Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 3/25/2024 12:52:09 PM EDT
So it came up the other day that in one of our social circles( mostly people 30s-40 with kids the same age as ours) that my wife is the only one that isn’t tracking her husband’s location all the time via a phone app. Apparently all the other women have trackers on their husbands phones.

My response was kind of like what the ? I think it’s just odd these people are tracking their spouses location. Does anyone else think it’s weird to track your spouses location? Now the wife wants to put trackers on our phones and was put off because I said no. Heck I haven’t even hooked up the smart home stuff at our new house because I’d rather flip a switch then scream at the damn Alexa to turn the light on. I also found out that my boomer parents are even doing the tracker thing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I turn that crap off on my iPhone. Wife has life 360 to keep track of our son.

No way I wanted anything like that on my phone. Where I go as my business.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:55:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: any7ven] [#2]
I do wife and son

…wouldn’t be dragged into parents or in laws if my life depended on it - they are retired

…and he’s an after school bus kid so its nice to make sure he makes it home

has also saved us a trip to the store a few times if one of us realizes the other is at the grocery store…”can you pick up this?”
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#4]
It should go both ways.  We use Google Maps here for everyone in the family, kids included.  I only reference it if someone is over due from the expected time but my wife uses it to stalk my movements.  Whatever, I've never ran out on her or been to questionable places so there is no reason to track me but I also don't care if she does since I don't things like that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife has the ability to track me, but I'm not sure she's ever used it.

She's not insecure.  I'm not philandering.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
Does that mean I can track her too?
View Quote

I would suppose. Wasn’t really  clear if the husbands were doing any tracking. It seemed like something only the wives were doing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Track your kids? Elderly parents? Employees in the field?  Yes, yes, yes.

Spouse? Only if your wife is driving out of town overnight to visit the grand kids?

If they don’t trust you, or they want to know where you are at all times because they are stepping out and don’t want you showing up at the wrong time, you have a problem.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#8]
The only time I permitted this was when I was solo and riding across multiple states on the bike, or when on multi-day hiking expeditions.  Other than those occasions, that crap is OFF.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#9]
When I got out for an impromptu hike or ride yeah, it’s a handy thing to have.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#10]
We used Life360 for a while as a family when our oldest started driving.  It came in handy a few times as far as estimating when to start dinner or he could see when I was out and about and asked me to grab something, etc.  

Don't recall when or why we got rid of it but haven't missed it.  He just sends me an omw text as he leaves work and I let him know my plans for the day the night before.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't want mine know how frequently I am at gun stores!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I worked with a guy who's wife did that.  Pretty fucked up IMO.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:00:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#13]
My entire family uses Life 360 so any of us can see where the others are at any time.

I must live a boring life because there’s nothing for her to spy on. Went to work, okay? Had a beer at a buddy’s, okay? Went to the gun shop, okay? She would get bored if she was using it to find conflict.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I love to ride my motorcycle alone, in remote backroads.  I have peace of mind that my wife can see where I am (or where was last seen) in case something happens to me.  

Same reason why my best friend of 25+ years shared his location to me.  He didn't share location to his wife, only me and his wife does not know this.  He lives on the other side of the USA.   If something happens to him that he disappeared for 24+hrs without any reason, I'd be able to see his last location.

I don't go snooping what he does as idgaf. He knows that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Only know one gal at work that used it.
Seems he was a drunk and at the bar all the time.
She divorced him.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#16]
to each their own, but my wife and I choose not to do any of that tracking shit, including our kids' phones.  The whole decision for us boiled down to: it frames the entire relationship from a place of distrust, and that's not the kind of relationship we want to have with each other or our kids.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#17]
LOL read my sig
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:04:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BDinNC] [#18]
I travel for work frequently.  GPS tracking has completely eliminated the obligatory "where in the state are you" small talk phone call when I'm out and about.

WORTH IT.

I don't fuck around on my wife or go to stupid places with stupid people so its a non-issue.  I'm sure some manly men on here are all "where I go is my business" have super-healthy 4th marriages that don't share their location with their spouse.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I use Life360 to drive my wife nuts with my driving habits

accelerate quickly, brake hard, and feel the need, the need for speed.

much hilarity ensues

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Stokes:

View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:06:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rat1624] [#22]
Wife and I share location. Also have a couple friends and my father in law. Wife and I aren’t worried about each other, not even really sure why we do. Kinda fun sometimes to blow someone hell seeing where they are if they’re out or something.

Friends and I doubt do we see where each other are in tge river do we can join up and drink beer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Simple solution, I got rid of my women.

Just beer Xbox and moto at my house now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:09:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: trio] [#24]
My wife and I have, and all my kids for that matter, our location services turned on on our phones, iPads. AirPods, I even have an air tag on my wallet.  

I don’t care that my 22 year old son can see where I am.  Or my wife.   Or that I can see where my wife is.   I do like that I can see where my 12 year old daughter is if need be by her AirPods or phone.

ETA:  I don’t know that any of us have ever used it to track anyone.  But it’s really fucking helpful to have it active and on when your AirPods fall out of your pocket in a hotel lobby sofa
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Family phone locations are only shared with those that need to know. Very handy on so many occasions.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#26]
We share location via iMessage

It actually comes in handy. I leave work for home and a pot of coffee is magically waiting. I see she is at the store I send a quick note asking to get X.

I am hunting and in the woods she can see when I hike out (I have cell coverage in my areas). If something happens to me in the dark woods she knows where I am.

It seemed creepy but now that I am used to it, it has become good to have.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds convenient to know where your life partner is.  We don’t do phone tracking but I carry a satellite tracker that is set to update my position every 30 mins when in the backcountry or offshore, also can text.

The concern is:  What is someone up to that they need to know where you are every minute of a normal day?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
My wife and I can both see where the other person's phone is on Google maps.  She is often in meetings all day, and sometimes has work events in the evening, and I often don't answer the phone (or forget that I turned the ringer off) - so it's a very convenient feature to be able to double-check where the person is if you cannot reach them.

I don't see it as "tracking" - i see it as a useful feature.
View Quote
Very similar situation, but we have the Find my friend app. Me, wife & our three kids.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#29]
That's messed up, do people not communicate with each other anymore?  Seems like there's some real trust issues.

If I'm going to the store I'll call/text my wife to let her know.  Not because I have to, but because I'm not an asshole and we communicate with each other.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Stokes:

View Quote

That Avatar
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#31]
I taught my wife to use it to track me

my last job took me to some sketchy parts of town and into people's houses (or shelters) alone.

I had no objections to someone knowing where I was.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I would not care if my wife wanted to track my phone and I track hers.
She goes to work while I stay home.
He is at home, he is walking the dog, he went to Walmart. Ain't no mystery.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#33]
And the smart ones will leave their phone in a certain location and use the burner.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#34]
We have the whole family on 'find my iphone'.   It's not for snooping, it's for security in case there is a serious problem we can get to them to help.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#35]
And have her know how much time I spend at the LGS?  N f'ng way.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:17:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#36]
My GF did the share your location on Google maps to me so if she ever needs help. But I think it's too intrusive for trusting adults. I don't think goodgle maps say where they stopped and spent time, it just shows current position, no speed.

I know if you have Google timeline on it tracks every place you live been and how many minutes you spent there. It will be specific and say you were at this gunstore, drove 10 minutes to the grocery store spent 20 minutes there and spent 5 minutes driving home.

Most don't realize that if they have snapchat it will show your exact location your at.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:18:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#37]
We have shared location on for everyone in the family that has a phone.

Plan for the worst and all that.

Any of us can get on maps and see where anyone else is at.

Why would anyone be worried about their spouse being able to see where they are?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Hard pass on opting into another level of the dystopian surveillance state.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I use it mostly to make the dogs think I am omniscient.  When the wife gets close I run to the door before they do and get them all hyper just as she pulls in.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#40]
We've used Life 360 ever since our kids got their first cell phones. We even have my sister, two of her daughters, her son, and a cousin on it.

It started as a way to keep track of our kids, but as they got older added family because we're all really close, spend a lot of time together, cook for each other, and babysit, etc, so it helps knowing where everybody's at and how close they are to home.

My son moved to Oregon and still keeps it logged in. We only use it to see if he's still at work to know when we can call him, not to spy on him. And now that he's doing a lot of hiking (he wants to do a 60 mile trail in the mountains) I feel safer knowing if he doesn't turn up when he's supposed to, we'll be able to help locate him.

We're not paranoid. None of us have anything to hide. In fact, I like it because my wife knows when I'm heading home from work so she knows when to start dinner.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Not something my wife and I do. If she wanted to I wouldn’t put up too much of a fight. Other than going to the gun store I got nothing to hide.

I have sort of a back door way to track her in that I can see where her vehicle is at. My 1997 doesn’t offer that feature.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#42]
My wife works from home and I know where she is based on that.

I work from home between 3 and 5 days a week, so she knows where I am. When I leave I say I am headed to the office, or home depot etc. If she leaves she tells me where she is going, I say have fun. Its normally for her a friends house ( maybe 1 day a month she is a home body ) and I dont even know where that friend lives.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Life360 is a great family app. The wife and I know where our boys are, I know where she is (she's a real estate agent) and she can see where I am. Very useful.

Now, I suppose I could see where some folks may not like it, especially if there's something untoward going on.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#44]
NSA IS RECORDING WHERE YOU GO AS WELL AS YOUR SPOUSE. JUST SAY NO TO IPHONE.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#45]
I track my wife all the time.
I do it so that I can estimate how much time I left to play World of Tanks before she gets home.  Give myself just enough time to turn the game off and be in the process of taking the garbage out just as she pulls up.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Wife  and  Grown Kids  all  have  my location.   I  am remote  tower tech and bounce between states  and  counties.  figured  if I keel over they will have a starting  point  to look .

I know  work  has  my location between the  truck, computer and phone
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By taliv:
I use it mostly to make the dogs think I am omniscient.  When the wife gets close I run to the door before they do and get them all hyper just as she pulls in.  
View Quote

Heh but that might be a problem if TSHTF...

Dog #1: Hey, there's all those guys wearing black and carrying guns coming up the driveway... should we bark?

Dog #2: Nah, the boss didn't bark, so they must be good to go

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#48]
She tracks me to know when to start dinner so it's ready when I get home
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Wives trust google more than their husbands.  Problem.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:27:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scrum] [#50]
I wouldn't care.  My life is boring.  Bed, shower, coffee machine, walk to home office to work, to home gym to workout, back to home office to work, get in truck to kids' sports/activities, back to home office to work on side business, eventually back to bed to sleep, repeat.  I go to church.  I go to the range.  I work out.  I walk the dog.  If I go anywhere else, I usually have either her or a kid with me.  When I travelled all the time, she wasn't even really interested in what city/state I was in.  If the government got a hold of my daily routine it would be like a kid at the zoo tapping the glass waiting for me to do something worth watching.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top