Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2023 5:19:12 AM EDT
When these came out a few years ago I thought they looked great and decided to pick one up.  Think I paid $475.  I love no frills 1911’s and I didn’t own a Springfield so….  Fit and finish was excellent and it shot great.  I decided to change a few things to suit my tastes a little better but still keep the “basic 1911”DNA intact.  

For some reason I don’t like the profile of the Springfield hammer.  It just looks odd to me so I pulled a Colt hammer out of the parts box and mated it to an EGW hard sear I also had sitting around.  Next I added a GI mainspring housing with lanyard loop as I’m a sucker for lanyard loops.  Finally, and this was all aesthetics, I changed the hammer and sear pins to EGW ones with rounded ends.  I hate that Springfield uses the flat sided pins on guns with single sided safties.  Shot it some more and decided I wanted to upgrade the sights.  I only had one pinned sight come off and that was on a 1947 Government Model but I really prefer a dovetailed front sight.    So the slid went to Novak for a white dot front sight.  Then it went to John Harrison to get his Retro rear sight with square notch.  And finally, since I love Parkerizing and the stainless barrel and bushing stuck out like a sore thumb, they went to Jagerworks to get finished in black nitride.  The bushing fit was excellent so I didn’t bother ordering an EGW one.

So while it has a few personal touches, I still think it is a very basic 1911.  Shoots excellent and it will probably not be my last Springfield.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 11:56:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#1]
I like it.  Lowered and flared ejection port is a nice feature.

I can't shoot them without a beavertail or I end up bleeding.  

What mag are they using these days?

This is the least amount of frills I can live with.  This is an unmodified gun other than the grip tape:

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:04:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSeric02] [#2]
Originally Posted By mbinky:
When these came out a few years ago I thought they looked great and decided to pick one up.  Think I paid $475.  I love no frills 1911’s and I didn’t own a Springfield so….  Fit and finish was excellent and it shot great.  I decided to change a few things to suit my tastes a little better but still keep the “basic 1911”DNA intact.  

For some reason I don’t like the profile of the Springfield hammer.  It just looks odd to me so I pulled a Colt hammer out of the parts box and mated it to an EGW hard sear I also had sitting around.  Next I added a GI mainspring housing with lanyard loop as I’m a sucker for lanyard loops.  Finally, and this was all aesthetics, I changed the hammer and sear pins to EGW ones with rounded ends.  I hate that Springfield uses the flat sided pins on guns with single sided safties.  Shot it some more and decided I wanted to upgrade the sights.  I only had one pinned sight come off and that was on a 1947 Government Model but I really prefer a dovetailed front sight.    So the slid went to Novak for a white dot front sight.  Then it went to John Harrison to get his Retro rear sight with square notch.  And finally, since I love Parkerizing and the stainless barrel and bushing stuck out like a sore thumb, they went to Jagerworks to get finished in black nitride.  The bushing fit was excellent so I didn’t bother ordering an EGW one.

So while it has a few personal touches, I still think it is a very basic 1911.  Shoots excellent and it will probably not be my last Springfield.  

https://i.postimg.cc/DZhrC861/temp-Image4-MXYq-M.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/28SwRLDw/temp-Image7os22e.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/bvk0HQxz/temp-Image-Eox-Y21.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Kz5nCxpw/temp-Imagelsoaon.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZnKrS21R/temp-Images-Lrc-Oi.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/8zqB6yrK/temp-Imagesx-KJVM.jpg
View Quote

Very nice, Jeff Cooper would approve!

Great looking stocks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice!  This is very similar to what I want done with mine, although I'm torn between the Harrison retro rear or the MMC adjustable rear.

Admittedly I had not considered the nitride finish on the barrel and bushing.  I think I will add that to my to-do list, as it definitely improves the appearance of your pistol.

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I like it

….but I also need a beavertail grip safety

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 12:08:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lawman75] [#6]
Attachment Attached File

Did a lot of small upgrades to my mil spec over the years. Several trips to Springfields custom shop. I think the only things left original is the slide, frame and barrel.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice

My mom did the paperwork on a milspec when I was 16. I used it weekly at a local indoor range and a client of my mom's brought me to ipsc competitions for the next couple years. After I got out of the Marines it was my EDC for years untill it was stolen.

I've been a Springfield 1911 guy ever since.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 12:47:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#8]
I am a sucker for lanyard loop too. Went with somewhat of GI treatment on my older SAI. I will need to blue (the older SAI barrel was carbon steel in-the-white) my barrel hood some day.

Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Very nice

My mom did the paperwork on a milspec when I was 16. I used it weekly at a local indoor range and a client of my mom's brought me to ipsc competitions for the next couple years. After I got out of the Marines it was my EDC for years untill it was stolen.

View Quote
Damn dude, that sucks. Have you replaced it?
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Very nice

Not with another milspec but I normally carry either a loaded or a lw champion
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Really nice work on that pistola.
I switched out the bushing on my Garrison for the same reason you did, and I really want to send my barrel to Jager now for the nitride; I had not even considered that option and was working on how I was going to address that. Thanks for posting and detailing your work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top