Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2023 6:23:36 PM EDT
About 5-6yrs ago I was slowly filling an ammo can with the 147gr flat point 9mm by American Eagle, manufacturer's code AE9FP, that I found from a local shop for cheap whenever they'd get a few boxes in stock. It looked exactly like the first photo below both box-wise and cartridge-wise. The local shop stopped stocking it and I forgot about the ammo can until now. I went online to find more of it but it seems that the loading might have changed since 5-6yrs ago even though the manufacturers code remains the same. The box is different (no big deal) but the round also appears different as it seems to now lack the cannelure around the middle of the casing. Most everything I'm finding now for AE9FP appears like the second photo below.

Has anything else changed as far as anyone knows? I'm thinking it's not a big deal to finish off filling up the ammo can with the latest iteration of AE9FP, but I don't want to loose-mix different loadings.

Link Posted: 12/21/2023 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have only ever shot the same version as you, in the top picture.

I think Federal decided to make it into a training analog for their HST duty loads, bumped up the velocity. The older ammo was very soft shooting but I have never shot the newer stuff to compare.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have only ever shot the same version as you, in the top picture.

I think Federal decided to make it into a training analog for their HST duty loads, bumped up the velocity. The older ammo was very soft shooting but I have never shot the newer stuff to compare.
View Quote

Yea I’ve done more research since my post and it would seem the changeover was in late 2018/early 2019. They kept the same product code but the rounds differed in many respects, apparently. And people found that they shot differently too.

I’ve you’re sitting on any of the old stuff and would ever like to sell feel free to PM, I need 400rds to finish off my .30cal ammo can :)
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep. Unannounced rolling product change. I prefer the old version with the wider nose
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The second looks like it has a sharper nose on the bullet, which is good
View Quote

The new version is a smaller “nose” more like a RN with the tip cut off. The old version was more TC shaped
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The "new" bullets look like Speer.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are very Speer TMJ (plated) like in shape.

The old version was very accurate in my Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top