Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2023 10:48:49 AM EDT
I continuously fail at the number one rule of concealed carry, always have a gun on you.  

When I do carry it’s always IWB and it’s either a G19 or a S&W shield at the 3:30 position.  I just get lazy and sometimes it’s hard to dress around the gun.  

So I really want to try pocket carry.  I don’t have the funds for a sig 365 or a Glock 43 so I’m going to start off with my shield.  

But I’ve always carried my wallet and a pocket knife in my right pocket and my cell phone and a flashlight in my left pocket.  My keys float between different pockets depending on circumstances but usually end up in the left front pocket too.  

So how should I rearrange all my stuff to be able to pocket carry.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#1]
1. Pistol in a suitable and secure pocket holster in right front pants pocket and nothing else.

This is the way.

Arrange everything else as comfortably as possible, but do not violate the above No. 1 rule.

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. Pistol in a suitable and secure pocket holster in right front pants pocket and nothing else.

This is the way.

Arrange everything else as comfortably as possible, but do not violate the above No. 1 rule.

View Quote

I absolutely agree with that.  But where do you put your wallet?  Do you carry both a light and a pocket knife in your left front pocket?

I thought about moving the knife to the outside corner of my back right pocket but idk.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]
My job required all firearms be concealed...after years and years carrying concealed you finally figure out the most comfortable, secure, and best way (at least for me) to carry.

I realize OP asked about pocket carry, so my best suggestion there would be to have a specially designed holster that fits the exact outline of your pocket, and the "blister" to hold the pistol is on your leg side with smooth leather facing the trouser side of your pocket in order to conceal the outline of the pistol.  I made a holster for myself that way and it worked well.

However the most comfortable way for me to carry was a really sturdy 1.75" belt and a high quality outside pants holster.  I always found that inside the pants holsters either pulled my trousers to one side, or required me to buy trousers in a larger size.  Eventually most folks will figure out what is most comfortable, or will stop carrying much.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
pocket carry for me, excluding a couple of cool months with long pants, is in nylon cargo pocket shorts.... with the G43 in a Recluse 2S cargo holster in the cargo pocket, I have much more access to it if seated, than with the tighter fitting front pocket... that gives me room for a wave opening clip folder in the right front pocket, and I carry the spare mag loose in my left front pocket... keys on a belt clip, and flip phone in a Maxpedition belt pouch
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
pocket carry for me, excluding a couple of cool months with long pants, is in nylon cargo pocket shorts.... with the G43 in a Recluse 2S cargo holster in the cargo pocket, I have much more access to it if seated, than with the tighter fitting front pocket... that gives me room for a wave opening clip folder in the right front pocket, and I carry the spare mag loose in my left front pocket... keys on a belt clip, and flip phone in a Maxpedition belt pouch
View Quote

Do you find carrying in the cargo pocket creates a lot of swing?
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#6]
you definitely know it is there, but manageable ...at 75 I can get away with using a pair of suspenders to help hold up the extra weight of the pistol and magazine....I'm a Florida concealed permit holder from back when any "printing" was potentially a problem, and the Bimini Bay cargo pockets are pleated and really break up any smooth outline the holster produces.... I'm conscious about making sure I don't bump into things on my right side....the Recluse two sided cargo pocket holster is split down the spine of the leather and gives you access to the grip while the pistol is still in the holster... much more access than my wedding & funeral LCP that I carry in a Sam Andrews pistol pocket in more formal trousers....
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]
My minimum for the hardest clothes to ccw for, is a Ruger LCP in a Recluse pocket holster.
In the tightest pants,  it looks like s cell phone or wallet.

Usually it's the daily BUG , not the primary.

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I absolutely agree with that.  But where do you put your wallet?  Do you carry both a light and a pocket knife in your left front pocket?

I thought about moving the knife to the outside corner of my back right pocket but idk.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the way.

I travel a lot for work and am in some sketchy areas.  I moved my real wallet with my important stuff to an ankle wallet.  When I am running errands I will take a 20 and a CC and put it in my second shirt pocket.  I carry my knife clipped inot my weak side hip pocket.  I carry keys and POM in my weak side from pocket.  I carry my phone on my weak side hip.  I clip a light on my belt if I am going out after dark.  My psitol is in the strong side pocket in a holster.  
I have bought my trousers to allow for this.  I cannot go with untucked shirts and I cannot not wear cover garments all the time.  I cannot allow for printing.  I have systematically redone my pants inventory to allow for pocket carry.  I know it is not preferred method; but I always carry now unless I am going through a metal detector. I have three sizes of pistols to allow for my pants to be usable, some of them print more easily than others.  I have a Bodyguard, an LCP MAX (I don't love .380; but Underwood has made an ammo that I am more comfortable with), and I have a P365, a Shield Plus (I am trying out), and a Hellcat (I do not carry as much).  If I am in Chicago (where I will go to jail if caught), I wear the Bodyguard in ankle holster (opposite my wallet) as a poor option, but better than a sharp stick.
I am trying out a pair of the CCW Breakaways.  I must admit a little fuddy even for this old man; but they will conceal a Glck 20 if you want.  
Also, I carry a mugger wallet.  This is an old wallet in my hip pocket with a few singles in it and some expired gift cards and credit cards.  That is to hand over instead of my real wallet.  I have never seen an armed robbery video where a shirt pocket was searched, or ankles.  
I will also say I am left handed.  I decided to use this to my advantage by keeping all my common stuff on my right side to feign being right handed.  All my goodies are on the right side, only the pistol is on the left.  This may create a better chance at a counter ambush from an unexpected direction.  
I know pocket carry gets dragged here all the time. BUt I find it has some advantages that need to be pointed out.
As above, I carry all the time--if I have pants on I have a pistol.  
No cover garments needed, and a tucked shirt is not a issue.  
I know it is slower from a dead draw than appendix; however, a draw can be staged without moving a garment.  If you are in a straight up face off gunfight, appendix is faster; but if I have my draw staged, you would be in trouble as soon as I see you move hands to waist.
The most probable situation is that if you are paying attention to your surroundings at all the attacker can be detected enough in advance to allow for a staged draw; or if your goodies are all on the right, most people foget about the existence of left handers.  
I have several pocket holsters, an alabama for my 365 is likley my favorite for that pistol, though I do have a TT leather for it, but it does not draw as smooth.  I use sticky for the small pistols and they seem fine.  CCW Breakaway makes a pocket holster that I am liking also.  It works perfectly in their pants. Like I said, you can carry a howitzer in those.  They seem too loose, I am going to have a seamstress look them.  The lady that does this for me carries and she understands the issues.  
There are still a few things I am working on, but I am pretty happy with the system.  No tight jeans of course, but I am long past that anyway.  I also cannot wear cargo or BDU type pants all the time.  I have some dress slacks that cannot be eliminated from my dress--so i have the smaller flatter pistols.  I have been in meetings with some folks from Moms Demand Action and have just been joyful inside listening to them sitting there armed.  

One handed draw without garment manipulation is also a plus.
There are some minuses I am working on; but I will say the CCW Breakaways solve the seated draw problem quite well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
You could clip your knife onto your pants IWB, I do that often when wearing bball shorts. I'm a big fan of belt pouches as an extra pocket though I realize that's not everyone's thing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Start by saying I’m a lefty.

I work on cars for a living. Wear my uniform shirt tucked in. A hip holster would be hard to conceal without at least the clips showing on the outside. Not to mention, a lot of bending, leaning, twisting, laying on the ground etc.

I pocket carry a P3AT with desantis nemesis holder in left front pocket with nothing else. Wallet and pocket knife in left back pocket. Streamlight microstream can go clipped in right back pocket, though at work I carry a bigger streamlight in a kydex holster on my belt weak side. Phone in right front pocket and keys clipped to a belt loop. It works out because my work pants are like a dickies style cargo pant so the front pockets are fairly deep and loose fitting. I can draw from the pocket without too much struggle. Plus as someone else said, if things look sketchy I can have a grip on the pistol and it just looks like I have my hands in my pockets.

Normally it’s an G19 and spare mag AIWB. Occasionally I will pocket carry the same setup in jeans or shorts outside of work if I’m just running a quick errand or something. The draw is a little more difficult but still doable. Just gotta stay a little more aware and plan around having a little longer draw time.

ETA: Oof! Just realized I was replying to a 4 month old thread
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Pocket carry is my preferred method for a lot of reasons.
Mostly I wear cargo shorts ( in AZ this is close to a year round wardrobe) or cargo pants.
While left handed I carry the pistol in the right front pocket ( I shoot right handed )
My wallet and keys are in lower right cargo pocket
Lower left cargo pocket is a sort of spare.( small flashlight is clipped to front edge of pocket)
Knife and reload in left front pocket.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#12]
https://warriorpoetsupplyco.com/warrior-poet-key-lanyard/

Regarding keys.....I use this for keys. Clip to belt loop & dangle in back pocket. They keep out of the way.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Primary is a Commander or G45 IWB at about 3:30.

Pocket holster with S&W 442 (no reloads) right rear pants pocket,

Folder in right front pants.

Streamlight and card/cash wallet in left front pants.

Phone in chest pocket or right rear pants depending on dress.

Key fob on a small 'biner clipped on belt loop.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I've pocket carried for about 8 years now, it's doable and for many (myself included) it's just what you have to do.

Have tried several different 'flavors' of pocket carry guns: Double Tap Defense 2 shot .45ACP (it worked ok, reliable, just hellish recoil), Glock 43 (worked a little better, occasional hiccup usually induced by my own grip/lack-of-grip), LCP (less reliable/ammo-sensitive), LCPII (even less reliable/ammo-sensitive), Springfield Armory Hellcat (same as Glock 43, but even heavier w/ slightly thicker grip) and currently:

I run a S&W model 637 (1.875") with 125gr .38special +P from Buffalo Bore. This is thus far the finest pocket carry piece I've tried. Always reliable, lighter weight than the Glock 43, darn near the same size/foot-print. Much easier to get a firing grip on the gun while still pocketed as well. With my current load, practically the same power level as the 9mm+P 124gr Hornady that I run in all my 9mm guns (Glocks, Tanfoglios, etc). Yes a revolver is the 'stick-shift' of the handgun world, it requires more time/training to learn how to reload and also master the DA trigger.

Used Desantis holsters for awhile now, but recently upgraded to these:

Front right:
https://aholster.com/pocket-backbone/

Front left:
https://aholster.com/aholster-bactrian/
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Right front pocket is for the holstered gun only

wallet and spare mag in left pocket (wallet in front/middle-facing of pocket and it holds the mag behind it vertical just fine while the pants are worn), light clipped to back/outer corner of left pocket

knife clipped to outer/front corner of left rear pocket (can clip to outer corner of rear right pocket if you prefer)

keys in right rear pocket
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#17]
P32 every day for work. I have to wear dress slacks and it’s the lightest real gun out there. Also get multiple pocket holsters, it’s surprising how some fit differently across various pants and shorts. In summer I wear the ubiquitous dad style cargo shorts and typically carry a 365 .380 in the right front pocket. Again it’s not just the size but the lighter weight that allows this. I carry an OTF knife and I will clip it in the corner of my right front pocket as well but it doesn’t go down far enough to touch the gun. I regularly coach softball with this setup and it works great.
I don’t carry my wallet normally, just a money clip with a few bucks left front pocket. Only my key fob, no keys and a can of Skoal.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is the way.

View Quote

Oh. Look. FPNI.
LOL
This.

They make these clippy-do things? Cards and a little flash money in a clip. This instead of a wallet, it's thinner.

Desantis makes decent pocket holsters. I didn't use the velcroed-on flap that's supposed to help concel because it made everything ridicilously bulky LOL.
Also, if you want good leather including pocket holsters, check out this guy. Rob's been building holsters over twenty years. Great stuff.

https://www.simplyrugged.com/
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 2:37:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I continuously fail at the number one rule of concealed carry, always have a gun on you.

When I do carry it’s always IWB and it’s either a G19 or a S&W shield at the 3:30 position.  I just get lazy and sometimes it’s hard to dress around the gun.

So I really want to try pocket carry.  I don’t have the funds for a sig 365 or a Glock 43 so I’m going to start off with my shield.

But I’ve always carried my wallet and a pocket knife in my right pocket and my cell phone and a flashlight in my left pocket.  My keys float between different pockets depending on circumstances but usually end up in the left front pocket too.

So how should I rearrange all my stuff to be able to pocket carry.
View Quote

I moved my wallet to the back pocket. Light goes in a Surefire Speed Holster weak hand side. Much handier. Cell phone is in a Condor Admin Pouch with the MOLLE moved to fit my belt - outer pocket holds the phone, inner pocket holds medical supplies and some tools. Laugh, but it's come in handy more than once.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I hate shit on my belt outside of a holster. When I do pocket carry, it goes in my right front pocket by itself. I carry my minimialist wallet, house and truck key, light, and phone in my front left. Folder either goes outboard in the right back pocket or in the front right if it's big enough.

Having small form factor solutions for your other EDC stuff helps.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#21]
New production old model lcp's are right around 200 at the moment. I carry a p32 in my back right pocket in a pocket holster. No need to shuffle stuff around in your front pocket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top