Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2022 6:29:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paradude54]
I’m not referring to the famous .44 Automag, but the others, the Mk.II in .22 WMT, the Mk.III in .30 Carbine, Mk.IV, Mk.V. Does anyone have any experience with these?  I’ve got a hankering for one or more, but I don’t want to buy something that is unreliable or inaccurate. It’s not going to be a self defense gun, just a fun range toy.

Thoughts???
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:45:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#1]
Originally Posted By Paradude54:
I’m not referring to the famous .44 Automag, but the others, the Mk.II in .22 WMT, the Mk.III in .30 Carbine, Mk.IV, Mk.V. Does anyone have any experience with these?  I’ve got a hankering for one or more, but I don’t want to buy something that is unreliable or inaccurate. It’s not going to be a self defense gun, just a fun range toy.

Thoughts???
View Quote

I have all of them including some 44/357 Auto Mags.

3ea Automag II 22WMR - 3", 4.5", and 6".
1ea Automag III 30 Carbine
1ea Automag III 9mm Win Mag
1ea Automag IV 10mm Magnum
1ea Automag IV 45 Win Mag
1ea Automag V 50AE

Out of the 8 guns above, only the 30 carbine functioned when I got it.  All the others needed work.  The Automag II's took the most amount of work to get running.

The entire Automag line is plagued with light primer strikes due to a poorly designed hammer spring/strut/bore issue.  Plus many other issues.

Tony

Link Posted: 9/12/2022 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:

1ea Automag IV 45 Win Mag
1ea Automag V 50AE

Out of the 8 guns above, only the 30 carbine functioned when I got it.  All the others needed work.  The Automag II's took the most amount of work to get running.

The entire Automag line is plagued with light primer strikes due to a poorly designed hammer spring/strut/bore issue.  Plus many other issues.

Tony

https://i.imgur.com/hp9xZW1.jpg?1

View Quote

Nice collection
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#3]
My Automag III (.30 carbine) has been breathing FIRE at the range since I purchased it. The person I bought it from told me it likes to run wet, and he was right. The ONLY time I had any problems was when I forgot to bring some CLP with me to the range to give it a good rub down before shooting.
As I said it gets a lot of looks when you send a 12 inch fireball along with a LOUD BANG at the range.
This is a must have pistol companion for any one with M1 carbine.
P.S. - the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine also makes a good companion.

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an Automag III in .30 carbine.  As previously mentioned, it had a big problem with light primer strikes.  I can't remember what I did to it (many years ago), probably installed a heavier hammer spring.  It works fine now and it is fun to shoot.  No way would I bet my life on it, though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 8:09:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#5]

* * * Out of the 8 guns above, only the 30 carbine functioned when I got it.  All the others needed work.  The Automag II's took the most amount of work to get running.

Tony
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Paradude54:

Thoughts???

* * * Out of the 8 guns above, only the 30 carbine functioned when I got it.  All the others needed work.  The Automag II's took the most amount of work to get running.

Tony

Being a 10mm guy from back in the day, my grail gun would be finding a working Auto Mag IV in  10mm Magnum,  or maybe one of the old LAR Grizzlys in that caliber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top