Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2024 5:55:22 PM EDT
ok we are planning our move and will probably buy a enclosed utility trailer, but I have a 5x10' single axle utility trailer with 13" wheels and ST175/80R13 Kenda loadstar C rated tires on it.
one of the tires is starting to crack and I need to replace (planning on getting two new with rims so I can use both old ones as spares). Can this trailer with new tires handle that kind of trip? We generally just use around town to go to lumber store or dump.
This would probably make the trip a few times.

I was looking at the new Kenda Loadstar with 8 Ply / Load Range D ties that state "ST175/80R13 Radial Trailer Tire is a Load Range D, 8 Ply Trailer Tire." so I guess not a bias ply?

Not sure if  this trailer will work for a long highway trip or is it better to just transport this in the enclosed trailer and only use for short trips.

I like the idea of it as I can carry my UTV in it and not have to get a huge enclosed trailer.

thanks

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#1]
When was the last time you repacked your bearings?

Good tires and bearings, you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Service your bearings, make sure you tail light wiring is up to snuff (esp the grounds), carry a spare.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely:

repack & adjust the wheel bearings.

Be sure tires are good + have a spare + jack & tire tool (just in case)

Be sure wiring & lights up to snuff.

Good to go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks all,
so those tires are a good choice?

bearing done about 7-8 years ago ( but we maybe put on 20 miles on the trailer since then)
so I'll have to do that.
I have bearing buddies that I was going to install too, worth it?

thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Some people love bearing buddies. I see them as a waste of time. They are not a substitute for repacking the bearings
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Boisestatefan:
When was the last time you repacked your bearings?

Good tires and bearings, you'll be fine.
View Quote

FPNI (came here to post the same).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top