Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2023 10:14:27 PM EDT
https://www.cci-ammunition.com/this_is_cci/new_products/

Just saw this  - it looks like CCI will soon be offering a new 22 LR round similar to Federal Punch, optimized for shorter handgun barrels.  It's advertised as a jacketed hollow point, compared to Federal's solid/flat point defensive round.  

I'd be interested in seeing how the two rounds compare in a ballistic test - not that this caliber would be a first choice for defense.

Protection should always be personal. Built for how you carry. Crafted for how you defend. Sized to match any shooter. New CCI Uppercut answers that call with power and performance traditional 22 Long Rifle ammunition has never been able to deliver. The difference lies in its exclusive 32-grain projectile. Unlike the simple lead round nose or copper-plated hollow points typical of most rimfire ammunition, Uppercut’s jacketed hollow point bullet features nose skiving that initiates full and reliable expansion through 2.5- to 4-inch handgun barrels, while retaining the weight needed to hit critical penetration depths. Plus, the unwaxed bullet reduces fouling and improves feeding in all conditions.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]
If I needed 22LR for SD I'd just stick with Velocitors.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
View Quote

This....its been devastating on small game...accurate too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Velocitors have noticeable report and recoil in everything I have shot them in. They are mean as fuck, not that I plan on using .22 but that’s what I would pick if I had to
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 10:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Chris_1522:
Yeah I really don't get the concept of super light bullets for SD with .22LR.

I'd think you'd be better off with taking a big old heavy 50 grain bullet or something and pushing it as hard as you can.
View Quote

This.

Heavier bullet = more momentum & penetration, which is what you want with a smaller caliber.  And, accuracy for bullet placement.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:38:10 AM EDT
[#6]
What twist barrel would be needed for a 50gr bullet 1/12 or 1/14? Most .22lr are 1/16. Kinda surprised at the low velocity they are showing, but a 2" barrel that might be reasonable. Rem 700 22/250 uses 1/14 but pushes the 50gr bullet 4 times as fast.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#7]
anyone seen these in stores
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I have witnessed short barrel 22 gel testing. Just like in 38 snubs, lightweight 22’s HP’s either don’t expand, don’t adequately penetrate or both.

The best performing short barrel load tested was velocitors

Actually meets FBI penetration standards consistently.

I have a couple “ walk to the mailbox” 22’s ( a 2” S&W 34 and a ruger LCPII) and that is what I load in both of them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I picked up several different types of CCI from them direct during the scamdemic, with Velocitors being one of them. Imagine my surprise when I had 3 failures to fire out of a box of 50. After that, I wouldn’t count it as the reliable .22 round that everyone thinks of it as. I called CCI. They wanted the lot number but didn’t address it beyond that. With that said, CCI Standard is my absolute favorite .22 ammo on the market.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Is that a nickel plated 22 casing?
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I always find it interesting that CCI comes out with all these "specialty" types of 22 ammo, and half the time I could never find them in stock even if I wanted some.

I'm still on the hunt for that CCI subsonic ammo that is designed for semi-auto cycling. Can never find any of that either.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Nate19:

I picked up several different types of CCI from them direct during the scamdemic, with Velocitors being one of them. Imagine my surprise when I had 3 failures to fire out of a box of 50. After that, I wouldn’t count it as the reliable .22 round that everyone thinks of it as. I called CCI. They wanted the lot number but didn’t address it beyond that. With that said, CCI Standard is my absolute favorite .22 ammo on the market.
View Quote

Last summer I came across a 100 round box of CCI MiniMags with three failure to fire rounds.  I looked at them later and none had any primer in them.  I'm not sure when I bought the ammo cause I just buy some whenever and don't keep batches separate.

In any case, I don't think I'll bother with "defense" .22LR until somebody comes out with a round so effective they call it "Crotch Kick".

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Mav3rick:
I always find it interesting that CCI comes out with all these "specialty" types of 22 ammo, and half the time I could never find them in stock even if I wanted some.

I'm still on the hunt for that CCI subsonic ammo that is designed for semi-auto cycling. Can never find any of that either.
View Quote

CCI standard cycles my SBR 12.5" 10/22 with a suppressor, 22/45 with suppressor, SR22 with suppressor.

Last week I shot a 1 gal milk jug of water with a 16" bolt gun and a Velocitor to see if it would pop or just leak. It popped, not like centerfire but it did pop.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Mav3rick:

View Quote

Cci quiet semi auto? It’s been coming back in stock
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By evnash:

Cci quiet semi auto? It’s been coming back in stock
View Quote

yeah maybe that was it. I haven't looked in a long time to be honest.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#17]
It looks like Uppercut is now available from the CCI website.  I ordered a box along with some Velocitors and a few other things.

Maybe when it gets warmer later in the year, I can make up some ballistic gel and do a side-by-side comparison.

Looks like 22 plinkster made a video about Uppercut as well.  Haven't had the chance to watch it yet but I'll link it below:

CCI UPPERCUT - THE BEST 22LR SELF-DEFENSE AMMO EVER MADE?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:59:05 AM EDT
[#19]
The two factors that really matter to me when rating rimfire ammo are (1) reliability and (2) accuracy.  I've had good luck with CCI products in the past, so I'll probably pick up a few boxes of Uppercut when it shows up in stores.  I don't carry .22lr for self-defense purposes but I'm not opposed to having some SD ammo on-hand just in case.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#20]
The most entertaining .22 LR comparison I've seen.  Punch vs Uppercut:

The THRILLA in MANILA!... NEW CCI Uppercut vs Federal Punch! .22lr Self Defense AMMO Test!

TLDR:  Uppercut lacks penetration.

Ruger LCP & both these rounds may not be a good combination.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#21]
YouTube videos show the stinger is smoking the uppercut round in velocity and penetration.
Maybe the jacket has so much additional friction it is causing the low velocities?
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#22]
youtube drama between 22plinkster and tools & target. latest video shows uppercut failing every test. 22pinkster commented and said T&T was using the wrong type of gel. not sure who to believe
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By evnash:
youtube drama between 22plinkster and tools & target. latest video shows uppercut failing every test. 22pinkster commented and said T&T was using the wrong type of gel. not sure who to believe
View Quote

Tools & Target is using clear ballistics gel, which is what nearly every YouTube channel uses, as it's clear, so easy to see bullet channel & film w/ high speed, and it's room temperature.  A handful of channels and testers use calibrated organic ballistics gel, the dark yellow translucent stuff, it has to be kept at a precise temperature in a narrow range & is overall a real pain in the ass to deal w/.  The FBI standards are based on testing in calibrated organic gel, but generally, we see deeper penetration by a given load in clear gel - so 12" in clear gel isn't necessarily meeting the FBI standard, you're really wanting at least 14-16" in clear gel, and find a calibrated organic gel test that goes at least 12".

Uppercut isn't even going 12" in clear gel, that's not a good sign.  Fine on varmints, but on human miscreants, you want Punch or any number of high speed 40 grn .22 LR if that's the only caliber pistol you have.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#24]
What is funny is that these new “short barreled handgun” rounds continue to get beat by the “rifle” centric Stinger in penetration and velocity from short barreled handguns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top