Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Fallen:

I could probably do a better job of explaining it if I was in front of my Mac because I primarily use pcs. Basically it boils down to app organization using excessive screen real estate in a device that's already lacking it. It also has the same problem as windows 11 in taskbar grouping and switching windows. The menu bar being disconnected from the application window and not being adjustable is also ridiculously outdated. When I have multiple applications up at once, it seems like I'm always clicking on the menu for the wrong one. There's more that I hate about it but that's a start.
View Quote
The menu bar being "disconnected" from the app is on purpose. While it's contextual, it's actually part of the OS, not the app.

the rest of your issues sounds like it can be resolved by a combination of CMD H to hide apps and CMD TAB to quickly switch between them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
The menu bar being "disconnected" from the app is on purpose. While it's contextual, it's actually part of the OS, not the app.

the rest of your issues sounds like it can be resolved by a combination of CMD H to hide apps and CMD TAB to quickly switch between them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I could probably do a better job of explaining it if I was in front of my Mac because I primarily use pcs. Basically it boils down to app organization using excessive screen real estate in a device that's already lacking it. It also has the same problem as windows 11 in taskbar grouping and switching windows. The menu bar being disconnected from the application window and not being adjustable is also ridiculously outdated. When I have multiple applications up at once, it seems like I'm always clicking on the menu for the wrong one. There's more that I hate about it but that's a start.

I know it’s intentional and part of the os. It’s been that way since at least system 6.  It was ok then because multitasking wasn’t done much, these days it’s archaic. I’m not going to tab through a dozen open apps. Better ways already exist, that’s why I still use them.

This also reminded me of another thing I hate about windows 11, fucking up the show desktop button.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#3]

I know it's intentional and part of the os. It's been that way since at least system 6.  It was ok then because multitasking wasn't done much, these days it's archaic. I'm not going to tab through a dozen open apps. Better ways already exist, that's why I still use them.

This also reminded me of another thing I hate about windows 11, fucking up the show desktop button.
View Quote
Sounds like you got it all figured out
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:59:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been watching the thread.
I get a kick out of Operating Systems design discussions by those who have never designed an operating system
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

Microsoft was just trying to copy Apple's UI but never understood that Mac OS has a terrible UI. Don't get me wrong, they have a great UX but the UI sucks. Windows has a great UI but a terrible UX and windows 11 was a step back in UI.
What about MacOS UI that you don't like?

I was wondering when you would show up.  
I've been watching the thread.
I get a kick out of Operating Systems design discussions by those who have never designed an operating system

That’s GD in a nutshell.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:00:46 AM EDT
[#5]

I know it's intentional and part of the os. It's been that way since at least system 6.  It was ok then because multitasking wasn't done much, these days it's archaic. I'm not going to tab through a dozen open apps. Better ways already exist, that's why I still use them.

View Quote

Windows key + D

There is a way to modify and customize practically anything in windows.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:06:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:

Windows key + D

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gitarmac:

Windows key + D

That’s great and all but I’d rather have the button. I know you can still get it back but it’s just an extra step and now when I go to another computer it’s setup different.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:06:24 AM EDT
[#7]
What's the difference?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mark9000:
I only use Macs and Linux in my house. I have used Unix for decades which is what the Mac really is and Linux is a Unix clone. There is no need for Windows unless you have an application that you need it.

I run Windows 10 in a virtual machine on Linux only because there I wanted native MS Office in my Linux box. Had problems running MS Office 2013 Pro under Wine on Linux. After fighting with it for a while I just installed Windows 10 in Virtual Box. And that was that.

Install MX Linux or Linux Mint any version and call it a day.
What's the difference?

Unix today is from the work of Bell Labs System V and is proprietary. Apple's Mac OS is descended form Nextstep which was based on the Mach kernel and BSD. Neither of which has anything to do with Linux but rather Unix.

Linux is open source and is only the kernel which was developed by Linus Torvalds because he wanted an open source version of Unix. The rest of it comes from other sources.

Technically Linux is Unix-like.

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/linux-vs-unix/
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:07:25 AM EDT
[#8]
That's because windows 11 sucks balls.  Pop up ads and they still haven't fixed the taskbar.  Fuck all that.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:03:08 AM EDT
[#9]

That's great and all but I'd rather have the button. I know you can still get it back but it's just an extra step and now when I go to another computer it's setup different.
View Quote
I hear ya. I really do.

I had a feature in some of the first developer builds called "single window mode". It was a purple button that sat on the right corner of the window (opposite the red, yellow and green buttons) that when clicked would send everything but that window to the dock.. and when you clicked something else that window would come up and the previous window would be in the dock.

I'll have that feature back at some point
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:04:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Unix today is from the work of Bell Labs System V and is proprietary. Apple's Mac OS is descended form Nextstep which was based on the Mach kernel and BSD. Neither of which has anything to do with Linux but rather Unix.

Linux is open source and is only the kernel which was developed by Linus Torvalds because he wanted an open source version of Unix. The rest of it comes from other sources.

View Quote

Finally someone who knows what they are talking about

@Josh
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]

@Josh
View All Quotes

@Josh

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By memsu:
Every other windows version sucks.

98 good
ME bad
XP good
Vista bad
7 good
8 bad
10 good
11 bad
View Quote

2000 was good and XP was bad until the second or third service pack.  3.1 / 3.11 was huge for MS.  

11 is OK and I don't get adds.  What does piss me off is google trying to get me to log in or pushing chrome on my cell phone.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:30:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gordo556] [#13]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

You wanted to move to a better but more expensive hardware platform for some time and were willing to learn a different OS to do so and you finally did.

Nothing wrong with that, Mac laptops are top tier if you want the best laptop out there for power and battery life since the M chips came out.

But just be honest about it.
View Quote

I was honest about it, im not hiding it. while apple is superior for ME the more I use it and learning it, I had alot of interest in a MAC due to my devices I use personally.
With my grown hatred towards new windows OS's for a while, and while my foot was out of the door because of it, windows 11 was the last straw and it gave me the final push when I experienced using it. I really had plans to stay windows due to software required for building automation controls, vehicle tuning software, and etc. it gave me the push I needed to move onto better hardware and a better OS for my personal needs. I do use W10 for my work laptop and I bust out the old windows XP laptop for old work software for antiquated/no longer supported/discontinued equipment.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Gordo556:

I was honest about it, im not hiding it. while apple is superior for ME the more I use it and learning it, I had alot of interest in a MAC due to my devices I use personally.
With my grown hatred towards new windows OS's for a while, and while my foot was out of the door because of it, windows 11 was the last straw and it gave me the final push when I experienced using it. I really had plans to stay windows due to software required for building automation controls, vehicle tuning software, and etc. it gave me the push I needed to move onto better hardware and a better OS for my personal needs. I do use W10 for my work laptop and I bust out the old windows XP laptop for old work software for antiquated/no longer supported/discontinued equipment.

View Quote
I'm loving me some win11
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm loving me some win11
View All Quotes

I'm loving me some win11

There is always a love-hate relationship with new OS's as they mature. Windows OS's tend to take longer to mature than Mac versions.

Windows 11 is really quite good now but was hated a lot early on. Windows 10 was hated early on but was superseded by W11 hate.

Lots of people don't recommend upgrading MacOS until the .1 or .2 version comes out

And that happens every year on a cycle while Windows can take over a year before its 'polished' enough to use
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

There is always a love-hate relationship with new OS's as they mature. Windows OS's tend to take longer to mature than Mac versions.

Windows 11 is really quite good now but was hated a lot early on. Windows 10 was hated early on but was superseded by W11 hate.

Lots of people don't recommend upgrading MacOS until the .1 or .2 version comes out

And that happens every year on a cycle while Windows can take over a year before its 'polished' enough to use
View Quote
Jokes on them.. by the time it's released, it's 2 years old already.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes

lol

I live dangerously with iOS beta updates (since iOS 7), beta Apple TV updates, and public previews on W11.

Apple Watch I have always stuck towards the regular public channel as it's a device I can't easily unfuck if something goes wrong like I can with everything else.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Windows 10 LTSC for the win. No Edge. No Microsoft Store. No OneDrive. Only gets security updates and bug fixes. No feature updates. Support guaranteed for 5 years (10 if you do the IoT version).

Microsoft very much doesn't want you to buy this version and make it hard to get.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By thejokker:
Computer security is not sexy and goes un-noticed but is never the less very important.  The reason for upgrading your hardware for Windows 11 is for hardware based computer security.  Yes; Microsoft has an annoying habit of changing the name of features and how to do things but it is very easy to type into a search engine "how to do "X" on Windows 11.  Turning off annoying features is similarly solved.

Not upgrading your O/S is the computer equivalent of "defunding" the police".
View Quote
Do you know the definition of a quisling?

The fact that you can Google all the ways to undo the stupidity that Microsoft is doing with each successive Win11 version is emblematic of the problem. Sure, people like hardware based computer security. But then you have to decrapulate your computer again. MS could do it the right way. They're choosing not to and I'm glad to see them losing market share with Win11.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
Win11 was the straw on the camel's back that finally convinced me to go all-Linux. It's been disheartening to watch the best OS platform decay into a cesspool of confusing/inconsistent GUIs, ads/telemetry, and forced cloud accounts.

Funny enough, a lot of Windows software now works better on Linux than it does on Windows. Wine/Mono have gotten really, really good since Valve got involved. I'm down to about 2 - 3 Windows applications that actually require Windows.
View Quote
I'm heading there. My next build will probably be linux and then I'll do just enough to keep this one going as windows. More and more stuff comes out with Linux versions as well now. More and more of the Windows environment is becoming toxic. I personally am not a huge linux fan, but it keeps getting easier and more practical for a reasonably tech savvy user to switch. I'd have to just suck it up on a few games here or there, that'd be the big annoyance for me. Everything else is a non issue for me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a pc that is still running Win7. It can’t be changed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:35:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Remyrw:
I'm heading there. My next build will probably be linux and then I'll do just enough to keep this one going as windows. More and more stuff comes out with Linux versions as well now. More and more of the Windows environment is becoming toxic. I personally am not a huge linux fan, but it keeps getting easier and more practical for a reasonably tech savvy user to switch. I'd have to just suck it up on a few games here or there, that'd be the big annoyance for me. Everything else is a non issue for me.
View All Quotes
Win11 was the straw on the camel's back that finally convinced me to go all-Linux. It's been disheartening to watch the best OS platform decay into a cesspool of confusing/inconsistent GUIs, ads/telemetry, and forced cloud accounts.

Funny enough, a lot of Windows software now works better on Linux than it does on Windows. Wine/Mono have gotten really, really good since Valve got involved. I'm down to about 2 - 3 Windows applications that actually require Windows.

People have been saying the same thing for the past two decades and Windows keeps sticking around with widespread adoption.

It was the same thing when W10 came around and it got the hate until W11 was launched.

Linux being the next big thing has been a meme forever
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes

I still keep a windows laptop, and a windows boot drive for my workstation, but that's primarily for compatibility with clients.  Most of my day to day stuff is now linux.

My gripe about windows (outside of the bloat and the advertising) is that there are too many seemingly arbitrary changes to workflow as automated updates.   Updates shouldn't reset or undo setting already set in the computer, especially around security and privacy.

I know I'm old school on this (cue old man yelling at clouds), but I expect my OS to be a stable platform.  Every time I do X, it does Y.  I expect my programs and applications to behave similarly.  

The whole moving everything behind multiple mouse clicks thing; I don't like it, but can work around it once I figure out where they moved my stuff.  But moving shit every few months because Microsoft hired some new UX guy?  Fuck that.

IMO, they need to stabilize the front end releases, and refocus on the back end improvements.  (Which I acknowledge have been substantial from W7>W10>W11).  

Oh yeah, and get rid of the tracking and advertising crap.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:55:49 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

On the subject of games on Linux, things are so much better now than they were 20 years ago. The only game I have that doesn't work so far, is Assassin's Creed (the original).
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:17:25 AM EDT
[#25]
ATL+F4
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:00:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Sartorius:
Windows 10 LTSC for the win. No Edge. No Microsoft Store. No OneDrive. Only gets security updates and bug fixes. No feature updates. Support guaranteed for 5 years (10 if you do the IoT version).

Microsoft very much doesn't want you to buy this version and make it hard to get.
View Quote

"‎Saturday, ‎September ‎15, ‎2018, ‏‎1:09:26 AM"  That is when I installed Windows 10 LTSC on this computer.  The computer just works.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:09:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#27]
Originally Posted By ZF-1:
ATL+F4
View Quote

Does that reboot the airport or the World of Coke?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ZF-1:
ATL+F4

If it resets the airport I'm willing to give it a shot.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By EastRiverSD:
I just want my Windows XP back
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#30]
This thread...
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By mbg0001:

I still keep a windows laptop, and a windows boot drive for my workstation, but that's primarily for compatibility with clients.  Most of my day to day stuff is now linux.

My gripe about windows (outside of the bloat and the advertising) is that there are too many seemingly arbitrary changes to workflow as automated updates.   Updates shouldn't reset or undo setting already set in the computer, especially around security and privacy.

I know I'm old school on this (cue old man yelling at clouds), but I expect my OS to be a stable platform.  Every time I do X, it does Y.  I expect my programs and applications to behave similarly.  

The whole moving everything behind multiple mouse clicks thing; I don't like it, but can work around it once I figure out where they moved my stuff.  But moving shit every few months because Microsoft hired some new UX guy?  Fuck that.

IMO, they need to stabilize the front end releases, and refocus on the back end improvements.  (Which I acknowledge have been substantial from W7>W10>W11).  

Oh yeah, and get rid of the tracking and advertising crap.
View Quote

Recently Microsoft rearranged the icons for my business 365 menu, they also changed the admin icon from grey to blue.  How fucking infuriating is that?  I wanted to make a simple email change and had to stop in the middle of my task and look through the entire list twice.  The first time looking for a grey icon that didn't exist anymore and the second time reading each individual icons text.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Recently Microsoft rearranged the icons for my business 365 menu, they also changed the admin icon from grey to blue.  How fucking infuriating is that?  I wanted to make a simple email change and had to stop in the middle of my task and look through the entire list twice.  The first time looking for a grey icon that didn't exist anymore and the second time reading each individual icons text.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
Win 11 is a POS from my experiences. I run Win 10 and plan to upgrade everything to Linux, probably Zorin, as time goes. Already have one machine for the reloading room that runs Zorin. I very much like it.

Now, CAD devs need to forget the mac garbage and focus on making Debian and RHL releases.
View Quote

Back in the day, they were unix focused. (Sun, HP, IBM and SGI)  Back in the late '90's, my employer had to buy a unix box to run Catia so we could continue to be a supplier to Daimler-Chrysler.  At the time, ProE was developed on unix boxes and ported over to windows.  

The market is Windows now, so going back to any sort of unix/linux is not happening.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By not_sure:

Back in the day, they were unix focused. (Sun, HP, IBM and SGI)  Back in the late '90's, my employer had to buy a unix box to run Catia so we could continue to be a supplier to Daimler-Chrysler.  At the time, ProE was developed on unix boxes and ported over to windows.  

The market is Windows now, so going back to any sort of unix/linux is not happening.
View Quote
That's interesting. I can understand why a port to windows would have been done on the 90s.

But Unix is the most prominent OS in the world (I forget the amount but I think it's something like 10 to 1) so not doing or maintaining a Unix port seems odd.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#36]

People have been saying the same thing for the past two decades and Windows keeps sticking around with widespread adoption.

It was the same thing when W10 came around and it got the hate until W11 was launched.

View All Quotes

At least back to the early 90's which would have been windows 3.1.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:47:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: not_sure] [#37]
View All Quotes

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/201503/unix-jurassic-park-718x523.jpeg

I was the one that got to do Catia. It was HP-UX thank you very much. The IBM guy was way too used car salesman so no AIX for me.

ETA:  I had the only unix box the company owned and had the only Catia license.  I was on my own. For Catia support, there were something like 3 guys and only one that knew what he was doing.  He was Asian and I want to say Indian but don't recall, but it has been over 2 decades.  The other 2 would end up sending me to him when they couldn't answer my questions.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:55:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: not_sure] [#38]

https://i.giphy.com/5yuC2vIsQJdoA.webp
View All Quotes

It would be like hiring a plumber to unclog a drain and they paint your bathroom a different color while they are at it.   Or they rearrange the furniture in your living room.

ETA, And in the unlikely event the asshole at Microsoft in charge of changing things for no reason is reading this, fuck you, fuck your mother and fuck your dad for not using a condom.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#39]

It would be like hiring a plumber to unclog a drain and they paint your bathroom a different color while they are at it.   Or they rearrange the furniture in your living room.

ETA, And in the unlikely event the asshole at Microsoft in charge of changing things for no reason is reading this, fuck you, fuck your mother and fuck your dad for not using a condom.
View All Quotes

If I wind up pissing in the kitchen sink because the bathroom is a different color, then the plumber might not really be the pressing issue.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By st0newall:
windows 2022 server datacenter master race checking in (runs on two dell laptops). its basically windows 11 with all the crap and helper things removed. actually more efficient than win11.

and it retains the old style taskbar.
View Quote
What are Temu Server 22 DC licenses going for today?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#41]
...  What other taskbar problems am I missing that make it unusable?
View Quote
The taskbar suck that kills 11 for me.... A large part of my daily workflow involves user created 'custom' toolbars that are folders of shortcuts to other places and things I need quick, simple access to. Taking away the ability to make these user toolbar folders will be a large wrench thrown into the spokes of my productivity.

Has this removed feature been put back yet?

... and to make things a little more interesting, adding something like Open-Shell or playing with reghacks isn't going to fly on a corporate Citrix VDI system or a managed / locked down corp laptop.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By DaveM4K:

"‎Saturday, ‎September ‎15, ‎2018, ‏‎1:09:26 AM"  That is when I installed Windows 10 LTSC on this computer.  The computer just works.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DaveM4K:
Originally Posted By Sartorius:

Windows 10 LTSC is the best Windows ever. I have it on four computers but I'm trying to move to linux.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:49:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Amish_Bill] [#43]
...Now you have the same (or more) information presented to you without having to touch a mouse at all.  ...
View All Quotes
...Now you have the same (or more) information presented to you without having to touch a mouse at all.  ...
... and here is the a disconnect. From what I recall as direct user support, the ONLY people that see the mouse as a secondary navigation device are devs/programmers. There may be a few outliers, but the majority of people I've interacted with don't consider the keyboard a navigation tool. It's an entry tool.

This reminds me of the Win8 arguments between the "hit a key and type it's name" folks and the "I don't know what the eff it's called, the icon looks like 'this' and I get to it by clicking here and here" folks.

What about MacOS UI that you don't like?
I can't get used to the weird scrollbars and no F5 to refresh a browser window. I assume those haven't changed since the last time I used a Mac?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:10:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:
... and here is the a disconnect. From what I recall as direct user support, the ONLY people that see the mouse as a secondary navigation device are devs/programmers. There may be a few outliers, but the majority of people I've interacted with don't consider the keyboard a navigation tool. It's an entry tool.

This reminds me of the Win8 arguments between the "hit a key and type it's name" folks and the "I don't know what the eff it's called, the icon looks like 'this' and I get to it by clicking here and here" folks.
View Quote

It’s not just primary vs secondary input methods, the search box mixes input methods too. Click, type, click. That’s a bad UX.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:29:38 AM EDT
[#45]
MS employee: We're getting a lot of complaints about win 11.

MS higher up: Well they're wrong.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:52:17 AM EDT
[#46]
What are Temu Server 22 DC licenses going for today?
View Quote
Probably ran the Massgrave activator.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#47]

I can't get used to the weird scrollbars and no F5 to refresh a browser window. I assume those haven't changed since the last time I used a Mac?
View Quote
Command-R refreshes the page OR you can map that to the F5 key in settings if you choose.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By TStick:
MS employee: We're getting a lot of complaints about win 11.

MS higher up: Well they're wrong.
View Quote
Windows biggest selling point is also its biggest problem: compatibility.
They are hampered by certain things that they can't easily change without breaking app compatibility.

When you combine that with the culture at MS it makes for a very slow development cycle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:54:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OldGlazier] [#49]
I'm loving me some win11
View All Quotes

I'm loving me some win11

Classic Shell and getting rid of Safe Mode or whatever the fuck it is and I'm fine.
eta: What are these ads most keep talking about?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#50]

It’s not just primary vs secondary input methods, the search box mixes input methods too. Click, type, click. That’s a bad UX.
View All Quotes

100% optional.
Page / 8
Top Top