Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/29/2014 4:37:55 PM EDT
For emergency/disaster planning, I am considering best options considering utility, cost, ease of learning for non-shooters.   I already shoot .45, but non-shooters can find it intimidating. The poll provides the options.  Let me know what you think!   Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Several of the choices are so similar as to be virtually the same.

Maybe there should be some good used S&W .38 caliber revolvers on the list of choices.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]
none of the above - .38/.357 revolvers - Ruger GP100, SP101, S&W K frames (maybe some steel J frames, too)
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]
First and second posts both nail it.  A revolver in .38 or .357 would be my choice as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Used 19.  It'll take 15 round and 17 round mags.  Plus, Glock parts are so easy to find and some are even interchangeable between calibers.  Hell, my carry AND HD gun are a used 19.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Have a .22 pistol to get them on board and train the fundamentals and is fun at the same time. Both M&P and CZ have those types that makes transitioning to the real ones a whole lot easier. Out of those two, I'd go with either or, user preference trumps whether its a DA/DA or a striker.

You can also do the above with a 1911 if you so choose.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Used 19.  It'll take 15 round and 17 round mags.  Plus, Glock parts are so easy to find and some are even interchangeable between calibers.  Hell, my carry AND HD gun are a used 19.
View Quote
How would parts be easier to find in a situation where people will hoard their stuff? Let's be on planet earth, please.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd go with Glocks because they're very reliable, very easy to maintain, and very easy to learn (not much to the manual of arms).  I'd also personally go there because I'm most comfortable shooting and maintaining them.  If I was an M&P guy, I'd give the same answer for M&P's.  

I'd go with a fleet of G17's and / or G19's with a bunch of G17 mags.

Most importantly, training is key.  Pistols are especially dangerous / easy for an uneducated shooter to kill themselves or you.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
No offense to family but I wouldn't want folks that aren't trained running around with a pistol. Easier to train a nob with a long gun than a pistol.  Load up on cheap 870's and buy reduced recoil slugs.  Cheap lever actions another option.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
none of the above - .38/.357 revolvers - Ruger GP100, SP101, S&W K frames (maybe some steel J frames, too)
View Quote

No way would I give a new shooter a DA revolver to shoot for self defense. YMMV

Police trade in Glocks from AIM or elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I voted G17.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I voted for used 9mm Glock. As others have noted, common parts,mags, reliable etc.

On a somewhat related note, I'd been searching for a used S&W model 10/64 for my mom for self defense house gun. She wasn't comfortable with pulling the slide on a 19/17 even though I taught her the "hold the slide push the frame" technique. For a few months I hit up the 4-5 local shops I like, couldnt find anything reasonable. I ended up with a Walther PPX from CDNN for $279, bought one as a beater for myself too. Lots of mim parts but its easy to operate, impossible to get slide bite and has a nice trigger. Hard to beat for the money
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:46:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a S&W M&P 22 Compact for training, then a S&W M&P 9 and/or 9c when everyone is up to snuff.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Buy a S&W M&P 22 Compact for training, then a S&W M&P 9 and/or 9c when everyone is up to snuff.
View Quote

Maybe we read the OP differently.
I read it as "I want to keep some handguns in my safe so when zombies/katrina/ferguson happens I can hand my cousin a loaded weapon to protect himself/our homestead/convoy".

Are you reading it as "what gun should I get and take my family to the range with and train 2-3 times and become proficient and so when things go south, we can all be ready"?

I see no room for a M&P 22 compact in this discussion but, as always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Revolvers are very simplistic which lends itself to new shooters, the trigger has more of a learning curve than a striker fire or SAO gun but its battery of arms are very easy to pick up.

You don't need to learn how to properly press check to see if the gun is chambered, no worry of slide bite/hammer bite, with proper grip selection in a k or j frame revolver you could easily make it fit any hand where as a semi auto will only ever be as small as it's mag well, no "fear" of flying brass that many women with low cut shirts can/will develop a flinch from experiencing a round lodging itself inside their cleavage, a failure drill (outside of the firearm itself breaking or a bullet jumping the crimp) just requires them to pull the trigger again, no slide to rack that can be hard for weak handed people, no slide to push out of battery from mishandling or improper chambering, pretty much anything outside a squib will fire in a revolver which allows you to train even the most recoil sensitive people, no magazines to stock pile which can range from $8 to $60 depending on selected handgun (you can opt for speedloaders and speed strips of course if you desire so with a revolver), and the list goes on.

Is it the perfect handgun? Far from it, the revolver suffers from many short comings that are well documented. What it does lose in proficiency and efficiency vs a semi auto it well makes up for in ease and versatility.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#15]
You can find cheap used Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How would parts be easier to find in a situation where people will hoard their stuff? Let's be on planet earth, please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More common = easier to find.  Math.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd go with police trade-in guns in whatever flavor is affordable and available.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I read it as "I want to keep some handguns in my safe so when zombies/katrina/ferguson happens I can hand my cousin a loaded weapon to protect himself/our homestead/convoy".

Are you reading it as "what gun should I get and take my family to the range with and train 2-3 times and become proficient and so when things go south, we can all be ready"?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I read it more like you did, but I guess I don't believe in handing "non-shooters" semi-auto pistols for self-defense use without first doing some training in their safe handling and manual of arms. Being prepared sometimes takes a wee bit of effort, IMHO. Of course, YMMV.

I'd just buy the M&P 22 Compact 'cuz it's fun as shit to shoot and you could also teach a few "non-shooters" how to be OK with a pistol with it, as a side benefit. :-)
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#19]
The family members who already know how to shoot well get a Glock, just like they are used to.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find where in a SHTF situation? I can find parts for my modern guns too, now if you were use your argument for say, a C&R type then I'd agree with you. But during a SHTF, who in their right mind will give you or sell you their parts?

Edit - inflammatory statements are not needed here - Maynard
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Glock 17. I like other pistols better for myself, but ease of use, recoil, and capacity are quite good for the size/weight.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Find where in a SHTF situation? I can find parts for my modern guns too, now if you were use your argument for say, a C&R type then I'd agree with you. But during a SHTF, who in their right mind will give you or sell you their parts? That math of yours is common core, bud. Useless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Find where in a SHTF situation? I can find parts for my modern guns too, now if you were use your argument for say, a C&R type then I'd agree with you. But during a SHTF, who in their right mind will give you or sell you their parts? That math of yours is common core, bud. Useless.

Probably referring to odds of getting whole or damaged guns from the deceased or their dwellings, or even happening upon them if you get there ahead of the other scavengers. More end of the world than hurricane/earthquake/short term event.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Probably referring to odds of getting whole or damaged guns from the deceased or their dwellings, or even happening upon them if you get there ahead of the other scavengers. More end of the world than hurricane/earthquake/short term event.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too much tinfoil for me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Since they hit thee market no other gun has had sales even close to cumulative sales of Glock since the 80s

For that reason pick a Glock
You are more likely to run across other Glocks in the wild
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Since they hit thee market no other gun has had sales even close to cumulative sales of Glock since the 80s

For that reason pick a Glock
You are more likely to run across other Glocks in the wild
View Quote
Glock also practically gave away Glocks at fire sale prices to LE. It's called knowing how to sell a product. Everyone wants what LE or the mil has, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and it makes good money.

You pick a gun based on its performance to the user, and what is subjective to the user, not just because Tom, Dick, and Harry have one. They don't work for me, so your logic is not sound.

Glocks in the wild...reality is not fallout scavenging.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#26]
G19 (or 17)

- Last Forever
- Cheap / Plentiful Parts
- Easy to shoot

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Too much tinfoil for me.
View Quote

Fantastic retort to a legitimate point.  You don't have to like Glocks, but you also don't have to get butt-hurt when someone suggests them for practical reasons.  Let's say you have a parts breaking on your handgun.  You can't honestly tell me that you'd have a better chance fixing it on, say, a Ruger SR9 then you would on a G17/G22.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Fantastic retort to a legitimate point.  You don't have to like Glocks, but you also don't have to get butt-hurt when someone suggests them for practical reasons.  Let's say you have a parts breaking on your handgun.  You can't honestly tell me that you'd have a better chance fixing it on, say, a Ruger SR9 then you would on a G17/G22.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too much tinfoil for me.

Parts break? As easy as using MidwayUSA or Brownells

Next?

Practical? Knocking out roll pins isn't rocket science.

Conclusion?

It wasn't legitimate, it was Fallout scavenging fantasy dreaming.

Look, there's no such thing as a bad gun, but there is such a thing as dishonesty. Just say you're into Glocks because everything is cheaper for you, something that is logistical in nature and subjective to the user as well. It still doesn't legitimately make it the best. If it was the best, I'd have a ton of them. But they are not the best to me, and I'm not alone in saying that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The idea is to get the parts ahead of time. Once the balloon goes up availability of everything should be considered nonexistent unless you already have it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The idea is to get the parts ahead of time. Once the balloon goes up availability of everything should be considered nonexistent unless you already have it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, the sidearm should not be of concern then, the primary is of concern. I have spare BCG's, spare trigger control groups, spare barrels, a few spare uppers, and enough to make a spare upper if I need to.

Mags and ammo for the back up which is the sidearm to me. I have spare barrels and springs. Physics, it happens. Going full paranoia and living a fantasy off of stripping guns from the wastelands is not going to happen.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Honestly, the sidearm should not be of concern then, the primary is of concern. I have spare BCG's, spare trigger control groups, spare barrels, a few spare uppers, and enough to make a spare upper if I need to.

Mags and ammo for the back up which is the sidearm to me. I have spare barrels and springs. Physics, it happens. Going full paranoia and living a fantasy off of stripping guns from the wastelands is not going to happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll agree with you on that. But it is pretty easy to get some common parts for your sidearms too. Recoil spring assembly as you say will wear out over time and they are pretty cheap and small so they don't take up a lot of space. I also have a handful of extractors because of one were to break the gun would be useless and it is a easy fix.

Of course the easiest pile of extra parts is a spare gun!

You are right that this a lot of the arguments here are logistical in nature, but given that we are talking about hypothetically outfitting other family members, it may be important to consider logistics.

I think the best answer would be duplicates of what you use, since you should already have mags and parts for that.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'll agree with you on that. But it is pretty easy to get some common parts for your sidearms too. Recoil spring assembly as you say will wear out over time and they are pretty cheap and small so they don't take up a lot of space. I also have a handful of extractors because of one were to break the gun would be useless and it is a easy fix.

You are right that this a lot of the arguments here are logistical in nature, but given that we are talking about hypothetically outfitting other family members, it may be important to consider logistics.

I think the best answer would be duplicates of what you use, since you should already have mags and parts for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this is why I like talking to you, you're grounded in reality. One of the very few Glock users I actually enjoy conversing with.

Have a good night, sir.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Next?

Conclusion?

Look, there's no such thing as a bad gun, but there is such a thing as dishonesty. Just say you're into Glocks because everything is cheaper for you, something that is logistical in nature and subjective to the user as well. It still doesn't legitimately make it the best. If it was the best, I'd have a ton of them. But they are not the best to me, and I'm not alone in saying that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too much tinfoil for me.

Next?

Conclusion?

The whole SHTF situation we're discussing is basically a scavenging fantasy dream...  There are plenty of bad guns out there.  And I'm not into Glocks because the parts are cheap.  I actually like them for their weight, simplicity, capacity, size, soft recoil, parts commonality, and the fact that they tend to last forever.  And I only own one Glock vs. 3 M&Ps, so about that whole fanboy thing...
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#34]
To be honest probably none of those, I would look at a Ruger in 9mm.  I think you will save money on a new one, and it will last a life time.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Based off your poll choices, this will be the one time I would recommend a glock.

But probably not for the reasons others are.

The glock is a lowest common denominator pistol.   Like in kindergarten everyone gets the big fat pencil to start writing with.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Maybe there should be some good used S&W .38 caliber revolvers on the list of choices.
View Quote

This.  Or Rugers.  

Also doesn't take into account different family members' skill levels, if any.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#37]
If your family members are shooters, won't they tell you what gun they want?

If they're not shooters, then you don't buy guns to put away for them, you let them train with yours and see what works.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#38]
My wife doesn't particularly like to shoot guns.  I've let her try several different ones, and her favorite is the Glock 17.  FWIW
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This.  Or Rugers.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Or Rugers.  

Yep,definitely Rugers as well.

I came across some used S&W Model 15s and 67s the other day so I had S&W on the brain.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I personally carry either a MP 9 or P2K9, but I have 4 Glocks and one of them will go with us.  Parts everywhere,
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#41]
More specifics would be nice to help narrow down the field.
What caliber do you like.
Who is this for (you, wife, kids..)?
Looking for maximum capacity?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Since your list is only a partial list of guns, I vote for a Glock 22. Due to the fact that ammo has been plentiful during the last few panics. Figuring the same will happen again. So Glock 22 IS THE answer. So when you folks are sparingly shooting or scrounging for ammo at excessive prices, My fellow 40s and I will be shooting away. But yeah, 9mm is what you should get.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#44]
For panicked people who are unfamiliar with firearms handling, I would definitely choose something with a safety... for safety reasons... or something with a trigger pull so awful it might as well have a safety. I don't want someone I care about putting a round through their leg when the SHTF.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I vote a revolver too.  But that's not on the list.  Plus I also think they'd be better served with a long gun.  Most newer lever guns havea bolt safety.  That might be a good choice.  A sxs 20 gauge maybe?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I voted glock 21 because it's your caliber of choice and you have it.

If adding a new caliber doesn't bother you then I change my opinion to glock 17/19
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Revolvers if they are not going to practice.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Personally I'd go revolver. Even during training you will need to manuplate the firearm more than any semi auto. Forced manipulation equals familiarity. I've seen too many times with new shooters with semis load it fully mag dump and then struggle a lot for a reload. My wife love my colt trooper MKIII.

It also depends how much you want to invest. Remember a pistol is useless unless a holster is with it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks to all for the responses.  A few follow-up thoughts:

• I admit that the poll is imperfect and I could have included more details and options.

• My thoughts were that I would like to have some pistols for my immediate family members, most of whom are adults, for emergency situations like Katrina.  I completely agree that basic training is a must, but not everyone has a passion for shooting.

• Ideally, the guns would be low-cost to allow purchasing more than one and if they were lost or stolen in an evacuation the loss would not be enormous.  However, there are trade-offs with this.  While many surplus Berettas are very nice, one could wind up with a poor one and have to fix it, thus defeating the low cost criterion.  The S&W SD9VE has nice features - high cap and light rail, but the mags are expensive and don't interchange with any other models.

• I am not surprised at the support for Glocks.  I think there is merit to many of the points made  about them being a standard and commonplace platform.  The .40s out there are priced right, but there is a downside to the cost of the ammo and the 9mm models are in the $400 range even for police trade-ins.  

• Revolvers - They have the advantage of simplicity and low cost, but I ruled them out due to limited capacity.  Yes, most "social encounters" are resolved in about 3 shots, but stress often results in misses - many misses, even among trained LEOs.

I don't have any conclusions yet, but there is a lot to consider and there are trade-offs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:35:52 AM EDT
[#50]
As far as glock parts gen 1 through 3 use the same parts. There drop in. The 9mm, 40, 357 all use the same recoil spring. Pretty sure they use the same sight size also. Full size 9-40-357 use the same holster, compacts use the same holster, sub compacts same holster. Parts would be pretty easy to get. You can caliber covert. Share mags ect. Parts will be plentyful. Besides during the panic i bet you could trade a pmag for four glock mags easy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top