Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/26/2015 5:20:32 PM EDT
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1SIG228&name=SIG+SAUER+P228+9mm+Compact+Pistol&groupid=3593&fprdct=1
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Sold out.  I guess that was a good deal?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#3]
They looked pretty rough in some of the pictures.  I would be concerned about frame wear on them.  I am not fond of the electric pencil engraving on one of them to force match the serial numbers on the frame and slide.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They looked pretty rough in some of the pictures.  I would be concerned about frame wear on them.  I am not fond of the electric pencil engraving on one of them to force match the serial numbers on the frame and slide.
View Quote

I'm not fond of EP matches either. I saw that pic after ordering and may end up just telling them to send only the 84.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure there are a few lower grade examples in the batch but the mystery of what you'll get was always the fun part of the surplus game to me. I know that buying from a reputable dealer like AIM that if I wind up with a dog I can return it with no hassle. In my case I paid the extra $20 and will hope for the best knowing that if it winds up for the worse I am still in good hands.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#7]
And there you have it...  
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Man I let out a big ole craaaap, when I saw sold out.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Meh, in that shape, not that spectacular of a deal.  I've seen plenty of exc & refinished ones go for a hair over $500.  Prob better that way.  At least you can see what you are buying rather than rolling the dice.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I ordered two.  I'll post condition when I get them, hopefully middle of next week.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#11]
any idea on when you will get more in?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#12]
if anyone purchased one and isn't happy with it, I'd buy it off you no questions asked. I saw the email but by the time I got home an hour later the 228's and the 84s were sold out. I wanted one of both bad
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Do these have the Star of David on the frame? I've seen some Israeli P228s that had such a marking.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I will post pictures as soon as mine comes in, I ran to the nearest computer once I opened the email.

I knew these would sell fast.

I also did the hand pick option.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:44:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought one a couple months ago from Mrgundealer at gunbroker and it looked much better then the pictured ones from Aim.  It cost me 479.00 and when received was very pleased for the condition as for the rails.  I see that the 228 is getting more scarce and Mrgundealer is now selling for 549.00.  In that same month I bought a used W. German 226 from another dealer at 469.00 in great condition.  I would be curious for the feedback from buyers of Aim's 228.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:32:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine shipped today. I should have it by Tuesday. It will be my first Sig..
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Cheetah in better shape than the 228
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the picture. How does the Sig look on the inside?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Yikes!  That SIG looks like a major POS.  More money into grips and a refinish/respray if it were mine.  That is why I passed.  Ouch.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yikes!  That SIG looks like a major POS.  More money into grips and a refinish/respray if it were mine.  That is why I passed.  Ouch.
View Quote

I wouldn't call it a major POS, but it does have some mileage. Prime candidate for a refinish, but sort of the reason I changed my order as I wasn't looking to gamble. Am looking forward to my Cheetah though!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:18:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Sig P228, I changed out grips for better texture, slide stop spring, decocker spring, trigger bar spring and recoil spring.  Gun shoots straight with no issues to include the one original marked LEO restricted used magazine that came with the gun.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do these have the Star of David on the frame? I've seen some Israeli P228s that had such a marking.
View Quote

I picked up two of these.   Both were pretty rough looking but after sending back to Sig for the factory refresh they are both excellent shooters with a nice history.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I picked up two of these.   Both were pretty rough looking but after sending back to Sig for the factory refresh they are both excellent shooters with a nice history.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that service cost from Sig?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found a price sheet from SIG
Here
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Got mine.  As advertised and in better shape than I was expecting.  Mismatched slide to frame.  Very discrete import marks from Mach1 on it.

Slide and barrel are West German B175 prefix with a KD stamp so 93.

Frame is B282 prefix.  I'm assuming 97/98 manufacture.  Odd looking mark after the frame SN and proof mark I can't make out.

The guts look fine.  Will attempt to hit the range tomorrow.  If she shoots, I'll be happy.

Only an iphone right now, so no quality pics.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I love me some surplus Sigs! My 228 was a police trade-in with the aforementioned hand engraving on the slide

I just stippled the grips today, otherwise this is how she came:

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:07:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Received mine today. Condition looks very mich like the one posted by JohnKimble. B prefix, matching slide, frame, and electro penciled barrel. West German manufacture. Excellent bore. Hebrew Star of David marking on one side of the forward trigger guard and Circled Hebrew letter on the other side. Couple of grip screws are buggered but not badly. Cleaned up nicely. Happy with the purchase.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Took mine to the range today.  No issue with DA.  Light primer strikes on cheap ammo(Tula steel case) in SA.  No issue with DA or SA with quality ammo.  Will probably shoot it again tomorrow with other practice ammo than Tula.  

Likely a weak hammer spring???

Will likely send it in to Sig for the SIG Service Package after I move in September.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Received mine today. Condition looks very mich like the one posted by JohnKimble. B prefix, matching slide, frame, and electro penciled barrel. West German manufacture. Excellent bore. Hebrew Star of David marking on one side of the forward trigger guard and Circled Hebrew letter on the other side. Couple of grip screws are buggered but not badly. Cleaned up nicely. Happy with the purchase.
View Quote

I can echo this except mine is a mix master...nothing matches. West German B prefix slide (KD dated) with B prefix frame (grips are dated 8/93). The frame also has the Star of David and circled Hebrew proof. Love the history with this and am also happy with the purchase. Will be sending to Sig for the service plan since this one was rode hard and put away wet.

ETA The rails are in good shape but the slide/frame are a good bit loose.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#31]
every 228  i've shot tula through has had light strikes on SA.    E2 mainspring fixes it but ruins DA.    New Old Stock Mainspring also fixes the issue
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:39:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
every 228  i've shot tula through has had light strikes on SA.    E2 mainspring fixes it but ruins DA.    New Old Stock Mainspring also fixes the issue
View Quote

Thanks.

Already loaded with Win White box for tomorrow to try.  Ability to shoot practice ammo is a plus.

Will still send her in to Sig in a couple months, but will keep an eye out for new old stock.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Got mine today, the rails look very good otherwise a lot of holster wear. This is my first sig in a while, I've noticed that some people are referencing 3 serial numbers. I don't seem to see any on the slide or barrel. Are they going to be hidden somewhere?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:40:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Got mine today, the rails look very good otherwise a lot of holster wear. This is my first sig in a while, I've noticed that some people are referencing 3 serial numbers. I don't seem to see any on the slide or barrel. Are they going to be hidden somewhere?
View Quote

The serial number on the sllide is  just behind the P228 marking. The electro penciled serial number on the barrel is visible in the ejection port.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The serial number on the sllide is  just behind the P228 marking. The electro penciled serial number on the barrel is visible in the ejection port.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the response, it appears my pistol is not a triple serial number model. However, the proof stamps date it to 1998. I'll give sig a call Monday to date it via serial number.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Wow, that one almost looks new.  I'm hoping I'm REALLY lucky when mine comes in too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine had no ep on the barrel at all

Not too bad of shape definately has been used and abused but not awful shape, slight rust on grip screws and a lil on the outside of the breech area of the barrel

Lots of back and forth slide play lil loose on the right side
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wow, that one almost looks new.  I'm hoping I'm REALLY lucky when mine comes in too.
View Quote

That one wasn't one of the aim batch he said pd surplus.
Trust me these will not be new looking, but they will be serviceable
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah mine was from gunbroker. There was a thread here about 6 months ago that pointed me to the listing...same sort of deal as the current aim offerings. I paid 400 for mine as well
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yeah mine was from gunbroker. There was a thread here about 6 months ago that pointed me to the listing...same sort of deal as the current aim offerings. I paid 400 for mine as well
View Quote

Much better deal then
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I got mine in, LOTS of holster wear. but I figure a nice ceracoat will clean that up. When funds clear up I am going to send it to sig for a rework, SRT, and nightsites. I also found mecgar 15rd mags on-sale for just $18 at Midway USA.  I picked up 5. I put 100rds through it yesterday. shot perfectly fine as far as I could tell. I'm not used to the trigger but it shot anoout a 4" group at 10 yards. I blame me though because I put three rounds on top of each other in the mag prior.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Mine ran great. Needs new grips and the sights could uses some help. Feed ramp needs love as well but had no issues.
For those sending theirs off for $200+ worth of work from Sig please explain to me the values. If the gun was say $450 with ffl and shipping, how much is it worth with the sig treatment?

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#43]
The value, to me anyway, is that I will have a 228 with a very unique history/story that will be verified mechanically sound by Sig.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The value, to me anyway, is that I will have a 228 with a very unique history/story that will be verified mechanically sound by Sig.
View Quote

Sounds like an awesome plan to me    

As an aside for anybody else interested -- CDNN also seems to have a bunch of PD trade in SIG's (lots of DAK guns ) - but some decent deals starting at around $450 if i recall correctly (Not 228's -  226's and 229's - all in .40 though)
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Got mine, and it looks good, outside finish is worn a lot, but all matching numbers, and the anodizing on the rails is barely worn, so it looks like it was carried a lot more than shot.  Pics to come later.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Got both of mine in.  Finish on both is quite worn - one of them looks almost sandblasted on the slide.  I am guessing it is from sand in holsters over many years of service.  Rails on both look great.  Both have some rattle in the frame to slide fit, but the barrels lock up rock solid.  Both are 1993 West German marked guns only 53 apart from each other in serial number.  Both are all matching (barrel, slide, frame) with the barrels being stamped matching.  In case you didn't know, you have to disassemble the gun to find the original stamped serial number on the barrel.  It is on the left side of the chamber and is hidden by the slide when assembled.  Both shoot pretty well with what ammo I had on hand.  Offhand at 30 yards, they kept all shots on a mini-IPSC steel target, even in rapid fire.  I didn't shoot for groups, but will later.  Had a couple light strikes on el-cheapo Tula ammo, but it still shot well.  Each gun has a Star of David stamped into the left side of the frame.

Overall, I can't complain.  I could wish they had a bit more finish, but they are a neat piece of history.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:54:25 AM EDT
[#47]
So, fun question... Anyone know a place to get a threaded barrel outside of Sig? their 229 threaded barrel is over $200. Hard to pay $200 for a gun I've only got $450 in.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#48]
I coated one of mine in graphite black cerakote and installed a new factory spring kit. The other will stay original.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I coated one of mine in graphite black cerakote and installed a new factory spring kit. The other will stay original. <a href="http://s344.photobucket.com/user/ff162162bfd/media/IMG_3542_zpshqfz7abx.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p355/ff162162bfd/IMG_3542_zpshqfz7abx.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s344.photobucket.com/user/ff162162bfd/media/FullSizeRender_zpsnlsuxsvy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p355/ff162162bfd/FullSizeRender_zpsnlsuxsvy.jpg</a>
View Quote

Great job!
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 3:42:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Great job!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I coated one of mine in graphite black cerakote and installed a new factory spring kit. The other will stay original. <a href="http://s344.photobucket.com/user/ff162162bfd/media/IMG_3542_zpshqfz7abx.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p355/ff162162bfd/IMG_3542_zpshqfz7abx.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s344.photobucket.com/user/ff162162bfd/media/FullSizeRender_zpsnlsuxsvy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p355/ff162162bfd/FullSizeRender_zpsnlsuxsvy.jpg</a>

Great job!

tell me about it, I like that a lot and may have to get the sig and the Beretta done in it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top