Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2023 7:50:33 AM EDT
I've been shooting Nikon for years and often wondered why they never offered that feature.

Years ago I had a Pentax K100D, and that wonderful little camera had it built in.   Was awesome to slap on a 50mm lens, and be able to shoot really slow with it and still get solid images.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 8:17:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kraquine] [#1]

They called it Vibration Reduction (VR) but I don't know how it compares with your Pentax
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 8:38:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAmaazingCarl] [#2]
Originally Posted By vmax84:
I've been shooting Nikon for years and often wondered why they never offered that feature.

Years ago I had a Pentax K100D, and that wonderful little camera had it built in.   Was awesome to slap on a 50mm lens, and be able to shoot really slow with it and still get solid images.
View Quote

I'd guess it was a business decision by someone at some point?

It's in the new mirrorless bodies, as well as in the higher end lenses.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Simple.  Money.  Canon, Nikon, etc. all use lens mounted IS.  Why?  They can add a premium for the lens to get more money.  You'll pay more for each lens rather than just a bit more for a body for the same function.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Just they way they did it. now I believe most are using both in body and lens stabilization so you can get the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 10/18/2023 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#6]
My Canon EOS R6 mk II has in body stabilization, and coupled with lens with stabilization you can get some really amazing slow shutter speed without a tripod.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 2:43:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RED_5:

I'd like to know how in-body IS works,  that said...

I'm a Nikon guy.  I have an F5 (35mm Film), D7100 and D600 (both DSLR)..

All three can use all the same lenses..

None of the bodies have IS, but several of the lenses I have DO, so I get the benefit of IS on 3 bodies instead of only 1

actually, I have an adapter for my Fuji mirrorless (no IS) camera, and ALL my Nikon lenses work on that too, so make that 4 bodies
that make use of the IS feature

I think that the majority of camera owners are in the same boat.... IS on the lens is more versitile than IS on the camera body
but this is a YMMV issue, depending on what someone already owns.

I'm not ready to fork out a lot of money to replace what I can already do.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RED_5:
Originally Posted By Hard_Rock:
Simple.  Money.  Canon, Nikon, etc. all use lens mounted IS.  Why?  They can add a premium for the lens to get more money.  You'll pay more for each lens rather than just a bit more for a body for the same function.

I'd like to know how in-body IS works,  that said...

I'm a Nikon guy.  I have an F5 (35mm Film), D7100 and D600 (both DSLR)..

All three can use all the same lenses..

None of the bodies have IS, but several of the lenses I have DO, so I get the benefit of IS on 3 bodies instead of only 1

actually, I have an adapter for my Fuji mirrorless (no IS) camera, and ALL my Nikon lenses work on that too, so make that 4 bodies
that make use of the IS feature

I think that the majority of camera owners are in the same boat.... IS on the lens is more versitile than IS on the camera body
but this is a YMMV issue, depending on what someone already owns.

I'm not ready to fork out a lot of money to replace what I can already do.

In my Pentax K5 it works by moving the sensor to compensate for the movement.  It works so well that I seldom use tripods with that camera.  Only mounted it on a tripod for those very slow night shots or with ND filters.

For what I read, Pentax managed to make the sensor movement so well controlled that the K3 model can take astrophography without those special tracking devices.  The sensor does the tracking.   If I was into night photography would probably get one.

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rossi:

In my Pentax K5 it works by moving the sensor to compensate for the movement.  It works so well that I seldom use tripods with that camera.  Only mounted it on a tripod for those very slow night shots or with ND filters.

For what I read, Pentax managed to make the sensor movement so well controlled that the K3 model can take astrophography without those special tracking devices.  The sensor does the tracking.   If I was into night photography would probably get one.

View Quote

It's the Astrotracer function on Pentax.  A few cameras have the built-in GPS and Astrotracer function (K1, K1mkII), some others need the external O-GPS unit mounted on the hot shoe to use the Astrotracer.  There are limits on shooting time in Astrotracer mode, dependent on focal length and location, due to the amount of sensor movement available.  I haven't used it, but used within its limitations it seems to work very well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Some notes on Pentax SR (Shake Reduction) if anyone is considering Pentax.

Works great for adding IS to lenses without IS.  Many Pentax shooters still use old Pentax glass on their DSLRs.

Pentax lenses do not have IS.  Exception being one (IIRC) Pentax 645 system lens and older Sigma K mount glass.  Sigma stopped supporting the K mount.

The SR effectiveness is not visible through the OVF.  Definite advantage to mirrorless and EVF in this regard.  (I've acquired essential tremors, and am having issues holding my AF point stable enough to get AF lock using telephoto glass, so I currently researching various gear for a partial system change next year.  It will be mirrorless.  I will be keeping some of my Pentax gear.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top