Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2023 7:04:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HngMnHnryDvdsn]
So after years and years of wanting a 1911, I finally decided to pull the trigger so to speak. Put a springfield prodigy 5in 9mm in my hands and fell in love. I pick her up on 9/11.

What are the basics I need to know to enjoy this beauty to its fullest? I plan on eventually putting on an RMR and a x300 turbo.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you have a nice piece on the way. I don't think there is anything special you need to do, just clean it and go shoot it. Also, posts some pics when you get it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:54:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NN300BLK] [#2]
Congratulations! That sounds like a good choice.

Here are some "don'ts" I've heard about .45 ACP 1911's over the years that I personally apply to most firearms (when applicable).

-Never load a round directly into the chamber-- always load from a magazine.
-Never drop the slide on an empty chamber.
-Never drop the hammer on a field-stripped frame.

Manuals are a great resource in my experience.

As always, your experience may vary, be responsible, and be safe.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 1:57:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I always try to shoot 1k rounds out of new pistols. I'm at 800ish with my 1911 currently but probably will go back to complete the final 200 after the new years.

I think you should get some ammo! And some spare magazines if not already. I also think prioritizing the light is a great idea if you plan to use it for HD or whatnot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top