Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, yes, when in a dead sleep you might not have time to chamber a round.  If you have kids, make sure they can't get to your loaded gun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes one in the chamber

No kids around here
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, i'm convinced... It's in the safe with 10+1 now
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you use a handgun for home defense?
View Quote

I have a very right staircase leading from the master bedroom downstairs and it's so much easier to clear and maneuver with a handgun than it is with my AR. and once I'm downstairs, my houses layout is one where just about everything is within 15 yards or so
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:46:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
But they keep chambered handguns within reach.  

gotcha
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

keeps you alive while you get to your primary
Why not have your primary in a primary location lol, unless we are talking about a firefight scenario in your home in which you shoot your way out of another room to make it to your long gun?  Sounds like a bad neighborhood lmao    

No, I'm talking about normal life in the real world where folks dont BBQ in the suburbs with an AR slung over their arm or within arms reach.
But they keep chambered handguns within reach.  

gotcha

What's easier to carry on your person, an AR or a concealed handgun?

And yes OP HD guns should be loaded and chambered
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:48:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I bring my holstered carry gun upstairs everynight, so yes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:08:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cocked and locked in one of those bedside holsters.
When it isn't on me.
Everything in the safe is empty.
When the wee one gets mobile I may elect to get a small safe/lock box, but I doubt it, but if I did it'd be chambered for sure, seconds count and you'll already be burning a few getting in the safe/lock box.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

My kids are priceless to me.

Tell me again how you feel about yours...

Reconsider.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:28:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have a very right staircase leading from the master bedroom downstairs and it's so much easier to clear and maneuver with a handgun than it is with my AR. and once I'm downstairs, my houses layout is one where just about everything is within 15 yards or so
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I have a different mindset because it's just me and my gf upstairs at night in the same room.  I wouldn't even try to clear my own house from starting upstairs, I would rather maintain the element of surprise and call 911 so they can come clean up whatever fuckwad wandered into the wrong house.  

Then again my vicious bred-for-nothing-but-killing-small-children pitbull probably wouldn't even give me a chance to defend myself, she would run downstairs and eat the bad guys face and first born child.

On a more serious note, I understand dogs aren't for everyone but they really do make a good home defense accessory.  Any breed, even if simply for the warning.  I wouldn't count on them for everything but there's simply no way someone could gain access to my house without making enough noise to wake my dog up, and that kinda takes away that "omg now I need a gun and have no time to react" scenario people seem to talk about.  I try to have an open mind but it's easy to think about things from my own perspective and home defense plan.  Kids complicate the shit out of things, not having a constant patrolling guard with amazing hearing is another problem lol.

I'm sticking to my original statement though, handguns are not the best choice for home defense.  I vote 12ga.    
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:45:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I guess I have a different mindset because it's just me and my gf upstairs at night in the same room.  I wouldn't even try to clear my own house from starting upstairs, I would rather maintain the element of surprise and call 911 so they can come clean up whatever fuckwad wandered into the wrong house.  

Then again my vicious bred-for-nothing-but-killing-small-children pitbull probably wouldn't even give me a chance to defend myself, she would run downstairs and eat the bad guys face and first born child.

On a more serious note, I understand dogs aren't for everyone but they really do make a good home defense accessory.  Any breed, even if simply for the warning.  I wouldn't count on them for everything but there's simply no way someone could gain access to my house without making enough noise to wake my dog up, and that kinda takes away that "omg now I need a gun and have no time to react" scenario people seem to talk about.  I try to have an open mind but it's easy to think about things from my own perspective and home defense plan.  Kids complicate the shit out of things, not having a constant patrolling guard with amazing hearing is another problem lol.

I'm sticking to my original statement though, handguns are not the best choice for home defense.  I vote 12ga.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have Corgis, one of which is pregnant they won't do anything more than bark.

I get what your saying, it's just one of those different strokes for different folks. I do room clearing drills damn near weekly, and I know for how my house is set up a handgun is my best choice. And yes, I'd absolutely call 911 first, but I also know first hand what our response time is
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Three pitbulls at my house, two females and one male.  Amazing home defense assets.  They definitely buy me the time I need to get to my pistol or AR and often hear and detect things outside that I dont.

We feed them babies occasionally to sustain their lean, mean appearance..
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anything holstered is chambered.  If the trigger guard is not covered, the magazine is loaded but the chamber is empty.
View Quote

This!

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Reconsider.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When it isn't on me.
When the wee one gets mobile I may elect to get a small safe/lock box, but I doubt it, but if I did it'd be chambered for sure, seconds count and you'll already be burning a few getting in the safe/lock box.

Reconsider.

No shit.  My daughter isn't even mobile yet and my carry piece always goes into the bedside safe when not on me.  All other guns are stored unloaded in a safe, but with loaded magazines ready alongside them.  Only gun that has a round chambered is my carry piece.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Reconsider.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When it isn't on me.

Reconsider.

Absolutely priceless.
Seems I wasn't clear, I don't leave the thing in the middle of the living room floor, or hanging on the bedside while I go off to whatever the day brings, it's on me or within sight/reach most of the waking day, when I shower it goes in the safe I mentioned in my first post, under mom's watch, or in the room with me and out of easy reach for a small child (obviously one day nothing will be out of reach), when I'm in bed it's in the bedside holster and I'm practically on top of it, if for some reason I choose to leave my carry/HD piece unattended I put the it in the safe, therefore I see little gain from bedside safes. I'd rather be able to rush to my child's defense than fumbling with some key/combination/or reader, but it is something I debate occasionally.
FYI myself and two other children made it all the way to adult hood in a house with a loaded gun in an unlocked nightstand from at least the time I was five, no reason to believe it wasn't there my whole life, no NDs, no stand offs, nothing, but then my parents did put effort into raising us.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Chambered is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Absolutely priceless.
Seems I wasn't clear, I don't leave the thing in the middle of the living room floor, or hanging on the bedside while I go off to whatever the day brings, it's on me or within sight/reach most of the waking day, when I shower it goes in the safe I mentioned in my first post, under mom's watch, or in the room with me and out of easy reach for a small child (obviously one day nothing will be out of reach), when I'm in bed it's in the bedside holster and I'm practically on top of it, if for some reason I choose to leave my carry/HD piece unattended I put the it in the safe, therefore I see little gain from bedside safes. I'd rather be able to rush to my child's defense than fumbling with some key/combination/or reader, but it is something I debate occasionally.
FYI myself and two other children made it all the way to adult hood in a house with a loaded gun in an unlocked nightstand from at least the time I was five, no reason to believe it wasn't there my whole life, no NDs, no stand offs, nothing, but then my parents did put effort into raising us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When it isn't on me.

Reconsider.

Absolutely priceless.

There is no valid excuse.  Don't risk it, Alpha82, your heart will break into tiny little pieces, your marriage probably won't survive such a catastrophe and you will blame yourself until your last breath.  

Buy the box.  Please.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hitlerverse!

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Unloaded completely. Just the sight of a pistol scares most people away. The laser on my rail scares the rest.

One time though I had to rack the slide before the home invader got the message. He must have been stupid because I had an empty clip in my gat piece and the slide locked back so I didn't get the full effect but he got the message.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Unloaded completely. Just the sight of a pistol scares most people away. The laser on my rail scares the rest.

One time though I had to rack the slide before the home invader got the message. He must have been stupid because I had an empty clip in my gat piece and the slide locked back so I didn't get the full effect but he got the message.
View Quote

At first I was like then I was like and then I finished the post like
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well played.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Of course I keep one chambered. Otherwise it's like keeping a getaway car with a dry tank until you need it NOW and have to pour a gallon in it before taking off.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Of course I keep one chambered. Otherwise it's like keeping a getaway car with a dry tank until you need it NOW and have to pour a gallon in it before taking off.
View Quote

It's more like having a getaway car without the engine running and you need to turn the key before mashing the gas pedal.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's more like having a getaway car without the engine running and you need to turn the key before mashing the gas pedal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turning the key would be the saftey.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Condition 1 in a auto, every chamber filled in a revolver.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#24]
All of my handguns are loaded, except the .22, all of the time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know you're trolling, but...because it's the best, most suitable weapon for home defense?

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My AR, mag loaded only. My carry Glock, same way in the house, and carrying most of time.  If I have to get out of the car much in sketchy area's where someone can get the jump on me, example convenience stores,or where lowlifes hang out, it's cocked . I walked into a store robbery once, and the dude shot at me while I ran for cover, he friggen missed me with a shotgun, and I wasn't carrying back then. I wouldn't of had time to return fire because I didn't even see him behind me, he was hiding behind something I guess. Another time someone kicked in my front door, but I had time to get my pistol, and make a sandwich before he got thru, and by then he was looking down the barrel of my .357 Ruger. If I didn't have kids, I would have my pistol , or rifle next to me when I sleep ready to go ,with flashlights on both of them.
View Quote

Yeah the first thing I do when going into the corner store is COCK MY GLOCK.

???

Where's that smiley dude raising a flag with a couple letters on it...

OP:  I can't carry at work so it sits in the car in a OWB kydex holster. It goes in my nightstand safe when I get home. My wife has another safe with an matching pistol (except extended mag). Yes both stay loaded. The safe isn't far away where rifles/shotgun are unloaded, but SD loaded mags are right there.

To the guy with kids, my 4 year old daughter has never shown a whit of interest in my pistol. But I don't want the first time she gets interested to be her last time. Lock it up. Yes it may slow your response to help her, but the reality is the greater risk is them getting curious. Even if you holster in next to you in bed, I've woken up to my kid staring at me many times. I'd hate to be woken up to a loud noise and a warm,wet spray instead of her precious smile. Lock it up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should have probably added, my gun does not have a manual safety. Which is the main reason I asked this question. It's a Sig P226, so the safety is either the gun in double action or an unloaded chamber.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#28]
ar15 and 12 ga 11-87 both loaded with chamber empty, Glock 19 and 26 cocked and locked along with 357 in nightstand. My 19 is my go to HD gun and i can't remember the last time it was unloaded.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:18:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Always.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:48:46 AM EDT
[#30]
my two handguns are HD and CCW. always chambered. rifles are not.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I should have probably added, my gun does not have a manual safety. Which is the main reason I asked this question. It's a Sig P226, so the safety is either the gun in double action or an unloaded chamber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you feel better with it in condition 3 and train for that then I would not be concerned; your overthinking it a bit. IMO an uncocked DA/SA like the SIG with one in the chamber is the same as a DA revolver; personally I've no problem keeping one made ready in a locked safe.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:37:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My AR, mag loaded only. My carry Glock, same way in the house, and carrying most of time.  If I have to get out of the car much in sketchy area's where someone can get the jump on me, example convenience stores,or where lowlifes hang out, it's cocked . I walked into a store robbery once, and the dude shot at me while I ran for cover, he friggen missed me with a shotgun, and I wasn't carrying back then. I wouldn't of had time to return fire because I didn't even see him behind me, he was hiding behind something I guess. Another time someone kicked in my front door, but I had time to get my pistol, and make a sandwich before he got thru, and by then he was looking down the barrel of my .357 Ruger. If I didn't have kids, I would have my pistol , or rifle next to me when I sleep ready to go ,with flashlights on both of them.

???
what are you taking issue with here? I see nothing wrong with it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:59:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Defensive weapons?
Yes, absolutely chambered

View Quote

Empty gun is just a piece of pipe.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:28:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes....if it's an HD gun, it needs to be ready to go ASAP.  ....just like a carry gun.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:54:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Condition three.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I keep all my handguns loaded and ready to go, this way if I want to carry one I don't have to chamber a round every time I want to carry one.  Instead when I go out to the range, which is less often than carrying I un-chamber the rounds from the weapons I am taking.  All long guns except for one are un-chambered.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#37]
My HD gun is a 12 gauge pump w/ 18.5" barrel, and yes, it is chambered when outside of the safe.  1 in the chamber, full tube, safety on.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

???

How exactly does one "cock a glock"?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

???

Well it's not DA so I think the striker has to be "reset" or cocked doesn't it?  Although I guess it's impossible to have a round in the chamber without the striker being...ready lol.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Three pitbulls at my house, two females and one male.  Amazing home defense assets.  They definitely buy me the time I need to get to my pistol or AR and often hear and detect things outside that I dont.

We feed them babies occasionally to sustain their lean, mean appearance..
View Quote
Ljl

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I know you're trolling, but...because it's the best, most suitable weapon for home defense?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not trolling at all. A 12 gauge shotgun is the best most suitable weapon for home defense.

Handguns are for concealing, and when a long gun is inconvenient.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

???

Pull slide to the rear. Release. Glock is cocked.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well it's not DA so I think the striker has to be "reset" or cocked doesn't it?  Although I guess it's impossible to have a round in the chamber without the striker being...ready lol.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

???

Exactly. Glocks preload the firing pin spring on slide cycle, which is why they have a short trigger pull. Coolride carries condition three; upon entering into "sketchy" situations he loads a round, preloading the firing pin and cocking the weapon. I assume once he leaves aforementioned sketchy AO he unloads and decocks (pulls trigger on empty chamber) and returns to condition three.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

???

I always pictured the term cocked in pistols with hammers. I always use chambered, charged, etc
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#45]
And why would anyone carry a defensive pistol in C3
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dunno; ask an Israeli.
From what I understand with respect to the IDF, they adopted that method of carry to allow safe carry with quick response time for (at that time) a largely untrained population with a diverse variety of firearms.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I dunno; ask an Israeli.
From what I understand with respect to the IDF, they adopted that method of carry to allow safe carry with quick response time for (at that time) a largely untrained population with a diverse variety of firearms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno; ask an Israeli.

If you aren't comfortable carrying a pistol with a round chambered, you need more/better training
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I dunno; ask an Israeli.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno; ask an Israeli.

Military always knows best.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno; ask an Israeli.

They should rather have tried to teach a new army of mostly inexperienced  conscript soldiers thrust directly into hostilities the manual of arms for every hand-me-down pistol the IDF had in its inventory so they could be proficient with them all in condition 1 or 2?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#50]

Safe guns are full mags, nothing chambered,

Load one when it leaves the safe.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top