Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2024 2:29:01 PM EDT
It’s a Toro 2000 hdx
Roughly 200 hours on it
It’ll turn over but not start
I suspect it’s some bad gas left over from the winter
But they don’t make it easy to drain this thing. In fact the manual says to not attempt to drain the fuel tank, instead take it into the shop…whatever

I have id’d the part of the fuel line that connects to the fuel filter but getting it down past all the internal parts to let gravity do it’s work is challenging.  I think I’d have to raise the entire thing up and get underneath. Anyone have any luck doing this?

I don’t think more than about a gallon of gas is in there so would pouring in a couple gallons of fresh gas fix it?

I haven’t ruled out this being a sparkplug issue but I think it’s the gas.

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the ON / OFF switch in the ON position?

Is the oil level full?, a low oil sensor can trigger a no ignition event.

Yes, fill with fresh gasoline.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:46:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#2]
Install a F/L shut off on exposed fuel line after tank, shut off and run carb dry. Try to start it with some starting fluid to see if it'll pop the shut off poppet solenoid loose on the carb. [anti backfire]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Bad seat switch?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:34:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#4]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Use carb cleaner as starting fluid.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, the pressure pulse from the engine rotation runs the vast majority of mower fuel pumps, make sure the line is attached and isn't cracked or broken. You can always try gravity fed temporarily and give the carb a tap, the needle could be stuck in the seat.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#7]
A couple different things could be the problem based off last years.

Cracked fuel line.  Bad impulse fuel pump.  Clogged/cracked little fuel filter patched in fuel line.  Low battery.  Bad carburator . Replace any of these.

Bad gas, dump and replace.

Bad seat switch.  Bad brake switch.  Disconnect switch and jump ends to complete circuit to test.    I have a park/ brake switch that just needed adjusted to indicate correctly.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 8:47:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nophun] [#8]
Carb bowl is often the springtime no-start culprit, they get a bit of schmutz in there which locks the little shut down
soleniod in the down position preventing fuel flow.  Simple cure is to pull the bowl and clean with carb clean or
whatever until it loosens  up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Assume you’ve checked the three requires?
Air
Spark
Fuel

Which is missing? Are you just assuming it’s old gas?  Dump a shot glass of fresh gas in the carb and see if it fires.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Start with the easy stuff. At the least siphon out all the old gas you can. Dump in some seafoam (several oz) and follow with fresh gas. While someone runs the starter, spray some carb cleaner in the carb.  If it doesn’t fire at least a pop then it’s not fuel or air, so it’s spark. (At the simple level)   So look at the spark plugs and replace.  

At a minimum you should get some pops trying the above.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:05:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Newl] [#11]
Spark, fuel, compression; at least one isn't there.  

Check for spark first.  If you have spark, move on to fuel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top