Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2014 4:21:19 PM EDT
I've not done a running range report thread in sometime. I've done a couple in the AR & AK section before, but never one on a handgun. Since I started at round zero, I thought it would be fun to chronicle the life of this pistol as I carry, abuse, shoot, and have fun with it.

Pistol:
Springfield Armory TRP (model PC9108LP)
Born March of 2014

Round count as of 10/18/2014: 1,375

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Range Report: September 14, 2014

Ammo:
- 250 rounds of Federal 230 grain ball
- 50 rounds of TulAmmo 230 grain ball
- 50 rounds of Speer Lawman TMJ 230 grain ball

Mags used
- 2 OEM mags
- 2 CMC 8 round powermags
- 1 Taurus 8 round mag - mfg. unknown
- Ironhandjohn brought along a pile of Wilson 47 and 47D's

Range Summary
- 350 total rounds fired, accuracy is outstanding, reliability to date is great. Oddly enough - the Tula grouped not half bad and was reliable. This is welcoming as its the cheapest .45 available locally.
- 2 failures where the slide did not lock back. This occurred both times with the same Wilson mag John brought. It is known as #8 as that's whats on the bottom of the mag. John indicated this mag is unique in that it is a model 47 with a 47D follower in it. This was the only issue that was experienced today.

And since we all like pictures...

DSC_4442 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_4446 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_4448 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_4476 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_4502 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_4507 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_4513 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Great write up. I have 541 rounds through my TRP Operator I got at the end of July, zero malfunctions of May kind. Great pistol!
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent write up and pictures.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Great guns, aren't they?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellent...love the dirty muzzle pics.  

You were really careful not to wipe any off weren't you?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Excellent...love the dirty muzzle pics.  

You were really careful not to wipe any off weren't you?  
View Quote

i did for the last one

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Born March of 2104
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Born March of 2104

fixed

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice work there, southpaw
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice work there, southpaw
View Quote

I'm normal..... that was ironhandjohn taking some shots
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#10]
My TRP does not like to lock back with Wilson mags either.  

If she prefers cheaper mags I am not gonna complain.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Some changes are to be made.

Ordered new shoes and a rear sight - VZ gatorbacks in earth brown and a 10-8 rear sight.

Might be odd, but I like the factory .125 width on a 1911. I know springers vary in rear sight height - this one has a .375/.125 rear on it.

Now to bone up on my 1911 smithin'
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oddly it was just that one mag it didn't like. My S&W 1911TA has no issues with that mag.

We finally managed to break Rich's losing streak with ONE particular Wilson mag, as it ran 100% in the TRP, after choking every previous 1911 he's ever owned. My Smith, of course, doesn't mind it either.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#13]
10-8 sight arrived today.

going to try some smithin' tonight
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Great write up. I have 541 rounds through my TRP Operator I got at the end of July, zero malfunctions of May kind. Great pistol!
View Quote

Same here. Love it!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#15]
That wasn't so bad.

Took a smidge off the sight, a little eezox, few light taps with a hammer + derlin punch...couple heavy taps.... Installed.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:50:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I like the look of that 10-8 sight on there...may have to do the same to my own.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice choice!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I like the look of that 10-8 sight on there...may have to do the same to my own.
View Quote

Agreed

OP can you take a few extra pictures?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Agreed

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed

yessir.

I'm going to the range in the morning and will take the camera. Might be able to snap some tonight - have a social engagement with Mrs. Finslayer so depending on how late that goes we shall see.

For the install, driving the factory sight out was fun, there was definitely some sort of loctite in place under the sight. I think it was from where SA used it on the sight screw. A few heavy raps with the punch/hammer got it out though.

The 10-8 required a little bit of filing on the front face, I got it to where it would press in 1/5th of the way and then tap in with light taps. Took a liitle more area off, then tried again - repeated this 3x until I could get it 80% of the way in with light/moderate force.

One more swipe with the file, got it in 85% of the way, then put some english on it and drove it home until it was centered. Tomorrow I'll confirm zero and once satisfied, I'll add some blue loctite to the set screw and call it a day.

Need to grab some cold blue to touch up the corners of the "front face" where I filed on it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That wasn't so bad.

Took a smidge off the sight, a little eezox, few light taps with a hammer + derlin punch...couple heavy taps.... Installed.

http://i.imgur.com/CVlaHBs.jpg
View Quote

Where did you get the 375" rear?...
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I LOVE my Operator
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That wasn't so bad.

here - I opted for the .125 notch as its the same as the factory sight.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That wasn't so bad.

Thanks, I just got the 325"/ 156" by mistake from brownells but I'm still looking for a 375"/140 U notch, by the way nice pistol and write up, the TRP its at the top of my list but I ended up with the LW Op.. Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#24]
VZ's showed up today.

Since I like options  - just ordered a pair of the cocobolo grips that come on the professional from SA for $40.... ya know for options

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Range Report: 9-20-14

Ammo:

- 100 Rounds PPU 230g
- 100 Tula 230g

Mags:
- 2 OEM - would like to find who made these and order more
- 2 CMC power mags
- 1 OEM Taurus mag - unknown mfg.

Range Summary:
- Zero malfunctions, everything fired without a hitch.
- First outing with 10-8 rear sight, vast improvement over the novak rear - can't explain why really, other than the sight picture is crisper and faster.
- Took punch and hammer to zero the sight in, once I got it zero'd I was shooting even better than my last trip.
- First outing with VZ gatorbacks, great grips, even better for CCW as they are comfortable against skin. I'm excited to get the professional grips from SA - should be here next week, options are good
- the 6 o'clock hold is nice - but takes getting used to as most of my pistols are POI/POA - with that said, it is starting to grow on me and might have to change up sights on the G19 to keep consistency.

Total rounds fired to date: 550

This is an outstanding pistol

DSC_4527 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_4537 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_4544 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

10 yards after sight zero using the PPU .45

DSC_4549 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Not a huge Springfield fan, but that is very nice.  Love the well-shot pics
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Gun looks great. Range reports and pictures are awesome. Thanks for sharing.
I'm no expert, but from what I've seen in my own experience the Springfield slide stops are fitted pretty close to the plunger tube/spring and there's quite a bit of pressure keeping the slide stop in place.  Some 8-rd mags, when dirty, won't push the slide stop up with enough force to lock open on empty.
On a couple of my Springfields I corrected this by replacing my plunger tube spring, or shortening the existing one.  Or, shooting mags that consistently lock open on empty regardless of cleanliness.
Wilson 500 ETM have been dead-nuts reliable in all my guns. But I still have a pile of 47Ds that I use quite a bit too.

I believe the OEM mags are actually Springfield made.  You should be able to call springfield up and order some more from them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm no expert, but from what I've seen in my own experience the Springfield slide stops are fitted pretty close to the plunger tube/spring and there's quite a bit of pressure keeping the slide stop in place.  Some 8-rd mags, when dirty, won't push the slide stop up with enough force to lock open on empty.
On a couple of my Springfields I corrected this by replacing my plunger tube spring, or shortening the existing one.  Or, shooting mags that consistently lock open on empty regardless of cleanliness.
Wilson 500 ETM have been dead-nuts reliable in all my guns. But I still have a pile of 47Ds that I use quite a bit too.

I believe the OEM mags are actually Springfield made.  You should be able to call springfield up and order some more from them.
View Quote

The only 8 rounders I've had issues with are the 47D's. This has been the case with all 7 1911's I've owned (the TRP is known as #7). CMC powermags, MecGar's, whatever RIA's come with, and the odd taurus mag all work great. Not to discredit the 47D as it has a great reputation - I've only had one mag not function in the TRP, which was a unique mag that Ironhandjohn brought along. There was full disclosure it was a "different" mag.

7 round Wilson's work great - and if i were to buy more Wilson's that is what I would get.

I'm thinking it would be interesting to try some mags out which I've not used before (knowingly) such as checkmates, metalforms, and maybe a Tripp mag. Ideally I would prefer to find a good functioning mag which works well with this pistol and which can be had at the $18-$22 range (consistently, not waiting on sales). At the same time I do realize you get what you pay for, so for "good" mags I'll still continue to purchase CMC powermags as they have performed the best for me.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The only 8 rounders I've had issues with are the 47D's. This has been the case with all 7 1911's I've owned (the TRP is known as #7). CMC powermags, MecGar's, whatever RIA's come with, and the odd taurus mag all work great. Not to discredit the 47D as it has a great reputation - I've only had one mag not function in the TRP, which was a unique mag that Ironhandjohn brought along. There was full disclosure it was a "different" mag.

7 round Wilson's work great - and if i were to buy more Wilson's that is what I would get.

I'm thinking it would be interesting to try some mags out which I've not used before (knowingly) such as checkmates, metalforms, and maybe a Tripp mag. Ideally I would prefer to find a good functioning mag which works well with this pistol and which can be had at the $18-$22 range (consistently, not waiting on sales). At the same time I do realize you get what you pay for, so for "good" mags I'll still continue to purchase CMC powermags as they have performed the best for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not THAT different; just a Wilson 47 w/ a 47D follower in it. I didn't find out about the follower until I loaded it, then wondered why it would hold eight rounds. As stated earlier, it functions just fine in my S&W 1911TA, and I bet your TRP will not have any problems once it breaks in a little bit more.

Those grips are the shit, as is the rear sight. You got me hooked on the 10-8 rear sight since your old S/A GI model. The blacked-out rear doesn't work with the G23, though, as it looks too much like the back of the slide for my middle-aged eyes to pick up quickly.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Oddly it was just that one mag it didn't like. My S&W 1911TA has no issues with that mag.

We finally managed to break Rich's losing streak with ONE particular Wilson mag, as it ran 100% in the TRP, after choking every previous 1911 he's ever owned.
My Smith, of course, doesn't mind it either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We finally managed to break Rich's losing streak with ONE particular Wilson mag, as it ran 100% in the TRP, after choking every previous 1911 he's ever owned.
My Smith, of course, doesn't mind it either.

I'm betting it was a weak magazine spring. All (3) 47D's I've had, left fully loaded for months at a time (on the ready), I've had problem after problem with. Wolff Extra Power mags fixed the problems. I'm talking new mags with less than 400 rounds each already had weak mag springs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Range Report: 9-26-2014

The quest to break the 1k mark is near....

Ammo:

- 150 rounds of Tula 230 grain ball
- 150 rounds of PPU 230 grain ball

Mags:
- 2 OEM Springfield 7 round mags
- 2 CMC powermags
- 1 Taurus OEM mag

Total rounds fired: 300

Summary:
Took a PTO day today and hit the range early this morning.

Nay an issue - ran like a top. I will say that this is equal to or greater than the Loaded which I put through the ringer.

I've got 201 rounds (really 300) ready for round II in the morning with Ironhandjohn to break the 1,000 round mark.

On a side note - .45 is expensive

DSC_4735 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_4746 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#32]
The body of a 47 and 47D is identica except for the witness hole they drill for the 8th round on the Ds.  

When the springs on your CMCs die, replace 'em with Tripp kits, or pm me for some super cheap Powermag springs and followers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#33]
---
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Range Report: 9-27-14

Ammo:
- 100 rounds of Federal 230 grain ball
- 100 rounds of PPU 230 Grain ball
- 50 rounds of Tula 230 grain ball
- 25 rounds of Federal HST

275 rounds fired today

Mags:
- 2 OEM
- 2 CMC powermags
- 2 SA mags (GI style)
- 1 Taurus OEM mag

Summary:
Have passed the 1,000 threshold without any malfunctions or issues. IMO the TRP is ready for any carry or HD duties.

I used to think there was not a difference between a $700 1911 and a $1,000 1911 outside of features - still may not be the case depends on how you look at it, but for the $1-1.5k price range I would strongly suggest looking at a TRP. This has been made clear by many folks on here, but add me to the list suggesting the TRP as a good 1911 investment.

DSC_4755 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_4760 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_4762 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_4766 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#35]
So as your carry ammo, ball or HST? , if HST how many total rounds through the gun?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So as your carry ammo, ball or HST? , if HST how many total rounds through the gun?
View Quote

I've only shot 25 rounds of HST, need to order more to run through it. Personally, I feel that if I can run 100-150 rounds of defensive ammo through a pistol without issues, it's GTG.

Some feel that number should be higher, but cost wise - it is were i draw the line. I have no doubts about the ability for HST to continue to function well in this pistol.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Just received a package from Springfield Armory.

Some Professional shoes for classy events

DSC_4781 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_4803 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Range Report: 9-28-14

Ammo:
- 100 rounds of Federal 230 grain ball
- 50 rounds of Federal Aluminum 230 grain ball

150 rounds fired today

Mags:
- 2 OEM
- 2 Wilson 47's

Summary:
Today finished my three day range blitz as I'm going to be slammed during October and don't know if I'll be able to hit the range.

The Federal aluminum stuff shot well and at $14.97 a box I see more of it in my future.

DSC_4841 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

DSC_4850 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I've been known to rit dye some things here and there... And tonight I decided that the VZ "earth brown" was not the desired shade of brown.

20 min later and a pot of boiling "dark brown" rit dye I had some patriot brown-ish grips.

If SACS will let me send just the slide in - I'm going to send it in for the carry cut treatment. We shall see what they say.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Hey Fin great looking TRP. Love the pics and range report. Taking mine out this weekend. I was wondering about the professional grips you got from Springfield. Did you have to call them to order them? I've looked online and haven't been able to find any for sale.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:54:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hey Fin great looking TRP. Love the pics and range report. Taking mine out this weekend. I was wondering about the professional grips you got from Springfield. Did you have to call them to order them? I've looked online and haven't been able to find any for sale.
View Quote

yessir.

called the springer customer service # and said I want to buy some grips - was transferred, told em I wanted the professional grips, $40 later I was done.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Awesome. I'm gonna have to get some they look great.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#43]
TRP = Awesome gun for the $$.  Ive been more than pleased with mine.  Just got these sights installed this week.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've been known to rit dye some things here and there... And tonight I decided that the VZ "earth brown" was not the desired shade of brown.

20 min later and a pot of boiling "dark brown" rit dye I had some patriot brown-ish grips.

http://i.imgur.com/KchA297.jpg

If SACS will let me send just the slide in - I'm going to send it in for the carry cut treatment. We shall see what they say.
View Quote

Nooooooooo!

That shit looks so gay.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Nooooooooo!

That shit looks so gay.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/KchA297.jpg

Nooooooooo!

That shit looks so gay.  

well...I don't want it to look all ........

I'll leave it be
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Good reports. The TRP is a heck of a pistol. And yes, while it may serve a purpose, Hi Power cuts look like Obama's ass on a 1911. (I'm assuming that is what you meant by Carry cuts)
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#47]
This thread makes it very difficult to not want a TRP
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#48]
TRPs are good to go.

Mines still kicking after I abused the living hell out of it
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Please quit posting pics of your TRP, it's making me want one in a bad way!

BTW, I found that my SA Champion likes the Wilson 47 mags the best. Well, my Sig Tac Ops seems to like them as well. That's the only 1911 mags I buy now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Please quit posting pics of your TRP, it's making me want one in a bad way!
View Quote

No joke.  I do not need another 1911, but this thread makes me tight in my boxer area every time I look at it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top