Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2023 9:46:26 PM EDT
I broke out my last bit of UMC 9mm from 05'  to run in my new RIA 1911 today. It was so weak it wouldn't cycle properly. I ran Federal Syntec, Blazer aluminum, and Wolf with zero issues.
I bought this ammo years ago before Remington golden bullets taught me my lesson. I have about 100 rds left and then I'm done for good.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
not that I avoid them, just rarely buy them
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 6:53:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Back in the 80's we didn't buy Winchester ammo.

Remington ammo functioned great and gave great accuracy in the deer rifles and handguns.

About 5 years ago I bought a some FNS .40's.  I tried Remington, Federal, Winchester and my CZ pistol's favorite reloads.  Bullet weights from 135 grain to 180 grain.  Lead, coated lead, FMJ, hollow points.

The Remington was lousy.  Functioned.  Worst groups of all the ammo I tried.  Winchester turned out the best groups and functioned 100% as well.

Big turn around from 40 years ago.  

If I have to buy factory ammo these days, it's usually Winchester.  Second place in factory ammo goes to Speer/CCI.

Don't know what happened, but Remington slid down a hill they may not be able to climb back up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I have no idea about the "new" Remington, maybe exactly the same or maybe totally different.

Rem. 40SW 180gr FMJ is my favorite in 40. Most accurate and reliable.

Rem. 9mm 115gr FMJ was a good load. It was accurate and on the light side.

No idea about other calibers, old .vs new etc. I would try Rem. if the price was right but usually my sure-bet ammo has been cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought Federal owns Remington now. Should be good to go in that case.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#5]
The last Remington 9mm I shot was made around four years ago. Bought it in the "Great Walmart Ammunition Purge" in December of 2019. It was on the weaker side, but 100% reliable and accurate enough for target practice. I shot a lot of Remington .223, .30-30, and 12 GA. over the years as well. Always 100% reliable and affordable.

The only big-name ammunition manufacturer I've had quality problems with is Winchester. After the crap 5.56 I got in 2019 I won't buy any more. The guys at the local indoor range recently told me the bulk-pack Winchester 9mm is the worst quality ammunition they see people using.

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven’t bought much in the way of new production ammo in centerfire in the last 4 years, but my assessment of domestic ammo quality is:

CCI/Speer (best)
Federal ( a slight notch down )

Several notches down:
Winchester/Remington ties for last in quality

In rimfire Winchester and Remington quality is so bad I will only shoot it if I get it for free.

With all major domestic ammo companies except Winchester all now under the same corporate umbrella ( vista or whatever the name is now)  we would like to think that would help low end Remington get better, but unfortunately from what I see it has the opposite effect- other products are going down in quality.

While I know a lot of us here, myself included would prefer to buy American, usually for general use range ammo, I am buying things like S&B, Privi,magtech,fiocchi etc.

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I do its the worst in quality.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Only their .22LR stuff.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only their .22LR stuff.
View Quote

Yeah the Remington Lightning Bucket O Bullets was lousy and I won’t buy it now that I’m grown and don’t have too.  The old yellow box Remington stuff was hit or miss, but the green box Remington was always good to go in my experience.  Yeah, I’ll buy it again now that they are back in business.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
In my years of shooting.  I used to like the 100ct plastic boxes of Golden bullets.  They were not too banged up.  Then I bought 500+ count box.  That was awful.
Never really shot much Remington handgun ammo ever.  Some 44 Magnum back in the day of the 20 ct butter stick boxes they used to have.  Nothing else.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought like 7k golden bullets in 2019 for maybe 3cents shipped when Midway was blowing them out. good for kids bolt actions

i recently bought a case of green box UMC 9mm and /knocks on wood has been solid in multiple glocks, scorpion and shadow 2
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the only Remington I have bought was 30/30 and 12 ga before the bankruptcy.
No problem with it but it's not cheap bulk stuff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Why would I avoid Remington ammo?  Has Remington done something wrong so that there is now a move on to "cancel" Remington?  I'm generally not big on cancel culture unless they have done something extremely egregious.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why would I avoid Remington ammo?  Has Remington done something wrong so that there is now a move on to "cancel" Remington?  I'm generally not big on cancel culture unless they have done something extremely egregious.
View Quote

I agree with this I haven’t had any issues with Remington that would cause me to avoid it. Seems to be the only .30-30 I can find locally and I really like their .38 special LSWCHP not sure if they have changed it recently but it was my favorite LSWCHP load soft enough to expand but still could penetrate. Only ammo I really tend to avoid is remanufactured ammo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I avoided old Remington. I’ve been shooting the white & green box 115 grain  9mm and have been pretty happy with it.  The old Remington ammo seemed anemic in my 9mm AR rifles but the new Remington UMC seems to be better/hotter than the old. I don’t have a chrono so it’s anecdotal. But it seems better and I might try some golden .22 bullets next.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#16]
For social purposes I only buy HSTs or Gold Dots. For fmj ammo I don't care. I buy what's cheapest and it's never remington. Their rifle ammo is stupidly overpriced and stuck in the past. I'm not paying $30 for a box of Core-lokt when I can get better performing rifle ammo for the same price or similar. Their match ammo is usually more expensive than other brands

Conclusion: I don't avoid Remington intentionally. They avoid my wallet by being outclassed and outpriced.

ETA: the exception to this is 22lr. For some reason where I live Remington 22lr is the most available and frequently cheapest so I have plenty of that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Several years ago I noticed Remington ammo seemed to get the guns more dirty than other brands, at least in 9mm and .45 ACP. I'll buy it if it is dirt cheap, but definitely don't go out of my way to buy it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Not my first choice, especially their 22 ammo but I'll shoot whatever is cheap and available
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 7:30:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I will still buy it but avoid there 22 ammo , and I don`t buy much of the 9 mm stuff .
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

A big conglomerate known as vista outdoors owns all the major domestic brands except Winchester.

The hope ( jury is still out) is that with Remington absorbed by vista that they may improve quality.

While the centerfire stuff never gave me any problems ( any typical range practice ammo  from any maker seems to be fine )

Remingtons rimfire quality ( along with Winchester) has been dismal for decades.

I wouldn’t hold out hope, as it seems vista has managed to decrease the quality of the usually very good CCI rimfire ( with some lots actually produced in the federal factory) with a lot of rimfire fans searching out and avoiding the CCI branded ammo made by federal.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Gave it up about 15yrs ago. Had a box of 115gr that was very weak. Called them to complain and they said I should throw it away and they'd send me a coupon for $20 off my next Remington ammo purchase .

I pulled the projectiles, dumped the powder and reloaded them. It was the last Remington ammunition I bought aside from some .270 that has been fine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll pass on Remington 9mm and .22.  The 9mm is generally functional but dirty, and .22 Thunderbolt is bottom tier .22 ammo IMO.

I will buy Remington .44 Magnum ammo though.  It isn't the prettiest ammo (the brass just looks grungy) but it's a lighter bullet loaded pretty hot so it makes for a relatively flat shooting round with a comically strong kick/report.  Not so much fun out of a revolver, but my lever rifle loves it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I won't touch their rimfire ammo.  Even their "match" .22s are awful.

I love their shotgun ammo for clays.  The best promo loads available, and the hulls are good for reloads.

Rifle and pistol ammo is mediocre but I will buy if the price is right.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Never had a problem with Remington ammo. Currently have some in .40 S&W and it's GTG.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#26]
If it's a good deal I will pick up some of their ammo for plinking. Last case I bought was a really good deal on .45scp just before covid. Shoots better than Winchester in my opinon.

Years ago during the great Obama ammo runs I was buying cases of Remington 9mm from Dicks for 5.69 a box while everyone else in town was 8.99 or more. Shot fine then too.

Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't go out of the way to avoid it, but I have not seen it anywhere I shop for ammo either.  I got some 230gr .45acp in a trade a few years ago.  It all went bang, was not dirty.

Recently been buying/shooting Norma.  Good ammo for the money.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I've noticed the Remington brass .38 Spl seems thin.  When reloading .38's, I couldn't crimp it enough to hold the bullet tightly.

Over ten years ago, I noticed UMC 9mm seemed weak.  Conducting handgun permit classes, new pistols using UMC ammo seemed to have more stovepipe malfunctions.  More recent ammo seems to work fine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I've always thought that Remington ammo was bottom of the barrel.  Even before Freedom group and whatever they are now...
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
CCI/Speer (best)
Federal ( a slight notch down )

Several notches down:
Winchester/Remington ties for last in quality
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#31]
I am seriously old . So old I can remember when Remington golden 22lr was considered cream of the crop both in reliability and accuracy. Common advise was "try that gun with rem golden , it will run in anything"

I reached the point 6 or 8 years ago where I wouldn't buy any green and white box stuff (umc) and if some fool gave me rem golden I would just leave it out on the bench at my club range.
You can only burn thru so much 22 ammo in revolvers and lever guns and it wasn't much good in them .

I can't imagine things got much better as Remington started to go bankrupt . I was hearing some horror stories of the last of the workers trying to put ammo together from leftover odds and ends laying around in the ammo plant.

When all the Remington divisions were sold off during bankruptcy I am not sure who wound up with the ammo end of things and if Remington branded ammo is still a thing                                .

I am at the age where I am trying to burn through the sizeable pile of components I have stored so I don't buy much factory ammo.

Common sense course of action with most any ammo is buy a small amount , test it and then decide if is worth buying a bunch of the same stuff because of decent accuracy/cost .

Be very cautious of buying large lots of something without testing .
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
When all the Remington divisions were sold off during bankruptcy I am not sure who wound up with the ammo end of things and if Remington branded ammo is still a thing
View Quote

Remington (the ammunition company) is still a thing and is now owned by Vista Outdoor, owner of Federal, CCI, Speer, & Alliant Powder.

The current Remington website is much improved over the old one and is now functionally identical to Federal's web site.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Remington ammunition, Federal, CCI, Speer, Estate, Hevi-Shot, are all owned by the same company, Vista Outdoors.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I do find myself avoiding Remington ammo, and for absolutely no logical reason. It’s almost a sub conscience thing
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Conclusion: I don't avoid Remington intentionally. They avoid my wallet by being outclassed and outpriced.
View Quote

That’s how it always is for me too. I bought a few hundred rounds for a class years ago, since it was what the shop had on display when I walked in, and I knew nothing about different ammo brands at the time. Now when I see it at places like Academy, it’s always several dollars more per box than Blazer (my preferred affordable range ammo), Federal, Winchester, or Magtech. There’s just no incentive for me to spend more on it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I picked up two boxes of 115gr.fmj Remington Range ammo a while back because they were on sale for $11 a box.  I figured I'd see how they worked now a days as it's been ages since I shot any of their bottom feeder line.

I have to admit to being surprised.  No failures of any kind, no bad looking rounds, it shot as accurately as any other range fodder I've used, and it's subjective recoil told me they were not watered down powder puff loads. They were dirtier than my usual choices, however not as bad as Winchester's range garbage. If they were always discounted like this I'd use them again, but if they were at the same price point of S&B or the Norma Range and Training I'd leave them on the shelf.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Only their .22LR stuff.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Remington HTP line has good performance, will buy those. The other JHP, rather not.
Cheap Remington FMJ maybe, if I cannot buy Federal or Speer FMJ for not much more.

Link Posted: 10/18/2023 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Like the plague
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I stopped buying it because it is weak. The green and white box stuff and the UMC stuff. It barely runs some guns.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Been a couple decades since I bought any Remington ammo.

Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Remington is.... okay.  But that's about it.

Worst in my opinion -- PMC Bronze.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I’ve had good luck with the recent Remington Umc 50gr 22-250 I’ve bought.  Very accurate.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Their rimfire I absolutely avoid. I cringe every time I think of shooting any Remington 22lr ammunition produced in the last 25 years. I am feeling ill just writing about it.

Their centerfire target ammo, I'll buy it if the price is right. It usually isn't. There are other US made brand names out there that work just as well and cost less. That goes for pistol and shotgun.

UMC pistol ammo is dirty but goes bang. As I write this, Remington's website advertises 9mm UMC at two times the CPR as other online sources. Remington does give you a free cleaning mat though. Oh the irony.

For self defense, I used to use Golden Sabers as carry ammo. I can't remember the last time I saw Golden Sabers on a store shelf. HST is more available and better rated.

I don't hunt enough to form an opinion on those products.

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Only their .22LR stuff.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#47]
It must not be very popular in my AO. I rarely see it when I do see it it I'd usually .22lr. That I avoid.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I have an Advantage Arms .22lr conversion kit for my Glock and it eats the Remington Golden Bullet like candy.  My 10/22 on the other hand, can't stand them.  Perhaps it depends on the weapon?
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#49]
There is no Remington (RIP) anymore.  Remington ammo is now owned by Vista Outdoors.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#50]
How’s Winchester and Hornady? I feel hornady is a bit overpriced. Haven’t had problems with Winchester or rem unless I’m not understanding.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top