Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2023 6:17:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: iGottaDropADuce]
So I stumbled into the local gun shop not long ago as they had recently posted on social media that they took in a fairly large collection of guns, all on consignment for a quick sale. While searching through the items, I spotted a blued(?), older looking, no rail, Springfield TRP. Lo and behold, the price tag was only $750 with two magazines! I know a little about them but not too much. My only 1911 experience is a black friday Tisas deal from last year and I thoroughly enjoy them. So I put it on layaway but anticipate just paying it off this week. What do I need to know about them? It APPEARS to be older so it might be an armory kote finish that I have seen some talk about? I just figured a TRP under $900 was an instant buy.

I will obviously post pics once I have it in my hands

Any worthwhile upgrades, information, etc, about them?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
you will enjoy it immensely
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Smoking deal, well done!

That pistol should serve you well for years to come.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 4FishLimit:
Smoking deal, well done!

That pistol should serve you well for years to come.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I love the non-railed versions of the TRP. Sadly, I don't see too many of them.

Good buy, OP!!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jd2395:
you will enjoy it immensely
View Quote

This. ^

Best-shooting pistol I own.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice!  

Great price.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Here she is, in all her glory. No two piece guide rod, N prefix serial number, and left side only safety. Anybody able to give me more info just based on the picture?

Link Posted: 7/28/2023 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure, but there appear to be several after market parts.  Hammer for one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 7:50:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: iGottaDropADuce] [#9]
Originally Posted By M-60:
Not sure, but there appear to be several after market parts.  Hammer for one.
View Quote

I see that now. This poster appears to have a similar one and his hammer has more of an oval shape in it as opposed to mine with a round hole. But his also does not have the magwell.

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/early-springfield-trp-question.506651/
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By iGottaDropADuce:

I see that now. This poster appears to have a similar one and his hammer has more of an oval shape in it as opposed to mine with a round hole. But his also does not have the magwell.

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/early-springfield-trp-question.506651/
View Quote

Mine is a newer version.  I don't know what changes have been made over the years.

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 1:59:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Those grips on your stainless gun look really nice!
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:33:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GrandmasterB] [#12]
Congrats on a nice looking TRP for a nice price!  I like mine. I added a solid trigger because I prefer the look and switched to a Heinie rear site with fiber optic front.  Got it for a similar price several years ago - wasn’t looking for one, but couldn’t resist.

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Where does the TRP fall among the Pro and the loaded model?  I'm looking for a higher end duty grade for retirement.  Really been looking a LB, but I really like SA as my milspec has been good to me.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
Where does the TRP fall among the Pro and the loaded model?  I'm looking for a higher end duty grade for retirement.  Really been looking a LB, but I really like SA as my milspec has been good to me.
View Quote

In between. They were originally marketed as a non-custom clone of the FBI pistols with some tool steel parts and minor fitting compared to the Mil-Spec or Loaded guns.

Cool find OP!
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#15]
So small update. Took it shooting and it did outstanding! After about 50-75 rounds, it began cycling noticeable slow and was very gritty. Packed it up and brought it home to examine. After taking it apart, I realized that the blue recoil buffer that was on the guide rod, had exploded and disintegrated and left blue chips all over the inside of the pistol. Cleaned it out well, lubed it, and was smooth as butter again!

Does anybody actually recommend those recoil buffers? From everything I could find, people say they arent necessary. Also, I wont be feeding it a steady diet of hot loads, mostly soft handloads.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't use them just for the reason you stated.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#17]
They're not really necessary but as long as you inspect them on a regular basis you'll be able to catch them before they fall apart.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
They're not really necessary but as long as you inspect them on a regular basis you'll be able to catch them before they fall apart.
View Quote

This. Not necessary but if you want them, keep an eye on them regularly and you can prevent that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#19]
They can also shorten the slide's rearward travel enough to prevent slingshotting the slide.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks guys. It came in the gun when I bought it. Appeared to be in decent condition but I guess not. I opted not to put one back in and the gun ran like a champ yesterday so we’re back in business. I’d like to install the correct style hammer at some point down the line.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Nicely done!

I just picked up a newer TRP the other week.  Still have to get out to the range with it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Atlas Gunworks included the plastic buffers on the guide rod when I received my new pistols so they must approve of the buffers.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Old school goodness...
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I never use the buffer in a 1911 , run a 16 or 18 pd spring and you are good to go ,
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Mines an operator.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 10:42:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dullard] [#26]
Oh, we flexing?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I impulse bought a used TRP locally little better than a year ago, I already had the exact same gun, this one is in excellent shape, came with all from the factory and a extra mag, I have the guy $900 for it, I thought I got a good deal, yours is killer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top