Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2024 11:32:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BlindFaith429]
Considering a higher-end 22lr to shoot for recreationally target shooting, and possibly informal bullseye (local range has a "bring what you got" recreational shoot every week).

Have a few 22's right now, but nothing super high end. My 2 that I take out most now are a worked Buck Mark with a red-dot (built it for the wife to shoot, and it does that very well) and my Sig Trailside (4" model with wood field grips).

Was thinking something a little higher end, with some form of adjustable ergonomic grips (like the Nill Griffe type adjustable grips).

Been looking at used older pistols (FAS 602's, Unique DES 69's, FN Internationals, Model 41's, Hammerli's, High Standard), and some newer pistols as well (X-ESSE models, Volquartsen, Upgraded Buck-Marks).

The Volquartsen pistols seem to be pretty well liked, but those would be my upper end of my budget range. I know they are nicely made and they seem to shoot well, but in my mind, they are just another Mark 4 (yes, I know there are differences and they are higher end than a standard, off-the-shelf Mark 4).

I know this is a very broad, user-specific question.

What would be a target pistol to look at in the $1,000 range (or less obviously), with some kind of ergonomic adjustable grips?

And yes, I have considered just putting a set of Nills on my Trailside and calling it a day, and saving myself some money.

EDIT:

Update to round out this thread.

Picked up a High Standard "Victor" from a local shop. Serial puts it at a late 1972 production.

I have a set of really nice factory thumb-rest grips, but also grabbed this set of NOS "Sile" grips to try (little more target oriented).

Had to give it a good cleaning (inside was filthy) and fix a trigger-reset issue, but now its all better and the slide feels like its on glass rails.

I do plan to put in a new recoil spring prior to shooting (has an unknown round count), but other than that, she's all done.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Just buy a Model 41 and shoot that until you are National Champion.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are looking at old guns. High Standard 106 or 107 Supermatics are hard to beat.

If you are looking for new go with a Volquartsen. The Ruger based guns are extremely accurate and reliable.
S&W model 41s are great guns too, but can be finicky as hell. My gun will only function reliably with Federal SV ammo.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By J-D1911:
If you are looking at old guns. High Standard 106 or 107 Supermatics are hard to beat.

If you are looking for new go with a Volquartsen. The Ruger based guns are extremely accurate and reliable.
S&W model 41s are great guns too, but can be finicky as hell. My gun will only function reliably with Federal SV ammo.
View Quote

Funny you say that, stopped in at a local shop today and they had a really nice High Standard Supermatic Trophy I almost walked out with.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BlindFaith429:

Funny you say that, stopped in at a local shop today and they had a really nice High Standard Supermatic Trophy I almost walked out with.
View Quote

Those are very nice. The Victor would be a Model 41 competitor.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
you seem to like the sig. make it what you want it to be.  or since you already have a buckmark, get the fancy one and run alot of rounds thru it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cschaeff:

Those are very nice. The Victor would be a Model 41 competitor.
View Quote

They had a Victor there as well, with the vent rib. I liked the looks of the Trophy better, so I asked to see that one.

The Victor looked more like a field pistol than the Trophy, with the vent rib, though I'm not sure that's the case.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:07:07 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want high end .22 LR, Volquartzen is your answer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 2:49:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tangeant] [#8]
Like said 106-107, ML  series  High standard preferably Victor. $600-900

S&W 41 . Finicky, most not drilled and tapped for scopemount, second bbl way more expensive than spare match HS one.

Xesse.

Marvel/ Nelson  1911 conversion.

I would not waste $ on Volquertson Ruger Mk bbq gun.

If you can't find a suitable HS I'd recommend  a Hammerli Xesse or Marvel over a 41 they are a better value . 41s are waaay overpriced
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#9]

They had a Victor there as well, with the vent rib. I liked the looks of the Trophy better, so I asked to see that one.

The Victor looked more like a field pistol than the Trophy, with the vent rib, though I'm not sure that's the case.
View Quote

The Victor is the premier HS target pistol. Easier to DOT, remove rib and attach scope rail using rib mount screw holes.

The " Field" HS would be the fixed sight Sport King. If you can find a Sport King -M they use a mil grip frame like 106-107 , pop a LSP match bbl on it and you have a poormans Victor...
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 3:58:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#10]
I bought my 41 used, and it had extraction issues.  A Volquartsen extractor fixed it and a good chamber scrubbing took care of all of the issues.  I love it.  

I also added the Vq extractor to my Ruger 22-45 and both 10-22s.  I highly recommend this, even if you aren't having problems yet.

Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Pistol shooting is more about eyesight ,personal skill and practice .

A junker Ruger Mark II is not going to cut the mustard much beyond a real beginner level but a new or used S&W model 41 and a case of CCI Standard velocity will cover the bases pretty well for 95% of competitive shooters . If you are not shooting it at the level you want it is likely you , not the gun .

Fairly easy to find in  the new or used markets and holds its value pretty good.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By nhsport:
Pistol shooting is more about eyesight ,personal skill and practice .

A junker Ruger Mark II is not going to cut the mustard much beyond a real beginner level but a new or used S&W model 41 and a case of CCI Standard velocity will cover the bases pretty well for 95% of competitive shooters . If you are not shooting it at the level you want it is likely you , not the gun .

Fairly easy to find in  the new or used markets and holds its value pretty good.

View Quote

I have found some Rugers to be exceptionally accurate. I have a MKII competition slab sides that is every bit as accurate as my model 41, but the trigger is no where near as nice. My MKIII target is close, but it's been VQ'ed. My 22/45 is good for plinking only.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quick update:

Went and put the Victor on layaway. She's not a flawless collector piece, but has good bones. With a little TLC, it with be a fantastic shooter. All for a whopping $450.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:02:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tangeant] [#14]
Quick update:

Went and put the Victor on layaway. She's not a flawless collector piece, but has good bones. With a little TLC, it with be a fantastic shooter. All for a whopping $450.
View Quote

That's a steal if a Hamden or Hartford with push button bbl.

Even a Mitchel or Stoeger Victor is worth that.

How much did they want for Trophy ?

At least if it looks used you know it works !
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:15:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlindFaith429] [#15]
Originally Posted By tangeant:

That's a steal if a Hamden or Hartford with push button bbl.

Even a Mitchel or Stoeger Victor is worth that.

How much did they want for Trophy ?

At least if it looks used you know it works !
View Quote

It's a 1972 Hamden "The Victor" model (per the stamp on the barrel) with the push-button take-down.

Supermatic Trophy was a 1973 model with the smooth bull barrel (also Hamden-made) for $600. I liked the Supermatic Trophy better esthetically, with the bridge rear sight, but the $150 less for the Victor made up my mind for me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a couple High Standard Victors, a Hamden and an early East Hartford.

You’ll like them,  I prefer them to both my similar vintage Model 41 and my recent Model 41.  The triggers are better, and they just fit my hand better.

As you’ll discover the Victor feeds directly from the magazine had has no feed ramp.  Consequently feed lip adjustment is imperative.   The original High Standard magazines work fine as do the newer Interams TX made magazines.  However you’ll want to get a magazine adjustment tool for it from Interarms TX.

Other aftermarket magazines are crap as the lips are too soft and won’t stay in adjustment.

The major concern with the Victor is the potential for a crack in the frame rail above the cut out for the slide stop. The steel in between the slide stop cut out and the magazine well it thin, and the frame is 1045 alloy steel that is prone to fatigue cracks.

Never shoot anything other than standard velocity ammunition in a 102 through 107 High Standard pistol and change the recoil spring frequently.

https://histandard.info/PDF2017A/VICTOR%20VARIATIONS%20Latest%20%20%205-31-2017%20%20%20.pdf
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DakotaFAL:
I have a couple High Standard Victors, a Hamden and an early East Hartford.

type Status report

description Access to the specified resource has been forbidden.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.68 (Ubuntu)

" target="_blank">https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/Rimfires/.highres/3EF6C669-2E54-4D4F-90AC-F96FA297B021_zpsdabdbuy8.jpg?width=590&height=590&fit=bounds

You’ll like them,  I prefer them to both my similar vintage Model 41 and my recent Model 41.  The triggers are better, and they just fit my hand better.

As you’ll discover the Victor feeds directly from the magazine had has no feed ramp.  Consequently feed lip adjustment is imperative.   The original High Standard magazines work fine as do the newer Interams TX made magazines.  However you’ll want to get a magazine adjustment tool for it from Interarms TX.

Other aftermarket magazines are crap as the lips are too soft and won’t stay in adjustment.

The major concern with the Victor is the potential for a crack in the frame rail above the cut out for the slide stop. The steel in between the slide stop cut out and the magazine well it thin, and the frame is 1045 alloy steel that is prone to fatigue cracks.

Never shoot anything other than standard velocity ammunition in a 102 through 107 High Standard pistol and change the recoil spring frequently.

https://histandard.info/PDF2017A/VICTOR%20VARIATIONS%20Latest%20%20%205-31-2017%20%20%20.pdf
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I've read the same thing about the magazines and the ammo selection. I have a big stash of Std Velocity stuff since I feed my Sig Trailside that ammo.

I really like the solid rib on that upper one. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Seen pics on RimFC, has some miles on it but still a good deal at 450.

If the trigger pull / weight is good I wouldn't mess with replacing any trigger parts that would change it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#19]
S&W 41 . Finicky, most not drilled and tapped for scopemount, second bbl way more expensive than spare match HS one.
View Quote

Most of them are not finicky. The issue more often is people buying a match grade gun that specifically states is designed for match ammo and then get pissed when it won't run cheap bulk ammo.

As for the D&T, 41's have been D&T's for at least 30 years now and if you happen to get one that's not, any decent smith can take care of that easily and cheaply.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By airgunner:

Most of them are not finicky. The issue more often is people buying a match grade gun that specifically states is designed for match ammo and then get pissed when it won't run cheap bulk ammo.

As for the D&T, 41's have been D&T's for at least 30 years now and if you happen to get one that's not, any decent smith can take care of that easily and cheaply.
View Quote

Relax... Most haven't been DT is correct. They are finicky even with match ammo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Relax... Most haven't been DT is correct. They are finicky even with match ammo.
View Quote

BS on both counts but keep flinging it and maybe it will stick
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:40:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Walther GSP.

Mags are affordable & in gently used condition, the gun can be found around $1K. Walther still makes this model, so spare parts can be had, if needed.

Love mine.

Also have a Smith 41, which needs no introduction. Mags are $30, which is nice.

Some of the upper end Buckmarks aren't to be sneezed at, IMO. Browning does a helluva job on their barrels, IMO.

Hammerli is always in the conversation when fine .22's are discussed. I have an International model as well as their Sig Trailside.

GSP:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Were I in the market, I'd be looking for a Colt Woodsman Match Target.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:06:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andyd] [#24]
I have owned and shot most of the pistols that were discussed. I agree that the S&W 41 often does not have the same reliability as a Hammerli International, even with top quality SV ammo but the S&W will last longer.

The Unique DES69 is known for its reliability and sturdiness. Hammerli 208 rarely last past 60,000 rounds before the frame starts cracking, the same is true for the pre 67,000 Walther GSP. The GSP pictured in the thread above has the cocking pieces of the .32 S&W Long, giving the bolt more weight to handle the recoil better. The High Standard pistols  also have a weak spot and guns have to be checked for cracks in the frame.

I disagree with the statement that the Ruger MkII generally isn't accurate. The MkIIs I had all had good mechanical accuracy but did not have a match trigger. The difference in scores between a Ruger MkII and a Hammerli International will only be noticed by someone who shoots over 95% and in my experience that are less than 3% of shooters.

I am more and more shooting an FN 150 International. When I had joined a pistol club we had a Colt OMM and an FN 150, the Colt had timing problems after several decades but the FN 150 is still working and as accurate as ever. Our club president had forgotten his own .22 when we had a club match and he won it with the club owned FN, setting a record of 299/300 that is still unbroken.

My FN 150

And that is what is sometimes used for comparison

Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:01:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bounce19712] [#25]
Someone mentioned eyesight,  ☹️

And its great to hear Volq makes stuff for the 41.

I picked one up and some rugers, a Hammerli 107, and a nice S&W 622 recently.

For a grand,   Youll get something great,   And you spent 450,   Nice deal.  Very nice.   My lgs asks double.

Now buy ammo,  find the magic round.  School them at the weeklys.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:55:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clovis_Ledbetter_Jr] [#26]
I like the later model European 22 target pistols that keep the reciprocating parts forward to minimize muzzle rise. Walther GSP, Pardini SP, Feinwerkbau AW93, Hammerli 280 and SP20, etc.

The US Army target team still uses refurbished Hammerli 208/215 pistols but mount Aimpoint 9000SC red dots on them.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
If you want high end .22 LR, Volquartsen is your answer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:33:23 AM EDT
[#28]
For informal or recreational shooting it doesn't matter so much.  If you want to win, look at what winners are using.   Look at what the AMU and other serious competitors are using.  It is typically not a Ruger or Buckmark.  Its is not that master scores can't be produced with lower end pistols; there are definite advantages, regardless of skill level, when using what is best.  

A model 41 is not in the league of the European varieties, but (for now) it is still produced, parts and magazines are readily available/affordable and it is much more refined than more affordable options.  A used Hammerli 208 or 215 can be found for about the same money and will be better.

If wanting to mount optics, A model 41 made in the last couple decades will already be drilled and tapped.  Older model 41s, High Standards, Hammerlis, etc. will require more effort and expense to mound optics if not already modified.  Don't go too cheap on optics though, again look at what winners and serious competitors are using.  It is not Bushnell or Tasco.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top