BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:07:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's a novel idea, if you don't like something, don't do it.

If a post upsets your delicate nature, move on and don't read it.
View Quote
This is a grown up forum . Not GD
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I used S3F Solutions on my 19 build which was my first. Used Blacklist on my 17 and 34. If your going to get an aftermarket barrel you might as well get the one you think looks the best. With target ammo you won't see a huge difference. I see a significant difference when using 147 grain.
View Quote
Why not get a more accurate barrel ? This seems like fashion over performance . I would think for the money you would want a more accurate gun . I would love to know what I am missing . I have a Glock 17 coming from a match prize that is going to get modified for a dedicated match gun so I have been reading these and other threads with interest . The gun is going to get some grip mods and trigger work . Barrel color is not even a thought
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why not get a more accurate barrel ? This seems like fashion over performance . I would think for the money you would want a more accurate gun . I would love to know what I am missing . I have a Glock 17 coming from a match prize that is going to get modified for a dedicated match gun so I have been reading these and other threads with interest . The gun is going to get some grip mods and trigger work . Barrel color is not even a thought
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used S3F Solutions on my 19 build which was my first. Used Blacklist on my 17 and 34. If your going to get an aftermarket barrel you might as well get the one you think looks the best. With target ammo you won't see a huge difference. I see a significant difference when using 147 grain.
What I meant by find the one you think looks best is most aftermarket barrels have similar performance. You're not going to get day/night different results. As far as I'm concerned, barrels are black or stainless.

Best trigger setup I have found for me is an Agency trigger with TTI Grandmaster kit.  

I really like Blacklist barrels. Work great with heavier loads, only minimal gains with target rounds. I have become very well aquainted with the owner and he's a really good guy.

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Go to 10:19. Jerry doesn't do anything with his thumbs and I hear he's pretty good at recoil control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChSazF41q-s
View Quote
did you watch the whole video?

watch at 17:58 on.

"people are actually putting a shoe or a pad, where they can use their thumb of their weak hand to control recoil.... that's starting to work out pretty good"
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Just more variety -- something fun to play with. I love G19s, so when I had the chance to trade an absolutely horseshit AK for a like-new factory ZEV 19 Dragonfly, it was a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Do what you want, but it's the functional equivalent of putting a wing spoiler on your Honda Accord and thinking you now have some sort of race car.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do what you want, but it's the functional equivalent of putting a wing spoiler on your Honda Accord and thinking you now have some sort of race car.
View Quote
Nothing wrong with that if it makes them happy. Not my cup of tea, but some of these look very cool.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I customize Glocks for this reason:

A base Glock plain works. I want to start with a platform that's durable and has a solid track record. Unfortunately, ergonomically it's similar to a brick. However, that can be fixed.

I own 3 Glocks. Glock 1 is carried on duty and I can't modify it, so it's my least favorite to shoot, but it works. Glock 2 is a 19 with shaved fingerbumps, double undercut trigger guard, an OP DAT trigger, a SF x300u, and a set of Trij HD's. This gun is a lot more fun to shoot. It fits my hand much better, and it does what I need it to do. The reliability hasn't been compromised in anyway either.

Glock 3 is a Roland Special. It's flat shooting, accurate, concealable, and a true pleasure to shoot.

My overall point being is that people modify Glocks because the base platform is relatively cheap and they're reliable. They're just boring and with some minor mods, you can make them into seriously awesome shooters.
View Quote
I think basically this.

Just like the AR, you pick a basic, common, reliable, and common weapon and make it work better for you.

People have been customizing weapons since weapons were a thing.  1911 mods have been done so many times that there are "standard modifications" now expected on any semi-custom (or higher grade) gun (larger beaver tail, improved hammer, enlarged ejection port, sights).

The Glock makes sense in this light as they are popular, easily obtained at any gun store, reliable, and cheap.  They have a large aftermarket that is capable of supporting many companies putting $ into developing stuff for them (market share is important here......if only 400 people in the nation have a gun, there's not nearly as much profit as if there is 100k people who own a particular make & model).

I have been using Glocks for years and I've done very little to them.  New sights is the only mod that I've done to most all of them.  I have a 19L that I like a lot.  I have GFAs on 2 and skateboard tape on a 34.  I don't really call weapon lights as customization, but they are another standard addition.

I'd like to roland special my G19 & 19L.....probably the next thing that I do.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Ruining a perfectly good Glock, and paying for it.   More money than sense I guess.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A few trigger springs and the grip work is 99% of the functionality.   That's a couple hours labor and and $15 worth of springs.

The slide cuts, ceracoat, and 'match grade' barrel is the other $1400.
View Quote
I like your break-down.  And it's exactly why I do the first half and not the second half.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a Glock owner/fanatic.  But I feel like these overly modified GLOCK's are the fidget spinner of the gun world
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Glocks are cheap. Most people have several. I think a lot of people just want something than the same boring stock gun. Never have understood why people are always so concerned with how others spend their money.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#13]
As Memphis Raines would say, "too many self indulgent wieners, with too much bloody money".

Don't get me wrong Glocks are fine. I own a couple. And people are free to do what they want. Especially with their own property and money. A few of these mods are worthwhile (IMHO). But most are silly and have little if any actual value. But that being said, if you like something because it looks cool or you think it's practical. Have at it. :D
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Just a fad. It'll probably die in the next few years. Like the shoot me first vest of the 90s. That said I don't care how people spend their money. If it gets more people into guns, good. Optics on handguns will probably be the norm.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top