Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 1/7/2023 12:16:58 PM EDT
I want to buy an old Colt 1903 Hammerless in 32 acp but dont know what to look for aside from the obvious wear/ rust.  Are there any model variations aside from finish?  Any years better than others?  Appreciate the help. This will be a shooter.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
What you want it for? Shooting? To collect it?

Later years will likely have better steel and heat treating, original finish makes a huge difference in price. Check barrel well for corrosion, you can't find replacements.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Later years will likely have better steel and heat treating, original finish makes a huge difference in price. Check barrel well for corrosion, you can't find replacements.
View Quote

Colt 1903 .32 ACP barrel
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By erazor55:

Colt 1903 .32 ACP barrel
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Colt 1903 .32 ACP barrel

Dang, I'm impressed, duly noted. I'll have to keep them in mind, I'll occasionally go out and pop a few rounds out of mine.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Colt 1903 .32 ACP barrel
View Quote

I appreciate the link above. I just won a 1903 type 1 on GB (no pictures of barrel) so if it ends up needing a barrel I'll know where to go .

Thanks

Sarge
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Collectors identify four types.  Differences are subtle.  As a rule early guns are more desirable but ultimately condition, accessories etc determine value.  USGI guns are top of the heap but rare.  Finish tends to be worn on most of these.  The hard rubber grips don’t age well and are often chipped.  Check the bore, corrosive ammo was the rule back then. The quintessential Humphrey Bogart pistol.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a type III with rough finish and sent it to Fords in Florida. I requested the Fords Finish. It is almost identical to their High polish finish but less expensive. The end result was fantastic. Accuracy with both is pretty good at 20 feet. The barrels are far from looking new.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:05:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: owlless] [#7]
I inherited a decent type III and a beater Type I 1905 vintage.  I was looking for a barrel to just shoot it and scored a 1905 kit all parts less frame from Everygunpart.

My 1903 Thread
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By hkusp:
I bought a type III with rough finish and sent it to Fords in Florida. I requested the Fords Finish. It is almost identical to their High polish finish but less expensive. The end result was fantastic. Accuracy with both is pretty good at 20 feet. The barrels are far from looking new.

https://i.postimg.cc/ZnSP5Wmj/Colt-Fords-Finish.jpg
View Quote

Do you mind if I ask what that costs? I recently inherited one that my Grandfather bought to take to WW2. He got rejected by the induction center because he was a farmer so he passed the pistol off to hos brother in law who had just graduated from medical school and was headed to the south pacific as a navy doctor. The gun is brown with he plastic grips head together with duct tape from the cousin who gave it to me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:53:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HellifIknow] [#9]
The Achilles heel on these is the safety lever.
The lever and the cross pin are press fitted together.  This joint loosens.
Once it does the safety lever flops during firing causing problems.
Finding a CORRECT replacement is damn near unpossible. The chinesium parts are garbage.
I have resorted to having the lever welded to the crosspin. It works but looks like crap. Wrecks collectibility too.
Very carefully examine a potential purchase close at the safety. If you can see the circular pin joint it means the joint is working loose.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:20:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hkusp] [#10]
Cost was $395. Ford's usually offers 15% off during December. You can buy replacement grips on MidwayUSA.

Colt 1903 Reblueing

@Dvldog
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top