Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:36:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Not with this gun. My rounds were landing feet left, right, high and low

Friend also shot it, he too had bad impacts far away from the target.
View Quote
There's a lot to unpack in this response.

I responded in the reloading forum thread, and just made it through all 7 pages of this version.  It seems like each time someone tries to help you along, you come up with yet another reason why it absolutely has to be the gun.  I don't doubt it is likely the gun, but before throwing money at it, eliminate all the cheap variables.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:49:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By rabidus:

Groupings were 8" @ 12 yards using 135gr Nosler and 200gr Montana Bullet Works. Moved COL out, in, tried the full powder charge as recommended by Hodgdon. All were absolute crap groups. Also tried different charges using different COLs.
View Quote
So, it's a Glock?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:58:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotar] [#3]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I think OP is smart.  I do the same thing when I get a new gun.  

I tear it apart and make sure I find something wrong so when I can't shoot it I know what to blame.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
If you are going to accuse a manufacturer of being out of spec then you need to make an accurate measurement. Using a set of calipers to measure a smaller round hole is not an accurate measurement. I would only trust OP's measurement to be accurate within 0.010 or 0.015" of the real measurement. I'm not going to explain why using a set of calipers is not an accurate way to measure a hole. OP has wasted enough of my life on this stupid thread. It's like a long drawn out safe thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By boomeruni:
I do enjoy how many people think every person has a toolbox full of every high end tool for randomly measuring this or that. Sure a single pin gauge isn't that expensive, but why would he buy one for this? One guy recommended a starrett 78 which is what 900-1000? I only have a box full of shit because my grandpa and dad were machinists. No way random dude is spending thousands of dollars to measure their reloads and a random hole here and there.
If you are going to accuse a manufacturer of being out of spec then you need to make an accurate measurement. Using a set of calipers to measure a smaller round hole is not an accurate measurement. I would only trust OP's measurement to be accurate within 0.010 or 0.015" of the real measurement. I'm not going to explain why using a set of calipers is not an accurate way to measure a hole. OP has wasted enough of my life on this stupid thread. It's like a long drawn out safe thread.

IMO, complete BS. Dial calipers are probably the most popular precision measuring tool on the planet. Why? Because they work just fine for 87% of the applications that one might encounter. Hornady and other sell cheap calipers because they are quite adequate for the job at hand. Does one really need to measure case diameter or overall length down to a "tenth"? No.

The little bit of machining that I do is mostly tooling like bushing drivers for rebuilding transmissions and hydraulic rams. +/- .001 is within the capability of a dial caliper and, again, quite adequate for the job at hand. I use standard micrometers for cylinder bores, shafts, crankshaft journals, etc.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

Actually, I messed that all up. Paying attention to too much....again.

.00045. 45 hundred thousandths, nearly ten times fifty millionths,  what we'd call four and a half tenths which really messes with normal people, and even worse for people who use metric who work in microns who would call it 11. Weirdos.

Still not as bad as tire people referring to 4/32 of tread.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

Actually, I messed that all up. Paying attention to too much....again.

.00045. 45 hundred thousandths, nearly ten times fifty millionths,  what we'd call four and a half tenths which really messes with normal people, and even worse for people who use metric who work in microns who would call it 11. Weirdos.

Still not as bad as tire people referring to 4/32 of tread.

I thought 45 ten thousandths was wrong but didnt wanna say nothing. I thought it should of either been in hundred thousandths or 4.5 ten thousandths. But then I got to questioning myself. Its been a awhile since I've dealt with such measurements.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AeroE:

Pro's don't sneer at dial calipers.  Digital is preferred in some shops for speed and reduced errors when reading the measurement.

Vernier calipers are painful, despite everyone's skill reading a micrometer, it ain't the same.

The issue with attempting precision inside measurements with a caliper are the flats ground into the jaws.  Close, but not precision.  The error depends on the part radius of curvature, the smaller the radius, the greater the error.  The error is negligible on huge radii.

Don't buy plastic guns.  Metal >> plastic.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By diesel1:
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
Originally Posted By zephyr:
It's a $30 caliper.

You may find this surprising.

I took a set of cheap Hornady calipers to a USAF PMEL once as a joke and had them checked on their ceramic block things.

I was there with an inspection team doing a compliance inspection.

The $35 Hornady calipers passed all requirements and the kids even put a PMEL sticker on the box as a joke.

My point is, OP's calipers are likely fine. The issue you have with calipers or any hand measurement tool is operator error.

Not surprised at all. Pro machinists sneer at dial calipers but, if one is not doing aerospace-level work and .001 is "good enough", they are fine. Operator technique is a factor in using any precision measuring device. A gentle touch on the caliper thumbwheel or the micrometer thimble (It's not ##### c-clamp!) will produce accurate, repeatable results.

Modern dial calipers are awesome compared to old-school vernier units that were like a slide rule.

I took many measurements and some were .432" .4325" etc..

I know my hand is not steady but I used a fair amount of pressure to push the caliper to make as much contact on the chamber as possible. As I squeezed, the numbers shrank.

It's all I have/had to be able to give data for this thread.

I couldn't start the thread with, "Hey fellow firearms enthusiasts, I just fired my new Glock 10mm. I noticed when reloading my ammo, the cartridge rattled in the chamber and my groups were 8" or more. What could be wrong with the gun?"

Pro's don't sneer at dial calipers.  Digital is preferred in some shops for speed and reduced errors when reading the measurement.

Vernier calipers are painful, despite everyone's skill reading a micrometer, it ain't the same.

The issue with attempting precision inside measurements with a caliper are the flats ground into the jaws.  Close, but not precision.  The error depends on the part radius of curvature, the smaller the radius, the greater the error.  The error is negligible on huge radii.

I only used a vernier once. Or maybe learned to use it and said, "eff this" and grabbed a dial unit.

I've seen digital calipers used in production environments that are connected to the Q.C. software for statistical process control.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]

I only used a vernier once. Or maybe learned to use it and said, "eff this" and grabbed a dial unit.

I've seen digital calipers used in production environments that are connected to the Q.C. software for statistical process control.
View All Quotes
It's a $30 caliper.

I took a set of cheap Hornady calipers to a USAF PMEL once as a joke and had them checked on their ceramic block things.

The $35 Hornady calipers passed all requirements and the kids even put a PMEL sticker on the box as a joke.

My point is, OP's calipers are likely fine. The issue you have with calipers or any hand measurement tool is operator error.

Not surprised at all. Pro machinists sneer at dial calipers but, if one is not doing aerospace-level work and .001 is "good enough", they are fine. Operator technique is a factor in using any precision measuring device. A gentle touch on the caliper thumbwheel or the micrometer thimble (It's not ##### c-clamp!) will produce accurate, repeatable results.

Modern dial calipers are awesome compared to old-school vernier units that were like a slide rule.

I took many measurements and some were .432" .4325" etc..

I know my hand is not steady but I used a fair amount of pressure to push the caliper to make as much contact on the chamber as possible. As I squeezed, the numbers shrank.

It's all I have/had to be able to give data for this thread.

I couldn't start the thread with, "Hey fellow firearms enthusiasts, I just fired my new Glock 10mm. I noticed when reloading my ammo, the cartridge rattled in the chamber and my groups were 8" or more. What could be wrong with the gun?"

Meh. Not much worse than using the vernier scale on your mics.

Attachment Attached File

But, I need my visor to read most anything now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By StevenH:
OP,

Where in California are you? I’ll be in OC a couple weeks in April. I’ll shoot your gun and even provide the ammo to show you where the problem is.
View Quote

I’m 2-3 hrs from OC. Thanks for the offer. I should have a final conclusion by then. I’m planning on shooting this Sunday with a couple boxes of factory ammo, 180gr and 200gr jacketed.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Jason280:

I responded in the reloading forum thread, and just made it through all 7 pages of this version.  It seems like each time someone tries to help you along, you come up with yet another reason why it absolutely has to be the gun.  I don't doubt it is likely the gun, but before throwing money at it, eliminate all the cheap variables.  

View All Quotes
Not with this gun. My rounds were landing feet left, right, high and low

Friend also shot it, he too had bad impacts far away from the target.

Agreed. I’ve already said it could be my reloads. Will shoot factory ammo this weekend. Supported.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Also, my friend was shooting my reloads. I know I know, never shoot someone’s reloads etc..

The ammo he shot was already tested to be safe pressure from my testing the day before.

I didn’t have any factory ammo last weekend. But I will this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:44:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#13]

IMO, complete BS. Dial calipers are probably the most popular precision measuring tool on the planet. Why? Because they work just fine for 87% of the applications that one might encounter. Hornady and other sell cheap calipers because they are quite adequate for the job at hand. Does one really need to measure case diameter or overall length down to a "tenth"? No.

The little bit of machining that I do is mostly tooling like bushing drivers for rebuilding transmissions and hydraulic rams. +/- .001 is within the capability of a dial caliper and, again, quite adequate for the job at hand. I use standard micrometers for cylinder bores, shafts, crankshaft journals, etc.
View Quote
I'm sure OP's calipers are precise enough to make measurements down to 0.001" or 0.0005", but is he accurate enough? You don't measure small holes like this with calipers, you use inside micrometers, bore gauges, pin gauges, etc... ETA: most people I've seen hold the part they are measuring in their hand and not laying across other parts at an angle, maybe this was for photo taking.

How deep are the jaws of his caliper?
What angle is he attacking the bore from? Is he off by a degree or a half degree?
How does he know he is on the centerline of the bore and not off by a few thousandths?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:52:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rabidus] [#14]
I'm sure OP's calipers are precise enough to make measurements down to 0.001" or 0.0005", but is he accurate enough? You don't measure small holes like this with calipers, you use inside micrometers, bore gauges, pin gauges, etc... ETA: most people I've seen hold the part they are measuring in their hand and not laying across other parts at an angle, maybe this was for photo taking.

What angle is he attacking the bore from? Is he off by a degree or a half degree?
How does he know he is on the centerline of the bore and not off by a few thousandths?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346870/glock_barrel_cutaway_jpg-3163915.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/346870/glock_barrel_cutaway_jpg-3163915.JPG

I did the green measurement and got the largest number.

But it was hard to hold it firmly, hold my phone and hold it steady.

I did get some readings .431. Also rotated the calipers in the barrel and took reading. The 12 oclock - 6 oclock was the largest opening and measurement.

It I would also do a 9oclock- 3 oclock, 11-5 oc etc.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Also, my friend was shooting my reloads. I know I know, never shoot someone’s reloads etc..

The ammo he shot was already tested to be safe pressure from my testing the day before.

I didn’t have any factory ammo last weekend. But I will this weekend.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Soon….

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m a glutton for punishment from gun manufactures. This is the 3rd pistol in 3 years (twice from Colt, now this Glock) that will have to go back to the manufacture, bought new.

Groupings were 8” @ 12 yards using 135gr Nosler and 200gr Montana Bullet Works. Moved COL out, in, tried the full powder charge as recommended by Hodgdon. All were absolute crap groups. Also tried different charges using different COLs.

SAAMI:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/IMG_0042_jpeg-3162198.JPG

Glock Perfection.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/IMG_0043_jpeg-3162199.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/IMG_0039_jpeg-3162200.JPG
View Quote

Wanna know how you are telling me you don’t know squat about measuring things and how guns are made?

First off, you can’t use calipers to measure that. Do you have gage pins? Telescoping gages?

Second off, chambers are supposed to be loose like that. If they were tight you wouldn’t get any shell extraction. Yes, match chambers are tighter-but match guns are for larping and combat guns are for running whatever ammo you come across that might even have a little dirt on it.

Ever wonder why you only ever see 1911 guys practicing failure drills at a range? Yeah.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

Wanna know how you are telling me you don’t know squat about measuring things and how guns are made?

First off, you can’t use calipers to measure that. Do you have gage pins? Telescoping gages?

Second off, chambers are supposed to be loose like that. If they were tight you wouldn’t get any shell extraction. Yes, match chambers are tighter-but match guns are for larping and combat guns are for running whatever ammo you come across that might even have a little dirt on it.

Ever wonder why you only ever see 1911 guys practicing failure drills at a range? Yeah.
View All Quotes
I’m a glutton for punishment from gun manufactures. This is the 3rd pistol in 3 years (twice from Colt, now this Glock) that will have to go back to the manufacture, bought new.

Groupings were 8” @ 12 yards using 135gr Nosler and 200gr Montana Bullet Works. Moved COL out, in, tried the full powder charge as recommended by Hodgdon. All were absolute crap groups. Also tried different charges using different COLs.

SAAMI:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/IMG_0042_jpeg-3162198.JPG

Glock Perfection.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/IMG_0043_jpeg-3162199.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/IMG_0039_jpeg-3162200.JPG

Thanks! You’re the first person to mention that in almost 8 full pages!

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:55:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ridgerunner9876] [#19]

View Quote

Do you have a telescoping gauge under .4"?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Do you have a telescoping gauge under .4"?
View Quote

Yes, I do. Down to 3/8”.

Tool and die maker with 33 years in.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

No. He’s not. You just fail at reading.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#22]
How does the op manage to buy every new defective gun made ?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By NachoDip:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NachoDip:

Wow….
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
View Quote

Bad luck with guns…..best luck evah with my wife.

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#25]
My KKM barrel came in today, 2 weeks early.

Checked the chamber and it’s a hair tighter than my Glock barrel.

It’s raining this weekend, will have to wait until Monday-Tuesday to shoot/test.

Maybe it was my reloads all along….

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#26]
It’s been a great weekend!

1. Got a new truck on Friday.
2. My new KKM barrel arrived Friday, 2 weeks early.
3. My reloads shot better out of the KKM than factory Glock Barrel
    (to those who mocked me pages ago on my reloads/skills)
4. Factory ammo was on par with the Glock barrel and KKM.
5. I reloaded the same Nosler 135gr and MBW 200gr (as I did when I created this thread and got 8” groups) and shot out of my KKM barrel *see #3
6.  Glock barrel chamber is poo. My measurements may be suspect (due to not owning a $1000 tool) but the loaded cartridges and their wobble in the chambers between both barrels were correct and matched the groupings.

I just played with powder charge today. I will adjust COL and .+/-.1 gr to see if I can tighten groups.

KKM barrel and PMC bronze 200gr factory ammo
Attachment Attached File

Same ammo as above but with Glock barrel
Attachment Attached File

Montana Bullet Works and KKM barrel (7.5gr Longshot)
Attachment Attached File

Nosler 135gr ASP 1.26” COL  10gr CFE pistol.
Attachment Attached File

Thank you to those who were helpful and considerate and gave me benefit of the doubt.
Might send in the Glock barrel and see what they say. If they send it back, no big deal, will use the KKM
barrel.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#27]
OP, if I was Glock, I’d give you your money back and send you to my competition.

Some people aren’t worth dealing with.

Have a great day 👍
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:

And then everyone started a slow clap.
View Quote

Nope, I bet they all carried OP out on their shoulders like in Rudy or some shit
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#29]
It's a combat handgun...
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
It's a combat handgun...
View Quote

Very true. Both my g19s shoot great with reloads/factory Winchester 115gr training.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:56:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bronsonburner] [#31]

Very true. Both my g19s shoot great with reloads/factory Winchester 115gr training.

View All Quotes
It's a combat handgun...

The Glock barrel looks to be shooting around 3" groups.  That's not 8".  And not a whole lot worse than the whatever aftermarket barrel you decided it needed.  Sorry, I must be missing something.

ETA: In any event it's a non-issue IMO.  All groups are minute-of-bad-guy chest.  It's not a target pistol.  Different strokes I suppose but I gave up "load development" for accuracy in most of my handguns long ago.  I devote most of my "accuracy" efforts into precision rifle rounds.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Both barrels seem to shoot better with factory ammo.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#33]

The Glock barrel looks to be shooting around 3" groups.  That's not 8".  And not a whole lot worse than the whatever aftermarket barrel you decided it needed.  Sorry, I must be missing something.
View All Quotes
It's a combat handgun...

My creating of this thread, I got a new g29sf. Got 8” groups at 12 yards using the Glock barrel.
Using:
1. Nosler 135gr reloads.
2. Montana bullet works 200gr WNFP reloads

I didn’t have any factory ammo.  Usually my reloads get me ballpark and not 8” groups.

Horrible horrible groups. I then measured the Glock chamber with my reloading caliper. Got mocked. “YOU CANT ACCURATELY MEASURE YOUR CHAMBER WITH A $30 CALIPER!”

You can’t reload! You can’t shoot! Blah blah blah….

Im moving on after this thread but was validated that my Glock barrel was/is bad and it’s not my shooting/reloading.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#34]

My creating of this thread, I got a new g29sf. Got 8” groups at 12 yards using the Glock barrel.
Using:
1. Nosler 135gr reloads.

I didn’t have any factory ammo.  Usually my reloads get me ballpark and not 8” groups.

Horrible horrible groups. I then measured the Glock chamber with my reloading caliper. Got mocked. “YOU CANT ACCURATELY MEASURE YOUR CHAMBER WITH A $30 CALIPER!”

Im moving on after this thread but was validated that my Glock barrel was/is bad and it’s not my shooting/reloading.
View All Quotes
It's a combat handgun...

Using:
1. Nosler 135gr reloads.

YOU put this in GD bro, so you can deal with whatever people say.  I say the Glock barrel isn't bad.  If my eyes aren't lying to me by the groups you show above I'd say it's pretty average.  Anyway, glad you're happy and congrats on the new ride!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Using:
1. Nosler 135gr reloads.

View Quote

So you proved the factory barrel can shoot acceptably accurate for a Glock with 3" groups and that your reload was at fault (likely poor bullet choice for the gun) and are taking a victory lap? Bold move.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Uh, hate to break the news to you, but, no, you didn't get validated...

You shot 3" groups with low budget factory ammo... That is more than acceptable by anyone's standard for a combat handgun. A glock is not a $2500 Les Baer hand fitted match pistol.

I would bet you could buy 4 or 5 different brands of carry ammo and find some that would group under 2". But shooting cast lead reloads? uhm, yea... No one except you thinks a glock should fire 1" groups from a factory barrel with lead reloads, or else "its junk" or the "barrel is bad".

Please make sure to explain in your return letter to glock why you are sending it back is "because of poor groups with cast lead reloads..."

And please, come back and let us know what they say!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I want to hear more about how he went to an Army training center and his shooting skills were so impressive that Majors and Colonels dropped what they were doing and watched in amazement.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JeepersCreepers:

I want to hear more about how he went to an Army training center and his shooting skills were so impressive that Majors and Colonels dropped what they were doing and watched in amazement.

View All Quotes

I believe him.
Happened to me when visiting the FBI academy, the even made a documentary about it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Dont forget the nod and the "Damn"... those are the best parts!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#40]
KKM does have tighter chambers than the factory Glock barrels and they are that way on purpose. Glock chambers their barrels with reliability not specifically accuracy in mind. At least not 1911 accuracy.
Perhaps you'd be better off with 1911's to play with.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
Calipers aren't really that precise, you need a mic for real accuracy.
View Quote

A mic and a chamber casting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:35:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJ0311] [#42]

“The folks at Glock tell me that shooting lead bullets in their barrels, regardless of generation, has the potential to build up lead residue in the barrel to the point of increasing pressures to dangerous levels, which is one of the reasons the manufacturer does not recommend non-jacketed bullets for use in any of its pistols.

The reasons polygonal barrels and lead bullets don’t work well together stem from the sizing and hardness of the bullets, as well as the manner in which polygonal barrels impart spin on the bullet to ensure stability and accuracy.

For lead bullets to work satisfactorily in a polygonal barrel, they have to be on the higher end of the hardness scale and loaded to moderate pressures. There is a fairly fine line between success and failure in this arena.

Unlike conventionally rifled barrels with lands and grooves that engrave their twist pattern into the bullet, polygonal rifling is relatively smooth and imparts its spin to the bullet by swaging its twist pattern onto the projectile. This leaves less of a mark than conventional rifling and minimizes deformation to the exterior of the bullet. All but the hardest and properly sized lead bullets tend to skid on polygonal rifling, leaving unwanted deposits that build up over a relatively small number of shots. This degrades accuracy and increases pressures, making frequent inspection and cleaning a necessity.”

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/should-you-shoot-lead-bullets-in-glock-barrels/

@rabidus
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#43]
It's been a great weekend!

1. Got a new truck on Friday.
2. My new KKM barrel arrived Friday, 2 weeks early.
3. My reloads shot better out of the KKM than factory Glock Barrel
    (to those who mocked me pages ago on my reloads/skills)
4. Factory ammo was on par with the Glock barrel and KKM.
5. I reloaded the same Nosler 135gr and MBW 200gr (as I did when I created this thread and got 8" groups) and shot out of my KKM barrel *see #3
6.  Glock barrel chamber is poo. My measurements may be suspect (due to not owning a $1000 tool) but the loaded cartridges and their wobble in the chambers between both barrels were correct and matched the groupings.

I just played with powder charge today. I will adjust COL and .+/-.1 gr to see if I can tighten groups.

KKM barrel and PMC bronze 200gr factory ammo
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/IMG_0092_jpeg-3168412.JPG

Same ammo as above but with Glock barrel
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/IMG_0091_jpeg-3168403.JPG

Montana Bullet Works and KKM barrel (7.5gr Longshot)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/IMG_0087_jpeg-3168405.JPG

Nosler 135gr ASP 1.26" COL  10gr CFE pistol.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170028/IMG_0089_jpeg-3168407.JPG

Thank you to those who were helpful and considerate and gave me benefit of the doubt.
Might send in the Glock barrel and see what they say. If they send it back, no big deal, will use the KKM
barrel.
View Quote
Why would you send the glock barrel back? Your groups with factory ammo look about the same with both barrels. Don't expect Glock is gonna do much for you when you explain your secret sauce pissin' hot cast handloads don't group to your satisfaction, but factory ammo is gtg

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Hueto:
Just wanted to say that you can't accurately measure ID of something with a caliper.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hueto:
Just wanted to say that you can't accurately measure ID of something with a caliper.

Funny, for shits and giggles I just measured a small bore with a pair of $20 digital calipers and get the same exact measurement when using a pin gauge.

I'm pretty tired of the platitude that "calipers are not accurate". Any time I've ever compared them to a mic or pin gauges, they've always been within .001" or better. Yes, technique is involved to get reliable measurements, but that's true of pretty much anything.

It's a $30 caliper.

My point is, OP’s calipers are likely fine. The issue you have with calipers or any hand measurement tool is operator error.

Not surprising at all. Digital calipers have been around forever, it's extremely refined technology at this point.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:26:15 AM EDT
[#45]
I just can't wait until OP does what several of us asked him to do from the get-go: get someone else who isn't on his payroll to shoot his pistol with the stock barrel and factory ammo and NOT intentionally shoot shitty.

Just kidding. He's never going to do that. The power of the ego is an impressive thing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

How much for the barrel that shoots the same as the factory barrel?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:56:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 03RN:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1000000621_jpg-3172471.JPG

View Quote

I LOL’d

Un-fuckin real.

They shoot the same groups
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:11:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By FMJ0311:

“The folks at Glock tell me that shooting lead bullets in their barrels, regardless of generation, has the potential to build up lead residue in the barrel to the point of increasing pressures to dangerous levels, which is one of the reasons the manufacturer does not recommend non-jacketed bullets for use in any of its pistols.

The reasons polygonal barrels and lead bullets don’t work well together stem from the sizing and hardness of the bullets, as well as the manner in which polygonal barrels impart spin on the bullet to ensure stability and accuracy.

For lead bullets to work satisfactorily in a polygonal barrel, they have to be on the higher end of the hardness scale and loaded to moderate pressures. There is a fairly fine line between success and failure in this arena.

Unlike conventionally rifled barrels with lands and grooves that engrave their twist pattern into the bullet, polygonal rifling is relatively smooth and imparts its spin to the bullet by swaging its twist pattern onto the projectile. This leaves less of a mark than conventional rifling and minimizes deformation to the exterior of the bullet. All but the hardest and properly sized lead bullets tend to skid on polygonal rifling, leaving unwanted deposits that build up over a relatively small number of shots. This degrades accuracy and increases pressures, making frequent inspection and cleaning a necessity.”

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/should-you-shoot-lead-bullets-in-glock-barrels/

@rabidus
View Quote

Yet people have been using lead bullets successfully for years. I'd probably buy a nice barrel because it's a drop in the bucket long term.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:46:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

I LOL’d

Un-fuckin real.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:
Originally Posted By 03RN:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1000000621_jpg-3172471.JPG

I LOL’d

Un-fuckin real.

Except OP can't even seem to shoot a consistent number of rounds. Maybe 4 shots, maybe 5...question you gotta ask yourself, seeing as how this is a 10mm Glock and the most powerful larping gat in the world*, is do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?

*It's a small world

The concept of a statistically significant sample size clearly eludes OP. Let alone interpreting data points to come to a conclusion...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By jalcon9:
My G20 Gen4 the chambered round def moves in the barrel. I can hear it. I've confirmed this in a few ways and it bothered the shit out of me for months. Luckily I have two friends with Glock 20s and I literally tried every combination of my extractor, springs, my barrel, their slide you name it. I even tried a KKM barrel. Still did it. I eventually narrowed it down to my slide . Literally if I tap the right side of the side it'll be quiet. Tap the left side and shake it, bullet rattles. I can even do this with a chambered slide while the slide is not even on the frame, but everything else in place barrel, recoil spring etc. stick a pencil eraser side in the barrel, and it'll stay quiet. I duplicated this in their slides too but not as much as mine does.
It is definitely something to do with the way the extractor is grabbing the rim of the cartridge. I've tried 4 extractors, they all do it different extractor plungers you name it, I've tried it. Something to do with my particular slide, maybe the cutout slot for the extractor idk.

I ended up sending it to Glock, they didn't say much really. Shoots fine. Seems accurate enough although I'm not a great shooter. I stopped caring about it.

https://i.postimg.cc/V65Ps1xk/IMG-3344.jpg
View Quote
The fact that you started caring about it at all is what is perplexing.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top