Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/18/2013 3:29:24 AM EDT
Such an underrated pistol? I've owned one for almost a year now and I love it compared to the M9's I get to fire when I go to the range on the military's dime. I've had great results with it. Thus far no malfunctions and it has been accurate so again why so underrated?
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:35:43 AM EDT
[#1]
crowded field in the polymer pistol market, especially at that particular price range would be my guest.

I had 2 of them, a full size .40 and a compact 9.

Sold the .40

The big cons I have found are while the trigger is smooth, it has an exceptionally long reset, the cocking serrations tend to be a bit sharp/uncomfortable and the slide mounted safety/decocker gets in the way for some shooters as far as taking up real estate.

I found that the backstraps are a big plus, enabling me to fit the pistol to my hand very well and the weight was minimal.

Its not so much that its a bad pistol as much as that there are better ones.
FN FNS, Glock, M&P, Ruger SR series, Walther PPQ, etc
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it is a great gun.  Shares many of the same safety features with the 92 series.  Safety that is also a decocker, etc.....

Not bad.  My Father bought a sub-compact PX4 in August.  It's small for my tastes but it fits him well.  I would prefer a compact, personally.  Also the sub-compact does not have a rotating barrel like the full size or compact.
Link Posted: 12/19/2013 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Had a PX4 45 and traded it about a year after I picked it up.  It was more of an impulse/intrigue buy than anything (especially after seeing the barrel).  I basically bought the book based on the cover, it reminded me of the Robocop gun (a modified 93r) so I thought it fit nicely.  

After shooting it for awhile I noticed that the recoil didn't really seem any different from other full-size polymer 45s (even though the rotating barrel was supposed to offer a reduction), and the decocker/safety was especially painful if you grabbed it just right when moving the slide.  I almost always used gloves when shooting it because of this.  The relatively low round capacity also was frustrating, 9 rounds with the flush mag, and 10 with the extended just seemed a little low for me.  This became even more apparent when looking at the Glock 21 and FN45, both which have considerably more mag capacity, albeit with a slightly larger grip.  Even my CMC single stacks (10 rounders) for the TRP offered the same round capacity as the PX4 mag with extended baseplate.

In the end the #1 reason why I got rid of it was not issues with the gun itself, but the fact that it never got any range time after picking up a TRP and a G30.  They were just way more fun to shoot, the PX4 never gave me a reason to go back to it after other options became more available to me.  Overall it's a great piece, 100% reliable for me (I couldn't say the same for the G30), and was unique compared to other guns.

As far as the PX4 9mm goes, I have no experience, but it seems it would be a much better match up (9mm vs 9mm instead of 45 vs 45).
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 1:30:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a PX-4 in 9mm as soon as they came out. Still have it. Sold the Sig 228, the pistol it replaced, a couple of years after getting it. I never connected with the Sig. Sad, it was NOT a cheap pistol by any means. Also had two 92's as they shared magazines with my CX-4 carbine. I could never shoot as well with the 92's and sold them also.  The PX-4 I like and still have. I also have a CZ 75B and a P-01 as well as a Glock 17. So, I can compare all of these fairly based on experience. I am OK with all of these pistols but something about the PX-4 I like. Maybe the look or the feel...don't know...just know I like it more than the Glock.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 8:14:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had a PX4 in 9mm since 06. It lives in my nightstand ready for action.        

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Such an underrated pistol? I've owned one for almost a year now and I love it compared to the M9's I get to fire when I go to the range on the military's dime. I've had great results with it. Thus far no malfunctions and it has been accurate so again why so underrated?
View Quote
Mine is a dream to fire.  Like petting a cat. They are great for introducing someone to a handgun.

That said, mine shoots low, and the one hickhock45 (youtube) used also shoots low.  So as a gun I am going to use when I want to hit targets I am going to use something else.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure you know this, but the sight picture is basically put the front dot on the target. see #3 on this image:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8500/8300227591_e075af2edd.jpg

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm sure you know this, but the sight picture is basically put the front dot on the target. see #3 on this image:

View Quote
Yes.

The impact on mine is the "S" in "Sight Picture" in your diagram.

Some of it is my lousy technique but from a shooting rest it's still considerably low.  I have a laser bore sight that seems to corroborate this as well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 1:39:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Suddenly that explains why I shoot low with my pistol.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 1:56:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good info.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 2:11:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had my full size PX4 40 since '08. Carry it in a Crossbreed holster everyday. I like it a lot, but I'd change the safety/decocker if I could. I need to find a set of the low profile levers for it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:54:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I've had my full size PX4 40 since '08. Carry it in a Crossbreed holster everyday. I like it a lot, but I'd change the safety/decocker if I could. I need to find a set of the low profile levers for it.
View Quote
Out of stock now get on the email list.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/px4-safety-and-slide-catch-le-only-low-prof-typ-g-only/

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:12:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

You could always convert to the G model - safety/decocker returns to the firing position automatically once decocked  - great step by step instructions http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=13509
Link Posted: 12/28/2013 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I currently EDC a SIG SP2022, are there any significant reasons for switching to the PX4? Thx...
Tomac
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I currently EDC a SIG SP2022, are there any significant reasons for switching to the PX4? Thx...
Tomac
View Quote

I love my PX4 pistols, but understand why they aren't as popular as other guns. They shoot like a dream, but do have some characteristics that some dislike (slide mounted safety, DA/SA trigger system, non-standard rotating barrel).

If you like your SIG, I don't see any reason why you should switch. However, I do encourage you to try out a PX4.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I love my PX4 pistols, but understand why they aren't as popular as other guns. They shoot like a dream, but do have some characteristics that some dislike (slide mounted safety, DA/SA trigger system, non-standard rotating barrel).
If you like your SIG, I don't see any reason why you should switch. However, I do encourage you to try out a PX4.
View Quote

I've heard about the PX4's recoil-reducing rotating barrel action and that has me intrigued as the only thing I'd change on the SP2022 is the amount of muzzle rise when firing. If the PX4 has significantly less muzzle rise than the SP2022 then I would seriously consider it as a replacement.
Also, I've heard the PX4 has a significant reset distance, true or not?
Thx!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've heard about the PX4's recoil-reducing rotating barrel action and that has me intrigued as the only thing I'd change on the SP2022 is the amount of muzzle rise when firing. If the PX4 has significantly less muzzle rise than the SP2022 then I would seriously consider it as a replacement.
Thx!...
Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thx!...
Tomac

Yes the reset is true. However when shooting in SA it's not too bad. The trigger is very consistent so after a while you'll get used to it. I rarely shoot in DA mode but being as the first handgun I ever fired was an M9 I'm used to and now prefer berettas.
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 1:06:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thx!...
Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thx!...
Tomac

YMMV but it feels to me like when the barrel cams it absorbs some of that recoil a little bit and then throws the gun to the side a tad. So feels weird at first but it does cut down on muzzle rise. I feel like it snaps back on target super fast so you can thump out follow up shots pretty quick. The reset is a tad long if you're not used to it, my girlfriend shots a Glock 19 and wasn't riding the trigger forward far enough. I don't think it's a deal breaker. I'd buy mine again.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 12:01:57 AM EDT
[#19]
1. Rotating barrel system (sans PX4SC).
2. Magazine issues that led to Maryland State Police to go Glock
3. Did not use the 92FS/M9 magazine design in the PX4.
4. Heavier the most polymer pistols and fairly thick,
5. Beretta couldn't market free sex

I had a PX4SC that had to go back to the factory right out the box with the decock issue. Once fixed it was a nice pistol, but the G26 really fit the role better.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tomac
View Quote

Pistols are a very personal thing, despite what the Glock Fan Boys say, one size does not fit all. (And yes, I do own and shoot a G-17 so I know what they are like)
I had a Sig 228 some years back. A beautiful well made gun for sure, but for whatever reason I just couldn't shoot well with it. I picked up a PX-4 when they first came out some years back and after shooting it for a time I sold the Sig as it was mostly unused after I got the PX-4.  But, that is my experience, others may vary.

I looked at a Sig 2022 the other day. Part of me misses my Sig, but I don't know why. So, which is better, the 2022 or the PX-4?  Can't say, you have to try them both and decide for yourself. Pistols are, like I said, a very personal matter.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#21]
i love my px4.

i was always obsessed with getting a 92... i got the px4 first.

a year or so later i get the 92 and i was unimpressed compared to the px4. a lot heavier and it didn't shoot as well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 2:41:58 AM EDT
[#22]
My 92 is awesome. Only thing I need now is to get Trijicons put on it and that takes getting the slide milled. Just picked up a Px4 Compact, gonna take it out sometime in the next few days here. Pretty stoked to see it shoot. Out of curiousity, does anybody know what the block assembly adapter does in the compact?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I never like my PX4 Inox 9mm until I installed a set of low profile control.

+

=

Yg
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I was told that'd make your gun a G model only? There any truth to that? If not, I'd definitely look into this cause those safety levels have a bit of a bite on them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was told that'd make your gun a G model only? There any truth to that? If not, I'd definitely look into this cause those safety levels have a bit of a bite on them.
View Quote

Yes, the gun will be converted from F to G (Decocker only). I really like the G low profile conversion.

Yg
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Hmmm. Only thing that stops me from doing that is I keep it in a fanny pack when I run and I put the safety on cause I'm using one of those Uncle Mike's Pocket Holster deals and don't want something to accidentally snag the trigger. I need to find out if Raven makes a Vanguard style holster so that I clip that on there. Would probably consider it then. That low profile looks nice.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Purchased from Berettausa. You just have to wait until it is instock.

Yg
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I love my PX4 subcompact in .40 S&W.  It's one of my EDC guns.  I feel like Beretta hasn't advertised the PX4 nearly enough.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Took a leap of faith and picked up a couple of new PX4 Compacts from the local Cabelas. First impressions already posted in this forum.
Tomac
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 7:30:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Much better.

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Much better.
http://i59.tinypic.com/280i0ao.jpg

View Quote

You're welcome!
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Well crap, now I may have to get one after reading all these great reviews.
I only got looking at them because I have a PX4STORM rifle and I'd like to have mag commonality.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well crap, now I may have to get one after reading all these great reviews.
I only got looking at them because I have a PX4STORM rifle and I'd like to have mag commonality.
View Quote

The PX4 is unique in my shooting experience. It has a number of small but irritating issues that I normally wouldn't accept (ie: slide-mounted safety/decocker, too-slick grip, custom night sights for the Compact version).
However, it shoots better and with less muzzle rise than any other 9mm I've owned and *that* means more than the other (fixable) issues to me.
Talon Grips fixed the slick-grip problem, converted the safety/decocker to decocker-only (at least now I don't have to worry about inadvertently activating the safety during malf drills) and although pricey, the custom night-sight job was worth it.
Tomac

PX4 Compact & SIG SP2022:

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I never like my PX4 Inox 9mm until I installed a set of low profile control.
<a href="http://s191.photobucket.com/user/Titeo2k6/media/20131010_210530_zps7532375a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Titeo2k6/20131010_210530_zps7532375a.jpg</a>

+

<a href="http://s191.photobucket.com/user/Titeo2k6/media/20131010_154433_zps1fb08c45.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Titeo2k6/20131010_154433_zps1fb08c45.jpg</a>

=

<a href="http://s191.photobucket.com/user/Titeo2k6/media/20131011_003349_zps4be19c51.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Titeo2k6/20131011_003349_zps4be19c51.jpg</a>

Yg
View Quote

Nice, looks so much better. I absolutely have to get the low pro for mine, would make it a hell of a lot easier to carry without those "ears" poking out. Do they make the safety/decocker easier to engage/disengage?
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 6:48:21 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Nice, looks so much better. I absolutely have to get the low pro for mine, would make it a hell of a lot easier to carry without those "ears" poking out. Do they make the safety/decocker easier to engage/disengage?

View Quote

The low pro turns your PX4 into a decocker only, and losing the ears does make it a bit trickier to flip the lever down.

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I just picked up a new sub compact Thursday and took it out Friday and put 78 rounds through it of four different brands of 115 fmj.
Smooth as glass.
Not one single problem.
Was pretty impressed with it and has been noted the low muzzle flip and low recoil is just as reported even though mine is the smaller version of the three.
Those ears are sharp for sure.
I think I will hang onto this pistol.
I really don't think I could find another pistol of this quality and balance for the $425 I paid for it.
In case anyone wonders why I was able to get it that cheap it was a non reserve Gun Broker auction that I won.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I was ready to drop the hammer for a full size then I noticed it came with three 10 rounders and the seller only had one sale under him. It's looking more like Buds is going to get my cash.
They have a "type F" listed; can anyone tell me if the F is the one I should get?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I was ready to drop the hammer for a full size then I noticed it came with three 10 rounders and the seller only had one sale under him. It's looking more like Buds is going to get my cash.
They have a "type F" listed; can anyone tell me if the F is the one I should get?
Thanks.
View Quote

Check out GrabAGun: http://grabagun.com/beretta-px4-9mm-4-bl-2-17rd.html , much better than Bud's.
The F-type has the standard safety/decocker on the slide. Many like myself do the easy conversion to G-type (decocker only).
HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks Tomac.
The only downside is I have to pay tax to grabagun(we're both in TX)and buds has their make an offering on this gun. I asked around and was told that as long as you don't offer below 10 o/o you will get the gun.
That would put the price at under $450 so I figured I'd offer$450 and take my chances. They also have free shipping on that gun.
Thanks again, Tomac.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The low pro turns your PX4 into a decocker only, and losing the ears does make it a bit trickier to flip the lever down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, I want keep my PX4 "Type F". Guess I'll just leave it the way it is then.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can always have your local 'smith dehorn the factory batwings to approximate the low-pro levers, thus preserving your F-style functionality.
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks Tomac.
The only downside is I have to pay tax to grabagun(we're both in TX)and buds has their make an offering on this gun. I asked around and was told that as long as you don't offer below 10 o/o you will get the gun.
That would put the price at under $450 so I figured I'd offer$450 and take my chances. They also have free shipping on that gun.
Thanks again, Tomac.
View Quote

You're welcome. Your reasons make sense, it's just that Bud's has developed a rep lately of long shipping delays unless you're a paid member in their club.
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a PX4 subcompact. I like it fine, but the sights suck. Front post too small.  Also shoots low left.
I need to put some Trijicons on it, but I remembered reading somewhere that the sights that are listed as compatible aren't the right set so I've put it off.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You can always have your local 'smith dehorn the factory batwings to approximate the low-pro levers, thus preserving your F-style functionality.
Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

You know, I've actually thought about that. I'll have to look into it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have a PX4 subcompact. I like it fine, but the sights suck. Front post too small.  Also shoots low left.
I need to put some Trijicons on it, but I remembered reading somewhere that the sights that are listed as compatible aren't the right set so I've put it off.
View Quote

Mine were shooting low/left until I changed the position of my trigger finger on the trigger.
Only the PX4 Compact won't take the std PX4 Trijicons due to its proprietary front sight width. the subcompact should be fine.
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Mine were shooting low/left until I changed the position of my trigger finger on the trigger.
Only the PX4 Compact won't take the std PX4 Trijicons due to its proprietary front sight width. the subcompact should be fine.
Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

My finger position is the same as I have been using with everything else for 35 years, pad of index finger in middle of bow. I shoot all kinds of stuff, some of it odd. 1911s, USPs, P7, 22/45, S&W wheelguns, Detonics Pocket 9, Mateba, etc., etc.
How are you shooting yours?
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tomac
Another low-lefty here.

I'll have to do some trigger finger work.  I think I am using the wrong back strap on it too. (The smallest one.)
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My finger position is the same as I have been using with everything else for 35 years, pad of index finger in middle of bow. I shoot all kinds of stuff, some of it odd. 1911s, USPs, P7, 22/45, S&W wheelguns, Detonics Pocket 9, Mateba, etc., etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tomac

I had been using the middle of the pad (like I did for everything else) and that resulted in low-left, but when I starting using the pad closer to the first joint (first joint almost touching the trigger) my groups centered nicely.
Tomac
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Of how many law enforcement agencies that adopted the PX4, how many have not yet dumped them?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top