Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

The .41 magnum Marlins are usually on GB in small numbers, and they go for $2k+

No side gate, no care.

As soon as Henry makes a side gate .41, or as soon as Ruger Marlin or S&W make a .41, I'll order one.
View Quote

Agreed, I have been lobbying Henry to add the side gate .41 Mag for a couple of years but so far to no avail.  If Ruger of S&W make it I will grab one pretty quick.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By OKnativeson:

alot of Bear Guides back in the 80's and 90's swore that the .41 mags out performed .44 mags in real world gunplay with bears. they always mentioned Penetration.

I imagine now with the custom shops like Garrett and Buffalo Bore and Underwood(SP) thats changed.
View Quote

The data indicates a perfect record for the .44.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Unlubed:
.357 is a wee tiny bit bitchy. Like it can drink a lot but then later pukes in the flowers. .44 Mag is like the smoking hot chick that everyone wanted in high-school but by the time you got it you where 24 and everyone else had already been there and yeah it's strong but only because it has to lift its own fat. .41 mag though, my God. #blessed
View Quote

I have a .41, inherited from my father. It was what I always thought of as his gun growing up. As a result I have a certain fondness for the caliber.

Why is it not more popular?

1. It is a revolver cartridge and semi autos have been all the rage since the mid 80s at least.

2. It was late to the game in the revolver world

3. Realistically a .357 is perfectly fine as a defensive/police/self defense revolver. The .41 was so powerful that there were originally two loads for it, a hunting load (full powered) and a defensive load (reduced power.) Well if you are going to carry reduced power ammo then why not get the more common, more available, and lighter .357?

4. The people who wanted big bore magnums for hunting, to pretend to be Clint Eastwood, or for whatever other reason went with the .44 magnum. Why go for second place?

5. And when a cartridge becomes an "also ran" in the competition, few have a desire to purchase it as there will be limited ammo availability.

It's a great cartridge all around and, like I said, I have a fondness for it. But I also understand that there really isn't any compelling reason for anyone to purchase anything in .41 Magnum.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DonS:

The data indicates a perfect record for the .44.
View Quote

and damn near perfect record for a 9mm.
its a wash.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Because it's a chambering only desired by weirdos.
It's a well known fact that 41 mag is a favorite of carnies and hobos.
Both of my brothers really like it. That should tell us something.

If I think of any other reasons, I'll add them later.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DevilDog0402:
For me, it doesn't do anything I can't do with .357 mag, .44 mag, or 10mm.  If I was rich, I'd probably have a couple just for fun though.
View Quote

Kind of nails it. .357 can be built light enough you hardly notice it, and recoil still isn’t terrible. .44M is crazy loud, typically heavy and frankly a quick follow up shot is tough. .41 is a nice middle of the road and better balance of recoil/ size - but is equivalent to a 10mm and honestly I prefer 15 to 6 any day.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By gsc0527:

Kind of nails it. .357 can be built light enough you hardly notice it, and recoil still isn’t terrible. .44M is crazy loud, typically heavy and frankly a quick follow up shot is tough. .41 is a nice middle of the road and better balance of recoil/ size - but is equivalent to a 10mm and honestly I prefer 15 to 6 any day.
View Quote

More like .460 Rowland.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Dunno if @The_Dog has seen this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
For me, it doesn't do anything I can't do with .357 mag, .44 mag, or 10mm.  If I was rich, I'd probably have a couple just for fun though.

10mm<357<41<44
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Glock63:

In what way did it perform better?   The answer is it doesn't.  The trajectory difference within handgun hunting range is negligible, to put it mildly.  We are taking an inch, give or take, at 100 yards.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Glock63:
Originally Posted By StevenH:
The 210Gn .41Mag performed better on deer than the 240Gn 44Mag. 300Gn 44M JHP going mainstream changed things

In what way did it perform better?   The answer is it doesn't.  The trajectory difference within handgun hunting range is negligible, to put it mildly.  We are taking an inch, give or take, at 100 yards.

Flatter trajectory, lower recoil and greater sectional density when comparing factory 210 to 240.

I handgun hunted with scoped 5” revolvers. For the greater range than the 12Ga slugs I was otherwise limited to by game regs. 12Ga was a 120-yard gun for me. .41Mag was good out to 200.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#11]

I handgun hunted with scoped 5” revolvers. For the greater range than the 12Ga slugs I was otherwise limited to by game regs. 12Ga was a 120-yard gun for me. .41Mag was good out to 200.
View Quote

Seems like the sabot slug options in 12ga would stretch that range out a bit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Jason280:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jason280:

Yeah, lots of people went that route. Or scoped in-line muzzle loader. or bolt action rifled 20Ga. Now they all use .350 Legend (aka 9mm Long Rifle)
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GrantS:

...... and a Bisley flat top.
View Quote

A Bisley flat top in .44 Spl?? Was it made by USFA? Because if so we might have just become twins.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:14:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Dunno if @The_Dog has seen this.
View Quote

I just did.  But father's estate is going to be my priority for a bit.

That said, I am one of the founding members of the .41 Rem Mag Master Race.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:  I just did.  But father's estate is going to be my priority for a bit.

That said, I am one of the founding members of the .41 Rem Mag Master Race.
View Quote

Sorry to hear.  Hope he left you an awesome collection of .38-40s.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:32:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SDGlock23] [#16]
I've had a number of .41 Mags, overall it's great.  The issue is that gun and bullet/ammo variety is limited so you're limited on pretty much everything.  Performance wise the 44 Mag is better in every way and there are tons of gun and bullet/ammo options out there.  The .357 Mag and 44 Mag are my two all time favorites, but I suppose if someone wanted to split the difference, the 41 Mag would be ideal.  What's with people saying 10mm is like a .41 Mag?  The .41 Mag blows the 10mm out of the water and then bitch slaps it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 19ontheslide:

A Bisley flat top in .44 Spl?? Was it made by USFA? Because if so we might have just become twins.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 19ontheslide:
Originally Posted By GrantS:

...... and a Bisley flat top.

I don’t know what his is but Ruger did some Bisley 44 Specials a few times.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm surprised with the resurgence of the 10mm, that the 401 Power Mag cartridge hasn't been brought back to life.....with .400 bullets rather than .403".

Tony

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Because the .40 super is awesome!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

OK...  jumping in now that estate stuff is dealt with till the next emergency...

What a .41 mag does is clears the shooting spots on either side of you at the range, especially indoor ranges.  Something about the sound seems to disturb people more than a .44 mag.  Non-scientific testing is how we came to this conclusion.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
I've always wanted a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 magnum to carry on my hip, for bear and cougars.
View Quote

Yeah...  I've got two Smiths, a Taurus Tracker, a Marlin Lever and a Deagle.  I really need a single action.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
I really, really want a 3in 41mag for carry.
View Quote

I carried my Taurus Tracker all over the Colorado Rockies.  It's a pretty good shooter.  Ported barrel makes it very controllable.  5 round cylinder makes it pretty petite for a magnum revolver.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By sakohntr:
When I find a 41 mag lever gun, it's going home with me.
View Quote

Mine is not for sale.  Henry makes one in the Big Boy series, but I've not seen it in the wild.  When I do, it's coming home.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SnowMexican:
It's the only one of the bunch that was designed to be a Magnum handgun cartridge from the outset and is the most ballistically efficient as a result.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By pukindog:
At this point it's probably almost like a Catch 22 type situation.

More people don't buy them because the guns and ammo are expensive.
The guns and ammo are expensive because more people don't buy them.

I would eventually like to have one, but I have a long list ahead of it.
View Quote

As much as I love the caliber, I would never recommend someone who isn't a reloader to buy one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:57:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Dog] [#26]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Sorry to hear.  Hope he left you an awesome collection of .38-40s.  
View Quote

I got 3 really clean Smith .357 wheel guns, along with a Smith 915 I gave him 25 years ago to use as a truck gun at the MS farm.  I also got his old Winchester lever gun in .308 and an old Marlin lever gun in .22.  There was a Rem 1100 from '64 that I gifted to the husband of one of my nieces since he's a hard core bird hunter.  I'm a pump gunner.  Muscle memory doesn't allow me to shoot a semi-out shotgun.  There were a bunch of nice leather holsters, some duty belts and a not insignificant amount of ammo.  It was a decent addition.  Most of it is going to take up permanent residency at the Custer house.    

No...  you can't have any of them.

And that's enough post whoring.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
I really, really want a 3in 41mag for carry.
View Quote

Get one with big soft grips if you do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Because people lack style and taste ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

Really.  What can 41 do that the more popular options cant?
View Quote

Make you more interesting because you don't have the same boring calibers as everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:14:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scooter1942] [#32]
I like a .41. Especially with 265 gr. hardcast.

4" 657

5.5" Bisley Blackhawk Distributor Exclusive

4" 657 Mountain Gun

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Scooter1942:

https://i.imgur.com/ZqUksxm.jpg
View Quote

Blackhawks with Bisley grips are the only kind I'll buy. They really help tame recoil, for me anyway.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By The_Dog:

OK...  jumping in now that estate stuff is dealt with till the next emergency...

What a .41 mag does is clears the shooting spots on either side of you at the range, especially indoor ranges.  Something about the sound seems to disturb people more than a .44 mag.  Non-scientific testing is how we came to this conclusion.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By The_Dog:

The Model 58 that I’ve talked about w/pics in this thread, DAO, bobbed hammer, round butt, scalloped trigger guard…..
30+ yrs ago, I took my 12 yr old daughter to the range with me. She probably weighed 70-80 lbs at the time.

The range is very large and nicely equipped, with multiple stations for handgun, rifle & shotgun, up to 1,000 yds. After shooting a few structured sessions at 15 & 25 yds, she asked if we could go to the plinking range for fun.

Sure! The plinking range is a wall of railroad crossties stacked about 2 ft high, with an earthen backstop, with the firing line about 7-10 yds if my memory serves me correctly. No stationary targets or stands, you can put anything you want on top of the crossties, except no glass. There’s soda cans, std vegetable cans, etc. Any caliber or gauge of any weapon is permitted.

There are a few men shooting soda/beer cans. My daughter is hitting close to 100% with the 58 with both hard cast lead/Unique loads that are as hot as possible with lead, plus 210 JHP over H110 that are near max loads. Every time she fired, the recoil upward was significant, plus she’d take a half step backwards. One of the men finally asked “what in the h*** is she shooting?”  I told them, they were amazed and shook their heads as if puzzled. We called the range cold, I walked down to reset “our” cans, they were pretty much shot up. I found some empty 12 ga hulls and set 6 up for her. Once the range went hot, she hit 5 out of 6 with 6 shots, and we left. She’ll be 50 this fall, she can still outshoot my SIL. My youngest daughter will be 45 in Aug, she can outshoot her husband, and has probably taken more deer than him.

They started shooting with my oversight/supervision when they were 8 or 9. The oldest is a realtor, you can be assured that she is carrying when showing houses, she started with a .380, but moved up to a compact 9mm a few yrs ago.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:34:01 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Clearly you're a good man with sophisticated tastes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Scooter1942:

4" 657
https://i.imgur.com/K40DHhT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZqUksxm.jpg

4" 657 Mountain Gun
https://i.imgur.com/CjPmueu.jpg

View Quote

I'd like to have that Blackhawk.
Never seen one like it.

Just an FYI

@Scooter1942
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By cspackler33:
40s&w of revolvers

....and I kinda like 40s&w, it's just not doing anything anyone really needs past what's already available.
View Quote

LOL, yes, this
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Can you shoot .41 special out of it
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Sharp guns
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By QUACK32:

View Quote

You can handload a .41 Mag to any velocity you want to, just like a .357 or a .44 Mag. with less bullet "jump" than what you get with a Special round in a magnum chamber.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By QUACK32:

View Quote
7-8 Gr of Unique with a 200Gr bullet will do that.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top