Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 7/26/2021 6:28:22 PM EDT
Where are the Combat Units at? Anyone have bad impressions of them? I haven't seen one for sale for awhile.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 7:46:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DasRonin] [#1]
NVM
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got one and love it.  Everything else I looked at would have needed one or two things changed or swapped out.  It's all personal preference but it checked all the boxes and runs great.  Didn't even really need any break-in.  It just works.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SchizoPathica:
I've got one and love it.  Everything else I looked at would have needed one or two things changed or swapped out.  It's all personal preference but it checked all the boxes and runs great.  Didn't even really need any break-in.  It just works.
View Quote

How tight is the frame to slide fit? Several years back I handled one at the NRA show and that is part didn't impress but everything else is what I want.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Frame to slide fit isn't as tight as my buddy's Dan Wesson but not bad.  Just a hint of wobble which probably contributed to not needing to be broken in much.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Odd name for a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Colt Combat Unit

For those who also didn't think it was a thing.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an early rail guncombat unit with the 3 hole trigger and I love it. I use it in uspsa and 3gun heavy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an early CCU rail gun, got it right after they were first introduced...I love it very much, I just wish there were more holsters available for it. Even the gun bucket holsters for guns with lights on them, most of them don't fit due to the size of the Colt's rail...most of those holsters are designed around Springfield-type rails and not the lower Colt rails.

The only real criticism I have of it, is I wish it was dehorned from the factory. Swapping the thumb safety with a Wilson Bulletproof helped a lot, but a lot of the edges are still super sharp.

If I found myself in need of another railed 1911, I wouldn't hesitate to pick another one up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Dammit... I kinda want one of those now!  

Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#10]
The Blackhawk T series will fit it but not with a light. I emailed them to see if they’ll produce a light bearing holster soon
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I was going to sell mine but I'm torn. I really like it but was going to use the money for a 9mm
suppressor and another G17.

The CCU is really cool but hard to carry concealed due to lack of decent holsters.
It's got all the things you would want in a modern 1911.

I hate selling guns I actually like just so I can get new stuff.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By EMSflyer:
I was going to sell mine but I'm torn. I really like it but was going to use the money for a 9mm

The CCU is really cool but hard to carry concealed due to lack of decent holsters.

View Quote

Assuming you have the rail? Just get a custom holster made and be done with it. You have to go well north of 2k to get something similar IMO

My only grip with mine is the trigger could be better.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a off brand kydex IWB holster that accepts my Surefire light but I don't
care for it because the belt clip is "cheesy".

I should just probably get a Safari Land belt holster
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Not a good looking quality made pistol

Definitely not accurate

I have been looking for a  O1080CCU for years and never found one yet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2023 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:

Assuming you have the rail? Just get a custom holster made and be done with it. You have to go well north of 2k to get something similar IMO

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:
Originally Posted By EMSflyer:

Yeah the trigger isn't great on mine either.

Still working on that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:06:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#16]
Is there a reason Colt isn't making these in larger quantities? It seems like they make a batch of 7 once every couple years.

I'm exaggering of course, but I think I'm just confused as to why they don't make a lot of these?

They seem to sell out within hours of being in stock and then months and (lately) years go by and nothing...

I actually don't remember the last time I saw one in stock anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 8:23:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I always wanted to get a CCU pistol to go with my CCU AR and recreate this poster...

But the CCU's have gotten kind of stupid price wise
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:
Is there a reason Colt isn't making these in larger quantities? It seems like they make a batch of 7 once every couple years.

I'm exaggering of course, but I think I'm just confused as to why they don't make a lot of these?

They seem to sell out within hours of being in stock and then months and (lately) years go by and nothing...

View Quote

Colt has always been an odd duck in regards to production. For a long time people were blaming limited production based on the company focus on military contracts for long guns, but I don’t think that is a factor these days. With them being purchased by CZ I am sure they are analyzing the market very carefully to determine what to make that will sell and maximize profit.

They seem To be focusing on a revolver resurgence right now and selling pythons and other snake guns briskly. I imagine once the demand and profitability of the revolver line slows down they will shift gears back to 1911’s

It is also possible CZ sees the 1911 line as a competition to the CZ 75 based single actions and doesn’t want to cut into that sales potential either, who knows ?

With a lot of things colt it does appear the market will have a halethy supply of something for a brief period, then zip for a couple years
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#19]
After shooting it more the trigger on mine seems better.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By captain127:

Colt has always been an odd duck in regards to production. For a long time people were blaming limited production based on the company focus on military contracts for long guns, but I don't think that is a factor these days. With them being purchased by CZ I am sure they are analyzing the market very carefully to determine what to make that will sell and maximize profit.

They seem To be focusing on a revolver resurgence right now and selling pythons and other snake guns briskly. I imagine once the demand and profitability of the revolver line slows down they will shift gears back to 1911's

It is also possible CZ sees the 1911 line as a competition to the CZ 75 based single actions and doesn't want to cut into that sales potential either, who knows ?

With a lot of things colt it does appear the market will have a halethy supply of something for a brief period, then zip for a couple years
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

Colt has always been an odd duck in regards to production. For a long time people were blaming limited production based on the company focus on military contracts for long guns, but I don't think that is a factor these days. With them being purchased by CZ I am sure they are analyzing the market very carefully to determine what to make that will sell and maximize profit.

They seem To be focusing on a revolver resurgence right now and selling pythons and other snake guns briskly. I imagine once the demand and profitability of the revolver line slows down they will shift gears back to 1911's

It is also possible CZ sees the 1911 line as a competition to the CZ 75 based single actions and doesn't want to cut into that sales potential either, who knows ?

Yeah it's sort of strange - the last time I checked, demand is huge for 1911 Combat Units and M45A1s.

Why they aren't focusing more on those I don't understand...
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Colt has always been an odd duck in regards to production. For a long time people were blaming limited production based on the company focus on military contracts for long guns, but I don’t think that is a factor these days. With them being purchased by CZ I am sure they are analyzing the market very carefully to determine what to make that will sell and maximize profit.

They seem To be focusing on a revolver resurgence right now and selling pythons and other snake guns briskly. I imagine once the demand and profitability of the revolver line slows down they will shift gears back to 1911’s

It is also possible CZ sees the 1911 line as a competition to the CZ 75 based single actions and doesn’t want to cut into that sales potential either, who knows ?

With a lot of things colt it does appear the market will have a healthy supply of something for a brief period, then zip for a couple years
View Quote

CZ also owns Dan Wesson, I'm not sure how they perceive DW and Colt affecting each other's sales. My observation of Colt is that there is always a plentiful supply of their AR's, their revolvers become plentiful at about $100 under MSRP 2 years after they are first introduced, and they only do runs of each 1911 model every 3 or so years.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Wish I would have sprung for one a few years back, always thought a 9MM would be cool.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I like mine. I was able to find a grey surefire too.
KT mech for holster
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By mississippiflush:
I like mine. I was able to find a grey surefire too.
KT mech for holster
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/264774/20240129_224417_jpg-3152597.JPG
View Quote

That's a nice looking gun
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top