Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2024 2:51:40 PM EDT
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/politics/baltimore-key-bridge-immigration-analysis/index.html

"All of those missing were immigrants, outsiders who had come to the US from Mexico and Central America for a better life. Their stories and aspirations mirrored the lives of millions of new entrants to the United States. They are far more representative of the migrant population than the extreme and misleading picture often spouted about migrants by Donald Trump. The Republican presumptive nominee often falsely claims foreign countries are sending their "worst people" as a de-facto invasion force to the US. "Under Biden, other countries are emptying out their prisons, insane asylums, mental institutions, dumping everyone including mass numbers of terrorists into our country. They're in our country now," Trump said at a rally in Manchester, New Hampshire, ahead of the state's presidential primary in January."

No disrespect to the dead, but where they here legally?  Were they paying taxes as well?  When are we doing an article on how innocent Americans are killed by some of these people?  What about the ones that get into car accidents with no license or insurance?  What about all the ones squating, collecting .gov (my/our tax)money?  I dont see that article being written soon.

I am first generation, of legal immigrants.  What is crossing the border now is not the same thing.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#1]
i remember 10 15 years ago i was all over the comment sections of the local and nat news

i dont think any news outlet lets people comment openly. too many things seem racist and anti-establishment if you let em
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck CNN.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wc22312:
i remember 10 15 years ago i was all over the comment sections of the local and nat news

i dont think any news outlet lets people comment openly. too many things seem racist and anti-establishment if you let em
View Quote

The comment sections have been gone for a while, but they were kind of entertaining. They were a total shit show though, if I ran a website I wouldn’t want that troll fest on it either lol it was just all people trying to stir the pot and piss each other off
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Those comments would be flagged as misinformation
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
They used to.  I trolled them regularly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#7]
So the entire crew working on the bridge were illegals? I thought all they did was pick fruit and hoe weeds.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Deport all of the 50-70 million illegals here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#9]
That’s a rhetorical question. Do you seriously not know why many of the platforms disabled comments after Covid?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:43:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RayFromJersey] [#10]
Both CNN and Yahoo got rid of their comments around the time I joined this forum.

It was obvious why they closed the comments; every top comment contained facts that proved the article to either be completely false or highlighted their bias.

edit: I believe they claimed the reason was because they wanted the comments/conversations to happen on their social media pages instead of on the direct websites.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:47:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RealityCheck0311] [#11]
Almost all of big name websites stopped allowing comments under stories.

I used to post on ESPN articles all the time and then one day *poof* it's gone.

Most likely it saves them money because they don't need someone moderating.

The one that pisses me off the most is IMDB.com

They used to allow comments at the bottom of every page and also had a separate forum.

There was so much information there. Like sketchy stories about Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, Dan Schneider, and so many other Hollywood types that only started to get into trouble 10+ years later. When all of the actors were pretending to be confused and never being aware of it, I was thinking "GTFO, there was dozens and dozens of threads on the imdb comments sections (like at the bottom of Harvey Weinstein's page) about these guys back in the 2000s, you're IN Hollywood and have never heard of anything. Bullshit."
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Because they were full of people pissed off at whatever lies CNN was pedaling. It destroyed the lefts narrative that majority of people are onboard with leftist BS. They're not.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#13]
So CNN is assuming they were here illegally? They've never heard of work Visa's?

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By McGuy:
So the entire crew working on the bridge were illegals? I thought all they did was pick fruit and hoe weeds.
View Quote

If an article doesn't mention immigration status there's usually just one correct answer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#15]
The workers being immigrants and this bridge falling are two seperate things.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

View Quote

Correct, but isn't it odd that ALL of the missing workers are "immigrants"?  There're no Americans to do the work?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ckbk] [#17]
They had an opportunity to write about a Singaporean boat, crewed by Indians, killing Hondurans and El Salvadorans.  Completely blew it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#18]
They dont allow comments because narrative. People were too easily allowed to destroy it with facts . Cant have that .
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

Correct, but isn't it odd that ALL of the missing workers are "immigrants"?  There're no Americans to do the work?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not for the shit wages that third-worlders will work for.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

The democrats conflating the two and the media parroting it is just another example of democrats using tragedy to further their political goals.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:06:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dsteelman] [#21]

View All Quotes

A good investigative reporter might want to look into the company they were working for and see how many illegals they had working there.

Not that that will ever happen .

If , and that’s a big if, we find out those guys were all illegals, the feds will make it a national holiday
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I'm assuming, due to the nature and location of the work, it was a govt contract.  If so, the govt has the ability to require legal residency for all the workers as part of the contract.  It seems like a finger is pointing that way.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#23]
CNBC did the same thing. People were complaining about bias in their stories so they just turned it all off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#24]
If the article doesn't allow comments then that's a sign it's propaganda.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Remember went my local news website had open comments for stories.  Didn’t matter what the damn story was about it would fester into a political shit flinging fest in record time.  

Was sometimes amazing about how a kitten stuck in a tree suddenly was all the Republicans fault.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Saw a blurb yesterday that it has something to do with the Jones Act.

Foreign flagged vessels (like this one) do not have to have the as high a level of safety standards and safety equipment as US flagged vessels, thus they are cheaper to procure and operate.

Only rub is if any of the crew are US citizens on a foreign flagged vessel it somehow looses its foreign flagged status and requires the US level of safety equipment and safety standards.  

But if they are all non-US citizens then they are good to go with lower safety standards and cheaper vessels.

Then on top of that we're hearing Pete Buttigeg cut tugboat budgets by like 40% or something along those lines so this didn't have a tug.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:13:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Almost all MSM news sites got rid of comments in the run up to 2016 where there was very vocal support of Trump and people were calling BS in most of their articles.

I watched it transpire.

NPR even had a wishy washy article about how great a decision it would be. Look at the article publish date.

https://www.npr.org/sections/publiceditor/2016/08/17/489516952/npr-website-to-get-rid-of-comments
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
Both CNN and Yahoo got rid of their comments around the time I joined this forum.

It was obvious why they closed the comments; every top comment contained facts that proved the article to either be completely false or highlighted their bias.

edit: I believe they claimed the reason was because they wanted the comments/conversations to happen on their social media pages instead of on the direct websites.
View Quote
Yahoo still has comments, you have to get real creative in order to get past the filters if you want to post anything that doesn't fit their leftist agenda.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Looking at the online comments on news sites is like peering into the campground pit toilet on July 5th.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Very few of the left leaning networks allow it. Most of them probably want you to take it to social media.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BattletweeteR:
If the article doesn't allow comments then that's a sign it's propaganda.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TheAvatar9265ft:
Looking at the online comments on news sites is like peering into the campground pit toilet on July 5th.
View Quote
so pretty much a mirror of GD
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

You can pay illegals a hell of a lot less and offer them zero benefits.  The Republican party talks a lot of shit about controlling the border but rarely has anything to say about employing illegals.

It's not a coincidence that donors to Republican candidates want things exactly this way.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:53:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kraquine] [#34]
They do.
They just don't open the comment section when it is likely to attract hate speech.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Just doing the high paying, union jobs us gringos don’t want.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#36]
If you don't agree with the MSM, then it's hate speech, right?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:

View Quote

Easier to ban through the app?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Why does CNN not allow comments?

Because it's so easy to poke holes in, or totally destroy, their commie bullshit.

Snowflakes would MELT!!!

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Lion:

I am first generation, of legal immigrants.  What is crossing the border now is not the same thing.

View Quote

I guess 2nd generation here. Grandparents came here legally from mexico, became US citizens and taught their kids how great the US was, that they didn't owe mexico anything and to speak English. They picked the strawberry fields for work and didn't leach off the government.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#41]
your getting your bridges confused

the work crew on the bridge deck were Hispanic , not the crew on the ship's bridge(who were Indian)....which is what your talking about regarding the Jones Act

Originally Posted By gogetumnow:

Saw a blurb yesterday that it has something to do with the Jones Act.

Foreign flagged vessels (like this one) do not have to have the as high a level of safety standards and safety equipment as US flagged vessels, thus they are cheaper to procure and operate.

Only rub is if any of the crew are US citizens on a foreign flagged vessel it somehow looses its foreign flagged status and requires the US level of safety equipment and safety standards.  

But if they are all non-US citizens then they are good to go with lower safety standards and cheaper vessels.

Then on top of that we're hearing Pete Buttigeg cut tugboat budgets by like 40% or something along those lines so this didn't have a tug.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Landpimp:
your getting your bridges confused

the work crew on the bridge deck were Hispanic , not the crew on the ship's bridge(who were Indian)....which is what your talking about regarding the Jones Act

View Quote

Yeah I guess we're dealing with two bridges here.

Both manned by absolutely zero American citizens.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Whenever I find that I have a surplus of faith in humanity, I visit the comments section of any news website and am quickly relieved of that burden.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#44]
They closed the toll booths to stop traffic, but didn't send a vehicle across to get the workers?

Sad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top