Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2024 11:30:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MFP_4073]
for instance -- using a .308 ACOG on a 5.56mm rifle etc ??

in a perfect world i could have all the ACOGs precisely matched.  but at ~$1K + each ...   (i'll go be poor elsewhere)

between 50 and 300 yards -- do it matter that much ??  ballistics, trajectory, etc

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:31:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 45-Seventy] [#1]
In the real world, every BDC is inaccurate.

Know your dope and download a calculator to figure out what range settings match up to your load at what range.

If you’re only stretching to 300, it matters even less.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Not enough to really notice. Most BDCs are just a reference anyway.

If you really want finagle your zero you can get the reticle subtensions off Trijicon’ as site and chrono your ammo and plug all the info into a ballistic calculator to figure out the best way to zero (however high @ 100 meters or whatever) to best track with the lower BDC marks.

I think .308 ACOGs match a 16” 5.56 shooting MK262 pretty well too from when I crunched the numbers years ago.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#3]
You will have slight variations but after a while you'll know very easily where you need to hold for each distance.

As stated, under 400Y on torso sized targets really doesn't matter. It's only beyond that where you will start noticing a deviation.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
my memory is fuzzy, but i think there was once a tacked thread in the optics area about this.
basically is was something like:
"you have ACOG X, but you're running barrel length of Y and ammo Z, here are what the hold over points will be"

anyone else remember this?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have found that if you use a ballistic calculator and simply adjust your zero distance you can get almost anything to line up from 200 to 450-500 meters. Inside 200 doesn’t really matter anyway.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]
All the above but you still should/need to shoot it at actual distances to compare to what you expect it to be.  Remember too, most ACOGs are calibrated in meters not yards, after 300 makes a difference.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Take a look at a ballistics chart.  You'll learn that BDC's are mostly hooey.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
In the real world, every BDC is inaccurate.

Know your dope and download a calculator to figure out what range settings match up to your load at what range.

If you're only stretching to 300, it matters even less.
View Quote
This.  

Also, 45-Seventy actually shoots, and knows what they're talking about.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:27:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#11]
The ACOG’s BDC has probably taken out more people than any other bullet drop compensating reticle ever made. Probably even if you combined them all. I wouldn’t consider it snake oil by any means. Plenty of videos of silhouette hits at 600 using BDC too. That said, it can’t do everything for you and has requirements to be functional.

OP I don’t know your answer with Biden banning Strelok.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Krej:
I have found that if you use a ballistic calculator and simply adjust your zero distance you can get almost anything to line up from 200 to 450-500 meters. Inside 200 doesn’t really matter anyway.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
The ACOG’s BDC has probably taken out more people than any other bullet drop compensating reticle ever made. Probably even if you combined them all. I wouldn’t consider it snake oil by any means. Plenty of videos of silhouette hits at 600 using BDC too. That said, it can’t do everything for you and has requirements to be functional.

OP I don’t know your answer with Biden banning Strelok.
View Quote

You can still download Strelok to either iOS or Android. The author has provided steps on his FB group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StrelokBallisticsUserGroup/posts/2004792326558365/
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Stainless:

"you have ACOG X, but you're running barrel length of Y and ammo Z, here are what the hold over points will be"
View Quote

Except on Tuesdays and alternate Fridays.

Stuff like this is calibrated to a certain rifle with a certain ammo and EVERYTHING including barometric pressure are going to change thing to some degree or another.

for example, USGI ammo, while junk, certainly isn't match grade.

You have to have realistic expectations when using something like a BDC and it often boils down to practical experience. I use the term 'some idea' of what will happen meaning in the ball park.

Something like an ACOG is nothing more or less than just another tool to work with.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:38:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FightingHellfish] [#16]
Every BDC is equally accurate with any load and zero on any weapon. Every reticle is a BDC.

Just don’t expect it to be 200/300/400/500.

Attachment Attached File

Just need to remember those numbers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#17]
What I would do is take a picture of the moon through the ACOG. The moon is anywhere between 29 and 33 arcminutes (aka minute of angle). Open it up in paint, and measure how many pixels the moon is. If the moon is 100 pixels in diameter, then 1 pixel = 30/100= 0.3moa for example. Now you can figure out exactly what MOA of drop the holdover lines correspond to by measuring the reticle on the same picture
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#18]
The bdc's will be off based on what bullet you are using and muzzle velocity. You can use a ballistic calculator and change your zero distance to make them match up close enough.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Every BDC is equally accurate with any load and zero on any weapon. Every reticle is a BDC.

Just don’t expect it to be 200/300/400/500.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64501/IMG_0681_png-3211714.JPG

Just need to remember those numbers.
View Quote

One of my college professors once said “all models are incorrect, some are useful”.

All (multipoint) reticles are BDC reticles, to an extent, if you take the time to learn how to use them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:
What I would do is take a picture of the moon through the ACOG. The moon is anywhere between 29 and 33 arcminutes (aka minute of angle). Open it up in paint, and measure how many pixels the moon is. If the moon is 100 pixels in diameter, then 1 pixel = 30/100= 0.3moa for example. Now you can figure out exactly what MOA of drop the holdover lines correspond to by measuring the reticle on the same picture
View Quote

You really do that?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:02:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mcantu] [#21]
View Quote

Or...you could look on the Trijicon web site and find the reticle moa measurements there

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mcantu:

Or...you could look on the Trijicon web site and find the reticle moa measurements there
View Quote

I just went next door and explained to the neighbor lady that I need to take a picture of Uranus through my ACOG to calculate my BDC on Microsoft Paint.

Now I just got served with a restraining order and divorce papers.

I wish I’d just tried Google first.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#23]

You really do that?
View Quote

One time, to figure out the exact measurements of an EXPS3-2 reticle. I used a couple stars and not the moon though. Second dot is 9.6moa below the center dot. Ring is 65 and not 68 MOA confirmed. Hash marks extend 8.5moa from the ring and are 2moa thick. If trijicon actually publishes moa measurements of these, then this whole thing could have been answered with a ballistic calculator
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Ta01nsn is close enough on a 16” ar10.

Learn where it hits and learn your holds.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

Stuff like this is calibrated to a certain rifle with a certain ammo and EVERYTHING including barometric pressure are going to change thing to some degree or another.

You have to have realistic expectations when using something like a BDC and it often boils down to practical experience. I use the term 'some idea' of what will happen meaning in the ball park.

Something like an ACOG is nothing more or less than just another tool to work with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By piccolo:
Originally Posted By Stainless:

i found the old thread.  hopefully this is what OP was looking for.
if not, that's cool too.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/18-229420/?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:13:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FightingHellfish] [#26]

One time, to figure out the exact measurements of an EXPS3-2 reticle. I used a couple stars and not the moon though. Second dot is 9.6moa below the center dot. Ring is 65 and not 68 MOA confirmed. Hash marks extend 8.5moa from the ring and are 2moa thick. If trijicon actually publishes moa measurements of these, then this whole thing could have been answered with a ballistic calculator
View Quote

Wouldn’t known size reference marks on a target at a precise known distance be easier and more precise?

Assuming you couldn’t find, or didn’t trust, online reticle diagrams.

Related question: on some, or all, scope designs, can turning the objective focus make small changes to the perceived size of the reticle?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:25:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 56xdx_Z] [#27]

Wouldn’t known size reference marks on a target at a precise known distance be easier and more precise?

Assuming you couldn’t find, or didn’t trust, online reticle diagrams.

Related question: on some, or all, scope designs, can turning the objective focus make small changes to the perceived size of the reticle?
View Quote

Not sure  about more precise, but it is certainly possible to do the same thing by photographing the reticle against a target with a 1 inch grid at a measured distance, like at a 100yd range.

You probably would not like my method for collimating dual PVS14s. Those things can only move in one circular axis of motion, so one way is to put each pvs14 between a mil-dot scope and a red dot, and plot the intersection of the red dot against the mil dot reticle, then the problem becomes finding the intersection(s) of two circles and simply spinning each pvs14 eyepiece to put the dot in that spot. Neighbor lady might be sending more than divorce papers on that one lol

ETA: No idea if focus changes impact the size of the reticle
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I wouldn't worry about it. Most people shooting 55gr are using the incorrect 223/556 reticule instead of the m193 reticule. If they take a peek at the bottom of reticule it's not going to say m193 and their drops are all off.

This is the right one if you aren't shooting 62 grain m855.
https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/ta31-d-100288
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Outside of some of the weird reticles any of them can work well. I've never played with the apps but even just messing around them you can get them very close.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#30]
good info Gents -- thanks

one issue is product availability -- various models are BO oftentimes

right now EuroOptic has a.223 Red Chevron TA33 for like $950

very tempted
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top