Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2024 7:57:00 PM EDT
Which do you shoot the most of through your handguns?

Is HV ammo a lot harder on the pistol?
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I use mostly bulk Federal standard velocity and CCI Minimags, which are about 100fps more than standard. If you use hypervelocity ammo in a gun that is set up for standard it will take more of a beating. Lots of older .22 autos say to only use standard velocity in them. These can definitely be damaged by high velocity ammo
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:21:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#2]
Older High Standard semi autos (model B, D, HDM) use SV ammo to prevent slide stop breakage. Every thing else  (Ruger, Taurus) gets HV.

Probably Colt Woodsman better with SV also.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:04:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: captain127] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JohnRippert:
I use mostly bulk Federal standard velocity and CCI Minimags, which are about 100fps more than standard. If you use hypervelocity ammo in a gun that is set up for standard it will take more of a beating. Lots of older .22 autos say to only use standard velocity in them. These can definitely be damaged by high velocity ammo
View Quote

Bulk anything is not standard velocity. All the common Walmart bulk stuff is high velocity.

Older guns in some cases were optimized for use with standard velocity which was more mainstream in the 40’s 50’s and 60’s. With rare exception ( like the high standards mentioned) most guns will run either just fine.

It takes a very long time to wear out a 22 ( one I did wear out was a high standard built in the 50’s and bough used by me in the 80’s after which I ran a realistically estimated quarter million rounds through before it truly wore out)

In any reasonably modern ( again rare exceptions but let’s say anything made from the mid 60’s onward) gun you are not going to wear it out faster with the more commonly available high velocity ammo as opposed to standard, and if you do it is going to take tens of thousands of rounds to do it.

Simply something not to have concern over.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:07:45 AM EDT
[#4]
And to the question

In my older classics ( the guns I enjoy owning and shooting most) I generally use standard velocity ammo.
In my more modern production guns ( 1970’s onward high velocity
Match guns ( both rifles and pistols ) see standard velocity only. Not because I am concerned with excessive wear but because in almost every case, standard velocity ammo is more accurate
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I shoot suppressed 100% of the time and the barrel length determines which type of ammo I use.  Barrels 4.5” and less get HV and anything longer gets SV or subsonic ammo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#6]
SV since I run cans.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
SV since I run cans.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By weapons_free:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By weapons_free:
SV since I run cans.

Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot mostly High Velocity in my 22 LR handguns and rifles.   The one exception is my Savage Mark II bull barrel.  The Savage really shoots CCI standard velocity 40 grain lead accurately.   The last few years I’ve been shooting mostly Aguila Super Extra High Velocity 40 grain plated RN or 38 grain plated HP.

In years past I shot a lot of Federal 36 grain plated HP bulk in Champion 500 or Walmart 550 boxes.   The quality control got so bad I quit buying Federal rimfire 22 LR ammo.   The last Winchester and Remington rimfire ammo I bought was terrible so I quit buying it years ago.   Today I buy CCI or Aguila rimfire.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#10]
SV since I run cans.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was shooting a ton of .22lr through a Kimber conversion to practice for USPSA Single Stack, I bought as much Federal Auto Match as I could find.  Then something changed and that ammo became completely unreliable in my conversion kit.  I switched to CCI Blazer and have used that ever since.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 4:53:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 59Bassman] [#12]
Dupe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top