Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2024 9:20:09 AM EDT
Man I've been putting this off for too long...

I need to wire a compressor to panel, it's a mid-sized upright (45gal), I need to figure what wire size for a
run of either 12-15' or 20-25' depending on final location. This will be a temporary, so no romex.

Based on the motor specs, what size breaker and wire, and what type of wire? Wire will be running across
the floor of a small room to get through the wall to the compressor, though I could run in on the surface of
two short walls.

Motor:

208-230V
15 amp
SF 1
L.R. amps 93
Output 2.98 KW
Emerson definite purpose compressor motor.

What do i need here?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:25:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#1]
Originally Posted By nophun:
Man I've been putting this off for too long...

I need to wire a compressor to panel, it's a mid-sized upright (45gal), I need to figure what wire size for a
run of either 12-15' or 20-25' depending on final location. This will be a temporary, so no romex.

Based on the motor specs, what size breaker and wire, and what type of wire? Wire will be running across
the floor of a small room to get through the wall to the compressor, though I could run in on the surface of
two short walls.

Motor:

208-230V
15 amp
SF 1
L.R. amps 93
Output 2.98 KW
Emerson definite purpose compressor motor.

What do i need here?
View Quote

12 ga should work but I’d do 10ga. I like overkill when it comes to sizing wires and also like more circuits than needed. Lots of house/building fires start from overloaded wires.

20 amp breaker.

I wouldn’t leave it on the floor. Too much chance of damage. Code wise, that would be a big no no. But, even if you don’t care about codes I still recommend against it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Silly question, 15 amps per side or 15 amps total?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
Silly question, 15 amps per side or 15 amps total?
View Quote

It just says 15 amps on the motor. The label on the compressor says 3.5 amps running, but it's
older and that may inaccurate from the days when they lied about HP. (around 2006)
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

12 ga should work but I’d do 10ga. I like overkill when it comes to sizing wires and also like more circuits than needed. Lots of house/building fires start from overloaded wires.

20 amp breaker.

I wouldn’t leave it on the floor. Too much chance of damage. Code wise, that would be a big no no. But, even if you don’t care about codes I still recommend against it.
View Quote

Any problem with stapling romex right to the wall then? I could hang EMT as well and pull, looking for the easy button here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:52:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#5]

Any problem with stapling romex right to the wall then? I could hang EMT as well and pull, looking for the easy button here.
View Quote

Temporary? I’m sure that would be fine. Technically Romex needs to be protected from damage, typically being inside walls, but it’s run like that all the time without issue. I have exposed Romex in the rafters of my shop and it’s fine.

You could run armored cable too. Your run isn’t long so wouldn’t be expensive.  I’d probably run 12 ga armored cable if it’s only a temp install. If it was permanent I’d probably run 10 ga just so I could have a bigger unit at a later time if I wanted to. Will it have a plug or hard wired? If hard wired then it should have a disconnect near the compressor. If a plug then the plug acts as the disconnect.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:54:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#6]
12 ga will be fine but as was said I'd go with 10 to handle any start-up surges.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Temporary? I’m sure that would be fine. Technically Romex needs to be protected from damage, typically being inside walls, but it’s run like that all the time without issue. I have exposed Romex in the rafters of my shop and it’s fine.

You could run armored cable too. Your run isn’t long so wouldn’t be expensive.  I’d probably run 12 ga armored cable if it’s only a temp install. If it was permanent I’d probably run 10 ga just so I could have a bigger unit at a later time if I wanted to. Will it have a plug or hard wired? If hard wired then it should have a disconnect near the compressor. If a plug then the plug acts as the disconnect.
View Quote

Hard wired, I'll p/u a disconnect when I get the wire.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You could even do a motor rated DPDT switch.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:39:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighCaliber] [#9]
12g is fine.

Personally I would bump it to 10g.

If the panel is in sight of the equipment then you likely don’t need an additional disconnect.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Update: running the compressor or 20A breaker and ~20' of 12/2 Romex temporarily; everything is running just fine.

Changed plan to moving unit into storeroom, which is really wasted space, and piping air out to garage area to save
a tiny bit of floorspace there as well. I'll update the wiring to a more permanent situation at that time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top