Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2015 5:18:32 PM EDT
I've got about $500 for a new handgun and I'm trying to decide between these two guns. I currently have a P226, 1911, and Ruger MKIII. Which one of these would you buy? I was interested in the SP2022 for it's similarity to my 226.

ETA:  I picked up a Gen 3 19 for $519 OTD last week.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a G17 and like Glocks, but the 2022 will be my next hammer fired pistol. Unless you want a striker fired pistol, I'd get the Sig if I were you.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own a G17 and like Glocks, but the 2022 will be my next hammer fired pistol. Unless you want a striker fired pistol, I'd get the Sig if I were you.
View Quote

I foolish let my P2022 9x19mm go.  
Glocks have come. Glocks have gone.
I do intend on getting another P2022 if that tells you anything.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the Glock 19.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get the Glock 19.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Glock 19.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Well it really depends.

First, what is the purpose of the pistol?

Second, how good are you with the DA/SA trigger?  Do you practice the first shot a lot?  If you're good with the SIG and like the DA/SA, stick with it unless you just want something different. The SP2022 is a great pistol for the price (and if you're paying $500, you're overpaying by at least $100).  

If you're looking at going striker fired, make sure you try the Glock out before you buy. If the grip angle works for you, buy one. If not, start like looking at the M&Ps. If you're willing to spend another $25-50, look at the PPQ and the P320. For another bit more you can look at the VP9 (but I like the other two better).

I don't like the Glock angle, so I don't own any. Can't argue with those that do. I started with the SIG DA/SA and shoot it well. I bought a SP2022 before the PPQ. I do like the SP2022 but I'm quickly liking the PPQ better. Had I bought the PPQ first, I might not have gotten the SP2022.

Anyway between the two choices, you'll get a fine pistol either way. It'll come down to whether you want striker or hammer really.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Glock is what u seek.  I've had both.  Personally the G17 fits me better so that's what I run.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Hammer wins striker every time!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Go Sig.  Love mine.  Inherently safer than the Glock...but mags are a little more expensive.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go Sig.  Love mine.  Inherently safer than the Glock...but mags are a little more expensive.
View Quote

If you think for one second that a lack of safety and discipline is ok with a hammer fired or even a manual safety gun, you're out of your mind.  You'll ND with a glock as soon as you'll ND with a SIG.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Also going to throw the G17 into the mix.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
For me, the Sig. I can't shoot Glocks for crap. I love my Sigs though.

That being said, if I could shoot Glocks, the 19 is the absolutely perfect size for a gun and still carry 15 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#13]
You already have two hammer fire handguns. It's time for a strike fire. Go for the 19. After the Glock 19 go for a Grand Power.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:42:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well it really depends.

First, what is the purpose of the pistol?

Second, how good are you with the DA/SA trigger?  Do you practice the first shot a lot?  If you're good with the SIG and like the DA/SA, stick with it unless you just want something different. The SP2022 is a great pistol for the price (and if you're paying $500, you're overpaying by at least $100).  

If you're looking at going striker fired, make sure you try the Glock out before you buy. If the grip angle works for you, buy one. If not, start like looking at the M&Ps. If you're willing to spend another $25-50, look at the PPQ and the P320. For another bit more you can look at the VP9 (but I like the other two better).

I don't like the Glock angle, so I don't own any. Can't argue with those that do. I started with the SIG DA/SA and shoot it well. I bought a SP2022 before the PPQ. I do like the SP2022 but I'm quickly liking the PPQ better. Had I bought the PPQ first, I might not have gotten the SP2022.

Anyway between the two choices, you'll get a fine pistol either way. It'll come down to whether you want striker or hammer really.
View Quote

This  
It's not on your list, but if your thread topic was a wrestling match, I'd book the P320 to run down to the ring, destroy everyone, and leave
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:33:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Glock 19 all day long.  The Model 19 was my first Glock pistol and that started the sickness.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Glock 19 is the answer you seek
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you think for one second that a lack of safety and discipline is ok with a hammer fired or even a manual safety gun, you're out of your mind.  You'll ND with a glock as soon as you'll ND with a SIG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used the word inherently in regards to "inherent in the design."  Never said anything about a lack of safety and dsiciipline.  The 4 rules apply at all times (3 rules with the pistols in question as neither has a manual safety on them).  With the Sig you have the decocker on it so you not walking around with a cocked weapon with out manual safety engaged as well as the other design features.....trigger-bar disconnect , automatic firing pin lock and a hammer safety intercept notch.

My understanding is the Glock has none of those....please feel free to enlighten me if I am incorrect.

as far as safety and discipline.....no matter how conciencious we are about the rules....sometimes shit does happen.  weapon gets dropped, etc...

I am not saying the Glock is a bad weapon....it would not have the following it does if it was a piece of crap.

Just stating my preference for the SIG and why.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I used the word inherently in regards to "inherent in the design."  Never said anything about a lack of safety and dsiciipline.  The 4 rules apply at all times (3 rules with the pistols in question as neither has a manual safety on them).  With the Sig you have the decocker on it so you not walking around with a cocked weapon with out manual safety engaged as well as the other design features.....trigger-bar disconnect , automatic firing pin lock and a hammer safety intercept notch.

My understanding is the Glock has none of those....please feel free to enlighten me if I am incorrect.

as far as safety and discipline.....no matter how conciencious we are about the rules....sometimes shit does happen.  weapon gets dropped, etc...

I am not saying the Glock is a bad weapon....it would not have the following it does if it was a piece of crap.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The glock is safe.  The striker is at rest when the pistol is loaded in addition to a firing pin block and drop safety.  It doesn't have a decocker because there is nothing to decock.  When the trigger resets the trigger bar and the striker are in contact, but the striker is not charged and there is no stored energy to decock like a SA/DA gun.

That's not to say the sig is not safe, cause it is - but it is not superior.  They are both "safe".

--

I vote G19.  Perfectly sized do it all 9mm with huge availability of cheap parts - now to include Magpul G19 mags.  I CCW mine as well as shoot them in local matches.  

G19:  It's not the best at one thing, but it's great at everything.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:43:13 AM EDT
[#19]
If it was me I would get the G17 especially if you like full size handguns.  If you plan to carry I would get the G19 because it is easier to conceal if you CC.
I like my G17/34 more than my G19 but carry my G19.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

as far as safety and discipline.....no matter how conciencious we are about the rules....sometimes shit does happen.  weapon gets dropped, etc...  WHAT?  With a mentality like that yeah shit does happen.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

as far as safety and discipline.....no matter how conciencious we are about the rules....sometimes shit does happen.  weapon gets dropped, etc...  WHAT?  With a mentality like that yeah shit does happen.  

If you follow the rules of gun safety no pistol is inherently safer or unsafe.  The only thing that makes a firearm unsafe is the operator of that firearm.
Most all modern handguns have drop safeties that keeps them from going off when dropped.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The glock is safe.  The striker is at rest when the pistol is loaded in addition to a firing pin block and drop safety.  It doesn't have a decocker because there is nothing to decock.  When the trigger resets the trigger bar and the striker are in contact, but the striker is not charged and there is no stored energy to decock like a SA/DA gun.

That's not to say the sig is not safe, cause it is - but it is not superior.  They are both "safe".

--

I vote G19.  Perfectly sized do it all 9mm with huge availability of cheap parts - now to include Magpul G19 mags.  I CCW mine as well as shoot them in local matches.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

--

Not true. Striker is partially cocked.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Rest or partially tensioned makes no difference because the FP block prevents the FP from going forward until your booger finger presses the bang switch.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I had a SP2022, loved it.  Only reason I traded it off was it's similarity to my 229.

Up your budget by $50.  Then check out the newer version of the CZ P07, and the Sig P320 as well.  The P320 has better ergos and trigger than the glock IMO, and the cz offers da/sa with a decocker or a swap to a manual safety, included.

The Smith M&Ps are outstanding guns also, but will need an aftermarket trigger to be as good as the sig 320.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Up your budget by $50.  Then check out the newer version of the CZ P07, and the Sig P320 as well.
View Quote

He has a budget of $500.  He should easily be able to get a P07 or a P320 for sub $500 OTD
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I prefer the SP2022 to all other polymer framed handguns I've tried. Build quality is top notch, accuracy is superb for a combat sidearm and reliability is beyond reproach. I've read several articles and gun forum threads where it is theorized that the SIG Pro is a more durable design than the P226. I'm not sure most owners will ever put enough rounds down range to test that theory, but It does build confidence in your weapon.

Occasionally I read where someone posts that the SIG Pro "just didn't fit their hand." There are 3 different grip modules available (it comes with medium and small) as well as 2 different triggers available (short reach and standard). It's hard for me to imagine a situation where an owner can't perfectly customize the fit to their liking with what's available from SIG.

Lastly, I read that some people don't like the SIG sights which are supplied with the Pro. They're designed for Euro police departments and shoot low for many. I didn't like them myself and promptly ordered new sights that allow my normal "hold' or combat picture. Honestly, this is my biggest beef with this gun and I'm not sure why SIG does this. Possibly a way to sell additional sights on a low profit gun?

ETA: I meant to add that there's a huge gap in the guns you currently own...no magnum revolver.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Do you shoot Glocks well? I recently got rid of all my Glocks because I shoot circles around them with M&Ps, never again will I go back to a Glock.

I also have an FNX-9 that I like pretty well, just need to get used the DA/SA thing...if a sig got drunk and lowered its standards enough to sleep with an ugly Glock the baby would be an FNX.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Id look for a VP9 on the EE or used boards right now.

But out of those I would have to choose the 19. The Sig is a decent pistol and all and my buddy has one and I shoot it well, but im more of striker fired guy for everyday use.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Sig all the way.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Got the 19 for $519 OTD.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Got the 19 for $519 OTD.
<a href="http://s280.photobucket.com/user/7lf10/media/31A0EAA2-3737-4415-92F6-01E21459A34A_zpsgdbdight.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/7lf10/31A0EAA2-3737-4415-92F6-01E21459A34A_zpsgdbdight.jpg</a>
View Quote

Well played sir...well played.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got the 19 for $519 OTD.
<a href="http://s280.photobucket.com/user/7lf10/media/31A0EAA2-3737-4415-92F6-01E21459A34A_zpsgdbdight.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/7lf10/31A0EAA2-3737-4415-92F6-01E21459A34A_zpsgdbdight.jpg</a>

I like the gun a lot, now I need some new sights and a light.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got the 19 for $519 OTD.

Gen3 19 > everything else

Get some HDs and an X300U.  You're welcome.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got the 19 for $519 OTD.

I'll probably get a TLR1 for half the price of the Surefire, and maybe the Wilson Vickers battlesights.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got the 19 for $519 OTD.

You also need more mags and perhaps ammo...I do not know what your current ammo fort status is...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You also need more mags and perhaps ammo...I do not know what your current ammo fort status is...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got the 19 for $519 OTD.

Yes I will be buying some 17rd and 33rd mags, and some ammo.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Got the 19 for $519 OTD.
View Quote

Everybody should have one of these because of the Apocalypse.

Non technical picture removed - Maynard
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#38]
G19 is the to the combat handgun as the leatherman tool is to multi tools.

If I only had one handgun it would be a g19.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#39]
I had one of the 9mm SP2022s with the internal extractor, one of my favorite guns. Sold it and regret it to this day.

I currently have a Swiss police hand-in SP2009 (it's just as nice).

I also have the LAV G19.

Can't go wrong with any of them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#40]
G19 all day everyday

If you wanted a striker fired sig.. Sig 320.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Got the 19 for $519 OTD.
View Quote

Good choice. Though from the three you were choosing from there wasn't a bad apple in the bunch.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Get the Glock 19.
View Quote

i have all of said firearms,

the 2022 has a really different feel than the 226.

i would go 19 or 17 unless your dead set on it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'll probably get a TLR1 for half the price of the Surefire, and maybe the Wilson Vickers battlesights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got the 19 for $519 OTD.

Nah save for the X300U. Had both. It's no comparison. The X300Us can be had sub $200. If you can only afford one surefire light that's the one to get. Rather have one of them even if I could buy 10 TLRs for the same price
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I noticed if I grab the slide near the muzzle and move it side to side it has a lot of play and makes a click clack noise when shaken. Normal for Glocks?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#45]
If it click clacks after pulling the trigger, that is what you want to hear. The striker should be moving freely. Sounds normal to me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If it click clacks after pulling the trigger, that is what you want to hear. The striker should be moving freely. Sounds normal to me.
View Quote

It's the slide that makes the noise when shaken side to side. I can move the slide near the muzzle with my hand side to side.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's the slide that makes the noise when shaken side to side. I can move the slide near the muzzle with my hand side to side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Definitely more magazines are needed.  So much more convenient when shooting at the range with a bunch of magazines already loaded up.  I like Warren Tactical and Heinie two dot vertical night sights.  Just my preference.  Surefire is the brand I've always went for for years in regards to weapon lights.  I have a Surefire X300 and it is the bomb.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Hard to go wrong with the G19
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I got to shoot it today. Shot 130 FMJ and 36 old Hydrashoks. No malfunctions or stoppages. I really like how the gun shoots, but I was shooting a little left. Nothing some dry firing can't fix.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top