Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2023 6:53:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you, op for sharing your experience!
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]
There is no hard work that goes into making those pieces of crap in my opinion. Everything is stamped or cast and have tolerances that allow them to be thrown together without any fitting.

Don't get me wrong they are decent for a $100 revolver but the cylinder gap you can throw a cat through makes the magnum cylinder pointless unless you just like paying more for noise.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I purchased one of these last year. They really are a good deal! I was pleasantly surprised.

Also, the shot placement on that chipmunk is spot on! You must be an avid hunter! I’d be lucky to hit the little guy at all!
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, fun and reliable. Make sure you tighten the frame screws every once in a while because they come loose with vibration but other than that I’ve had no issues.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 8:21:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chinook3] [#6]
I had a very similar experience as the OP. I had very little expectations and have been pleased with use of this .22 pinker. I even made a set of grips for it from some wood I had saved.

Those are cherry with some spalting and fiddleback.

Chinook3
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:45:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#8]
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Fun Fact, a super colibri fired from a RR sounds like a bumble bee when it ricochets back past you off a rubber spinner target.

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I regretfully sold my Ruger SS a long time ago. After my sons got a little older they wanted cowboy guns. Oldest got the RR with mag cylinder and the younger one got the Wrangler.

We've shot countless rounds through them over the last few years. Fun little guns that don't cost much, ring the nostalgia bell, and don't cost much to shoot. Would buy again.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine has been a fun plinker as well...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish to thank the OP for his review.

If this bargain revolver can be built and priced at this level I have to wonder what Rugers profit margin is? Yes , the single six is a far better built and finished firearm but the production has to be somewhat similar and retail is what ? 6X or 7X the price? Not like Ruger hasn't had 50 years or more to pay off their design and machinery costs.

There was a time when Rough Rider first hit the market and I advised folks to hunt down a Single Six on the used market but prices have gone kinda nuts so that advise has gone out the window.

Years ago I bought a used stainless single six , kept it for a while and sold it for a bit more than what I paid for it. After several years without a rimfire single action I ran across a used blue single six with slight wear and magnum cylinder for $135. at the time new single sixes were about $400.

Not a gun I shoot a lot , mostly pistol classes . (I own 4 rimfire revolvers and 5 or 6 rimfire semi autos so there is that)

Op sounds happy but 500 isn't all that much use , got to wonder with a bigger sample and higher round counts how these cheaper single actions are holding up. Not so concerned with finish wear but if the timeing goes south on a $100 gun you pretty much have a $100 paperweight .
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Have two of the old FIE's, predecessors of the Heritage.  Same Zamac frame.

Word of caution - don't dryfire w/o snapcaps.  Safety on, eventually the safety will break.  Safety off, you'll peen the cylinder and the plastic ejector rod tip will snap trying to get the cases past the peened cylinder walls.

For half the price of the Ruger, the Heritage is a solid value.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 1:11:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#17]
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Good friend loves his. Went over several at the LGS just like Tuco to find the one that spoke to him. Dropped it a million times mastering the western trick moves. Likes embarrassing guys with 1911 who don't practice pin shoots on skinny sawhorses cus waiting to see if they fall wastes time...

I bought a Wrangler because it naturally aims dead on, while the heritage is 15-20 deg left for me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought my Heritage Rough Rider in 2015 for $121. I have used it quite a bit and always enjoy doing some plinking with it.

The combination of cheap 22 ammo plus low recoil makes it a nice pistol that is fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By shotar:
Well, I'm now minus 12 chipmunks around the house with cci shot shells. Inside 8yds or so they have been devastating on the destructive vermin.  If I find them in .22mag, I'll give those a go to see if I can squeeze out a little more range.
View Quote

If you decide to pattern it, would be interesting to see at what range they develop the doughnut pattern from the rifling.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#23]

I did. 10yds the pattern really opens up. Up to 8yds it's pretty decent. I think the 6.5" barrel helps. Long enough to get decent velocity. Not long enough to impart too much spin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  If you decide to pattern it, would be interesting to see at what range they develop the doughnut pattern from the rifling.

I did. 10yds the pattern really opens up. Up to 8yds it's pretty decent. I think the 6.5" barrel helps. Long enough to get decent velocity. Not long enough to impart too much spin.

Do you really get a clear center at 10 yds?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:20:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I had one, long ago. It was cheap and scratched the itch I had for a Ruger SS.

That said, it was poorly made and the cylinder began binding in short order. Screws were always backing out, canted front sight, and some other issues that I can't quite remember.

I think it came with a LR and WMR cylinder. It was definitely a value for the money, but you get what you pay for.

Maybe things have improved since then, but I'd suggest treating it like a safe queen if you want it to last.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Palmetto State Armory has them for $109.99.
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, I'm now minus 12 chipmunks around the house with cci shot shells. Inside 8yds or so they have been devastating on the destructive vermin.  If I find them in .22mag, I'll give those a go to see if I can squeeze out a little more range.
View Quote

How is the shot spread. My issue with the CCI .22 shotshell cartridges has been a wide pattern with too many mouse-sized holes in it.

Of course that may have been a specific nuance of MY gun (a Ruger Single-Six).
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 11:43:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#29]
Link Posted: 6/29/2023 5:03:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zardoz] [#30]
I'd like to get a 16" one just for shits & giggles, but it's just a little too over-the-top.
I'll probably compromise and get this one instead:

My best friend has had one for well over 20 years. The base pin latch ejected soon after he bought it, so I did a field-expedient replacement by using one of those long bolts & nuts that come with car stereo speakers through the hole and cutting to length. Still works after all these years, but changing cylinders is kind of a PITA.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#32]
The Rough Riders made since Taurus started making them, about 10 years ago, are better made and seem to hold up better. Some of the older ones I have been around or used are rattle traps that shave and spit lead from the cylinder gap. The couple of newer ones I have experience with are decent guns with good fit. Locally they are $119 for the cheaper version and I have seen some pretty good sale prices.

I went with the Ruger Super wrangler, for $230 I got a steel frame and adjustable sights. By the time I get grips and a decent holster set up it made sense to me to spend a bit more for the Ruger.

OP, the shot seems to be working well for you but you might try Aguila Super Colibri. It doesn't have gunpowder, its a lightweight pointed bullet driven by the priming compound only. They are silent from a rifle and pretty quiet from a pistol. Should up your range on chipmunk to 20yds or more.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By coyotesilencer:
The Rough Riders made since Taurus started making them, about 10 years ago, are better made and seem to hold up better. Some of the older ones I have been around or used are rattle traps that shave and spit lead from the cylinder gap. The couple of newer ones I have experience with are decent guns with good fit. Locally they are $119 for the cheaper version and I have seen some pretty good sale prices.

I went with the Ruger Super wrangler, for $230 I got a steel frame and adjustable sights. By the time I get grips and a decent holster set up it made sense to me to spend a bit more for the Ruger.

OP, the shot seems to be working well for you but you might try Aguila Super Colibri. It doesn't have gunpowder, its a lightweight pointed bullet driven by the priming compound only. They are silent from a rifle and pretty quiet from a pistol. Should up your range on chipmunk to 20yds or more.
View Quote

They are also slow enough that, under the right conditions, you can actually see them fly downrange.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Brief update. Just killed my 26th chipmunk with this revolver and cci shot shells. Shoots exactly to point of aim with these and blazer.
View Quote

Damn, I have zero around here SW OH.
Do you have a Dog or Cat?
26 at 5 yards is crazy.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 11:09:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#36]
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 1:16:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Guy at the range offered to let me shoot his 16” model, it fanned better than my ruger SS

Sat at a bench and hit a 3” gong at 80 yds first shot

Was impressed
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 7:35:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nate19] [#38]
Btw, got a dunhams e coupon for the revolver today they are $109 with coupon.
View Quote

Dunham’s sucks. That one in Ashtabula is the absolute worst. Even though they occasionally have an unbeatable price, I won’t ever buy a gun from them again. I’ve never had 1 question or issue on a 4473 literally ever. They went over mine like 400 times and would be like “can you make the line on this E just a little bit longer? Can you make this letter at the beginning of you name a little more bold? But not too bold like it looks like your modifying the form.” It was an absolute joke. They must have ATF on their case. Then to have to leave the mall, drive around back, and come in their back storage area to pick up the gun. What a mess.

Funny enough though, the only rifle I bought at Dunham’s is my single purpose chipmunk gun. You are right that when they infest a place, they are everywhere. Last year I shot at least a dozen of them. My dad shot several dozen at his place. After reading your thread, I might try some of the CCI Shotshell. I’ve always used CCI Standard on the chipmunks and it does a proper job, shooting them at about 7 yards.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 5:36:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 4:02:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slvrktman] [#40]
Btw, got a dunhams e coupon for the revolver today they are $109 with coupon.
View Quote

For the last 10 years anyway, DUNHAM’s SPORTING GOODS has offered the 6” .22 revolver or the 4 3/4” dual cylinder revolver. You would think the Dunham’s gun purchase dept. would switch things up once and a while…like a 4 3/4” revolver and the 6” dual cylinder for anyone who likes the 4 3/4”” but has NO  use for the mag, cylinder. I’d probably buy 2…as the Rough Riders are great plinker at a unbelievable low cost…including the blued cylinder and barrel, where the real strength is needed!
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 4:33:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slvrktman] [#41]
FDT
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I love my birdshead model. We bought one for my granddaughter last year. I got an optional horse-motif cylinder for it since she owns horses.

I want to pick up one of the rifles some day.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#43]
I bought one this time last year for 80.00 after rebate.  Only have a few hundred round through it.  I was not expecting too much at all.   It has been fun, reliable and more accurate that I expected. They sell small parts and springs if it does crap the bed.  Would buy again.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 2:45:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coyotesilencer] [#44]
Local store had a few models for $99 black Friday sale. I looked them over and bought a 6.5" with magnum cylinder for $106 OTD. Took it out and shot it at paper at 15yds with a variety of ammo. It hit 1" left of POA with Magnums and 1" left and 1" high with 22lr's. I brought along a crescent wrench with tape wrapped jaws and leaned the front sight a titch to the left. It now shoots magnums dead on and 22lr's an inch high. I was surprised at how well it grouped all the ammo I tried. Easily hitting clays stood up at 50yds.
 I have near 500rds through it and only 1 fail to fire but a good FP strike. Rotated the rim and another hit didn't set it off. Looked like 2 good FP dents so I'm blaming cheap bulk ammo. My cylinder gap is very tight, can hardly see light through it at the right angle. My Ruger Wranglers have a much larger gap. I definitely have better higher quality guns but this Rough Rider has been a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 3:42:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sandboxmedic] [#45]
Originally Posted By Strela:
I love my birdshead model. We bought one for my granddaughter last year. I got an optional horse-motif cylinder for it since she owns horses.

I want to pick up one of the rifles some day.
View Quote

I hate to admit it, but I kinda want one of the bird's head models with the short barrel and nine shot cylinder.  Watching some videos of guys chronoing them, the magnum doesn't really gain anything in velocity but you get a better bullet (for twice the price), so of course I want that.    Of course Heritage won't sell the nine shot hand anymore to convert the six shooter to the nine, so I don't see me ever buying one unless I find one really cheap.  

ETA- I recall seeing someone was making a safety delete that made it look a little better, but i didn't save the link.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I have one I bought last year for $125 and it’s a great shooter
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#47]
The 3 1/2" with the birdshead grip is an awesome little shooter.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By BigHunt:
There is no hard work that goes into making those pieces of crap in my opinion. Everything is stamped or cast and have tolerances that allow them to be thrown together without any fitting.

Don't get me wrong they are decent for a $100 revolver but the cylinder gap you can throw a cat through makes the magnum cylinder pointless unless you just like paying more for noise.
View Quote

This^^!  They are reliable pistols.. but that cylinder gap is a mug IME. Like cover your hands with soot type gap. I’ve never seen anything else like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top