Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 10/1/2023 10:24:51 AM EDT
Recently picked this up and I ran about 200 rounds of blazer 230gr ball & 50rds of PMC 185gr HP. I’ve got a few Wilson 47Ds I used with it. I didn’t clean it of course because I’m a lazy turd. I had quite a few failure to go into battery malfunctions & I could feel the dual recoil spring being kinda sluggish. Any tips on getting this thing to run great other than oil and cleaning? Also is there any good carry ammo that this will run? I have some hornady gunner and it seems to nose dive when dropping the slide.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Try to make sure the malfunction isnt related to magazines. Mine is finicky with factory colt 8rd mags, but 7rd work and a mecgar 8rd works.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Clean & lube and report back.  Mine felt gummy as hell with the factory preservative.
Link Posted: 10/1/2023 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Clean and lube and shoot it more is the answer. Don't go changing stuff until you put some rounds through it. As far as carry ammo Gold Dots or HST 230 gr.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one I bought in February this year. It’s my daily carry. I’ve run upwards of 2500rds through it so far. No problems other than a few last round hangups (jams) from a clapped out mag with worn out feed lips. It cycles all my defense ammo great. Winchester PDX, SIG v-crown, Speer gold dot.

I’m very pleased with its performance.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lexington1775:
Clean and lube and shoot it more is the answer. Don't go changing stuff until you put some rounds through it. As far as carry ammo Gold Dots or HST 230 gr.
View Quote

This guy gets it.
Not sure about recently but way back when I was buying Colts they came from the factory pretty rough and had to be shot some to knock the high spots off the action .
Factory mags were sometimes questionable and the feed ramps almost always needed polishing.

At the time many of the gurus pushed for oil on the action parts but grease on the frame rails. At that time factory triggers were pretty rough and heavy also.

Sounds like I hate Colts , not true , once I got several of them slicked up , triggers improved and some Chip McCormic mags they ran and shot like a dream.

I never messed much with any other brands but in truth never had to because once the small details were fixed up on my Colts I never had to look at anything else.

Not sure how the current crop of factory Colts are looking like
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I cleaned it and went back to the range today. I ran about 100 rounds of mixed blazer and armscor ball. I had about 2 failure to go into battery malfunctions and 3 of these (pic below), I must have girly wrists?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#7]
How old are the Wilson mags?  Did you try and isolate a problem mag?
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
How old are the Wilson mags?  Did you try and isolate a problem mag?
View Quote

Not sure how old the mags are bought them in the EE used. I didn’t narrow it down to a mag problem, I was in a rush. I’ll try again soon.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#9]
These things are incredible guns, but very much suck when the mags aren’t near perfect in fit/function.  Often the mag springs are the problem.  Other times, mag lips.  And to further piss you off, some guns will run with mags that won’t work in other 1911s.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 11:53:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DOW] [#10]
I picked one of those up quite recently and have about 400 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 230 grain ball through it so far, using Wilson mags.

So far it's ran flawlessly. I run it kind of wet with CLP.

My first Commander, I didn't anticipate how snappy it would be. I'm spoiled by my Les Baer CC.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By DOW:
I picked one of those up quite recently and have about 400 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 230 grain ball through it so far, using Wilson mags.

So far it's ran flawlessly. I run it kind of wet with CLP.

My first Commander, I didn't anticipate how snappy it would be. I'm spoiled by my Les Baer CC.
View Quote

Glad to hear yours has been running great. I guess I’ll soak it down in CLP and see if that helps. I’ll also keep an eye on my mags. It is snappy for sure I am possibly limp wristing it. My FNX-45T has me spoiled for recoil as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Use the mags that came with it and see if the jams continue.
If it does, the Extractor needs adjustment.
Extractor problems often disguise their problems as feeding problems.
Extractor problems are second most popular following mag problems.
Many people who assemble the guns don't know how to adjust the extractors.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By T-TAC:
Use the mags that came with it and see if the jams continue.
If it does, the Extractor needs adjustment.
Extractor problems often disguise their problems as feeding problems.
Extractor problems are second most popular following mag problems.
Many people who assemble the guns don't know how to adjust the extractors.
View Quote

I’ll try the one mag it came with. If I keep getting problems I’ll call colt and see what they say.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:59:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a 45acp 70's era Commander and as it came from the factory it would sling the cases from hardball ammo into my face.

Never liked the thing.

Link Posted: 10/24/2023 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a new Combat Commander in 9MM, saving it for my Son, sharp looking gun you got there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Smallmouth:
I have a new Combat Commander in 9MM, saving it for my Son, sharp looking gun you got there.
View Quote

Thank you sir, I’m sure your son will definitely appreciate that. I hope both of my sons don’t hate guns.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 7:43:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SmokeEater2] [#17]
Nice pistola OP!

I've got a soft spot for Colt Commanders and EDC a Lightweight .38 Super with Tripp or Wilson magazines.

The factory mags that came with the gun were a bit sketchy and caused a couple of nose dives. They work fine in a full size Nighthawk though.

ETA-I use Wilson or Chip McCormick shooting star mags in my .45 1911's and haven't had any issues. Ammo is standard pressure 230 grain HST's, 230 grain FMJ and 185 grain Silvertip (big sale once) and it all runs good in everything including a 1943 Remington Rand.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Waiting to do the paper work on mine. It arrived at my LGS today but I forgot to renew my drivers license back in October and my new one isn’t here yet. Hopefully next week I can do the paper work and then get to wait another week or more to pick it up.

Ordered a milt sparks summer carry 2. I have about 1000 rounds of FMJ and 200 rounds of HSTs. Also have about 14 Wilson combat mags that are brand new.

Figured I better get another 1911 since I sold my last one. Looking forward to getting it to the range and have be my winter/spring carry gun.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:53:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Checking back to see how OP is doing.  I have this pistol. A few hundred ran through it.  I run the factory mag and a mix of Wilson Combat and Tripps.   Trips are my favorite.  I had a couple stoppages in the first 100 rounds.  I always kept her well lubed.  In the last couple hundred it has been flawless.  This is with Winchester white box and S&B , and MagTech.  All ball ammo.  I love this pistol.  Hope yours has broken in for you.  Cheers WarDawg. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad you like your Colt. I gave up on it and picked up a HK45C V7.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top