Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2024 7:28:13 PM EDT
can see better. Not just a little, a whole darn lot better.My right eye doesn't need my prescription eye wear.
Wow
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
can see better. Not just a little, a whole darn lot better.My right eye doesn't need my prescription eye wear.
Wow
View Quote
My dad was like a kid with a new toy when he had his done.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#2]
2 weeks to go for me.

Tell me about the process
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations! How many cans of ravioli are you sitting on right now?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wow
View Quote

Same. The colors are so vivid and no more astigmatism. Best eyesight I've had in 50+ years. Went with standard lenses and I use readers for smaller print.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife had both done a few years ago (one at a time, of course). She has gone back a couple of times for checkups and asked what diopter glass she should be using, because she really liked her glasses. The only thing she needs now are cheap readers, although somehow they can make those things expensive too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine would go in and out a bit for the first 2 days but noticed a difference straightaway.

Pro tip. Eye drops in the fridge. I can’t express how wonderful a feeling those cool drops are
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Boomer thread…

Good to hear OP. I have a driver that’s on light duty until he gets his done. He’s freaking out about it. He’s 47.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I wish I could get mine done.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#10]
My high school friend had cataracts removed from both eyes. After wearing glasses for 60 years, he just needs readers now. He loves it. I have them, but they are not bad enough to require surgery.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Had one of mine done in my early 40s.  It was amazing.  However, last year it failed and had to be replaced.  The vitrectomy procedure to remove the failed lens was not fun at all.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2 weeks to go for me.

View Quote

3 weeks to go for me.   Counting down with anticipation.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow

Mine, too. I wanted to smack the shit out of him...he could see better than i could.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I just had it done a month ago. Spent my entire adult life wearing glasses to see far away and now I can see far away and have to wear reader's to see anything up close. It's a strange transition.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/TSdKDYc-50.gif
Had one of mine done in my early 40s.  It was amazing.  However, last year it failed and had to be replaced.  The vitrectomy procedure to remove the failed lens was not fun at all.
View Quote

The floaters in my eyes were getting so bad I was hating life. They were due to multiple detached retinas. I had a vitrectomy done on my left eye back in December and it wasn't too bad. I'm actually  looking forward to having my right eye done this May. I do realize I'm at a higher risk for cataracts but I'll deal with that when it comes up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife got here done, and her first comment was "Who the hell picked this color paint for the living room? ".  Not happy that the answer was "You did, and you were very specific.  We had to special order it for you."
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My high school friend had cataracts removed from both eyes. After wearing glasses for 60 years, he just needs readers now. He loves it. I have them, but they are not bad enough to require surgery.
View Quote

Same for me, 65, not bad enough yet, IM told next 2-3 years. Putting off as long as I can.

Every time I get my eyes checked I have 20/20 vision at distance, easy as spelling the word DEFPOTEC can you pronounce that word? Deaf Po Tech!  Line 8, I cant see line 7.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#18]
It really creeps up on you, I've been telling myself I could wait till fall but I  went to the range the other day and found out that I can no longer find a target with an iron sighted rifle. Something I had no problems at all with just two months ago.

I don't mean not hitting it, I cannot FIND it.  

The target is there to normal vision and if I use a optic, but look thru the peep on an Enfield at the 100 yd berm and it flat out disappears. Even the orange x-ring on the target is not visible.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Boomer thread…

Good to hear OP. I have a driver that’s on light duty until he gets his done. He’s freaking out about it. He’s 47.
View Quote

Eye surgery is scary . He is entitled . I watched Whistlin Diesels lasik video .. It is totally serious .
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#20]
God bless ya. When I had mine done I realized I could now clearly see how bad my eyesight was. No more cloudy vision, just BAD vision. One eye is nearsighted and one is farsighted, so I just wear reading glasses and move crap to various distances and try to decipher it. Driving is unpleasant.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#21]
That's how it works, good job OP!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Met with my eye doctor today. Meet with the cataract surgeon next Wednesday. Glad you're good, op!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm doing it electively at 50.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Cool.  Congratulations.

One of my eyes was 20/400 and the other was 20/40.  After cataract surgery on both I can drive without glasses and things are brighter too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#25]
It took my brain several weeks to adjust to the Newfound Vision after I got my replacement.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I had one eye done about 20 years ago. My vision went from nonexistent in that eye to better than the other one. It was kind of a mind fuck.
My dad's getting his done in about a week. I can't wait to see his reaction lol
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wow
View Quote

That’s awesome!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
2 weeks to go for me.

View Quote
For me it was start an IV, get wheeled into the OR, stiff shot of propofol, then all I saw was black and some lights from the microscope the doc was using.

Doc finished, I got wheeled out, woke up in a few minutes and went home.  We stopped for breakfast first.

No pain at any time and I needed eyedrops for a month after that.  Two weeks later Doc did the other eye, samey same.

I did get some prescription glasses that I wear while at the computer or reading and prescription sunglasses for driving.

I had to be careful not to put any pressure on the surgery eye for a few days after and got a plastic eyeshield to tape on at night.

Doc said some people have a little pain or light sensitivity (they gave me a pair of sunglasses post surgery) the first day but that didn't happen.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Decided to do mine when driving back from a hunt in Nebraska and the license plates just 5 cars ahead of me were blurry. Knew it was time.
Went with distance and use readers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I cried after my cataract surgery.  I had poor eyesight my entire life. At 62 I was able to see detail, vivid colors, and depth of field that I had no prior memory of.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#33]
My dad just had cataract surgery a few weeks ago. Said it was no big deal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Congratulations op!
Also to all the others replying they can see again.
Posted while looking at a fuzzy iPad because I need new glasses
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Just had both eyes done (right eye yesterday).  Couldn't see my hand in front of my face. Now I have nearly perfect long range vision. I do need reading glasses now.

Don’t forget the drops. You don’t want that shit to get infected.  

Having a small issue with dry eye. Picked up some drops for that and will start using it after the anti-bacterial drop regiment is completed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For me it was start an IV, get wheeled into the OR, stiff shot of propofol, then all I saw was black and some lights from the microscope the doc was using.

Doc finished, I got wheeled out, woke up in a few minutes and went home.  We stopped for breakfast first.

No pain at any time and I needed eyedrops for a month after that.  Two weeks later Doc did the other eye, samey same.

I did get some prescription glasses that I wear while at the computer or reading and prescription sunglasses for driving.

I had to be careful not to put any pressure on the surgery eye for a few days after and got a plastic eyeshield to tape on at night.

Doc said some people have a little pain or light sensitivity (they gave me a pair of sunglasses post surgery) the first day but that didn't happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 weeks to go for me.

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
2 weeks to go for me.

View Quote

You might be awake during the process but, they will give you a sedative that wipes your memory for those 30 minutes.

Odds are, you won’t remember anything.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You might be awake during the process but, they will give you a sedative that wipes your memory for those 30 minutes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 weeks to go for me.

Yeah, he said I would be awake, which is freaking me out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The floaters in my eyes were getting so bad I was hating life. They were due to multiple detached retinas. I had a vitrectomy done on my left eye back in December and it wasn't too bad. I'm actually  looking forward to having my right eye done this May. I do realize I'm at a higher risk for cataracts but I'll deal with that when it comes up.
View Quote

Cataracts are a walk in the park after a vitrectomy
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thank you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thank you
You're welcome.

The wife had cataract surgery before I did so I had an idea what to expect.  It was easier than I thought.

Good luck, you'll be fine.

Quoted:
Yeah, he said I would be awake, which is freaking me out.

You're 'awake' but that really means not totally unconscious.  They do that because they may need you to move your eye (look up, etc.) to get the right access to remove the lens and put in the implant.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Had both eyes done last August.  Went in today and my left eye is ready for laser treatment.  Vision down to 20 / 30.
Holding off til Fall and both eyes should be ready then.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#42]
The good thing about needing reader glasses is....they are cheap.  You can buy 40 pairs and just preposition them e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e.  That's what my parents did, after they both got cataracts surgery, and no longer needed prescription lenses (both had worn them for all their adult lives).

One in the purse. One in the car. One in the garage. Two in the den. One in the kitchen, etc, etc.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Congrats, mono or multifocal?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:20:18 AM EDT
[#44]
How's driving at night, specifically, oncoming cars that leave on their high beams?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:20:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
2 weeks to go for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
2 weeks to go for me.

Sure I will.
3 days before surgery I was prescribed some eye drops to use 3 times a day. It stings a little not horrible. See picture.
Day of surgery the usual no food or liquid 8-10 hours before.
After being checked in. Lots and lots of different eye drops. A nurse anesthetist gives you liquid Valium to hold under the tongue for 51 seconds then swallow.
The eye is sterilized.
Dr has you look at and follow the light with your eyes. No pain or discomfort. It was done in under 8 minutes or so for me.

The interesting thing thing is I could tell when the old lens was removed and the new lens was put in. Or at least I perceived it.

It is a piece of cake Absolutely m
Nothing to fear. Afterwards you will be thinking I should of had this done long ago.
Hope that helps

They want me to wear this while I sleeps and it is not even Kool looking ;(

Quoted:
Mine would go in and out a bit for the first 2 days but noticed a difference straightaway.

Pro tip. Eye drops in the fridge. I can’t express how wonderful a feeling those cool drops are

That is brilliant.  Really it is. I wish you had told me last Friday. Thank you the cool drops are soothing.

Quoted:
Congratulations! How many cans of ravioli are you sitting on right now?

Best by dates were catching up. I took a lot to a local pantry.  Believe it or not I only have 1 fresh case at the moment.
Quoted:
How's driving at night, specifically, oncoming cars that leave on their high beams?

I have no idea. When I find out I will post results.
Quoted:
Congrats, mono or multifocal?

Mono.seemed to be best for my needs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:05:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow

After 57 years of needing glasses, I felt like I had a superpower after having my eyes done last year. 20/200 to 20/15 is awesome!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#47]
I was just told that I need to have this done and am looking for suggestions for lens, what y'all recommended.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#48]
My dad had complications with his cataract surgery.  He takes a medication called Flowmax.  After the surgery the doc
said, "I did not know you were taking that.  Your retina was like toilet paper."  Apparently she would have done something
different, but was already into the surgery.  That question was not asked before the surgery.

Make sure your doctor knows all of the meds you take.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:15:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My dad had complications with his cataract surgery.  He takes a medication called Flowmax.  After the surgery the doc
said, "I did not know you were taking that.  Your retina was like toilet paper."  Apparently she would have done something
different, but was already into the surgery.  That question was not asked before the surgery.

Make sure your doctor knows all of the meds you take.
View Quote

He didn't fill out a form showing ALL medications he's taking?

I find that odd.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#50]
I've had detached retinas in both eyes.  Lens replacement in both eyes (cataract surgeries)  Now fighting macular degeneration in my right eye.   Yay!  Yipee!  Just what I wanted
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top