Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2024 11:09:01 AM EDT
I have a 2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT and I'm looking for new shocks.  I drive mostly on highways with occasional light off road use.  I'm familiar with Bilstein shocks, but open to other brands.  I would like the rear shocks to be a little stiffer for pulling a camper trailer without the rear sagging so much. What are the best shocks for this scenerio?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:50:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#1]
Bilstein 5100 is the quality cost effective route.

If they salt the roads where you live, you may want to coat them with something like clear coat or just keep them washed off, the bodies can get funky, but it doesn’t effect the shock.

5100’s on the rear of an F150 is the first thing a F150 owner should do and it is simple AF, no time, and you leave the truck on the ground. I suspect it’s the same on a Ranger. May want to buy a washer for install, the ears will bend on a F150 (not a big deal), dunno about the Ranger.

I road in a friend’s 19 Ranger Sport and the shocks were truly horrific from the factory.

They make a noticeable difference. I thought it would be bs, I don’t tow, they made a difference (F150).
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#2]
You could also look at the Fox 2.0's. Compare them to the 5100. I think the Fox is rebuildable and costs about $140 apiece. Don't know if you want to spend that much.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't mind the cost to a point.  I just hate that the front has struts because it doubles the cost  lol
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Bilsteins

The second function you’re asking is not what the shock is for. If you’re having load issues you need to address that with add-a-leafs, airbags, or another load compensating device.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kmh:
I don't mind the cost to a point.  I just hate that the front has struts because it doubles the cost  lol
View Quote

Kings it is
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT and I'm looking for new shocks.  I drive mostly on highways with occasional light off road use.  I'm familiar with Bilstein shocks, but open to other brands.  I would like the rear shocks to be a little stiffer for pulling a camper trailer without the rear sagging so much. What are the best shocks for this scenerio?
View Quote

Kings are the best IMO, with close following of Fox. Icons run a little stiffer, and Bilsteins are probably the best budget shocks.

If really want the most out them, get adjustable shocks so you can tune your ride of pulling ability.

I had Bilsteind on my Ranger and run Kings on my FJ. I have to say I usually wouldn't consider Rancho, but I've been thinking about giving their adjustable a shot on my F150.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HKaltwasser:

Kings are the best IMO, with close following of Fox. Icons run a little stiffer, and Bilsteins are probably the best budget shocks.

If really want the most out them, get adjustable shocks so you can tune your ride of pulling ability.

I had Bilsteind on my Ranger and run Kings on my FJ. I have to say I usually wouldn't consider Rancho, but I've been thinking about giving their adjustable a shot on my F150.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I tried Ranchi 9000s on a jk Wrangler. They were so bad I took them off and got my money back. Lots of body roll and felt like riding in a wagon on bigger bumps. You could turn in the adjusters and get the body roll somewhat under control but then they ride worse than a wagon on bigger bumps.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll give the Bilsteins a try.  one question on the front, do i need to replace the coil spring or just the shock part?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Fox or Kings
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:41:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#10]
I'll give the Bilsteins a try.  one question on the front, do i need to replace the coil spring or just the shock part?
View Quote
If it is not sagging or leaning, then just the shock.

Bilsteins will suit you just fine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TomMcC:
You could also look at the Fox 2.0's. Compare them to the 5100. I think the Fox is rebuildable and costs about $140 apiece. Don't know if you want to spend that much.
View Quote

I'll chime in here. I had a Ranger Tremor and ATE Fox shocks like tic tacs. Kept getting them replaced under warranty until I said fug it. I put 5100s on my older Taco and liked them a lot.
Not a fan of Fox after that ordeal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

I'm about to put Rancho 9000XLs on my Jeep.
I don't care about the poser factor of branding on shocks. I just want something that works at a "reasonable" cost. I've read plenty of reviews and there's a few YouTubers with them on their tricked out jeeps and they are happy with them. Plus, rancho reps seem to be active on various 4x4 forums answering questions directly and openly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Shocks are not going to fix sagging when towing.  That is was stiffer springs or air bags are for.

"Stiffer" shocks affect the dampening and rebound

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks for the input!  I have 55,000 miles on the ranger and the last time I had the oil changed they said one of the front struts were weeping just a little but were still ok.  Thats why I started looking for replacements.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:15:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Bilsteins are best for most people.
Do not get King/Fox/Icon/etc race shocks unless you know what you are getting into maintenance wise. Having to pull them out and replace stuff every every few months sucks. Even more so if you don't have tools and know how to DIY and have to ship them off and pay someone to do it while your car is out of service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top