Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2024 10:46:41 AM EDT
I recently bought a vintage model 37 and would like to try a bobbed hammer but don’t want to modify the original. Could I conceivably have the factory hammer swapped out with an internal one from a centennial model?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I've no idea about swapping hammers, but IIRC, "they" used to make hammer shrouds for these. Perhaps one could be sourced, thus keeping the original gun intact.  I had one of the Airweight shrouded ones back in the '90s and it was nice until the frame cracked.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I took a spare hammer I had, verified that it fit, and invoked the patron demon of Wecsog, who is best known as Dremel.  It was a fairly simple procedure to bob the hammer, and I have the original to go back to if wanted.
Messes it up for some holsters, but is great for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Did they ever offer a Centennial hammer with a firing pin attached?  I know all the recent ones have an internal FP, so it won't work.  Just go to ebay and find your hammer.  Then as mentioned, Dremel off the spur & contour as needed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#4]
DON'T.

I'm morally opposed to bobbing hammers. God put them there for a reason, quit performing reassignment surgery and removing the SA from your DA/SA wheelies...

If you are still curious as to what it's like to be limited to DAO, just buy one of these: Leo Combat Pocket Safe

No permanent trans-surgery required.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Hammers and triggers are "almost" drop in. Odds are in your favor that whatever you buy will fit. Get one on eBay, install and verify it works, and then bob it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
A bodyguard hammer is another option. They still have a spur but, aren't undercut as much. Less prone to snags ad should drop right in
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:18:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#7]
Just buy a S&W factory hammer from Jack First.  S&W hammers are usually pretty much drop in in "most " cases.
Some are semi-bobbed that can still be cocked single action but don't have the full hammer spur.
They also have stainless hammers .......

https://jackfirstinc.com/product-category/smith-wesson/smith-wesson-revolvers/smith-wesson-early-j-frame/page/2/
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:48:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SiVisPacem] [#8]
There's nothing wrong with a bobbed hammer J-frame.

Both of these were police trade-in guns. The 37 did start out with a 2" barrel, but I swapped in the 3".

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:37:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KillerBD:
DON'T.

I'm morally opposed to bobbing hammers. God put them there for a reason, quit performing reassignment surgery and removing the SA from your DA/SA wheelies...

If you are still curious as to what it's like to be limited to DAO, just buy one of these: Leo Combat Pocket Safe

View Quote
Neener.

However, this was a spare hammer - the original is still intact and so is the SA notch. However, this works GREAT just like this.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dump1567:
Did they ever offer a Centennial hammer with a firing pin attached?  I know all the recent ones have an internal FP, so it won't work.  Just go to ebay and find your hammer.  Then as mentioned, Dremel off the spur & contour as needed.
View Quote

Before going to the frame mounted firing pin design all smith revolver hammers ( except 22’s) had an attached firing pin. Original centennial design started in the mid 50’s, and was discontinued in the early 70’s, and when reintroduced in the 1990’s I think all had frame mounted pins.

Most get lucky with drop in fit of a spare hammer, but fitting one right if it doesn’t drop in isn’t always easy.

With practice drawing a hammer gun from a pocket is easy, I have done it thousands of times . Index through small finger grips gun, thumb on top of hammer to prevent snag and completes grip once hammer clears pocket.

Nice classic
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By KillerBD:
DON'T.

View Quote

I am very much convinced that we all can do what we want with our own guns, without needing somebody else's opinion and moral imposed on us. While the only J-frame I currently own is an old Bodyguard, I have installed a spurless hammer in my S&W 65 that I had shot a lot at falling plates. DAO did not limit my performance in any way. Neither in accuracy, nor in speed and the timer does not lie.

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
Just buy a S&W factory hammer from Jack First.  S&W hammers are usually pretty much drop in in "most " cases.
Some are semi-bobbed that can still be cocked single action but don't have the full hammer spur.
They also have stainless hammers .......

https://jackfirstinc.com/product-category/smith-wesson/smith-wesson-revolvers/smith-wesson-early-j-frame/page/2/
View Quote

That place is wildly expensive, I got a correct spare hammer for my 60 no dash off eBay for $25 a couple months ago.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#13]
You can do whatever you want.  I’ve just never seen an issue with a non bobbed hammer on a J frame.  It’s made out to be some sort of major snag hazard, but it’s just not.  

I suspect bobbed hammers have historically had two different origins:

- the hammer is worn and now subject to push off, and bobbing the hammer is the cheap and easy fix; or

- someone wants a “custom” handgun and 5ongs bobbing the hammer will make it different and there for cool.

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I have couple of J and K frame size Bianchi Lightning Grip for use with revolvers with hammer spur.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I was debating this, and then my new to me model 36 launched the hammer spur into low earth orbit during dry fire. Literally an hour before the replacement i was planning to bob arrived, lol. I need to clean it up a little before I blue it, but it is snag free and feels lighter.

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top