User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just posed a review and pics at my site.  Very impressed so far.  I'll know more in a couple of weeks after I run it through some classes.

Check it out http://www.blackfinmp.com/blog/2014/9/15/hk-vp9-review
View Quote

Nice review and photos! I laughed at the backwards ammo in the mag. It'll never die will it?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Nice review and photos! I laughed at the backwards ammo in the mag. It'll never die will it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just posed a review and pics at my site.  Very impressed so far.  I'll know more in a couple of weeks after I run it through some classes.

Nope!  I have a friend who doesn't know the history of that.  He called me to say I screwed up the photo.

I will have parts 2 and 3 of the review up in a couple of weeks.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Nope!  I have a friend who doesn't know the history of that.  He called me to say I screwed up the photo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Torture testing?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I sold my 9mm Range Officer to fund a new VP9. I dropped the Range Officer off to my buyer on Friday and picked up a VP9 on the way home. $619 plus tax was a little high compared to online prices, but I got to buy local and take it home the same day, so I didn't mind paying a bit more.  I spent Saturday making a couple of holsters and a mag pouch for it and finally got to the range today.

I put 100 rounds through it, doing FAST drills and one magazine of slow fire. So far I really like the VP9' the grip is as short as I can go and still get a full grip on the pistol. The mag release is just about perfect combined with the slide stop location, reloads are effortless. Accuracy was very good, but I was only shooting at 7 yards, I forgot to bring my prescription glasses, so there wasn't much point in shooting further this trip. As expected the gun ran just fine on a mixture of WWB 115s and  an assortment of other FMJs I had in a mixed box.

The only complaints I have are based around the sights. Ii got the basic model with 2 mags and the HK luminescent sights. I've noticed if the gun is left in a holster the rear sights are much brighter than the front, causing the eye to be drawn to the rear, even in bright daylight the rears light up, almost like an FO sight. I may try to fix this by applying some sight black to the rear sight, until I get some replacement sights and have HK install them. My other complaint with the sights would be that POI would seem to be the dot instead if the top of the front sight blade, which is causing me to shoot slightly low. That's the way the gun was designed, so it is more of a shooter issue then a hardware problem. So for me at least the gun will need new sights rather quickly.

Beyond that it was a lot of fun to shoot. I was getting better hits and times on the FAST drills then I was with my old 9mm 1911. Considering I have tens of thousands of rounds through the 1911 platform I think that says something for the VP9.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
<snip>
View Quote

Awesome! You did good on the price. Anything $650 and under is very fair.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, nice review and pics.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Torture testing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Torture testing?

I wouldn't say torture.  I did pay for it with my own money after all.  I have a couple of classes that I plan on running it through this weekend.  A review after 150 rounds is more of a first impression.  I should have over a thousand rounds through it after this weekend.  I will have a better understanding of how the gun performs then.  Follow our site on Twitter or Facebook to get the alert when the other parts of the review come out.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:24:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Just popped my HK cherry After shooting my buddy's VP9 on Saturday I was hooked so I went and picked one up today.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I just received my blade tech OWB for the VP9 today and it is an awesome fit! It will be a competition beast... Highly recommended..
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just popped my HK cherry After shooting my buddy's VP9 on Saturday I was hooked so I went and picked one up today.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx149/sconnieVLP/CCC5E31D-7E24-4E66-B549-716865151CFA_zpswjqfdvom.jpg
View Quote

That's sweet...my brother did the same thing after seeing mine.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell has froze over I now own a HK    

I have always stayed away from HK pistols and honestly had no plans to change but about two hours ago I stopped at Palmetto State Armory .
Needless to say I was there to buy a CZ SP-01 but the VP9 came home instead.  $619.00 in store.

I have never had anything against HK quality wise but I've always felt they didn't offer enough for the price IE  P30
Anyway this thing is about one of the ugliest pistols but it fits my hand like a glove even better than my beloved P01 or M&P.
 I will get to run some rounds this weekend
 Here it is with a CZ P01 not to much difference in size

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:58:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice pair you have there, the VP9 will surprise you. Mine shoots as accurate as my P01. I was shooting it Sunday with Walmart aluminum case ammo. They are tack drivers.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Took my VP9 out for the first time today. I started out at 10 yards, and my first group was ~ six inches low, but the shots were all in one jagged hole. I swapped out the grips as I felt like I didn't have enough to hang on to, and the POI shifted to my POA. Slid the target out to 20 yards and put five shots in a ~3" group. I was pleased. This thing is a shooter, that's for sure. As much as it pains me to say, I don't know how much my G19s are going to be carried/shot after buying it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:20:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Picked mine up today. Already had shot one before as well as knew when I first saw the gun announced, I'd be getting one. Love this gun.

My thoughts

The Good:
-Price point. At around $650 or less, HK has entered an entirely new market - and entered with a bombshell. I paid an insanely low price of $550 plus $30 2-day air shipping from Georgia Gun Store.
-The grip. Not only are the side panels and backstrap customizable, but the actual shape of the grip is an improvement over the P30. The pistol's grip is higher cut, and really "sucks" your hand up high on the pistol. The VP9's grip texturing is bigger than that on the P30 and gives you a lot of control. It really is perfect - not too abrasive but still gives you a generously tight grip.
-HK took everything they learned from their previous handguns and applied that knowledge in making the VP9.
-The bore axis is significantly lower than that of the P30. While it is higher than say a Glock, it is still relatively low and the higher upcut in the frame makes the bore axis seem even lower.
-The magazine release is higher off the trigger guard than the P30
-The slide release leverss have been minimized
-The muzzle does not have slanted cut like the P30, allowing for better light compatibility
-The barrel length and slide are longer than that on the P30, yet not as long as the P30L
-The handgun is tight as can be. No grip movement like on the HK45s and P30s, no clicky magazine release, and no rattling slide stop that is problematic on the HK45.
-The VP9 comes with luminescent metal sights that have just the right amount of air between them - compared to the white dotted sights with plastic housing often seen on competitors' offerings
-Front and rear cocking serrations with optional charging assists.
-How easy it is to rack the slide. HK's have always had the easiest slides to rack and with the new charging assist, it's even easier.
-Cocking indicator
-Light weight
-Lot's of support already on the market. Takes the same sights as the P30s/HK45s, will fit in a lot of the same holsters such as the SERPA, and takes the same magazines as the P30 - which they will have a 30rd extended mag out soon
-HK Quality
-HK Reliability
-HK Accuracy
-Takes down extremely easy and does not require pulling the trigger
-THE TRIGGER. This is hands-down the best trigger on a striker fired handgun, out of the box, on the market. The take is short and relatively smooth, the trigger breaks far forward, the reset is short, audible, and tactile, and the break is a crisp 5-6lbs - not too light. Does the Walther PPQ have a cleaner break? Maybe. The VP9 has 1 short jump of trigger creep before it breaks, as opposed to the 2 jumps of trigger creek found in Glocks. Here's the deal, I've fired/dry fired three different PPQs and three different VP9s. The first PPQ was just atrocious all around, the second had an excellent trigger that did in fact have a cleaner break than the VP9s, and the third PPQ was just pretty good. All three VP9's I've seen in person had the same exact trigger. Walther quality assurance issues aside, I still prefer the VP9 for the farther forward breaking trigger, short take, and most importantly, the 4lb trigger found on the Walther is just too light IMO.

The bad:
-The gun has more than twice the number of parts than a Glock does. I'm not sure why HK used the firing pin safety type that they did on the VP9, but it is fairly intimidating and unlike anything I've ever seen.
-The trigger/trigger guard bite my trigger finger. However, I normally shoot with gloves on so this really is not a factor for me.
-Capacity. The VP9 is a Glock 17 service sized handgun, however it only holds 15 rounds. This decision was made by the HK engineers designing the P30. Apparently they did this to increase magazine spring life, make it easier for the operator to insert a fully loaded magazine on a closed slide, and to make it easier to load the magazines. Personally, I'd rather have the option to fit 17 rounds in the magazine and if the user really carried about preserving magazine spring life or easier loading magazines, they could just download the magazines themselves. Nevertheless, the VP9 holds 15 rounds.

The ugly:
-There is none, this is a terrific pistol.

Bottom line is HK could have taken a P30, did a SIG and put a striker-fired mechanism in it, and sold it at the price point they are selling them at. Instead they took literally every single lesson they learned from their P30 and HK45 series, applied that knowledge plus additional innovations, and released the VP9 at a sub $650 retail price. It's no surprise why this gun has gotten the attention that it has. The VP9 is the best handgun HK has ever produced - by far - and it is amazing to me that it is about $300 less than that of a P30 (although I see those prices are falling now). The VP9 does virtually everything better than it's predecessor, yet at a much lower price.

Is the VP9 going to replace everyone's Glock 19 CCW? Has the VP9 made the Glock obsolete as well as every other handgun on the market? No and no. The VP9 is significantly bigger than the Glock 19, it's extremely close to the size of the Glock 17. The VP9 has not made Glock obsolete, the VP9 only comes in one size and one caliber - for now. For most people the Glock series of handguns will fit their needs best, followed by the M&P series - and that still holds true. However, where the VP9 comes into play is people looking for a fullsize 9mm. For most people the HK VP9 will fit their needs for a service sized 9mm better than any other handgun on the market.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Picked mine up today. Already had shot one before as well as knew when I first saw the gun announced, I'd be getting one. Love this gun.

http://s18.postimg.org/83n6nnpmh/Full_Size_Render.jpg

[span style='font-weight: bold;']My thoughts

The bad:
-The gun has more than twice the number of parts than a Glock does. I'm not sure why HK used the firing pin safety type that they did on the VP9, but it is fairly intimidating and unlike anything I've ever seen. This was discussed by the Grey Guns guys over on Sig Forum and they agreed with you. Initially. Apparently the overtravel can be adjusted to nothing without causing the gun to not function or defeating the FP safety, which happens with other striker guns when the trigger is tuned too much.
-The trigger/trigger guard bite my trigger finger. However, I normally shoot with gloves on so this really is not a factor for me. Ergonomics. It also is something that can be easily fixed
-Capacity. The VP9 is a Glock 17 service sized handgun, however it only holds 15 rounds. This decision was made by the HK engineers designing the P30. Apparently they did this to increase magazine spring life, make it easier for the operator to insert a fully loaded magazine on a closed slide, and to make it easier to load the magazines. Personally, I'd rather have the option to fit 17 rounds in the magazine and if the user really carried about preserving magazine spring life or easier loading magazines, they could just download the magazines themselves. Nevertheless, the VP9 holds 15 rounds. It has to do with magazine reliability. Companies have a lot of trouble shoving the max amount of rounds into the space given and it ends up being a real problem for the companies building their pistols. HK builds the best mags around and this is part of it. They said "f- it, we know better and we're not going to bother. At least this is what I've read, talked with about a former HK engineer, and observed during pistol design testing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s18.postimg.org/83n6nnpmh/Full_Size_Render.jpg

My thoughts

The bad:
-The gun has more than twice the number of parts than a Glock does. I'm not sure why HK used the firing pin safety type that they did on the VP9, but it is fairly intimidating and unlike anything I've ever seen. This was discussed by the Grey Guns guys over on Sig Forum and they agreed with you. Initially. Apparently the overtravel can be adjusted to nothing without causing the gun to not function or defeating the FP safety, which happens with other striker guns when the trigger is tuned too much.
-The trigger/trigger guard bite my trigger finger. However, I normally shoot with gloves on so this really is not a factor for me. Ergonomics. It also is something that can be easily fixed
-Capacity. The VP9 is a Glock 17 service sized handgun, however it only holds 15 rounds. This decision was made by the HK engineers designing the P30. Apparently they did this to increase magazine spring life, make it easier for the operator to insert a fully loaded magazine on a closed slide, and to make it easier to load the magazines. Personally, I'd rather have the option to fit 17 rounds in the magazine and if the user really carried about preserving magazine spring life or easier loading magazines, they could just download the magazines themselves. Nevertheless, the VP9 holds 15 rounds. [span style='color: red;']It has to do with magazine reliability. Companies have a lot of trouble shoving the max amount of rounds into the space given and it ends up being a real problem for the companies building their pistols. HK builds the best mags around and this is part of it. They said "f- it, we know better and we're not going to bother. At least this is what I've read, talked with about a former HK engineer, and observed during pistol design testing.

Thanks for the added information! I still consider them negative points though from my perspective.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Took a chance and ordered the LE model for $700 shipped from Botach Tactical despite their bad reviews. Just checked my order status and they shipped today after I had the FFL info sent yesterday and tracking says it should arrive friday. Excited to receive it and hopefully it turns out well.
Hope I can get to the range this weekend and try it out. This will be my first full size handgun.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I got a good LGS selling me the P30 mags for $35.00 EA

I'm now at 5 mags, I'm good now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I got mine today!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#20]
When I shoot my friends P30 I get a lot of finger pinch caused by the trough under the trigger. When I got my VP9 I noticed some discomfort but it was different and not as pronounced.

I realized what was bothering me was the slight ridge on the trigger safety, the portion of the trigger that protrudes when the gun is cocked.

If you look closely (on an unloaded cocked gun) there is a ridge on the front of the trigger safety. I simply ran a dremmel over that ridge for about a second and the ridge is gone and so is the discomfort.

I'm sure you could do the same with a fine file or even some fine grit sandpaper.

Anyway worked for me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When I shoot my friends P30 I get a lot of finger pinch caused by the trough under the trigger. When I got my VP9 I noticed some discomfort but it was different and not as pronounced.

I realized what was bothering me was the slight ridge on the trigger safety, the portion of the trigger that protrudes when the gun is cocked.

If you look closely (on an unloaded cocked gun) there is a ridge on the front of the trigger safety. I simply ran a dremmel over that ridge for about a second and the ridge is gone and so is the discomfort.

I'm sure you could do the same with a fine file or even some fine grit sandpaper.

Anyway worked for me.
View Quote

pic? im stopping by my LGS to either buy, or have him order me one
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#22]
2 days and over 300 flawless rounds later (200rds today in less than an hour), I've found my new favorite pistol.  Points naturally for me and easy hits at 50yds on a 1/4 scale Tacstrike target.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Woooo, picked mine up yesterday

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm waiting for the VP45 Tactical version
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Someone enjoys German engineering. HK handgun and a BMW steering wheel behind it

Not to get off topic but what model BMW?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto. But might need one of these while i wait. Or a 5in PPQ. Some great stuff coming out of Germany. U.S. gun makers need to wake up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ditto. But might need one of these while i wait. Or a 5in PPQ. Some great stuff coming out of Germany. U.S. gun makers need to wake up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, right?

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Got mine today. Ran though 400 rounds though it and I am not a happy camper. False reset needs to go bye-bye.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:52:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Got mine today. Ran though 400 rounds though it and I am not a happy camper. False reset needs to go bye-bye.

http://youtu.be/_gotHPKaBbE

View Quote

Did you see my post in the other thread about it? It seems to be the striker safety.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:23:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm not having false reset issues. But then again, I'm not finger fucking it that way either.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Has anyone experienced this while actually shooting their sidearm or just while finger f@#€ ing it in their living room and posting it on YouTube?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Did you see my post in the other thread about it? It seems to be the striker safety.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So will they fix it?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#33]
I saw one pop up for sale on a local forum NIB for $500. Messages the individual saying I was interested. I was the third person but everyone else wanted to meet on the weekend.

Needles to say I scored a NIB VP9 for $500. No night sights or extra mag but that's ok I have 15 or so P30 mags already.

Turns out I knew the person who posted it for sale too as he's a customer at the shop I work at. Worked out nicely.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So will they fix it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So will they fix it?

My understanding is that is a slightly out of spec trigger bar, which is a quick and easy fix, which HK will do with a very fast turnaround. Send it in.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So will they fix it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So will they fix it?

Call them and ask. Again, I don't think it's an actual problem. It's just the way that wedge shaped piece on the trigger bar interacts with the safety.

But see what they have to say, it can't hurt.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Has anyone experienced this while actually shooting their sidearm or just while finger f@#€ ing it in their living room and posting it on YouTube?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never experienced it, when actually shooting it and even doing a slow trigger reset. The only way I've ever gotten it to work, was by using the two finger trick, like in the video. This is a non-issue, to me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok thanks.  I've only put about 150-200 rounds through mine, with no problems. I reset during recoil and all is well for me. I think sometimes people see something online and get to ocd and try to over analyze a non issue into a problem when such problem never existed until they manufactured one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

I like how you need to insert a finger into the trigger guard to make this happen.

Get back with us after you shoot a video using live ammo and experiencing the same "false reset " non-issue.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Took my VP9 to the range yesterday, functioned 100% with various types of ammo.  Couple of observations, it was a bit snappier than I thought it would be with +p ammo, nothing serious though. I also left the medium backstrap on it, and I didn't like it.  The hump really felt like it was digging into the soft part of my palm and was a bit uncomfortable during firing, so I'm swapping it out for the small backstrap.  I also had some difficulty with my thumb hitting the slide release so it didn't lock back, but I've had that problem with numerous brands so that's on me, not the pistol.  Trigger was excellent, no reset issues as reported by others here, very accurate and fun to shoot.  I'm definitely impressed with the gun, looking forward to making it my EDC once I get a few more rounds through it and I get a little more comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I also had some difficulty with my thumb hitting the slide release so it didn't lock back, but I've had that problem with numerous brands so that's on me, not the pistol.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I also had some difficulty with my thumb hitting the slide release so it didn't lock back, but I've had that problem with numerous brands so that's on me, not the pistol.  

Poor design is poor design, you shouldn't have to make changes to adapt to it.  The fact other brands also make the same error doesn't excuse it.
I also left the medium backstrap on it, and I didn't like it.  The hump really felt like it was digging into the soft part of my palm and was a bit uncomfortable during firing, so I'm swapping it out for the small backstrap.

I tried the small and I think it's still too big... thinking about getting a spare and whittle it down.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#41]
No, it's the user making that mistake. Numerous other companies make a user friendly gun, everything is where you want it to be, and not where you think it should be. The problem is, you are stuck inside a bubble, pressing against the frame isn't the only way to shoot, nor is it the end all in performance. I can get the same groups and same speed without doing that. It's the shooter and will always be the shooter, and not the gun for the most part. People like the late Bob Munden or Taran Butler can take any gun (Glock, HK, 1911, M&P, CZ...doesn't matter), and make them work better and more accurately ONE HANDED than you or me could ever do with two hands and not on the clock.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Took my VP9 to the range yesterday, functioned 100% with various types of ammo.  Couple of observations, it was a bit snappier than I thought it would be with +p ammo, nothing serious though. I also left the medium backstrap on it, and I didn't like it.  The hump really felt like it was digging into the soft part of my palm and was a bit uncomfortable during firing, so I'm swapping it out for the small backstrap.  I also had some difficulty with my thumb hitting the slide release so it didn't lock back, but I've had that problem with numerous brands so that's on me, not the pistol.  Trigger was excellent, no reset issues as reported by others here, very accurate and fun to shoot.  I'm definitely impressed with the gun, looking forward to making it my EDC once I get a few more rounds through it and I get a little more comfortable with it.
View Quote

I am using the small back strap, small left side, and medium right.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Poor design is poor design, you shouldn't have to make changes to adapt to it.  The fact other brands also make the same error doesn't excuse it.
I tried the small and I think it's still too big... thinking about getting a spare and whittle it down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also left the medium backstrap on it, and I didn't like it.  The hump really felt like it was digging into the soft part of my palm and was a bit uncomfortable during firing, so I'm swapping it out for the small backstrap.

Thank you for the vote of confidence, but it really is me.  I have a bad habit of squeezing the thumb of my shooting hand against the frame, rather than laying more over the top of my support hand thumb, especially when my hands get sweaty.  I've cured myself of the issue on Glocks and Sigs, but the VP9 is new to me so I just need to shoot it some more.  I will admit that the slide release could be a little smaller and more flush, but it's not going to be a difficult issue to overcome.  If I can do it on a USP compact with a gigantic slide release, I can do it on the VP9.  

As far as the backstrap, I was hoping it wouldn't be like the P2000 backstraps, but it was more similar than I thought it would be.  I used the small backstraps on the P2000 as well and that was fine, that big hump on the medium backstrap just didn't fit me well.  I'm going to give it another try with the small backstrap, I should be good to go, and maybe I'll play with the side panels as well.  I appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:40:38 AM EDT
[#44]
OKAY ... so I am about to break down and buy this VP9

I will be coming from a M&P9 Pro CORE (2014 built all stock) .....

Are there any guys here who have came from the M&P9 or have both and can give some feedback on how they like the VP9 as compared to the M&P9???

Thanks so much :)
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, poor grip is poor grip.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Are there any guys here who have came from the M&P9 or have both and can give some feedback on how they like the VP9 as compared to the M&P9???

View Quote
I had the M&P9 VTAC and there's not much of a difference with ergo's, but coming from a stock POV, the VP9 need's no extra love, just a good, quality holster. But as much as I loved the VTAC, I hated having to go buy an Apex which in my opinion, should be as standard on all of their M&P line. I have medium hands, I had to install an extended mag release. With the VP9, I find the paddle release as superior to the push button, wonderful stock trigger, great placement of the slide lock, and very accurate. The only bad I see is two less rounds, but that is subjective and it doesn't get sand in my mangina as it may or may not do with others.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Thumbs forward" is a poor grip?  "Thumbs up" hasn't been a good grip for decades.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

"Thumbs forward" is a poor grip?  "Thumbs up" hasn't been a good grip for decades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can still do thumbs forward, the problem is that you cannot shoot any gun that doesn't let you press against the frame. Those companies are not wrong, it's you. Improvise, adapt, and move along.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I had the M&P9 VTAC and there's not much of a difference with ergo's, but coming from a stock POV, the VP9 need's no extra love, just a good, quality holster. But as much as I loved the VTAC, I hated having to go buy an Apex which in my opinion, should be as standard on all of their M&P line. I have medium hands, I had to install an extended mag release. With the VP9, I find the paddle release as superior to the push button, wonderful stock trigger, great placement of the slide lock, and very accurate. The only bad I see is two less rounds, but that is subjective and it doesn't get sand in my mangina as it may or may not do with others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply with the information. I have been hating the fact I have $1K in my M&P9 CORE (has reflex optic added) that I would have to drop another $150 for a trigger that this gun should already have!!! Plus I am no gunsmith or anything close so I would have to pay another 100 bucks to have it installed I'm sure.

Seems like the VP9 even minus the trigger issue from what I hear is superior overall to anything M&P, and for sure superior out of the box.

I love the ergos of the M&P and that is the ONLY reason I went with the M&P a few months ago for my first gun over Glock, XD, etc. etc. and unfortunately at the time the VP9 was not released and available yet .... but damn the VP9 is Just As Good if not better then the M&P as far as feel and from the reviews I read it seems like it feels good it is the top notch striker fired gun over anything right now (subjective I'm sure but it overwhelmingly seems to be the consensus right now).
I have the cash for one more gun before the year is over and I have tossed around going with a 45 caliber and getting the M&P45 but man I really would like to stick with one caliber so my though is going with the VP9 and staying in the 9 Mil arena (hey if it's good enough for the entire FBI then it's good enough for me :) ).

For some reason I feel like I will shoot much better with the VP9 ... just felt real good in the hand (though the MP does as well of course) and knowing how amazing HK products and reading countless Glowing reviews I would think I couldn't go wrong.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You can still do thumbs forward, the problem is that you cannot shoot any gun that doesn't let you press against the frame. Those companies are not wrong, it's you. Improvise, adapt, and move along.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your strong hand thumb can't touch the frame? How is that the "thumbs forward" grip? How do you shoot with one hand if your thumb doesn't touch the frame?  How do you shoot a pistol with a safety?  

I think it's more likely that (euro especially) gun manufacturers aren't clued in to modern shooting practices and still think people  shoot pistols with the thumb down behind the trigger. If you look at how they design the frames that seems obvious. That and pandering to the gun shop clueless who want that easy thumb slide release to feel macho.
Page / 14
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top