how bulky it is IWB. I used to own a G34 and have no qualms about the length, but have never tried anything longer than that. 

I'm trying to decide if I want a comp, and if I want forward serrations. At first I had no interest in serrations, but on occasion I have trouble pulling back the slide with the RMR in the way. I tried pulling on the RMR itself, but accidentally turned it off a few times. I also had no interest in the comp, but am reconsidering that as well. For me the question is whether I go with KKM, or another barrel with the TBRC comp. My Glock barrel already shoots better than me. If Glock sold their threaded barrels aftermarket, I would buy that. But since they don't, what barrel should I consider given that reliability is more important than accuracy? I know KKM is good to go and am leaning in that direction, but am curious about other offerings, particularly S3F solutions. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:59:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome, I had no idea about that. That's the route I'm definitely going to go if I comp my carry gun. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#8]
A threaded barrel for a comp will have flats for the screws to rest on. It's not the same as a barrel threaded for a can. At least that's true of KKM and is the best solution.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TCBA_Joe:

$290
10% Coupon Code
5% Military Discount
10% If you use Active Junky
= $219

I got another $10 from Active Junky this morning for my first purchase. So I'm down to $209 total.
View Quote
Thanks, brother!
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Still waiting on cowitness height sights. Can't wait to take it out this weekend.

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks good man. How do you like it so far? Thinking about doing my wife's G19 with one.

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you guys run sealing plates for the RMR?

I've been looking at photos and it seems some do and some don't?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

Looks good man. How do you like it so far? Thinking about doing my wife's G19 with one.

https://imgur.com/nwQiVbF.jpg
View Quote
Nice example you have as well. I'll be testing it out this weekend. I assembled 400 rounds of varying weight to figure out a load it likes and just to reacclimate myself to a MRDS fitted pistol.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:
Still waiting on cowitness height sights. Can't wait to take it out this weekend.

https://i.imgur.com/PYTVDNS.jpg
View Quote
What is that holster?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
Awesome, I had no idea about that. That's the route I'm definitely going to go if I comp my carry gun. 
View Quote
FYI: Glock uses a European thread pitch on their factory barrels that no comp uses except for one that I know of that you must purchase from Europe.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By twpayne75:

FYI: Glock uses a European thread pitch on their factory barrels that no comp uses except for one that I know of that you must purchase from Europe.
View Quote
TBRCi makes their comp in 13.5x1 LH as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By saabdrifter:

What is that holster?
View Quote
Armordillo Concealment XFER V2.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Airborne_Infantryman:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Airborne_Infantryman:

Cool. I forgot he started doing that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:
Do you guys run sealing plates for the RMR?

I've been looking at photos and it seems some do and some don't?
View Quote
Sealing plates help with water resistance and moisture/dirt entry through the base.

I would venture folks that carry their Roland's use a sealing plate at a much higher rate than those who use it as a range toy.

All my RMR's have sealing plates under them, I had a JPoint get destroyed by moisture years ago... I'd rather not have issues with them again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I believe this may have already been discussed, but I have a question about recoil springs. I just got my TBRCI micro comp for my G19 with a factory TB. I know it will cycle 124 grain +p Gold Dots with the factory spring. If I have cycling issues with 115 grain ball, what weight spring should I get? I have a steel guide rod in the parts box that I can use.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:49:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hollowhandle] [#24]
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
Has anyone done a Roland Special type configuration, but based on a G17? The G19 feels funny in my hands I don't like it. I am currently carrying an uncomped G17 with an RMR, TLR1HL, and a stippled frame. In the next month I will be buying another G17 to soup up so I have a backup/competition gun. I'm curious if anyone has such a setup, and how bulky it is IWB. I used to own a G34 and have no qualms about the length, but have never tried anything longer than that. 

I'm trying to decide if I want a comp, and if I want forward serrations. At first I had no interest in serrations, but on occasion I have trouble pulling back the slide with the RMR in the way. I tried pulling on the RMR itself, but accidentally turned it off a few times. I also had no interest in the comp, but am reconsidering that as well. For me the question is whether I go with KKM, or another barrel with the TBRC comp. My Glock barrel already shoots better than me. If Glock sold their threaded barrels aftermarket, I would buy that. But since they don't, what barrel should I consider given that reliability is more important than accuracy? I know KKM is good to go and am leaning in that direction, but am curious about other offerings, particularly S3F solutions. 
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

I have had this since before I knew it was called a Roland. Probably 2009 or 10.
Even without the G18 mag, it is kind of large for a concealed carry piece.
I do have a round comp for it but I couldn't keep it tight.
Sorry for the blurry picture. It is an old photo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 103:
I believe this may have already been discussed, but I have a question about recoil springs. I just got my TBRCI micro comp for my G19 with a factory TB. I know it will cycle 124 grain +p Gold Dots with the factory spring. If I have cycling issues with 115 grain ball, what weight spring should I get? I have a steel guide rod in the parts box that I can use.
View Quote
I use 15 pound springs in all 19's and 13 pound in 17 and 34's.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone got the specs on what an authentic RS is supposed to have? I know they're highly customizable, but certain things are pretty much always there. For example, the Guns and Ammo article states Ameriglo sights, but all their pictures have trijicon. Are the ameriglos supposed to have a tritium front only, all black, or tritium all around? I know most say the Freya magwell is usually on it, but again the spec sheet G and A put up doesn't include it. So does anyone have a more accurate "build sheet" if you will?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:05:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bmo419] [#27]
Originally Posted By TSpork:
Anyone got the specs on what an authentic RS is supposed to have? I know they're highly customizable, but certain things are pretty much always there. For example, the Guns and Ammo article states Ameriglo sights, but all their pictures have trijicon. Are the ameriglos supposed to have a tritium front only, all black, or tritium all around? I know most say the Freya magwell is usually on it, but again the spec sheet G and A put up doesn't include it. So does anyone have a more accurate "build sheet" if you will?
View Quote
List of parts/upgrades straight from ATEI's website:

The Roland Special (For Glock 19 Gen3/Gen4) has:
Custom Pro Cut Slide Milling for Trijicon RMR
Half Top Front Serrations
Enhanced Rear with added Front Side Serrations
Slide Refinishing in Black Nitride
Trijicon RM06 RMR (3.25 MOA Red dot, Adjustable)
Ameriglo Suppressor Height Sights Black
KKM Precision Match Barrel with Comp
Overwatch TAC trigger
Factory Minus Connector
TangoDown Vickers Slide Release & Magazine Release
Glock Stipple Package (360 Stipple, Trigger Guard Undercut & Front Index points)
Raven Freya Magwell
Sure Fire Light X300 Ultra

Considering ATEI is the official builder of real the Roland Special, I'd say that's about as accurate as you can get.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#28]
The "authentic" Roland Special is pretty specific:

Glock 19
ATEi front/rear/top serrations
Trijicon RMR
KKM barrel/comp
Freya magwell
Surefire X300U (A or B)
Overwatch Precision TAC trigger
Ameriglo blacked out suppressor sights

I would say the "unofficial" Roland Specials have the following characteristics at a minimum:

Glock 19
Slide-mounted optic
Carry compensator
Weapon light
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:11:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Are the KKM comps still pretty much unobtainable still?  Everywhere sold out and backordered?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Does anyone have any leads on deals for Blacklist barrels? Paying $160 for S3F was bad enough so I'm still mentally trying to swallow $220
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Bryan_Aim:

i got ya, PM me
View Quote
Done kind sir.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Did a "taste test" this afternoon with a few different factory loads with and without the comp. The 115, as expected, was the only one that didn't perform 100%. I was unsure if the 124 would, but was happy to see it did as it's inexpensive locally compared to the 147s. All in all, I enjoyed shooting the Foland configuration but am not sure I won't just return to the factory barrel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:50:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#34]
Took my fauxland out and tried out the following ammo:

- Winchester WB bulk 115gr FMJ
- Sellier and Bellot 115gr FMJ
- Federal LE Hi-Shok 115gr JHP
- CCI Blazer Brass 124gr FMJ
- Winchester WB 147gr JHP

All ran 100%, using the factory recoil spring and guide rod.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I've fondling some G19s at local gun shops. I remember hating the gen 3, but the gen 4 and 5 seem to fit me pretty well. I'm 87% sure I'm going to buy one and fauxland it. Used to own a G34, so I already have holsters for it.

I know I keep asking dumb questions about comps, but how does the TBRC compare to KKM? Is it worth the long wait for the KKM? Also, if I install an OEM threaded glock barrel, for those that have them, does the comp stick out in front of the slide like this?

Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:31:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#36]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Andyh23:
Are the KKM comps still pretty much unobtainable still?  Everywhere sold out and backordered?
View Quote
Waiting for Weapon Outfitters to get some more in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I just got this G19. 4 ATOM slide assembly in. I bought one of those cheap RMR01s and needed a host.

I found this on TOS along with a well butchered 6354do. Unfortunately, it seems the guy who sold me the slide might have stripped out the allen heads on the screw. I'm not sure if I want this to be a RS, and I'm not happy I can't get the comp off.

Any ideas? @weaponoutfitters

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108584/20170916_195650-309315.jpg

ETA:
I asked the guy what if any threadlocker he used and how much
View Quote
A propane/butane torch could be used to slowly heat the entire comp and set screw heads. You need to get the loctite hot to weaken it. 
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Maybe I missed it, but which twist rate does the KKM barrel for the RS use?  I also can't find the info on KKM's website.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Yeah, I wish I had known about the massive amount of fail this was assembled with prior to buying it.

An ideal fix would be to get the threads cleaned up and dimpled to match the set screw location. Then have the comp drilled, tapped, and new screws installed.

I'm not sure who I should send it to, or if it would be cost effective.
View Quote
I'm no machinist by any stretch of the imagination, so take all of this with a grain of salt. If it were me I'd figure out the set screw size and thread pitch. Get the brake clamped up in a drill press and use a bit that will just clear the threads to drill out the set screws.

Most tap and die sets have a chart that includes clearance drill sizes for given tap sizes. In theory, if you run a clearance size drill in there the remaining threads of the set screw should clean out with some judicious tap work. There's also a good chance that the set screw will actually start running with the drill bit when the bit breaks through the far end of the screw.

If you take your time setting it up the threads in the brake should remain untouched. Worst case scenario you could drill and tap it for a slightly larger tap screw.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#44]
@TCBA_Joe did you try the LH drill bit method? The machinist I use here locally has had good results removing stuck screws incuding set screws with it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#46]

I got one of those LH extractor bits and had no luck. Should I be using a straight up LH drill bit?
View Quote
He always uses a standard LH bit. Supposedly those extractor bits can expand set screws and make extraction more difficult.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Just bought my canvas. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 103:
I appreciate the help. I cycled 50 rounds of Atlanta Arms (factory reloads) 115 grain through my Gen3 19 with the micro comp. With the factory spring, I had zero failures. Some weak ejection, but no failures. Made me happy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By weaponoutfitters:
@tcba_joe I've fixed some really borked AR-15 barrels with 1/2 x 28 thread repair dies from Browells before: wouldn't be a bad idea to touch up those threads.

As for the comp, it may or may not be toast depending on the set screw.  Worst case scenario: drill out the set screws and use only red loctite to hold the comp in place.  The Micro Comp on the G43 and M&P uses just red loctite afterall.

When it comes to the Micro comp, the best solution is to use blue loctite on the comp/set screws with proper preperation and degreasing everything. Loctite doesn't work on unclean surfaces.  If you still have any issues, blue loctite on the barrel threads help too.
View Quote
Just installed my comp using red loctite...wish I had read this before.  Their online instructions do specify red loctite though.

Red loctite on barrel threads (probably too much, at that) and blue loctite on set screws.  

I hope I am happy with this setup and don't plan on removing it anytime soon...
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I've decided my new G19 slide will be going to ATEI as soon as I test fire it and make sure it works. I was wondering, are the top serrations useful for anything? My reading suggests that they are meant for racking the slide off of clothing, but this seems moot for a pistol with a red dot. 

Also, has anyone gone for the universal cut instead of the fitted cut and regretted it? I want to do the universal cut because I'm not sure I want to keep my current RMR forever. I already broke it once, and intend to eventually upgrade to the type 2 as funds allow. 

Finally, I think I've decided I want to try the compensator route. Not sure if I want to go with KKM or something else with the TBRC comp. Does the TBRC comp perform the same as the KKM?
Page / 46
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top