Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2024 12:59:39 AM EDT
I should post this in GD, just so everyone can watch me get my block knocked off.

I'm looking to try doing a 180 with my usual carry weapon and try out a new CCW.

Before anyone gets too wound up, I have a handful of wonder 9s, a few striker 45s, etc. I'm looking to scratch a slightly different itch.

Must haves:

DA/SA
decocker
safety (yes, I'd like both a safety and a decocker...and by that I mean safety on anywhere from cocked and locked, all the way down to safety down/hammer down)
decent mag availability
the slight hope of getting parts in the future
IWB holster availability
again, CCW. I carry at 2:30/3. I'm 6'4" 250, so I can conceal a lot, but there's no way I can conceal something like my Tanfo Stock II. And the sharp edges and beavertail are no bueno. I have a bit of pudge that spills over while seated (working on that)
No threaded bbl (no go in commieland)

I know, I know. I'm already super limited.

Nice to haves:

I'm limited to 10 rounds per my wonderful state. I'm cool with 10rnds@9mm, but am open to other calibers (namely 9, 45, 10, maybe 40). Not looking to go 380 though.
I'm trying to like red dots, I really am. The ability to utilize them would be nice, but not necessary
I may play with a light. Again, not necessary, and holster options will likely be impossible if I try to fit a light onto an already unpopular gun
Metal frame with replaceable grip panels. I like being able to play with grips.

So far, the only thing I'm coming up with is the Arex Zero 1 Compact. I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but would like some options if you guys can think of any.

I typically shoot CZ and Sig, but I am not a died in the wool proponent of either, nor am I that advanced of a shooter that a change would cause me to lose my mind. My answer may be staring me in the face, but I know for a fact that the knowledge on here far surpasses mine.....so lets hear it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:36:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m a Glock guy and been using them for training, competition, on and off duty for 30 years

If I was forced to switch to a DA/SA gun it would likely be H&K

I owned an HK Compact in 9mm and it was an excellent gun.

Another option would be a Sig P229
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:39:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not hip to what modern guns can do cocked & locked, so I say Taurus PT100/101 or HK USP series (or the modern equivalent that still allows C&L + DA).  HK gives you .40s&w or .45acp.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:46:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:23:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Langdon LTT RDO compact. It checks all the boxes, Langdon ships his guns decocker only but converting them to safety decocker is a breeze. There are lots of grip options for it from both VZ and Lok as well as others. The LTT versions are a little up there in price but they are worth it. I have the centurion version and it is a tack driver.

https://langdontactical.com/92-elite-ltt-with-rdo-slide/

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 2:45:25 AM EDT
[#5]
HK USP compact.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:23:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Beretta centurion
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Throw your list in the trash and just buy a beretta 92
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:42:10 AM EDT
[#8]
USP.  Pick your variant.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Lattimer:
I should post this in GD, just so everyone can watch me get my block knocked off.

I'm looking to try doing a 180 with my usual carry weapon and try out a new CCW.

Before anyone gets too wound up, I have a handful of wonder 9s, a few striker 45s, etc. I'm looking to scratch a slightly different itch.

Must haves:

DA/SA
decocker
safety (yes, I'd like both a safety and a decocker...and by that I mean safety on anywhere from cocked and locked, all the way down to safety down/hammer down)
decent mag availability
IWB holster availability
again, CCW. I carry at 2:30/3. I'm 6'4" 250, so I can conceal a lot, but there's no way I can conceal something like my Tanfo Stock II. And the sharp edges and beavertail are no bueno. I have a bit of pudge that spills over while seated (working on that)

Nice to haves:

I'm limited to 10 rounds per my wonderful state. I'm cool with 10rnds@9mm, but am open to other calibers (namely 9, 45, 10, maybe 40). Not looking to go 380 though.
I'm trying to like red dots, I really am. The ability to utilize them would be nice, but not necessary
I may play with a light. Again, not necessary, and holster options will likely be impossible if I try to fit a light onto an already unpopular gun

So far, the only thing I'm coming up with is the Arex Zero 1 Compact. I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but would like some options if you guys can think of any.

I typically shoot CZ and Sig, but I am not a died in the wool proponent of either, nor am I that advanced of a shooter that a change would cause me to lose my mind. My answer may be staring me in the face, but I know for a fact that the knowledge on here far surpasses mine.....so lets hear it.
View Quote

FN FNX

https://fnamerica.com/products/pistols/fnx-9/
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:19:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
HK USP compact.
View Quote

Yup.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

I have the Rex Zero

It meets all those requirements except I have no idea about 10rd mags.

The trigger is nothing to write home about - pretty poor. There's no aftermarket support other than holsters / mags that I know of. It's big and heavy and I doubt I'll ever carry it.

The reason I haven't sold it yet? It fills the role of a Sig P226 that is left hand friendly.

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:08:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#12]
My 1943 Spreewerke P38 fits that bill. 7 round mag.
Safety with decocker, SA/DA. It's the first pistol ever I believe, to have a decocker.

They can be had for about $800 still. Its a nice pistol.

Since your state leaders are like Nazis, might as well carry a Nazi pistol!

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MONGO45:
I'm a Glock guy and been using them for training, competition, on and off duty for 30 years

If I was forced to switch to a DA/SA gun it would likely be H&K

I owned an HK Compact in 9mm and it was an excellent gun.

Another option would be a Sig P229
View Quote

P229R
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Thread
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Beretta 92 Compact
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#16]
HK P30S is pretty close.  Has safety and decocker, is DA/SA, LTT can mill it for an optic.  It's Polymer though, but you can still swap grips around on it
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:13:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#17]
HK USP compact.
View Quote

This probably has the highest percentage of your feature list.

You would have to send it off to get milled for a red dot. ($150 last I checked at Impact Machine).

You would have to add a GG&G rail adapter for a light or Streamlight sells a TLR4 for them with an adapter for the USP Compact.

Spare parts availability is much better than you would think for an HK handgun.

I don’t think there’s another handgun that can be carried in a larger variety of ways and they made it pretty simple to do it.

Holster options are decent as it was the only plastic fantastic double action carry gun for a long time.

The big elephant in the room is the USP’s are lower German only production for HK these days so price has skyrocketed on them. You’re looking at $1000+ entry fee.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#18]
HK P30 DA/SA, w safety and decocker.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Redman556:
View Quote

Was going to post this from the parameters it really sounds like you spec-ed out a HK pistol of some flavor.  HK 45, P30, USP, or P2000 there is a variant with what you want in each line.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bigthicket:
Beretta 92 Compact
View Quote

This one checks all your boxes, specifically J92CR92070

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/product/92x-rdo-compact-FA0047
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:30:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#21]
Unless you’re a complete homo, consider an Old School S&W 3rd Gen. pistol.  

The 10XX-series are my preferred choice but, admittedly, they’re either scarce or super-spendy.  That leaves the 9mm 59XX-series, 40XX-series, or 45XX-series.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you all

Off to do a lot of googling. May come back with some further questions
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Cocked and locked with the Rex Zero 1. It can also be carried hammer down safety off and hammer down safety on.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#24]
I would go USP Compact ALL the way, it's pretty much your list.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I mean, C'mon.

Link Posted: 2/2/2024 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#26]
CZ P-07?
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 12:55:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EncoreGolf] [#27]
Taurus TH9C.  Seriously.  Also, the 10rd version ships with 3 mags.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#28]
h&K p30sks
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Try looking at a PX4.  I'm liking them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Must haves:

DA/SA
decocker
decent mag availability
IWB holster availability

Nice to haves:

View Quote

I just picked up a Taurus TH 9C. Havent shot it yet but it has everything you are looking for.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Redman556:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#32]
HK USP compact.
View Quote

USP compact 40 fits your want list perfectly.

Or a USP Compact 45. Holds 8 rds of 45 but has 10rd mags available and is comfortable. I’m waiting for one I ordered last week. I also have the 40 compact mentioned above.

The P30SK W/Safety will also fit your want list. I have the P30SK without the safety and it’s a great carry gun.

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 3:14:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PRYDE] [#33]
I would also choose Beretta, especially with the newer upgraded factory slim-grip models or an LTT model.

The HK does have an edge in the fact that it probably would conceal better due to the lack of the beavertail, however:
I have shot and owned many HKs before but all of the DA triggers on the guns were horrendous to the point of being nigh unshootable.

There is a reason why HKs are almost never used in any professional gun games period, there are a decent number of high performing and sponsored Beretta shooters.
Other negatives are that you cannot fit a modern light on any USP guns without an adapter, the rail is proprietary and nobody uses that pattern anymore.

As someone also mentioned, the PX4 is a fantastic gun with a great trigger as well, only downside is that it is in fact ugly as sin.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:00:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#34]
Originally Posted By _DR:
My 1943 Spreewerke P38 fits that bill. 7 round mag.
Safety with decocker, SA/DA. It's the first pistol ever I believe, to have a decocker.

They can be had for about $800 still. Its a nice pistol.

Since your state leaders are like Nazis, might as well carry a Nazi pistol!

View Quote

Walther's PP series did that few years before.

OP, Taurus 92/100 series or Beretta 92/96.  S&W 3rd Gen as stated.  Had several 6904/6906s that were 100% reliable.

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#35]
USPC is a vibe for sure. It should be in everyone’s collection.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

And if you throw the HK VP9 15-17 VP9 conversion kit into the USPc magazine it increases the 9mm cap by 2 and the 40 by 1 the kit also works in the full-size USP mags. Everything still works as it should. Tested and proven.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#37]
CZ P07
Px4 Storm
P30S
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:30:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Must haves:

DA/SA
decocker
decent mag availability
IWB holster availability

Nice to haves:

View Quote

FN FNX 9mm
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:59:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#39]
Sig p229 is my vote or if you want the look/name m11a1
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Very limited if you want both a decocker and safety. USP, 92, P30, or FNX come to mind.

You should wash this as a requirement and get a CZ-75.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#41]
3rd gen smith and wessons have all this i belive. Down side is they are a bit heavier than the polymer wonder 9's
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Sounds like you want a HK USP Compact.

Of course my favorite DA/SA guns are the Beretta 92FS and Sig P228.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#43]
They are getting a little harder to find but maybe a Walther P99?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't own a single Taurus but they do make a .45 and 10mm that fit your requirements, other than OR.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Kwisak:
Sig p229 is my vote or if you want the look/name m11a1
View Quote

OP wants a safety and decocker .
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 2:19:34 AM EDT
[#46]
My recommendation for concealed carry would either be a HK P30S in 9 or 40.

If discreetness is a higher priority I suggest a HK P30 SKS (9) model with safety. You still have the option for a light and red dot later if you decide. There are other choices with better triggers but I find P30 perfectly fine for a carry pistol. Since you’re limited to 10 rounds find the cheapest one possible and don't look back.  

If fully set against polymer frame, look into the CZ line also.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#47]
M9a3
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Honestly the USP Compact seems like it hits most of those needs.  HK45 Compact if you like .45.

I’m an enthusiast of the Beretta 92 family, I think the newer compact models probably work like the M9A4/92X Centurion family though the M9A4 variants have a threaded barrel.  Also the older M9A1 Compact out there with the shorter grip.

Heck, aside from being a .380 the Beretta 80X hits your notes and is a ton of fun.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:01:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seven-Shooter] [#49]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:
Throw your list in the trash and just buy a beretta 92
View Quote

Originally Posted By M-60:
USP.  Pick your variant.
View Quote
This about sums it up.  Toss the P30 in there for good measure, and maybe the HK P2000, I think?

You can have any DASA you want, as long as it's European.

C&L eliminates 99% of all the options.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Limited to 10 rounds? HK P30sk or its big brother the P30 with 10 round mags.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top