User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went to see a film last night. I was wearing shorts. I threw the DB9 in my pocket in the Sticky pocket holster that Diamondback sells from their website. Easy peasy lemon squeasy. Pocket carry is what the LCP used to be for. Now I have 9mm +P DoubleTap hollowpoint goodness in my pocket. LCP is now for when I am in a business suit. DB9 is on me when I dress casually. Still love the LCP. But glad I have a DB9: much lighter than a Rohrbaugh and much more affordable. Mine works and I don't even have the pin-walking-out problem.

You do realize, The DB9 is NOT rated for +P... EVER.

Read your manual.

It's ok for occasional use and carry, but I don't really see any need for it.  Even standard pressure 9mm is a huge step up from a .380, so I just carry Winchester Ranger 147gr JHP's.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got one for my birthday and it went around 75 rounds without a hitch. About 50 fmjs for starters, 25 115gr Hornady critical defense, 10 115 gr gold dots. Today I picked up some Win 147gr PDX1 HP(Anyone got an opinion on these?) to try out and I have FED 124gr HST (IIRC) and Win 147 gr Ranger Ts that should be in next week.

Firing that many rounds at one time gets to be uncomfortable, but the gun is controllable.

Accuracy was great for a pocket gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
According to the folks over at diamondbacktalk.com, 147 grain rounds are too long and don't feed well.  115 grain is recommended, some 124's work well.  Read up over there for more info.

Quoted:
I just got one for my birthday and it went around 75 rounds without a hitch. About 50 fmjs for starters, 25 115gr Hornady critical defense, 10 115 gr gold dots. Today I picked up some Win 147gr PDX1 HP(Anyone got an opinion on these?) to try out and I have FED 124gr HST (IIRC) and Win 147 gr Ranger Ts that should be in next week.

Firing that many rounds at one time gets to be uncomfortable, but the gun is controllable.

Link Posted: 9/5/2011 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine eats 147gr Winchester Ranger JHP's perfectly fine.  Then again mine developed a chip on the feedramp and I removed the chip and blended the ramp, shoots everything i've fed it thus far.

Quoted:
According to the folks over at diamondbacktalk.com, 147 grain rounds are too long and don't feed well.  115 grain is recommended, some 124's work well.  Read up over there for more info.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/5/2011 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Just cycled by hand 2 mags full of the Win 147gr PDX1 HP without a hitch. Lets hope it does as well at the range.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just cycled by hand 2 mags full of the Win 147gr PDX1 HP without a hitch. Lets hope it does as well at the range.

You're more likely to have an issue slingshotting the slide than you will ever have actually firing the gun.

I'd say you should be good to go.

The only ammo that i've heard gives the DB9 fits is the Speer GoldDot load.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like you lucked out based on many other internet reports of lemons

Overblown.

Really most of the guns I have heard about work fine.  Sure there are some issues, but the newest batch has fixed these.

Glad yours is working, wish I could say the same for mine. I sent it back to the factory last week after varied and numerous malfunctions. I'm still up in the air on whether I will keep it if the weapon comes back functional.

You might want to keep an eye on your guide rod, there have been many reports of them cracking even from the faithful over on DBT.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 3:38:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went to see a film last night. I was wearing shorts. I threw the DB9 in my pocket in the Sticky pocket holster that Diamondback sells from their website. Easy peasy lemon squeasy. Pocket carry is what the LCP used to be for. Now I have 9mm +P DoubleTap hollowpoint goodness in my pocket. LCP is now for when I am in a business suit. DB9 is on me when I dress casually. Still love the LCP. But glad I have a DB9: much lighter than a Rohrbaugh and much more affordable. Mine works and I don't even have the pin-walking-out problem.

You do realize, The DB9 is NOT rated for +P... EVER.

Read your manual.

Yes there is a contradiction between what the manual says and what the Diamondback sales manager said on the Diamondback forum. Manual says +P will void warranty. Diamondback sales manager says if you use +Ps in a self defense situation, it will not void the warranty. Here is the direct quote:

"It is safe to use +P ammo in the DB9; we fire proof loads through every gun that leaves our building. A proof load produces 3 times the pressure of a standard round, which is much higher than a +P round.

The reason we don't recommend +P ammo in the DB9 is that the DB9 is the smallest, lightest, and thinnest 9mm on the market. We are pushing the limits of physics building it this small. The internal parts are smaller than your average 9mm pistol and the added stress +P ammo puts on the parts will make them wear out faster.

+P ammo when you carry isn't going to hurt the gun and if you have to use it to defend yourself your warranty is fine. If you go to the range and run a bunch of +P through it for plinking targets you are going to cause undue stress on the internal parts and your warranty will be voided.Jason Goodman,Sales Manager, DB Firearms, [email protected]"

Oh. Ok. I just carry Hornady Critical Defense 115 grn standard velocity.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Alright. So I picked up one of these today (Due largely to this thread).

Size=awesome
weight=awesome
trigger= very good for a DA mouse gun.
sights= very very satisfactory when compared to other micro guns
grip = awesome

I quickly ran 27 rounds through it. They were the standard Winchester 115gr FMJ from walmart.

Initial thoughts: Gun is very accurate, but very snappy. At first my left hand was losing contact with each shot, and with the first 8 shots (while experimenting with grips) I got 3 failures to feed. I was very sure that the problem was user and not gun oriented however, and the manual does mention this happens if you aren't holding firmly enough so no worries. On the next two mags I found a good grip, held on tightly, and had no malfunctions. I was able to fire rapidly and I found that while snappy, the gun was plenty controllable.

Since I was running out of daylight and was in my back yard I only fired at 21 feet. My first two rounds were dead center in a 4" bullseye with roughly about 1" in between the two rounds. Which surprised me, because its the first time I've ever fired such a small gun (and a 9mm one at that), and it was the first time with that trigger. Over all my groups (firing fairly rapidly) at 21' was about 5-6", which surprised me because I'm not the best of shots and I don't have any experience with snappy little guns.

[edit] Shot 20 more rounds of the 115gr Winchester FMJs this morning 0 malfunctions

Overall I'm pretty excited about the gun, thanks for the thread OP. Was about to buy a LCP until I stumbled across this.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Sweet.

Hope it works great for you since i'm one of the big proponents of the gun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm at somewhere around 300 rounds of Wolf, and 30 or so of various defensive ammo. I have yet to clean it, and have yet to have issues.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Went by the range for a little while and put 25 Fed 124ge HST and 25 147gr Ranger Ts.

Recoil seems sharper than with the 115s.
HST didn't want to feed 100%. 3 FTFeed out of the mag, 2 were first rounds, 1 I may have limp wristed.

Ranger Ts went without a hitch.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:25:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Another 50 rounds of Wolf yesterday. So I'm somewhere near 500. Have yet to clean it. Fucker works great
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I handled a DB9 at a gun shop yesterday.  Very tiny!  I'm starting to forget all about the PF-9 and the LC9.  I haven't even handled the LC9 and I'm losing interest because of the Diamond Back.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I handled a DB9 at a gun shop yesterday.  Very tiny!  I'm starting to forget all about the PF-9 and the LC9.  I haven't even handled the LC9 and I'm losing interest because of the Diamond Back.  

I shot my buddies wife's LC9 yesterday. Complete garbage, and full of fuck. Had one FTF, the gun is huge, and the trigger is quite possibly the absolute worst I have ever had the displeasure of encountering. LOOOONG, grainy, and ridiculously heavy. Fuck that gun, lol!
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shot my buddies wife's LC9 yesterday. Complete garbage, and full of fuck. Had one FTF, the gun is huge, and the trigger is quite possibly the absolute worst I have ever had the displeasure of encountering. LOOOONG, grainy, and ridiculously heavy. Fuck that gun, lol!

Yep.  Love my DB9 way more than I ever even liked the LC9 or PF9.  The only gun close under $500 for a pocket 9mm is the Kahr CM9 and it's quite a bit thicker in the pocket.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#17]
The size difference between the DB9 and the PF-9/LCP doesn't seem like much on paper.  In reality those differences are huge.  It is the difference between a gun that works as a pocket gun and one that won't.  True you can fit a lot of guns in the pockets of cargo pants.  That's not what I'm talking about.  Can you fit it in the front pocket of a pair of Levis?  That's a pocket gun.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 2:30:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I held the LC-9 and DB 9, no comparison if you want a pocket pistol. Gunshop guru was pimping the ruger hard, but they are very different animals and the Ruger is no pocket pistol.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I traded for one last week. Went to trade for a LC9. I told my dealer I would like to have a 9mm about the size of my Sig p238 for pocket carry. I was about half joking. anyway I got the DB9. Went to range today and shot the crappiest 9mm I had on hand through it. MFS 9mm. The whole box shot just fine. Accuracy was ok for what is meant for. Now, being on blood thinners, this thing about killed my hand. I have never been recoil sensitive. I shot my Son's Contender with a 14" .444 Marlin barrel on it and survived. This little gun about turned my right hand to mush. After I got done, I took out my 226X6 which is my favorite gen shooting gun. My right hand was trembling so bad I couldn't get decent groups with it . I called it a day & went home. The DB9 is definitely  a good ,powerful, pocket pistol. Carry a lot, shoot infrequently for me. I might add that I am not all that young either.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I recently picked up a DB9. I've put a little over 100 rounds of 115 FMJ (WWB) through it so far. Had a couple of failures to return fully to battery on the first two magazines but after that ran just fine. Ran some 124g HST through it with no issues as well.

Great gun, not much bigger than my P3AT. Accurate also. Not much fun for target practice, snappy is an understatement. Overall I'm very pleased
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#21]
You guys have convinced me to give the DB9 a try. Since the Wife took over my Ruger LCR as her own I have been looking for a nice pocket 9mm to replace it. I don't carry a pocket gun all the time, but there are those times where I want something small and quick in my pocket. Since I refuse to shoot anything smaller than 9mm I think this gun will be a good fit for me. On top of that I carry a Glock full time so the learning curve will be minimul.

Only real question I have is how much do the mags cost and how hard is it to get them?

Found this on youtube about the DB9. Only thing I cansee that I won't like is no slide lock, but on a pocket pistol it's not a huge deal as long as the pistol is reliable. I thought this was a pretty good review.

DB9 Review
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Mags aint cheap, I just got two extras from Midway for $34 a pop. (C&R discount)
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Mags aint cheap, I just got two extras from Midway for $34 a pop. (C&R discount)

$35 direct from Diamondback.

http://diamondbackfirearms.com/diamondback-accessories/db9/db9-6rd-black-magazine-g80.html
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah that's wat I was afraid of. I've been spoiled by Glock mags being $20 on sale online, but luckily for a pocket gun I'm really only nterested in maybe one or two at the most extra mags since it's not meant to be a range fun gun. Enough for a couple reloads is all I want.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought my DB9 for when I absolutely want to carry as little as possible. Not going to bother with spare mags with this one, add to that no LRBHO, and that mags don't drop free, spare mag prices won't affect me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine doesn't seem to like loading a 124 grain Gold Dot from a full mag.  It runs like a top as log as there are no more than 5 in the mag.  Looking at it it sure seems like the round is angled down a bit far from a fully loaded mag.  I'm going to see if I can get the updated mag follower from DB.

Mine is a little buggy.  You just have to drop the slide and not ride it at all.   They're harder to eject manually but they cycle just fine when firing.

That's what I noticed with mine, anyone else? The chamber is very tight, so if you chamber a round, it gets stuck. If you try to rack the slide to eject it, it's almost impossible because the round is wedged in there. you can see this if you disassemble and merely push in a round on a bare barrel. I haven't shot it yet though, we'll see how it does after a few rounds...

I called up DB and their CS was excellent. They replaced the barrel, and I took it to the range it shot great. Put 30 rds of 147 gr HST with no problems other than 1 limp wrist. 147gr HSTs are the ideal rounds for this gun IMO so was glad they worked. Also shot a mag of WWB with no problems. Will put some more rounds down it, when I get the time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:25:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm really wanting a pocket 9 (getting sick of trying IWB with my other 9mm) and this thing looks pretty good.
What kind of safety does it have? I'm assuming you guys carry it with one in the chamber, right?

Thanks for the info...

-ZA
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:31:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm really wanting a pocket 9 (getting sick of trying IWB with my other 9mm) and this thing looks pretty good.
What kind of safety does it have? I'm assuming you guys carry it with one in the chamber, right?

Thanks for the info...

-ZA

The only safety it has is the one between your ears.

Mine is in my pants pocket 24/7 loaded and ready to go.  Carry it in a good pocket holster and you will have no issues.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:02:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine doesn't seem to like loading a 124 grain Gold Dot from a full mag.  It runs like a top as log as there are no more than 5 in the mag.  Looking at it it sure seems like the round is angled down a bit far from a fully loaded mag.  I'm going to see if I can get the updated mag follower from DB.

Mine is a little buggy.  You just have to drop the slide and not ride it at all.   They're harder to eject manually but they cycle just fine when firing.

That's what I noticed with mine, anyone else? The chamber is very tight, so if you chamber a round, it gets stuck. If you try to rack the slide to eject it, it's almost impossible because the round is wedged in there. you can see this if you disassemble and merely push in a round on a bare barrel. I haven't shot it yet though, we'll see how it does after a few rounds...

I called up DB and their CS was excellent. They replaced the barrel, and I took it to the range it shot great. Put 30 rds of 147 gr HST with no problems other than 1 limp wrist. 147gr HSTs are the ideal rounds for this gun IMO so was glad they worked. Also shot a mag of WWB with no problems. Will put some more rounds down it, when I get the time.

From their web page:

"Notice: Diamondback Firearms does not recommend using any 9mm Bullets above 124 gr ..."

http://diamondbackfirearms.com/DB9/

I would love it if 147 gr HST worked in this gun because that's what I carry in my Glocks.  I'm assuming it's a feeding issue with the 147's being a bit longer, but if they work, they work, I suppose...
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#30]
My DB9 loves 147gr Ranger HP's.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info...

-ZA

The only safety it has is the one between your ears.

Mine is in my pants pocket 24/7 loaded and ready to go.  Carry it in a good pocket holster and you will have no issues.

I got no problems with that. What's the deal with their "sticky" holster? If you or anyone has a picture of how big/wide/tall
that holster is, and has a picture of the gun in it, I'd like to check it out. I'd prefer to carry this gun in a cargo pocket or a pocket
in my coat this winter.... just want to see what that would look/feel like.

Anyone got a picture of this thing in your cargo pockets?

Thanks.

-ZA
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From their web page:

"Notice: Diamondback Firearms does not recommend using any 9mm Bullets above 124 gr ..."

http://diamondbackfirearms.com/DB9/

I would love it if 147 gr HST worked in this gun because that's what I carry in my Glocks.  I'm assuming it's a feeding issue with the 147's being a bit longer, but if they work, they work, I suppose...

That's my guess, that it's due to cycling but it works. As far as terminal ballistics go, it's generally better to use heavier weight bullets in short barrel firearms.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Not sure what the sticky holster is.

I carry mine daily in cargo shorts in this kydex pocket holster.  I love being able to thumb the gun most of the way out of the holster and then hooking it all the way off on the draw.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Where did you get that kydex holster?

-ZA
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Another sticky holster is called Remora.

http://www.remoraholsters.com/

Interesting stuff....pocket or waistband..."sticks" do your clothing so the holster doesn't come with your 9-piece-mmeal

Fit for DB9

I'm not sure if the one DB sells is better/worse/same.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:03:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Mine is still going strong. I have recently noticed a small patch of rust trying to form on the top of the slide. I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to get the gun melonited.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top